• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2nd DS Chibi-Robo game has received an English patch! (GameCube style Chibi-Robo)

Joqu

Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Oosouji, now called Chibi-Robo: Clean Sweep!, received a patch that translates the game completely in English, text and graphics. It's been out for a while now, but I searched and didn't find a thread on this on here so it seems to have flown under the radar. I know I didn't know until today.

I think that's a shame because I think the game is worth checking out. Gameplay-wise I've been told it's the closest there has been to a proper sequel to the GameCube original. And it's the only Chibi-Robo game that never received an official localization from Nintendo.

Haven't tried the patch myself yet, but it looks pretty great. Game still looks to be reasonably easy to import too.

romhacking.net page with link to the patch

relevant gbatemp thread, it does appear to still be getting worked on so you should be able to follow any future development on there

USNJ1h7.png

OZ3naO6.png
0PHMjKg.png
Xrcn4vv.png
EXbXB1I.png

maxcriden

Oh, excellent. This is a game I was hoping to translate one day when my Japanese is better, so check that one off the list. 😀 I'm psyched it's available in English now! Thanks for the info!

It says everything that needs saying about Nintendo that of these games:

1. A park management Chibi-Robo! game
2. A proper sequel to the GameCube game
3. A bad AR downloadable game
4. A mediocre 2D platform game

Only 2. was left in Japan.

Either way, very exciting news.

Joqu

Ah dang, did the images break for you guys too? I should have rehosted, whoops.

edit: okay, fixed it.

Just thinking the other day that they should attempted at an NX remake of this.

But a Wind Waker and TP-style remaster of the original to start would be a good idea, but it feels like Skip will not be able to do a major proper entry like the first three again, since the directors left, with the one who did all three of the original games (Kenichi Niishi only co-directed the original) is now at Asobism and directed Freakyforms.

They instead got the director of the Art Style and bit generations games to take over the series starting with Photo Finder.

A remaster of the original (still mad the Wii version never came over) would be the perfect practice HD game for Skip to then attempt at a remake of the never localized 2nd DS game, and honestly visuals like the original game, beefed up ala TP HD in 1080p and 60fps for the 2nd DS game would be pretty fantastic I'd think.

I'm certain Photo Finder did attempt 60fps along other like a dozen different rates. It was all over the place going down to like 15-20fps at times, but the lighting and mapping was shockingly good coming from them despite that.

Zip-Lash is actually more of a Vanpool game than you'd think. Photo Finder's director returned, but was joined by the director of Dillon. And the art director was only one person who art directed Dillon also. Funny enough Skip got Oink Games, formed by ex-Skip folks to help out Photo Finder and Zip-Lash.

READ this Chibi-Robo history article, it's so well done:

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/12/17/chibi-robo-part-3/

Part 3 above is the most relevant about ex-folks, Skip's status, and whatnot. I learned a lot from it, and I thought I already knew a lot! XD

Edit: Clean Sweep's a cool name, but I thought of it being Chibi-Robo Comes Home! as a better adaptation of the Japanese name, and how it's the most true sequel to the original.

Joqu

The one thing I'm curious about is some of the font. It does look like it'd be pretty hard to read on a non-XL DS.

It's a true sequel in terms of story as well.

The house your in belongs to the little girl from the first game.

The timing of this is for me for several reasons.

Joqu

By the way, if you're going to buy a copy of this you might want to look into the second Tingle game too. I hear it's an excellent point and click adventure game and the fan translation appears to have been making good progress.

http://tingletranslation.blogspot.com/

wT4Ovvw.jpg

Now where's my Tomato Adventure translation?

leroidys

Awesome, thanks for the heads up! I actually bought a cart of this last year but didn't make it that far due to the language barrier.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
By the way, if you're going to buy a copy of this you might want to look into the second Tingle game too. I hear it's an excellent point and click adventure game and the fan translation appears to have been making good progress too.

http://tingletranslation.blogspot.com/

wT4Ovvw.jpg

Now where's my Tomato Adventure translation?

wow, I had no idea tingle's rupeeland had a sequel.

I still need to import this chibi robo sequel, kinda slept on it because i always hoped nintendo would translate it.

Joqu

Tomato Adventure was AlphaDream's first game if anyone's wondering, so yeah, I've always wanted to check that out. Maybe someday.

edit: I might as well talk about some other unlocalized Skip games here. The Captain Rainbow fan translation seems to have been put on hold for a while now because of the lack of any hacking progress, it's really unfortunate. I've been looking forward to that project for such a long time now. Oh well. :(

Giftpia received a complete text translation by the same people, but there's nothing out there that patches the game itself unfortunately.

wow, I had no idea tingle's rupeeland had a sequel.

I still need to import this chibi robo sequel, kinda slept on it because i always hoped nintendo would translate it.

First Tingle game had some issues but I really enjoyed it. I don't think I ever beat it though, I should give it another go.

As far as I can tell its sequel alleviates the first game's problems, I've heard some VERY good things about that one. So it's a shame it never came over. I guess being a Europe only game can't have helped.

