• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pocket Card Jockey (3DS) |OT| - Now the 3DS is EXTRA stable!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm gonna name my horses after Nintendo horses. My first horse was Epona, though considering it's white with a red mane, I should've named it Rapidash or another horse-type Pokemon...

Chopper

Accidentally played this for two hours just now. Seems easier than the demo. Stinkin' Bishop has won a shitload of races.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That feeling when you get TWO Perfects in Comfort Zone Lv. 3 & get a Boost Card.

........THEN STILL END UP IN 4TH PLACE AND THE DAMN HORSE WON'T STOP TELLING ABOUT NOT STARTING OFF WELL WILL YOU STOP TELLING ME THAT EVERY OTHER RACE

jblank83

That feeling when you get TWO Perfects in Comfort Zone Lv. 3 & get a Boost Card.

........THEN STILL END UP IN 4TH PLACE AND THE DAMN HORSE WON'T STOP TELLING ABOUT NOT STARTING OFF WELL WILL YOU STOP TELLING ME THAT EVERY OTHER RACE

You can turn him off. I forget what the option was, something like pressing the X button when he pops up. He actually tells you this towards the end of the tutorialization period.

Lmao at the OT title. Love it!
Downloaded it as soon as it hit noon. Sadly haven't played much today! Have a lot of running around to do before I travel tomorrow.
But tomorrow...yes I will be playing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So what the heck is the item that looks like a tennis ball with a face? I have a feeling it's bad & I shouldn't get it.

kulapik

So what the heck is the item that looks like a tennis ball with a face? I have a feeling it's bad & I shouldn't get it.

It's bad. it's a junk card that gives your horse a lot of bad mood if you don't take it off the tableau.

jblank83

Is your first real horse supposed to be crappy?

Jimmy Rustles was awful. Then I lost him and got Dash Ponyta and he's great.

The first horse is always lame. I think it's to drive you into the retiring/breeding aspect of the game. They tell you as much, hinting that your horse is getting old, describing breeding, and so on.

This is unreasonably addictive it's 3am I should be sleeping but I'm horse racing

It's really good, better than I ever thought a Tactical Horse Racing Solitaire Sim with Breeding could be.

jengo

Sucks the mobile phone version is no longer available...That's how I'd prefer to play this tbh. But glad these smaller releases are being shown localization love.

Crowbear

This game is incredibly fun but man it can get hard pretty quickly once you're on your 3rd horse.

My first 2 won a bunch of races and are now recreating that scene from last week's Silicon Valley on my farm but my 3rd is going up against horses with massively better stats constantly and just getting thrashed (Yeah my 40/50 horse can probably beat that 100/120 monster, sure. Oh same guy is in the next race? Cool cool cool). That and the way the card RNG can absolutely ruin you occasionally are really my only complaints about the game so far, though I guess that one's pretty true to real life Solitaire.

Still having a blast with it though and I'm looking forward to getting a run with my first horse bred in house.

e: Oh yeah and Chirp can go straight to hell. She gave me a cheap taste early on and now every item she sells costs $10,000+! I can't afford that shit!

javac

Rider meet horse, horse meet rider.

Didn't realise this was coming out in the UK, no idea why I got the impression that it wasn't.

Rider meet horse, horse meet rider.

Didn't realise this was coming out in the UK, no idea why I got the impression that it wasn't.

It was only in the US Direct and wasn't mentioned in the UK one at all, so it was a total surprise when the demo for this popped up a week ago.

octopiggy

Spent all last night playing this (continuing from the demo). Just retired my 2nd horse and paired them up for breeding. Think I have 5 trophies (at work now so can't check).

Anyone know how long it takes to breed? Do I get it instantly or next season? Or even in a few years when its old enough to ride?

Anyway, really enjoying it. It really reminds me of Nintendo Pocket Football Club which I played for over 100 hours. Hopefully I will get similar enjoyment out of this.

I tried the demo, and as someone who's like one of only two people to never have played Solitare before, I didn't really "get" how it worked.

I'll try again later, but I do like the presentation and such! :)

But what's this about your save data being deleted or something if you lose or whatever? That was mentioned and does that happen or is that just a 4th wall joke?

Memory

Shame on me I skipped the demo thinking this was shovalware. Going to Dow load when I finish work and try it out.

