• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upset with no new Metroid? Welcome to the wonderful world of Super Metroid hacks!

Boney

Banned
167258_200x130.png

Understandably so, many Metroid fans have been having a bad couple of years with no new traditional Metroid games in sight and Nintendo has been very coy about the current status of the series. And while I do believe we're going to be seeing more from our favorite heroine soon, that's not what we're here for.

Unless you've been living under a rock for the past 20 years, you should know that the original Super Metroid is widely considered one of the best videogames of all time and for good reason. A masterfully created open ended map overhauled from it's predecesor, with an emphasis on exploration and acquisition of significant power ups. The strong design was accompanied by the creation of a believable ecosystem, gorgeous spritework, wonderful music and too many memorable moments to mention here. It's widely considered the best game in the franchise and every game since then has diverted itself mechanically or design wise to the beauty that is Super Metroid .

So to satisfy you guys before some of you lose it due to deprivation, I invite all of you to be part of GAF plays: Super Metroid Hacks, in which we can find solace in wonderfully designed games made by passionate and talented community that is the Super Metroid scene. These guys have been going strong for over a decade and they show no signs of stopping, making more and more progress and pushing what is thought to be possible to build when handed the keys of the game itself.

Gamasutra's Victoria Earl did a wonderful piece back in 2013 detailing the community's beginnings and later the unprecedented activity, participation and acomplishment they have brought, which is still going strong today. I recommend everyone to give it a read. The hacks themselves range from complete overhauls of the game that are completely new experiences to tweaks that might surprise long time fans due to their ingenuity. These are all Super Metroid hacks that run on actual SNES emulators unlike the wonderful and incredibly ambituous AM2R. So with that said, let's give a small overview to some games and let's start playing! None require any advance technique that isn't wall jumping or morphballs in the air.

http://www.metroidconstruction.com/hacks.php?x=top
The Games:

Super Metroid Redesign:
By Drewseph

Probably the most popular hack out there and for good measure. It was the first one deconstruct the game's code allowing almost complete freedom to rebuilding it. The game consists of a completely overhauled Zebes which is much larger than the original and is geared towards players already familiar with the original. On top of the new structure in place, the game made changes to the gravity making Samus fall much faster making it similar to Zero Mission's speed in a way, there's also some other slight tweaks to Samus playability for great quality of life upgrades. It also includes some new power ups, new enemy properties (many tougher enemies are only suceptible to missiles for example) and a challenging mission.

Metroid: Ice Metal
By Crys

Explore an entirely new planet Nerion III. The game has Samus trying to deactivate an Aurora Unit after some GF Marines were unable to complete the mission. Heavy on exploration with a very non linear design, a unique color palette and with some extra story bits with small text blurbs. We even had a small GAF Thread abut it

Super Metroid Z-Factor

Another complete map overhaul, but other than that, the game plays exactly the same, so for those of you that know Super Metroid's control like the back of your hand it's perfect. Check out this neat teaser to see what's expecting you. Also, be sure to keep an eye on his next hack, Metroid X-Fusion, a Super Metroid hack that is going to be a retelling of Fusion and it's looking fiiiiine

Super Metroid: Eris (2012)

Takes place in planet Eris where you are dispatched after losing contact with the Federation on the planet. Heavy on survival as you explore the broken facility and the rest of the planet for clues.

Metroid Super Zero Mission
by skirt_box

This one comes straight from Japan and supposedly, it's quality is top notch. It's a holy union between Super Metroid and Zero mission, without all of the fluff that Zero Mission adds like way points and cutscenes. It's practically a completely new map and 3 times as large as Zero Mission. Sequence break fans rejoice! As it has tons of opportunities and secrets hidden throughout.

Super Metroid: Project Base

This is more of a tool than a game of itself, it keeps the original map mostly intact, but modifies Samus movement to be more fluid and to conserve momentum, faster firing speed, modified enemies, and new moves like the back flip, the speed ball and advanced equipment.

Hyper Metroid

Using Project Base as.. well a base for the fast paced and fluid action, this is a complete overhaul based on the original Metroid storyline, a new highly costumized weapon system and new areas to explore.

I hope all of you guys come in and share your experiences and help each other progress through these games. I'd be happy to add small reviews or impressions on each hack or add more recomendations as I'm sure some of you know a lot more than me about this.

dukeoflegs

There's a guy on youtube, shyguyexpress, that goes through and does lets plays of a lot of the Super Metroid hacks out there.
Watching his videos got me into the Super Metroid hacks scene. There's some great stuff out there.