Funnily enough that's the opposite of what happened with DS Chibi-Robo, Park Patrol never released here.

Berordn

This is wonderful. I'd read up on this translation a long time ago when it was declared dead and gave up hope. I'll have to track down a flashcart to finally play and understand it on actual hardware one of these days.

Now if only someone will finish translating Captain Rainbow.

That's one game that'll never get released again without massive changes.

Oh wow! Neato.

Playing through the first and it's still wonderful. I wonder if the fan translation has anything as good as "Faux News".

Toad.T

Banned
Came out about a month ago, beat it then.

Trust me when I say, if you had ANY interest in the first game, you will ADORE this one.

Don't attempt cleaning the AC innards on an emulator. I honestly think it's impossible to do without a physical system.

Madao

this remids me that i'm still waiting for a full translation of F-Zero Climax to be made. i've seen some advancements but seems no one went all the way.

these type of situations makes me wish Nintendo's native language was english. importing would be a breeze since region lock, as shitty as it is, can be powered through with money. a fan translation is far more consuming and unlikely to happen.

Drago

Yeah I just learned of this a few days ago too. It made me EXTREMELY happy, I was really hopeless an english patch for this would've ever been made and then I just stumbled upon it on a random google search. I haven't started it yet but I'm so looking forward to when I finally set time aside for it this summer. I knew it was a good idea to import this a few months back. :)

It's sombering that this might be the last time I get a new Chibi Robo experience but at least the series will end for me with a true successor to the GC original (even though I enjoyed the one offs).

READ this Chibi-Robo history article, it's so well done:

Part 3 above is the most relevant about ex-folks, Skip's status, and whatnot. I learned a lot from it, and I thought I already knew a lot! XD
Woah, thank you for this. No idea Source Gaming wrote something like this up, should be a great read. :)

Yeah I just learned of this a few days ago too. It made me EXTREMELY happy, I was really hopeless an english patch for this would've ever been made and then I just stumbled upon it on a random google search. I haven't started it yet but I'm so looking forward to when I finally set time aside for it this summer. I knew it was a good idea to import this a few months back. :)

It's sombering that this might be the last time I get a new Chibi Robo experience but at least the series will end for me with a true successor to the GC original (even though I enjoyed the one offs).

Woah, thank you for this. No idea Source Gaming wrote something like this up, should be a great read. :)

No prob! :)

Here's the full set:

http://sourcegaming.info/2015/11/17/chibi-robo-1/
http://sourcegaming.info/2015/11/26/chibi-robo-2/

basefree

Holy crap I never thought this day would come. Had they localised it in the first place I would have bought it on day one. Chibi Robo on the GC is one of my all time favourite games. I'm so happy this now exists!

koma

This is the best news ever, i'm still mad that Nintendo never translated THE ONLY TRUE CHIBI-ROBO SEQUEL worth to play and instead translated those bad spinoff to one asked for. Skip and Love-De-Lic fans can now celebrate (or should we wait for someone to make a fan-translation for Giftpia?)

Joqu

Came out about a month ago, beat it then.

Trust me when I say, if you had ANY interest in the first game, you will ADORE this one.

Don't attempt cleaning the AC innards on an emulator. I honestly think it's impossible to do without a physical system.

Oh neat! Do you have any comments on the fan translation itself? I assume it was good since you were able to beat the game using it, but I'd love to hear your thoughts. And is the menu font as small as it seems to be on actual hardware?

I've just played the game and relied on body language to know what's going on. It doesn't entirely work. :) I had to look at a walkthrough to understand that a character asked me for particular items.

My spouse recently abandoned their 2DS in favor of an XL, so I finally have a system to tinker with. Oh, and I also imported this game last year. The plan is finally coming together!

Such great news!

Cjuub

Neo Member
Thanks for your interest in the translation everybody! (I'm the one who created it)
Edit: A new version of the patch is up on github since a few days back, some corrections and localization improvements.

The one thing I'm curious about is some of the font. It does look like it'd be pretty hard to read on a non-XL DS.

You are not the first one to question the font. But it is actually the default font found in the game, I did not create it. It is also the exact same font that was used in the localisation of Park Patrol.

If you are only referring to the font in e.g. TV shopping then its a custom font needed due to lack of space for the characters otherwise.

Question for those who finished the game:

What changes when you start a new game with the tooth icon?

You will start with maximum cord length and all vacuum upgrades from the very beginning.

I've just played the game and relied on body language to know what's going on. It doesn't entirely work. :) I had to look at a walkthrough to understand that a character asked me for particular items.

Can you please specify which part you mean? So I can check if I made an error translating and correct it. I have a feeling this is about Mesa the shark.

Joqu

Thanks for your interest in the translation everybody! (I'm the one who created it)
Edit: A new version of the patch is up on github since a few days back, some corrections and localization improvements.

First of all, I just want to thank you for all your hard work that must have gone into creating this fan translation. I'm afraid to admit I still haven't found the time to actually play the game, but this is a translation I've wanted for a long time now. It's good to know this is out there now.