Oh man, I loved the demo. I'm definitely getting this.

I just hate it when you get boxed in on the final straight, because it's hard to tell when you can run past the ones in front.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
But what's this about your save data being deleted or something if you lose or whatever? That was mentioned and does that happen or is that just a 4th wall joke?
No, what happens is, if you exit out of the game or turn the power off during a race, it's considered a lose. The game will mention this every time before you being the race when showing the list of other racers.

Is there a clear end game, or is it just "procedural"? I feel like there's a not clear ending. I like that a lot, just wasn't sure what you guys are seeing.

I finished the (impressively long) demo last night and then went to the store to get the game. I was expecting it to be like £14.99, so I was pleasantly surprised at the £6.59!

Just to check, to transfer my save, do I just need to launch the main game and then close it on the menu, then launch the demo and do the save transfer option?

SummitAve

Banned
Picked it up last night and really enjoyed the simplicity of the solitaire and the depth of the horse racing parts. This needs to be on my phone!!!

Can anyone help me out with what I should be doing in the drawing/rubbing sections? I'm struggling to find a balance. Am I supposed to draw my lines for better positioning or should I always be drawing forward to try and get myself in the comfort zone? Or a little bit of both? How much rubbing should I be doing? Enough to keep my enthusiasm in line with the other horses?

octopiggy

I finished the (impressively long) demo last night and then went to the store to get the game. I was expecting it to be like £14.99, so I was pleasantly surprised at the £6.59!

Just to check, to transfer my save, do I just need to launch the main game and then close it on the menu, then launch the demo and do the save transfer option?
Thats correct.

Is there a clear end game, or is it just "procedural"? I feel like there's a not clear ending. I like that a lot, just wasn't sure what you guys are seeing.
One of the cups seems to be considered 'the one'. Can't remember which one... might be the allstar cup. I'd imagine getting that would be considered 'completing' the game. I dont if that shows the credits.
Beyond that there is a cabinet with space for a whole bunch of other trophies.

Can anyone help me out with what I should be doing in the drawing/rubbing sections? I'm struggling to find a balance. Am I supposed to draw my lines for better positioning or should I always be drawing forward to try and get myself in the comfort zone? Or a little bit of both? How much rubbing should I be doing? Enough to keep my enthusiasm in line with the other horses?
Staying in the comfort zone seems be a priority to get the fire bonuses. After that I can't see any reason not to rub down to zero. The higher your fire thing the less likely you are to get knocked back.

SummitAve

Banned
Staying in the comfort zone seems be a priority to get the fire bonuses. After that I can't see any reason not to rub down to zero. The higher your fire thing the less likely you are to get knocked back.

Ahhhh ok that makes more sense. I will have to pay more attention to my fire when I try to make those drawings in traffic.

The tutorial was a bit wordy so I skipped through a bunch.... If you're pretty behind in the homestretch is it better to use the "go" button to try to gain a better finishing position or to save those hearts for experience? Or does finishing position not really matter outside of the top 3?

Wisker

Neo Member
This game is so addicting. Perfect game for the first Saturday in May,
(Kentucky Derby)

Ahhhh ok that makes more sense. I will have to pay more attention to my fire when I try to make those drawings in traffic.

The tutorial was a bit wordy so I skipped through a bunch.... If you're pretty behind in the homestretch is it better to use the "go" button to try to gain a better finishing position or to save those hearts for experience? Or does finishing position not really matter outside of the top 3?

If you have no chance in winning, (1st-3rd), it's best to save it for experience.

Nezzhil

This demo was addicting
and long!
. It would have bought it right now if the release date of Stellaris weren't this Monday. I... must... resist...

Putosaure

Damn, demo horse and Farting Thunder did poor in the full game. But now I'm back with Carrot Sucker, which has a nice special ability, getting a lot of fire orbs. I'm addicted !

Playing the demo during downtime here at work, and I'm surprised how good this game is! Buying the full version as soon as I get home tonight

max_505

I'm surprised that I'm enjoying the hell out of this game when I didn't even like playing Solitaire.

One question though: I read in the tutorial part that turning off the game while in a race will automatically make you lose. What about closing the 3DS (entering sleep mode)? Or is there no way to pause while the race is ongoing?

Top Bottom