• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most innovative shooter in years is now on Xbox One (SuperHOT)

This is promising because I thought it was meant to just be 2 hours long? Which I didn't think was worth the steep asking price.

Two hours would be an excessive amount of time to spend on this campaign. I went through it slowly and am pretty sure ended up spending around 1:40.

There is a lot of challenge and other post-game content, so there's a lot more to play with if you want. But the game is super short.

Honestly I feel the bigger problem is the lousy story, particularly with how front and center it is. It was actively a minus for my experience.

EDIT:
It's a cool game, I don't want to come across as too negative. But I'd go into it with more medium expectations.

Caleones

Banned
https://store.xbox.com/en-US/Xbox-One/Games/SUPERHOT/0856a106-226c-48cc-a062-fe9fcec37ddb
https://youtu.be/gBwAoBVraXQ

EXW8m4y.gif

5v7XEHI.gif

The main OT is over here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1189304

I'm sorry but Splatoon hasn't been out a year yet (released on May 28, 2015), so Super HOT cannot be the most innovative in years.

I put 20+ hours into the game on PC. 4 on the campaign (which is more of a fun extended tutorial wih a narratice), 16 on the various modes and arenas. That's where the meat of the game is
Are you double-dipping on console? Did you use a controller on the PC version?

Curious how well it plays with a controller.

Megatron

Calm down Splatoon fans and let this game have its moment, lol. Its ok if some people find this game more innovative.

Novocaine

Still not showing up on the Australian store. Are we getting it? I'd rather not fuck around with region switching unless I can help it.

Do people not realize that "most innovative shooter in years" is a reference to a moment in the game?
Why would people who haven't played it even recognize that?

It's a bold attempt from the developers at a meme, I guess, but I think it's probably backfired if anything.

Still not showing up on the Australian store. Are we getting it? I'd rather not fuck around with region switching unless I can help it.

Head exploding into red bits is too reminiscent of blood, you folks probably won't get it.

(but seriously, I don't have an answer for you)

Reads "Most innovative shooter in years is now available on XB1"

Leaves the thread disappointed that he can't play Splatoon on XB1.

Why would people who haven't played it even recognize that?

It's a bold attempt from the developers at a meme, I guess, but I think it's probably backfired if anything.

It's just a joke in the context of the type of game it is. The whole game is centered around being submerged in the "game" of SUPERHOT and becoming a slave to it. The quote is just adding to the story of the game.

Why does every clever thing in a game these days have to be considered an attempt at a meme?

RowdyReverb

It's just a joke in the context of the type of game it is. The whole game is centered around being submerged in the "game" of SUPERHOT and becoming a slave to it. The quote is just adding to the story of the game.

Why does every clever thing in a game these days have to be considered an attempt at a meme?
Yeah, it's more of an inside joke than a meme. I thought it was funny, especially looking back at reviews and stuff afterward

The game literally tells you to spread the idea to other people. That's what a meme is. It might be justified in the game's story, but ultimately that's still what it is.

ViciousDS

Banned
DON'T FORGET TO FIRE!!!!!

r73VJe3.gif

Cause the game is SupaHot!

Can't wait to pick this up after I'm done with UC4.....which comes tonight lol

Looks much like a game that's been around for years called "Minimum" by Atari, still in Beta I think, but was on sale in Steam

Twentieth

Do people not realize that "most innovative shooter in years" is a reference to a moment in the game?

Of course not, how can you expect people that haven't played the game to know that? A lot of people reading about this haven't. That being said, I know you're referencing the posts defending Splatoon (on a thread about a XB1 game), which are just embarrassing.

About the game itself, I found it to be cool. The story is pretentious and didn't do anything for me.

Why would people who havent played it say it's less innovative than Splatoon?
I won't seriously defend the Nintendo folks, but they could have watched videos or even played a bit of Superhot and decided otherwise. (The meme comes late in the game, I think.) It might not be a particularly solid ground to stand on, but we all make quick judgments like that sometimes. Surely the developers were aware just how defensive a lot of gamers can be...

I've been super negative again, so I just want to reiterate: Superhot is a pretty fun game, it's just short. I'm still glad I bought (and easily beat) it day one. I should get back to some of the challenges soon!

Mdk7

Why the fuck didn't they release this in March, as they were supposed to?!? ;___;
Now I won't have time to play it (but I will definitely buy it).

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Regardless of the reference, I can't disagree with it being the most innovative shooter in years. It's a stylized way to dodge & cut bullets as if you were The One in a natural, simple way with no complicated way about it.

It can state that claim for real.

Been watching it for a long long time, have to wait a bit longer before I get on XB1, I want to see what E3 brings to see if this new XB1 version really will happen.

"Minimum" uses voxels, guns and swords, looks similar enough, but I'm open to the differences if you can explain them to me, genuinely interested
Minimum is a fast-paced hectic multiplayer shooter with a layers of complexity like crafting and upgradable weapons

SuperHOT is essentially a first person action puzzler, almost a turn-based FPS, with a focus on flow, positioning, and strategically planning your next attack and movement. Think Hotline Miami

I really like Minimum too, but aside from a vaguely similar untextured look there's nothing really comparable about these two games.

Lol at the anger that spawned because of the Splatoon comments. Specially when most of them were jokes.

It's as if people got mad when someone who hasn't played Portal didn't get the joke about a cake being a lie.

RaginRoss

Really enjoying this so far.

Spent far too much time in the program that lets you manually run the 'SUPER' 'HOT' voiceover and text.

Liking the UI as well, it's clever.

Novocaine

Lol at the anger that spawned because of the Splatoon comments. Specially when most of them were jokes.

It's as if people got mad when someone who hasn't played Portal didn't get the joke about a cake being a lie.

Or maybe like Portal's cake joke it got real old real quick.

Megatron

I won't seriously defend the Nintendo folks, but they could have watched videos or even played a bit of Superhot and decided otherwise. (The meme comes late in the game, I think.) It might not be a particularly solid ground to stand on, but we all make quick judgments like that sometimes. Surely the developers were aware just how defensive a lot of gamers can be...

I've been super negative again, so I just want to reiterate: Superhot is a pretty fun game, it's just short. I'm still glad I bought (and easily beat) it day one. I should get back to some of the challenges soon!

Watching videos isnt enough to draw a conclusion. They coukd have played 'a bit of it'? Its a 2 hour game! If they didnt play long enough to get to that then yeah, not enough to draw a conclusion.

Lets face it. Its mostly people who didnt play it getting upset, and theres no reason to. The release of superhot doesnt make splatoon a bad game or something. I havent played superhot so I cant weigh in on the innovative debate, but splatoon didnt strike me as particularly innovative. Stylish and fun absolutely, but not a lot that I truly consider innovative.

Top Bottom