• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time releases "The 50 Most Influential Gadgets"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh the Magic Wand. When there's a job to be done and you want the most efficient solution possible.

TiVo should be top 5. It spawned a total revolution in how an entire generation of people watch TV. Whereas the Wii, despite it's original codename, revolutionized absolutely nothing.

I can give it to Apple for the iPod and the iPhone. Even though now and at the time I preferred different devices (iAudio X5 >>> iPod ANY DAY).

Sdkkds

Neo Member
tumblr_lqbkenGFGd1qhhsfyo1_400.gif

That reminds me of something I read (I think on Neogaf) about them making a vibrating Harry Potter Broom. And the girls would use the broom for hours on end.

Edit:
Found a link http://content.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1927306_1927313_1927329,00.html

massoluk

Banned
Ahh the Magic Wand. When there's a job to be done and you want the most efficient solution possible.

TiVo should be top 5. It spawned a total revolution in how an entire generation of people watch TV. Whereas the Wii, despite it's original codename, revolutionized absolutely nothing.

I can give it to Apple for the iPod and the iPhone. Even though now and at the time I preferred different devices (iAudio X5 >>> iPod ANY DAY).

Its design philosophy live on. You can see the hint of its UI in the iPhone, the hardware with the Roku, its casual games with the various mobile games. That, sir, is "the omni-generational appeal of interactive entertainment."

Its design philosophy live on. You can see the hint of its UI in the iPhone, the hardware with the Roku, its casual games with the various mobile games. That, sir, is "the omni-generational appeal of interactive entertainment."

Agreed. The Wii ushered in the casual game landscape and heavily influenced the new F2P model. It gave publishers insight into how fickle consumers are and how to better "hook" them. Whether you agree or not with how the game model shifted, Wii had a large impact on how it has played out.

jstripes

Banned
Ah, the young people don't know the prestige of having a Sony Trinitron.

It's what made Sony into a household name in the west.

Ah, the young people don't know the prestige of having a Sony Trinitron.

It's what made Sony into a household name in the west.

In my family we had two models, one of them was a 17", which was for the time, like having a 44" today :p

Both of them lasted around 20 years (picture quality began to suffer).

I still regret not keeping them as "collectible" items.

Why the fuck is the Oculus rift here right now when the final product hasn't even been shipped yet. I mean, maybe it will be super influential, but it's still way too early to make that call

jstripes

Banned
In my family we had two models, one of them was a 17", which was for the time, like having a 44" today :p

Both of them lasted around 20 years (picture quality began to suffer).

I still regret not keeping them as "collectible" items.

Ya, I think we had a 17" too. It also lasted around 20 years, which puts today's electronics to shame. It became mine when we bought our second Trinitron, which was like 22".

The second one simply got fuzzy towards the end, but the first one developed a wavy picture and then finally a weird squirming "black hole" that roamed around the screen. I turned it off and permanently unplugged it when I saw that bizarre thing.

Google Glass and Apple iBook.

SERIOUSLY? LOL

Google Glass, for all it didn't accomplish, pushed AR R&D forward industry-wide.

The iBook was the first laptop with integrated WiFi, which was kind of a big deal.

Ovid

The Macintosh should not be on the list.
What qualifies as a gadget? I never thought of a game console as a gadget.
It's not.

Gadgets are usually small portable electronics.

The list "jumped the shark" at #47. A full-sized piano is not a gadget.

They should have just called the list "influential electronics".

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
#1 is probably accurate. It really was the device that ushered in a totally new era of "personal computing"

I don't know what Segway and Google Glass are doing on there. The tech that went into creating GG may end up being influential, but has it really been influential yet? Seems a bit presumptuous. Segway turned out to be a joke compared to what Dean Kamen anticipated its impact to be, but maybe the technology behind it was more influential in other devices than I'm aware of, I dunno.

-edit-
^Vaporizers. I didn't think of that but that's a good point. The industry has exploded over the last few years, created an entire "subculture", and has replaced cigarette smoking for many people for crissakes. Really should've been on the list.

rrs

I know the Zune gets a lot of hate, but I thought it was somewhat influential.
The Zune HD was a great music playing device but iThings were at the absolute hype peak and nonexistant advertising made the device nothing more than the beta test for WinMo's future

jstripes

Banned
The Zune HD was a great music playing device but iThings were at the absolute hype peak and nonexistant advertising made the device nothing more than the beta test for WinMo's future

The problem with the Zune was Microsoft:

DnChE4T.png

Simmins

Does the Arduino not count? I know it's a microcontroller, but it has been used for a ton of DIY projects and inspired a lot of people to get into electronics.

ChrisD

DS should really be on this.

Was my first thought as well, but then my Great Grandmother didn't know what a DS was. She did know what the Wii was. She was 83 and didn't stay "in the loop" on things.

It still could have fit somewhere though, I'm sure.

EhoaVash

DS should be up there. It introduced me and a lot others to touch screen controls. Hmm I don't really remember other devices out in the market that time in ,2004? With touch screen function especially for games

FyreWulff

Magic Wand, the Cadillac of vibrators.

Fun fact, Hitachi finally sold the Magic Wand tech/brand to another company after recently insisting it was only a massager. Everyone still calls it "the Hitachi". lol

DS should be up there. It introduced me and a lot others to touch screen controls. Hmm I don't really remember other devices out in the market that time in ,2004? With touch screen function especially for games

It was the first consumer device with a non-shit touch screen for sure. It paved the way for the iPhone.

Dalek

I'm really proud of you, GAF. I saw the thread title and was expecting to come here and hear the usual "There wasn't anything influential about the iPhone, everyone else would have invented it a few years later anyways." that I've seen before here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom