• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rose and the Old Castle of Twilight |Import OT| roze to tasogare no kojou

takoyaki

facebook_ogp79sz2.png

Rose and the Old Castle of Twilight

Masayuki Furuya is returning from htoL#NIQ -Hotaru no Nikki- to direct Rose and the Old Castle of Twilight, but the game is a completely new work. Furuya also designed the game's characters. Hajime Sugie is also returning from htoL#NIQ -Hotaru no Nikki- to compose the music.

• developer: Nippon Ichi Software
  • original title: ロゼと黄昏の古城 (roze to tasogare no kojou)
  • platform: Vita (physical, digital)
  • genre: Action, Puzzle
  • release: (JP) 04.26.2016, (Asia) 06.23.2016, (US/EU) ???
  • price: ¥6458(Premium Box), ¥4298(Normal Edition), ¥3086 (PSN digital)
  • size: 893MB
  • rating: Cero C
  • official website: http://nippon1.jp/consumer/rose/

charactersplot8dq43.jpg

castle0dspd.jpg

The game's protagonist is Rose, who awakens in the ruins of the Old Twilight Castle, which has lost both color and time. The player controls Rose as she manipulates time and the color red with the "Power of Thorns" and aims to escape the Old Twilight Castle.

rose.pnguqp1p.jpg

Along the way, Rose meets a Giant with superhuman strength, who helps Rose reach her goal.

giantwtudy.jpg

gameplayuhcee.jpg

Rose and the Giant work as a team and traverse the castle in search of objects that will help them escape. You fight all kinds of enemies, solve difficult puzzles and try to avoid/overcome deadly traps.

character_titan_pop01r8u0b.jpg
system_titan_pop02oxrvg.jpg

system_gimmick_pop0133umq.jpg
system_gimmick_pop0581uyp.jpg

system_gimmick_pop04o8umi.jpg
system_seal_pop02avx86.jpg

videosi6xfd.jpg

first trailer
second trailer
75min gameplay footage

English Let’s Play [Kotaku, Twitch]

part1/2
part2/2

reviews-pgo6z.jpg

PSN user rating 4.71/5 stars

Famitsu 31/40 (7/8/8/8) [Silver Award]
The reviewers praised the unique art design of the game where cute-looking characters clash with bleak, sepia-colored backgrounds and gruesome depictions of death. They generally liked the gameplay concepts of Rose and the Giant combining their powers to fight, solve challenging puzzles and overcome deadly traps that seem impossible to solve when you first get to them. One of them mentions a fast-travel option via a map for exploring the castle.

faq8mfyw.jpg

Is this a follow-up to Hotaru no Nikki? htoL#NIQ2?
Speaking with Dengeki PlayStation, Furuya said that he heard concerns about The Firefly Diary being too difficult and wanted to adjust the balance during development for Rose and the Old Castle of Twilight. Furuya notes that this isn’t The Firefly Diary 2, as a sequel was hard to envision, and that he’d want to remake the first game before doing a followup.

Will this game get localized?
As far as I know, there hasn’t been an official announcement yet; the spiritual predecessor was localized and released last year.

edit: will there be an Asian version? Will it be in English?
The Asia version will be released on Jun 23rd, but Import stores have it listed with Chinese as the only available language option.

Is the limited edition worth the higher price?
I think it looks great and comes with some nice extras like an artbook and the full OST. Here's an image of the contents.

Is there a demo?
YES! a free demo is available on the Japanese PSN store.

OK GAF, let's post some impressions and help Rose escape!

rosehappyjrugy.png

sources, quotes, images:
dengekionline
gematsu
animenewsnetwork

Any idea if this will be available on the Asia PSN store? I'd like to give the demo a chance. Couldn't find it on my Asia account Vita.

Also I love how they do these nice limited editions even for smaller releases.

If this has the same amount of text as Firefly Diary (which only had text in the menus/credits), I would assume this would be very import friendly. Once someone beats it in a day, it should probably be posted just how much text is in it.

It takes Nisa too long to localize these smaller games, even though I'd assume Yomawari is only taking so long so they have it for October.

takoyaki

Kotaku Import Review

Rose and the Old Castle of Twilight Is a Perfect Melding of Cuteness and Gore

[...]

Rose and the Old Castle of Twilight is a great piece of interactive visual storytelling. Not only is it a tale of friendship and innocence colliding with the eldritch, but also a well-built puzzle platformer. Like Yomawari before it, Rose and the Old Castle of Twilight is a game that was simply a joy to play—even if the final boss destroyed me for hours on end.

Top Bottom