By the way, do you plan on updating the romhacking.net download down the line, perhaps once you believe you've created a final version of the patch? Just wondering since I imagine that's where most people are going to end up finding it on. :)

You are not the first one to question the font. But it is actually the default font found in the game, I did not create it. It is also the exact same font that was used in the localisation of Park Patrol.

If you are only referring to the font in e.g. TV shopping then its a custom font needed due to lack of space for the characters otherwise.

It's the TV shopping font I was wondering about there, although it wasn't as much something I wondered about the patch as much as I was curious if people had any issue reading it on something like a DS lite or a non-XL DSi. As for the default one I really don't think it looks too bad. It's by no means a particularly pretty font but it seems readable to me. And if it's what they used for Park Patrol it especially makes sense to make to keep that one as is, I appreciate that kind of consistency.

Can you please specify which part you mean? So I can check if I made an error translating and correct it. I have a feeling this is about Mesa the shark.

And you might want to send them a PM on this by the way, they might not check this thread again. GAF doesn't notify you if you've been quoted or anything like that.

But yeah, thank you!

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
This is awesome! Although I will likely never get around to importing this game and trying out the patch, I'm really glad it exists. Thanks, Cjuub!

In an ideal world, we'd get a Chibi-Robo Remaster Collection featuring the GameCube original and the two DS sequels, but that's a project that would cost much more money than it would ever make. Oh well. A person can dream.

Cjuub

Neo Member
By the way, do you plan on updating the romhacking.net download down the line, perhaps once you believe you've created a final version of the patch? Just wondering since I imagine that's where most people are going to end up finding it on. :)

Absolutely, the final patch (which will not be much different from the current) will be uploaded to romhacking.net. I just haven't bothered to upload 1.0b4 there, and tbh 1.0b3 players aren't missing out on anything.

It's the TV shopping font I was wondering about there, although it wasn't as much something I wondered about the patch as much as I was curious if people had any issue reading it on something like a DS lite or a non-XL DSi. As for the default one I really don't think it looks too bad. It's by no means a particularly pretty font but it seems readable to me. And if it's what they used for Park Patrol it especially makes sense to make to keep that one as is, I appreciate that kind of consistency.

Yeah, I really wanted a larger font for the TV-shopping/some menus too. But technical limitations and lack of space only allowed me to use the one you see. Though I would say this is actually a problem in the original Japanese game too, some kanjis are barely readable and the kana is really compact at times.

For what it's worth, I found the font readable when playing in native resolution on a 3DS XL (i.e. about the same size as the normal DS screens).

Some comparisons, it's easy to see even the Japanese is struggling to look good. :)
DTLY66m.png
uY1GnFr.png

3KimMM2.png
6DjxICp.png

My apologies, I have inadvertently misled you.

I have not attempted your translation patch so far, although I'm excited about the prospect. I just was commenting on trying to play the game when I don't understand any of the language.

Been playing it for about a week now after waiting for years. It's as good as the GameCube one, it's a crime this was left to Japan only. Sadly, after the 3DS outings I doubt we'll ever get the new action-adventure Chibi Robo the world deserves.

The translation is a bit clunky at times, but that's a minor complaint, the game is fully playable (at least until where I got
getting the luchador mask back from the drain pipes, those cutscenes were hilarious
). Plus I'm sure if Nintendo had officially translated it, they would have censored some bits.

Now the wait for Tingle 2, Giftpia and Captain Rainbow continues.

Thanks a lot, Cjuub!

Joqu

Absolutely, the final patch (which will not be much different from the current) will be uploaded to romhacking.net. I just haven't bothered to upload 1.0b4 there, and tbh 1.0b3 players aren't missing out on anything.

Yeah, I really wanted a larger font for the TV-shopping/some menus too. But technical limitations and lack of space only allowed me to use the one you see. Though I would say this is actually a problem in the original Japanese game too, some kanjis are barely readable and the kana is really compact at times.

For what it's worth, I found the font readable when playing in native resolution on a 3DS XL (i.e. about the same size as the normal DS screens).

Some comparisons, it's easy to see even the Japanese is struggling to look good. :)
DTLY66m.png
uY1GnFr.png

3KimMM2.png
6DjxICp.png

I'm happy to hear that!

And thanks for those comparison pics. You're right, the Japanese font really is compact, no wonder you had to go small. But I'm glad to hear you found it readable on a 3DS XL in native res, that's about normal DS size for sure so I shouldn't be worried then.

Although admittedly my eyes aren't the best so I'll probably have to squint, but that's on me really. Probably shouldn't try to go native res on a regular 3DS. :p

Now the wait for Tingle 2, Giftpia and Captain Rainbow continues.

Wouldn't be surprised if you're already aware of it considering the avatar, but at least the Tingle 2 project appears to be progressing well, I posted a link to the blog in here. I'm looking forward to that one, it looks really fun.

I don't think anyone is working on Giftpia though :/

I believe the entire thing has a text translation available too, but I'm not going to play it like that. So it's "just" a matter of a talented programmer being interested to pick it up. Easier said than done of course.

Top Bottom