• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Panther by Ta-Nehisi Coates Comic Book club lOTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
This comic does not require any prior reading but for those who would like to read previous stories
ComicGAF Presents: Black Panther Essential Reading

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1213083&page=1

Join us once a month as we discuss the new Black Panther comic.

Spoiler Tags the Day of release but after that it is cool. Spoilers for previous issues is fair game

Summary
A new era for the Black Panther starts here! Written by MacArthur Genius and National Book Award winner TA-NEHISI COATES (Between the World and Me) and illustrated by living legend BRIAN STELFREEZE, "A Nation Under Our Feet" is a story about dramatic upheaval in Wakanda and the Black Panther's struggle to do right by his people as their ruler. The indomitable will of Wakanda -- the famed African nation known for its vast wealth, advanced technology and warrior traditions -- has long been reflected in the will of its monarchs, the Black Panthers. But now the current Black Panther, T'Challa, finds that will tested by a superhuman terrorist group called The People that has sparked a violent uprising among the citizens of Wakanda. T'Challa knows the country must change to survive -- the question is, will the Black Panther survive the change?

TheFlow

Banned
portrait_incredible.jpg

#2 releases tomorrow!

thanks for the heads up. first issue was just aiight but i can see potential in the arc coming up. doing some kind of exploited labour uprising thing with the vibranium miners here.

I'm liking it so far, but one issue in and this run already has haters.

Guys who have been sick of T'Challa on the defensive, instead of outplanning everyone like Priest's and Hudlin's runs. Guys who honestly are more Black Men >>>>>>, especially black women, but don't want to admit it. Mad that women are getting a spotlight in this run.

But alas, they are just haters.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm liking it so far, but one issue in and this run already has haters.

Guys who have been sick of T'Challa on the defensive, instead of outplanning everyone like Priest's and Hudlin's runs. Guys who honestly are more Black Men >>>>>>, especially black women, but don't want to admit it. Mad that women are getting a spotlight in this run.

But alas, they are just haters.

first issue was good but it is too early in the game to even say where this series is going.

The first arc ends at #4 though

Thanks for the reminder about #2, I picked up a copy of the hip-hop variant near release. I don't know how much discussing I'll do but I will be reading.

tkscz

Think I'm actually going to pick this up. Was going to ignore it as Marvel's latest comics haven't been holding my attention very well, but a T'challa who has to learn from his past mistakes and fix a broken Wakanda sounds interesting.

You should probably have put the artist in the thread title if you're putting the writer. :p

The series is off to a good start, I'm hoping they can bring about a real status quo shift for Wakanda.

Fhtagn

I have been enjoying the hell out of my Marvel Unlimited subscription but haven't bought a new single issue comic in a decade or more...

But this has me curious. I'm afraid if I cave here I'll end up also buying up sliver surfer or ms marvel or something and boom I'm back on the treadmill of buying single issues every month.

TheFlow

Banned
I have been enjoying the hell out of my Marvel Unlimited subscription but haven't bought a new single issue comic in a decade or more...

But this has me curious. I'm afraid if I cave here I'll end up also buying up sliver surfer or ms marvel or something and boom I'm back on the treadmill of buying single issues every month.
Good point plus the first issue is 5 bucks, but BP is one of the few books that actually has a OT. be a part of the discussion instead of waiting till December for the first issue to hit MU.

join the hype train.

Is marvel.com the best way to buy it digitally or is there a better service?
CMX

https://www.comixology.com/Black-Pa...uZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGVy

Judderman

drawer by drawer
After watching CW on Saturday, this may be the first recurring comic series where I'll go to pick up the new issue every week/release. I think I'm going to head over to my local shop and grab 1 & 2.

Now only if there was a semi-new Spidey run I could start on...

Is marvel.com the best way to buy it digitally or is there a better service?
There's also Comixology but they're pretty much the same service anyway as they share libraries through account syncing and last time I checked the marvel app was essentially a rebranded Comixology.

There's also Amazon, as most Marvel books can be bought there in Kindle + Comixology format.

Edit : at the end of the day, everything ends up in your Comixology library.

BBboy20

Think I'm actually going to pick this up. Was going to ignore it as Marvel's latest comics haven't been holding my attention very well, but a T'challa who has to learn from his past mistakes and fix a broken Wakanda sounds interesting.
So this BP is the
same one from Secret Wars, as in the "sole survivor" of that event.

BigDes

The only Black Panther I read before this was the Man Without Fear run which was excellent.

Number 1 of this made me go back and get a pile of old Black Panther books.

Awesome character

TheFlow

Banned
So this BP is the
same one from Secret Wars, as in the "sole survivor" of that event.

Spoilers regarding what Happened to Black Panther after secret Wars and how Wakanda was rebuilt.
"Black Panther has kept the Reality Gem from the Infinity Gauntlet he wielded on Battleworld. As the Gem disappears into smoke we see Wakanda, which had been largely destroyed pre-Secret Wars, seems to be back. More than back - Wakanda has a massive space program, and they will be creating in-system stepping stones to help bring humanity to the stars. After a lot of comics where Black Panther is running around using technology destructively to save humanity this is a nice change of pace".

Issue 1 doesn't reference Secret Wars at all though so you guys are fine

BBboy20

Spoilers regarding what Happened to Black Panther after secret Wars and how Wakanda was rebuilt.
"Black Panther has kept the Reality Gem from the Infinity Gauntlet he wielded on Battleworld. As the Gem disappears into smoke we see Wakanda, which had been largely destroyed pre-Secret Wars, seems to be back. More than back - Wakanda has a massive space program, and they will be creating in-system stepping stones to help bring humanity to the stars. After a lot of comics where Black Panther is running around using technology destructively to save humanity this is a nice change of pace".

Issue 1 doesn't reference Secret Wars at all though so you guys are fine
Oh so the writers chose that
gem.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Re-reading #1 right now, the designs for the Midnight Angel suits are dope as hell. It'd be awesome to see them in the movie.

I still need to read the first issue, but I don't have a comics shop anywhere near me. :(

EDIT: Can't buy online either. I may have a friend pick up copies of these from a comics store in the city for me like I have with comics before, but it'll probably be a month before I can read them right now.

jph139

My comic store had a bunch leftover - even a hip-hop variant, two or three weeks after release. Kinda crazy considering how much buzz it's been getting.

Mafro

I read great things about this from Comic-Gaf
I'd highly recommend Ultimates to anyone who enjoyed Hickman's Fantastic Four, FF, Avengers and New Avengers. Same sort of high-concept, cosmic stuff and it feels more like an Avengers book than any of the others from the post-Secret Wars relaunch.

TheFlow

Banned
Black Panther #2

once again another solid issue. Very meaty issue. The amount of wisdom that is talked about makes me want to write some of it down lol.

Also the end of #2 got me hyped about where his run is going to go

4/5

tim1138

Is there going to be an eventual Hardcopy? Should I just go an by the individual issues? I want this physically. How many issues is this going to be? I see this on amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/1302900536/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's going to be a 12 issue run, with Coates saying there may be another "season" somewhere down the line. I can't imagine Marvel won't put out a hardcover of all 12 issues next summer, but there should be three paperback collections of four issues each as well. Personally, I would buy the individual issues and then wait for a hardcover release next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom