• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Vape? Why Did You Start and What Are You Rockin Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

impact

Banned
I miss when the term vape was used to reference a vaporizer to smoke your weed

now it's some fucking meme stick for tobacco

Audioboxer

I've been vaping for 3 or so years. Currently use an iStick 50W and a couple Subtanks, for the most part. Have a couple more portable devices as well.

I don't believe it's 100% safe and healthy, but I couldn't ever leave my bed if those were my guidelines for an activity. The proof is in the pudding; every aspect of my health has improved since I stopped smoking.

I can understand caution, but the anti-vape crusade/backlash is really bizarre to me and is a public health shame.

As always with global industry behemoths a lot of the scaremongering will be paid for by tobacco companies. In the same way the oil tycoons will fund anti-global warming campaigns/possibly green energy proposals.

GavinGT

Banned
Yes, I started maybe 2 and a half years ago with disposables (ugh) to replace a bad habit of smoking I hadn't been able to kick for years.

I got this little pen I got from Vapor Blends which is just some brand they sell in my local Smoker Friendly:
http://vapor-blends.com/product/the-twist-kit-with-900-mah-battery/

I have no idea of the quality of my "rig" but I'm not very interested in "clouds" or "lingo," I'm just glad to be off the cigs and still getting enough nicotine (which, apparently, is way less than what you 'need' when all the other ingredients in analog cigarettes have their effect).

This is basically 4-year old technology at this point. It was game-changing when it was introduced, but now there's much better stuff out there. Smaller, more vapor with less inhale time, and better battery life. You also get QOL improvements like being able to vape while it charges and a battery indicator. And if that's the tank you're still using, with the long wicks on it, that shit was supplanted with better tech long ago. If you're happy with it, no problem. But I'd really suggest giving the Ego One a shot. It's about the same price and it's a much better experience.

Exis

I vape, been doing it for years.. trying to cut down a bit but even at level 3 I find it a bit hard to do.

Sinoox

Banned
It is an entirely unregulated industry, with little to no long term health impact research, and some of the best preliminary research says that there are genetic responses that mimic those of cancer cells in traditional smokers.

I think any argument that vaping is safer at this point is suspicious at best, and an outright falsehood at worst. If you want to fool yourself so you can justify your continued smoking, that is fine. But I think trying to present it as safer and "potentially saving millions of lives" is a really shitty thing to do.

I can't read this right now, but I will. It's beautiful in Colorado right now. All I can say is that e-cigs are not very complicated devices. The atomizer and the e-juice are the main two elements that make contact with your mouth and lungs. E-juice is made out of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin coupled with a small amount of nicotine. The atomizer contains cotton and a metal coil (kanthal, titanium, nickle, and stainless steel).

The big problem with a lot of studies is that they don't want to research these specific aspects of the e-cig. They'll buy random devices from China and call it day. Considering it's so unregulated who's to say they're doing studies of what I'm vaping? These studies are never specific which is why they're so unreliable in a lot of cases. Not talking about this study, but I'm already having my doubts.

I miss when the term vape was used to reference a vaporizer to smoke your weed

now it's some fucking meme stick for tobacco

A lot of people are using vaporizers to vape wax. It's no different from a regular vape in terms of function, but more people are going to be using them to quit smoking cigarettes.

redlegs87

I tried vaping to stop smoking last year. Lasted like 3 months before falling back into smoking. Since then I went on the patch and have successfully stopped smoking for over 8 months so far.

Rafy

I can't read this right now, but I will. It's beautiful in Colorado right now. All I can say is that e-cigs are not very complicated devices. The atomizer and the e-juice are the main two elements that make contact with your mouth and lungs. E-juice is made out of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin coupled with a small amount of nicotine. The atomizer contains cotton and a metal coil (kanthal, titanium, nickle, and stainless steel).

The big problem with a lot of studies is that they don't research these aspects of the e-cig. They'll buy random devices from China and call it day. Considering it's so unregulated who's to say they're doing studies of what I'm vaping? These studies are never specific which is why they're so unreliable in a lot of cases.