Bizzquik

I still don't get how Nintendo didn't release HD Remasters of the Prime series for the WiiU.

The WiiU gamepad would've been perfect for those games.
....Maybe they'll do something like that for Holiday 2016. I mean, they gotta sell something new, right?

nynt9

I still don't get how Nintendo didn't release HD Remasters of the Prime series for the WiiU.

....Maybe they'll do something like that for Holiday 2016. I mean, they gotta sell something new, right?

They did rerelease the Wii version, I guess that's something...

Boney

Banned
There's a guy on youtube, shyguyexpress, that goes through and does lets plays of a lot of the Super Metroid hacks out there.
Watching his videos got me into the Super Metroid hacks scene. There's some great stuff out there.
Interesting! I'd be happy to link his YouTube channel. Having commentary while going through these types of games.

I've played several of these and they're great. Specifically redesign and zero.

I'd also recommend Phazon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u0DK36HDfU

878screenshot1.png

Legacy is a classic one too.
Yep those get a lot of buzz as well, didn't add them et because I personally haven't given them a quick spin and wanted to get the thread out and then continue updating :)

HardRojo

I was disappointed they didn't go for it, but man I would've hated it if they used the GamePad without an option for using the Pro Controller only. Hopefully they'll release it for NX... hopefully.

Neiteio

I hope Hyper Metroid begins with a metroid bouncing all over the place and Samus going "whoa, whoa, calm the fuck down"

Tremis

This man does his research.
One of my favorite streamers, Capt. duck, found a hack which basically rotates the game 90 degrees. It's surprisingly foreign after doing this

I've spent quite some time playing Super Zero Mission and it's indeed amazing so far. Haven't beaten it yet, IIRC I'm not even sure where I'm supposed to go next, I was thinking I'd have to check again the area I had just left next time I play.

ReDesign got an overhaul last year too: http://beta.metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=205

Speaking of ReDesign, the physics changes and overall increase in speed are really welcome because the game is just so massive.

devonodev

The Super Metroid hacking scene definitely isn't as popular as it used to be quite a few years ago, but there's still some very high quality stuff being made. Everyone should have a look.

Edit: A few of my terrible one-room hacks from 2008 are still on the site hahaha

Boney

Banned
I've spent quite some time playing Super Zero Mission and it's indeed amazing so far. Haven't beaten it yet, IIRC I'm not even sure where I'm supposed to go next, I was thinking I'd have to check again the area I had just left next time I play.

ReDesign got an overhaul last year too: http://beta.metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=205

Speaking of ReDesign, the physics changes and overall increase in speed are really welcome because the game is just so massive.
Didn't include because the reviews were mixed but those were probably from earlier versions. But since it's not the original designer I figured I'd get feedback first.
One of my favorite streamers, Capt. duck, found a hack which basically rotates the game 90 degrees. It's surprisingly foreign after doing this
Awesome! Please share his YouTube channel, good commentary on these type of games is great fun.
Gonna try Redesign.
Post away if you're having issues, just got the grapple beam myself and it's pretty darn good if a bit too hard at times.

These are awesome, but I don't think Metroid fans are clamoring for a new Super Metroid game - at least they shouldn't with the plethora of great Metroidvania games widely available, some extremely similar to Metroid like Axiom Verge - but rather they are asking for a new Prime or an evolution of that series.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Didn't include because the reviews were mixed but those were probably from earlier versions. But since it's not the original designer I figured I'd get feedback first.

Awesome! Please share his YouTube channel, good commentary on these type of games is great fun.

Post away if you're having issues, just got the grapple beam myself and it's pretty darn good if a bit too hard at times.

Here's his youtube. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCssT8Jjw3htnpouaCh88N5Q

I found him from his old Dwarffortress tutorial vids. Quite good in their own right.

Here's a link to his Totally Normal Super Metroid playthrough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ljCVc0KZUI

Blackage

I always find fan mods or remakes of things tend to be ridiculously difficult for no good reason(Looking at you Megman Unlimited). Do any of these fall into that category?