Many times they only test extreme conditions like that one study that tested a CE5/4 at 7 fucking volts or the one that was basically constantly vaping dry hits on an RDA.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
This is basically 4-year old technology at this point. It was game-changing when it was introduced, but now there's much better stuff out there. Smaller, more vapor with less inhale time, and better battery life. You also get QOL improvements like being able to vape while it charges and a battery indicator. And if that's the tank you're still using, with the long wicks on it, that shit was supplanted with better tech long ago. If you're happy with it, no problem. But I'd really suggest giving the Ego One a shot. It's about the same price and it's a much better experience.

I'm not against upgrading but I can't make sense of the scene, the terminology, any of it. Every online community is, like, hardcore embedded with the acronyms and the lingo. I don't even really WANT to know that much about it. Give the tobacco companies some credit: they made it easy, that's for sure.

I'd like to buy a svelte pen of similar size that gives me all the better whatsits. I did get away from the awful original tank and am onto the mini's with the wicks at the base.

pro-tank-mini.png

I replace the atomizer about twice a week since I fell in with this chocolate flavor (that I have no idea who makes) that is the only thing I settled on liking, that clogs 'em up quick.

That's fine I'm still spending like a quarter of what I was on analog cigs, and those made me feel like shit!

Griss

I used to be a social smoker but over the past year had become a regular smoker, and I was worried. I realised that vaping might help me quit.

Went into a vape shop in Miami three months ago and the dude sold me some shit, I had no idea what it was. Cost me $90 all told, with extra coils and stuff included.

Three months later... I haven't had a cigarette since and I use my vaporiser all the time. I love it so much I'm considering getting a new, better one. Mine doesn't hold a charge very long and doesn't have a large tank. I get about 2 days of use out of both the tank and the battery. I'd like more than that. On the other hand, it has a sleek stainless steel finish and is the size of a large marker, which is cool.

I think what I have is some Kangertech Clean Smoke but I really have no idea.

I'm not against upgrading but I can't make sense of the scene, the terminology, any of it. Every online community is, like, hardcore embedded with the acronyms and the lingo. I don't even really WANT to know that much about it. Give the tobacco companies some credit: they made it easy, that's for sure.

Boy do I know that feeling. I just want a smoke, not make this a damn hobby, you know?

I don't believe it's 100% safe and healthy, but I couldn't ever leave my bed if those were my guidelines for an activity. The proof is in the pudding; every aspect of my health has improved since I stopped smoking.

I can understand caution, but the anti-vape crusade/backlash is really bizarre to me and is a public health shame.

I was absolutely astonishing how much better I felt after a month of replacing smoking with vaping. I've quit smoking before, and it felt no different at all to a month of quitting cold turkey.

The anti-vape backlash is totally offensive to me. The odds are that this is vastly more healthy than smoking and that we should be transitioning heavy smokers to this, not scaring them off. I don't think there are many non-smokers out there suddenly looking to vape, or believing that it's totally safe.

I don't do it much anymore, but this is what I have.
gXeDOpZ.jpg

Was about $80 I believe. It's great for using at home but unfortunately it's on the bigger side so it's not as comfortable to carry around with you compared to some of the smaller, more compact ones.

Rafy

come by the GAF vaping thread anytime, people there are very helpful no matter what gear you use, especially when it comes to juice recommendations, nicotine ratios and the cheapest e-tailers.

Sinoox

Banned
Many times they only test extreme conditions like that one study that tested a CE5/4 at 7 fucking volts or the one that was basically constantly vaping dry hits on an RDA.

Right, which really makes me question their motives. No doubt big tobacco is funding a lot of these studies and by no means should this be a controversial thought. Specifics are literally everything, otherwise the study is pointless.

Rafy

Right, which really makes me question their motives. No doubt big tobacco is funding a lot of these studies and by no means should this be a controversial thought. Specifics are literally everything, otherwise the study is pointless.

They are not even hiding it anymore. Here in Italy days after a massive tax on nicotine liquids was successfully signed into law, Renzi (the PM) was the one holding the scissors at the Phillip Morris iQOS factory ribbon cutting ceremony.

GavinGT

Banned

I'd like to buy a svelte pen of similar size that gives me all the better whatsits. I did get away from the awful original tank and am onto the mini's with the wicks at the base.

pro-tank-mini.png

I replace the atomizer about twice a week since I fell in with this chocolate flavor (that I have no idea who makes) that is the only thing I settled on liking, that clogs 'em up quick.

That's fine I'm still spending like a quarter of what I was on analog cigs, and those made me feel like shit!

Yeah, everyone is way up their own ass with the lingo. It's hard to learn anything.

I would say you should get rebuildable atomizers that fit that tank, because you're spending $9 every two weeks on atomizers and that's crazy. It's just the cotton inside that gets nasty (and the wire after a while too, but that takes weeks). One pack of rebuildables will last you a lifetime. Unfortunately, you seem to be locked into that very limited Vapor-Blends ecosystem and they don't offer rebuildables.

If you got this and this you'd be set. You'd also need some unbleached cotton for rewicking and maybe some Kanthal wire if you want to try your hand at making new coils. Then just watch this nice Chinese lady show you how to do everything. Really, you won't even need to make your own coils. Just disassemble the atomizer, heat up the coil with a lighter, then dunk it in cold water and all the gunk comes right off. Then put in a new cotton wick and reassemble. It's quick and easy once you know the steps.

I have a TFV4 SMOK with a triple col I just replaced, today, and a Koopor box mod.

Haven't touched a cigarette in over 6 months.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Yeah, everyone is way up their own ass with the lingo. It's hard to learn anything.

I would say you should get rebuildable atomizers that fit that tank, because you're spending $9 every two weeks on atomizers and that's crazy. One pack of rebuildables will last you a lifetime. Unfortunately, you seem to be locked into that very limited Vapor-Blends ecosystem and they don't offer rebuildables.

If you got this and this you'd be set. You'd also need some unbleached cotton for rewicking and maybe some Kanthal wire if you want to try your hand at making new coils. Then just watch this nice Chinese lady show you how to do everything. Really, you won't even need to make your own coils. Just disassemble the atomizer, heat up the coil with a lighter, then dunk it in cold water and all the gunk comes right off. Then put in a new cotton wick and reassemble. It's quick and easy once you know the steps.

Thanks for the tips! I'll check out the links after work. Nice to have things demystified. :)

Rizific

i vape. smoked for about 10 years and quit cold turkey. towards the end of my schooling, i started again and immediately realized how fucking disgusting it is. ecigs got me off of cigarettes and ive been vaping for almost 4 years.
The actual vape stuff that replicates the "nicotine rush" people are addicted to are expensive

misconception. use a juice with higher nicotine content.

Tomtis

Didn't even know about the "vape culture"-thingy, but yeah, that seems ridiculous.

However, i bought an E-cigarette last week since it is time to quit smoking the real thing. Don't know if i am very fund of it, definitely not the same thing as the ordinary tobacco, but should work as a substitute the first couple of weeks. I will also combine it with some swedish snus (which i don't really find very pleasing either).

But hopefully i will be tobacco-free in a couple of months, E-cig included. So maybe it is good that i don't find either that appealing.

I have a CoolFire 4 inokin box mod, its 40W. I use a Kangertech genitank with it. It hits marvelously. I keep the wattage to about 18W and the voltage to 5V. Thats the sweet spot for me. The coils for the genitank are cheap and cost like $7 for 5 of them and 1 coil will be fresh for about a month. Didnt tpuch a ciggy for years, sadly I picked back up smoking cigs after going through a hard breakup and have been smokin like a chimney for the last few months, the stress got me and I said fuck it and bought some smokes, kind of a crutch for me.

I will be switching back to my box mod here soon. Holy shit do I ever notice the difference in energy levels, mood and overall sense of well being increase when on the vapor.

This is what I got

Vestal

Gold Member
Quit smoking almost 2 years ago for vape. Down to a .3 Nicotine level on my juice. Use a Sigelei book mod with a Herakles plus tank on .4 coils. My lungs feel so much better now and I am running every other day about 5 miles.

Have not had a cigarette since I quit and honestly now the smell repulses me.

Dipper145

I had an e-cig like 4 years ago and just used it to smoke inside places I couldn't smoke normally so it didn't help me quit at all. Between then and now it went from easy to get nicotine in the liquids, to difficult/impossible, back to easy again, which has been weird to see. Also saw the transition from just calling them e-cigs to the whole "vaping" thing that it's now recognized as, for better or worse. Haven't touched the thing in like 3 years or so though, and will probably never touch one again either.