Boney

Banned
Is there an hack that fixes the controls of the game?
Quite a few actually. Revision and Project Base alter the gravity, momentum, firing speed, wall jumps among other stuff.

stop hating on super Metroid mang

I always find fan mods or remakes of things tend to be ridiculously difficult for no good reason(Looking at you Megman Unlimited). Do any of these fall into that category?
Most of the hacks here and in general are aimed at players already familiar with the base game, so the difficulty curve starts much higher as power ups are farther in between and enemies are stronger overall. But there's no cheap encounters or insane pixel perfect platforming that requires memorization as one sort of expects from hacks as they have a bit of a bad rep. If you can beat Super Metroid, you should be able to tackle these despite being tougher.

Kyuur

Awesome list, I've known about these for a while but never taken the plunge. Maybe I'll start one tonight!

Slightly off topic but I'm really excited about the Metroid 2 remake, which should be out soon.

Is there an hack that fixes the controls of the game?

E8dR7VC.gif

I know a lot of people tend to favor modified physics / something that resembles zero mission or fusion, but is there a list of quality super metroid hacks that keep the original physics intact?

Boney

Banned
I know a lot of people tend to favor modified physics / something that resembles zero mission or fusion, but is there a list of quality super metroid hacks that keep the original physics intact?
Most of the ones posted keep the originals physics intact. Plus there's a lot more at the link and the best ones are highlighted!

Shifty

I like the sound of the modified physics. Might have to give some of these a go.

What's the consensus on Hyper Metroid? Good?

marmoka

Banned
Thanks for the post. I will try some of them.

By the way, I want to translate Super Metroid texts to another language. Which is the best hacking tool for that? Are these tools appropriate for it? Or they just hack colours and sprites?

Many thanks Gaf!!!

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Subbed. Thanks for this thread. As a longtime Metroid fan I've been dying for new games (worth playing).

Awakened

Control Freak makes it control a bit more like the GBA games, with a few other changes. I'm not a fan, but some people prefer it.
I love it; auto run and brandishing to quickly switch between normal shot and items is so much less cumbersome than the original controls. It's too bad you can't stack it with Redesign.

Boney

Banned
I've been making my way through Redesign and just got the Gravity Suit (which is the most gratifying upgrade one can get in any videogame). While some parts have been a little obtuse and had to look up where to get the high jump boots and the wave beam (was sniffing the wave beam but somehow I missed the obvious passage), overall the game is great, fantastic overall map design in which different loops and paths end up taking you to older areas in which your new power ups will come in handy and has had fantastic platforming, great secrets and really needs you to be paying attention, in which sometimes you think you're being clever by discovering hidden paths to upgrades when actually it was the intended path you needed to take. Some very cool stuff that wasn't present in the orginal that has been super genius.

Really liking it but if you're not gonna appreciate the necesarry keenness I recommend using the easier modification from a different author that came out last year that makes it more linear and adds a hint system.

http://beta.metroidconstruction.com/hack.php?id=205

But needless to say this is quality stuff

Boney

Banned
Ok, I'm sort of cheating here since it's a Metroid 1 hack but god damn if it doesn't look amazing.

It's called Metroid Rogue Dawn by Grimlock and it's almost near completion, just some little details regarding custom music is missing, so it's one to keep an eye out. See for yourself.

If you're interested you can try out his bite sized Metroid hack Metroid Incursion which should take between 1:30 and 2 hours to complete.

Let's try to get this thread to surpass the negative Federation Force threads when we can be playing amazing games instead of complaining!

Thaedolus

Whoa, that Rogue Dawn hack looks incredible. Might have to try that one out. That's some goddamn talent right there

Meesh

The one and only problem I've ever had with any fan hack, especially some of the Metroid ones, is some of them are borderline impossible due to the difficulty. Maybe that's just me... Is there a good Metroid hack that isn't as demanding? Would love to give some of these a shot.

jman2050

Metroid Super Zero Mission is such a great hack it's actually astounding.

In fact I've run into the problem where my memories keep mixing up the hack and the actual MZM into one weird mishmash. So elements specific to MSZM I remember as being part of MZM and vice versa.

Metroid Super Zero Mission is such a great hack it's actually astounding.

In fact I've run into the problem where my memories keep mixing up the hack and the actual MZM into one weird mishmash. So elements specific to MSZM I remember as being part of MZM and vice versa.

Super Zero Mission is indeed great. Too bad it doesn't work with the GBA controls mod. &_&

Top Bottom