Now i'm just rockin' the traditional analog cigs...(I'm still the person you see out for a jog with a smoke in their mouth, which everyone I know finds just so hilarious)

Hex

Banned
My roomie is a photographer, and took some vape pics of one of his models and I have since much to my cringe had my eyes opened to so much.
First nothing makes a cute assed girl look like total trash than doing their best diesel engine.
I hate cigs but cigs could be sexy in extreme cases.
I also found out this girl had been sponsored by a vape company and is an official ...I shit you not..."vape model"....and that there are a number of magazines and there are competetive vaping events....yes competetive vaping events... fucking seriously....

My roomie is a photographer, and took some vape pics of one of his models and I have since much to my cringe had my eyes opened to so much.
First nothing makes a cute assed girl look like total trash than doing their best diesel engine.
I hate cigs but cigs could be sexy in extreme cases.
I also found out this girl had been sponsored by a vape company and is an official ...I shit you not..."vape model"....and that there are a number of magazines and there are competetive vaping events....yes competetive vaping events... fucking seriously....
Yeah, I never got the whole "culture" thing but eh, everything has a culture these days.

I used to be a pack a day smoker. I'm now on year 3 without touching a cigarette thanks to vaping. My smoking addition was heavy and I would have never been able to quit if not for e cigs.

This stuff is like crack

the_remes.jpg

Sinoox

Banned
This is what I got

That's what I have too and I used it before upgrading to the TC100. Innokin makes the best mods and they're a responsible company. That being said the battery on that thing would drive me nuts. It drained way too fast and charged way too slow. Happy to say the TC100 lasts all day and charges quickly with the 2amp charging port. They run for around $50-60 with just the battery only.

How's that clearomizer though? Kanger was always the best when it came to flavor until I went with Uwell stainless steel coils.

This stuff is like crack

What does it taste like and what's in it?

Wreav

Banned
The anti-vape backlash is totally offensive to me. The odds are that this is vastly more healthy than smoking and that we should be transitioning heavy smokers to this, not scaring them off. I don't think there are many non-smokers out there suddenly looking to vape, or believing that it's totally safe.

I don't think the backlash is against vaping in general, but more of the tying of one's identity to a subculture, and what can be seen as an obnoxious one at that by outsiders.

I'd rather stand next to a vaper than a smoker any day, and I think I'm in the majority.

I bought a rig. I fell back into the cigarettes when things got pretty stressful at home, but I'm going to give it another earnest try when I'm done this pack.

Malvolio

No, but walking from building to building between classes allows me to catch second hand vape from at least 100 different sources every day. I just wish campus security would enforce the rules that are intended to prevent this.

Ashby

I would say you should get rebuildable atomizers that fit that tank, because you're spending $9 every two weeks on atomizers and that's crazy. It's just the cotton inside that gets nasty (and the wire after a while too, but that takes weeks). One pack of rebuildables will last you a lifetime. Unfortunately, you seem to be locked into that very limited Vapor-Blends ecosystem and they don't offer rebuildables.

Man, this all sounds kind of complicated.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Yea. Got an eGo from my ex for a birthday present after I quit smoking and have moved on to various box mods.

Wish this shit would have been popular when I was a smoker. Would have switched way sooner.

Using an Endura T22 rn and I love the thing

GavinGT

Banned
Man, this all sounds kind of complicated.

Rebuilding most atomizers is actually pretty easy. Changing out the cotton is particularly easy. Just unscrew a thing, pull out the old cotton, and put in new cotton. Just like this. The whole atomizer is like five pieces in total, and the first time you take it apart it'll be pretty evident how they fit together.

Or you can just buy a new atomizer every so often. That's up to you. I did it for years, but after taking a little time to figure out how to rebuild them I'm glad I did.

That's what I have too and I used it before upgrading to the TC100. Innokin makes the best mods and they're a responsible company. That being said the battery on that thing would drive me nuts. It drained way too fast and charged way too slow. Happy to say the TC100 lasts all day and charges quickly with the 2amp charging port. They run for around $50-60 with just the battery only.

How's that clearomizer though? Kanger was always the best when it came to flavor until I went with Uwell stainless steel coils.
Its good. The taste is smooth. Best I have had so far but I'm not much of a connoisseur. Its basically the tank that the guy at the vape shop reccomended after asking me some questions. The battery on the Coolfire is kinda shitty but it does last me the day and I just charge it overnight so its doing the trick. Ill think about upgrading when this thing starts dying.

why has been this such a success? all of a sudden bam and its everywhere
Because they are delicious and have helped many people to quit smoking cigarettes. Plus its perfect for killing time between Rocket League matches.

Sinoox

Banned
We talking portable vaporizers? Hail to the king.

I use to own a Pax, wasn't that thrilled with the original. It was sleek and fun to use at parties though. How are the new editions?

For dry herb this is a fantastic vaporizer:
aa3fRmj.jpg

It's called the Firefly and it allows you to control the heat with a button (novel concept, huh? lol). It works extremely well though and saves tons of material.

Synless

I use a Kanger mini and rock the Redstone juice. I love the taste and do it without nicotine.

Wants is this about units blowing up in someone's face?

Imbarkus

No, but walking from building to building between classes allows me to catch second hand vape from at least 100 different sources every day. I just wish campus security would enforce the rules that are intended to prevent this.

You breathe far worse every day as a result of the operation of cars around you, not to mention general industrial pollution.

You and me are like minded. I see nicotine as a healthy substance by itself, similar to caffeine. I use to snus like crazy though. That stuff is great, but it does recess the hell out of your gums after a few years of usage. I'd use it 24/7 and never had a single issue outside of that. It's really easy to alternate between vaping and snusing. If you're in America the main brand we've got is General and you can find them at most gas stations now.

I found all varieties of General pretty foul, honestly, and I'm suspicious of anything sold in america marked 'snus', even an authentic brand like General. What got me into them originally was being in one of the test markets for Camel snus, when they were just importing and repackaging the swedish stuff, but when it went into general production they started using their own flue-cured stuff. Blech.

If I ever make it to Norway I could see picking it up again, especially as I get older and lung issues become more threatening.

I use a Kanger mini and rock the Redstone juice. I love the taste and do it without nicotine.

Wants is this about units blowing up in someone's face?
People push safety chasing the hottest, biggest clouds. Sometimes batteries vent. Usually that just means they suddenly lose charge, but sometimes they can explode. Really dirty mods can build up enough resistance to start a fire, too.

Use a regulated mod and don't use corroded batteries and you're golden.

studyguy

My friend owns a vape shop.
I've tried their flavored, non-nicotine juices and they're okay.
I don't partake in anything beyond that.

The place is a little vape bar though next to a dope coffee shop so I've gone there a couple times to watch shows. It's real chill.

Philly40

It is an entirely unregulated industry, with little to no long term health impact research, and some of the best preliminary research says that there are genetic responses that mimic those of cancer cells in traditional smokers.

I think any argument that vaping is safer at this point is suspicious at best, and an outright falsehood at worst. If you want to fool yourself so you can justify your continued smoking, that is fine. But I think trying to present it as safer and "potentially saving millions of lives" is a really shitty thing to do.

Hey, I can also pull quotes from long articles

It is certainly reasonable to carefully scrutinize any consumer product like this. However, what I have a problem with is the fact that the FDA has given its seal of approval to the irredeemably toxic regular tobacco cigarettes—while they are doing everything they can to discourage people from switching to the much safer fake ones. That makes no sense from a public health perspective.

I'm not a fan of "vape culture",
hearing someone refer to their setup as a "rig" makes me cringe just as much as a PC enthusiast using the the same term,

but I haven't smoked a cigarette in over a year after 20+ years of smoking and trying to give up

Sinoox

Banned
I found all varieties of General pretty foul, honestly, and I'm suspicious of anything sold in america marked 'snus', even an authentic brand like General. What got me into them originally was being in one of the test markets for Camel snus, when they were just importing and repackaging the swedish stuff, but when it went into general production they started using their own flue-cured stuff. Blech.

If I ever make it to Norway I could see picking it up again, especially as I get older and lung issues become more threatening.

The flavors sold in America are original, white, wintergreen, and mint (which is my go to flavor). Swedish Match actually just imports General Snus from Sweden and repackages it for America. Any other brand is illegitimate snus; like that unrefrigerated Camel and Marlboro crap. Still, a lot of dumbass employees will fail to refrigerate General Snus which can potentially release some small amount of carcinogens. It's still better than smoking though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom