• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

90s Arcade Racer seemingly cancelled for Wii U and PC

Beartruck

Remember when they announced they partnered with Nicalis and everyone immediately told them they fucked up?

I bet they understand that very clearly now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No, I was referring to another indie game. I'd have to look it up, though.
Punch Club was the game. I agree that it's not worth abandoning the platform over, I'm just trying to understand why they would abandon it in the first place.

I can understand 1.6m being a scary figure, but Durante's correct in that what actually matters is sales and 300k after two-and-a-half months is nothing to sneeze at. Decisions regarding platform availability ought to take into account the complete picture.

I don't think the PC version has been cancelled, though. It seems quite likely that the... sister site or whatever it is, is missing information.

tuffy

This is the Kickstarter whose annual "I'm not dead" updates had yet to show any AI vehicles - which are kindof a big deal for something that's supposed to be a racing game. So I wouldn't be surprised if developer incompetence led to a drastic overhaul. But if Wii U and PC backers aren't going to get the game on those platforms, they'd better be getting refunds.

@MUWANdo

Banned
This is the Kickstarter whose annual "I'm not dead" updates had yet to show any AI vehicles - which are kindof a big deal for something that's supposed to be a racing game. So I wouldn't be surprised if developer incompetence led to a drastic overhaul. But if Wii U and PC backers aren't going to get the game on those platforms, they'd better be getting refunds.

Yeah, for as bad a reputation as Nicalis has, it seems just as likely that the developer(s?) isn't really all that great either. People (including me, honeslty) presumed Nicalis was fucking with his game but maybe he sucks all on his own and Nicalis is just adding more garbage to the pile.

Nanashrew

Banned
Yeah, for as bad a reputation as Nicalis has, it seems just as likely that the developer(s?) isn't really all that great either. People (including me, honeslty) presumed Nicalis was fucking with his game but maybe he sucks all on his own and Nicalis is just adding more garbage to the pile.

The dude helped work on this.

http://www.sonicfanremix.com/

He's primarily an artist but he has worked on many things before.

Here's another small project he's been doing and already out on Steam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBdjxzPHZDs

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Oh, so they're pulling a Project CARS, huh? Well I'll do what I did with Project CARS and boycott the game for this betrayal. Fuck them.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oh, so they're pulling a Project CARS, huh? Well I'll do what I did with Project CARS and boycott the game for this betrayal. Fuck them.

For me, I don't own a PS4 or XBO, but I do have a PC and Wii U. If it's not even coming to PC I have no way of supporting the game that I've wanted to play since I first found the Kickstarter. No one makes arcade racers like these anymore and It's killing me cause it's one of my favorite dead genres. I'm not into sim racers, I've always felt they were too heavy and never felt good to play imo.

LeleSocho

Banned
WiiU is understandable because the console is deader than dead and aside a couple of people no one cares about it but PC makes me mad
Damn Nicalis can go to hell, the hell i'm buying one of the games with your stamp on it ever again... that won't even be hard as you can't manage to release a single one in a timely matter.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but Wii U was only added as a platform after the campaign was pretty much done, right? Like, it's something Nicalis promised they'd do and not something the devs said they'd do if they hit a stretch goal?

In that case, I think it's fair enough if Nicalis decides to can that version--maybe not sensible or a good PR move, obviously, but if it's not something they explicitly used as an incentive to get more money from backers then whatever, Nicalis gonna Nicalis.

MacTag

Banned
No, Wii U was added during the active campaign. So were iOS and Android.

Funding spiked after these platforms were announced and about a third of the project's total funding came after this point.

LewieP

I thought promising a Wii U version in the Kickstarter was misguided, and the combination of delays, poor communication from the dev, and Nicalis's involvement have only compounded that poor decision.

It still doesn't have a release date, right? If they can't get the promised Wii U version out soon, I imagine it's unlikely that it will be profitable.

Game has nailed the visual style of the era it's aiming to evoke, but aside from I'm not sure how good it will be. Still no footage of AI racers, right? Has there been any media hands on with the game?

Corpekata

Banned
I thought promising a Wii U version in the Kickstarter was misguided, and the combination of delays, poor communication from the dev, and Nicalis's involvement have only compounded that poor decision.

It still doesn't have a release date, right? If they can't get the promised Wii U version out soon, I imagine it's unlikely that it will be profitable.

Game has nailed the visual style of the era it's aiming to evoke, but aside from I'm not sure how good it will be. Still no footage of AI racers, right? Has there been any media hands on with the game?

Someone earlier in the thread posted a tweet about a Nicalis event where the game was playable, but I don't think it got much, if any, coverage. Even the site that tweeted about being there didn't seem to write about anything.

Nanashrew

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but Wii U was only added as a platform after the campaign was pretty much done, right? Like, it's something Nicalis promised they'd do and not something the devs said they'd do if they hit a stretch goal?

In that case, I think it's fair enough if Nicalis decides to can that version--maybe not sensible or a good PR move, obviously, but if it's not something they explicitly used as an incentive to get more money from backers then whatever, Nicalis gonna Nicalis.

Windows and Linux when the project started. 9 days later he made an update telling us some exciting news is coming and said "I hope U Wiil stay tuned for more news." More money started coming in from more people because of the expansion of platforms.

It was expected to be on Windows, Linux, Mac, Wii U, iOS, and Android.

If it's not coming to those platforms, that hurts a lot of people who backed it. It was only 4k away from the final stretch goal so it did well after the announcement.

Justinh

I can understand 1.6m being a scary figure, but Durante's correct in that what actually matters is sales and 300k after two-and-a-half months is nothing to sneeze at
Yeah, that's a good point. I was going from memory and just linked to a thread about it. I probably should've read through it again.
I don't think the PC version has been cancelled, though. It seems quite likely that the... sister site or whatever it is, is missing information.
I think this makes the most sense. There's definitely something weird going on with that one angelcomm site.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I can kind of understand WiiU. But I'm still spewing. I was looking forward to playing the game free from the shackles of achievements/trophies.

tim.mbp

I feel like people might be jumping the gun a little bit. Maybe wait for some official response before saying horrible things about Nicalis.

Nairume

Banned
I feel like people might be jumping the gun a little bit. Maybe wait for some official response before saying horrible things about Nicalis.
Pretty sure "waiting for some official response" is part of the whole reason everybody is quick to shit talk Nicalis.

They are notoriously bad about maintaining radio silence.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Nicalis gonna Nicalis. Why would anyone give that shit company the benefit of the doubt. They have never surprised me in a positive way.

VariantX

Maybe, but who knows how long when that will be? Information of any kind trickles out months apart when it comes to this project.

@MUWANdo

Banned

I agree but Nicalis is notoriously bad at communicating anything to anyone and it will take a million people yelling at them just to get them to say anything at all.

LewieP

If only there was some kind of medium the developer or publisher could use to plainly and directly communicate with their audience.

That ether in those KS comments.

Wow, I hadn't realized this game was supposed to ship nearly two and a half years ago. In the time since the KS, the developer already worked and released an entirely different game too.

Dropping Wii U only makes sense if it was a stretch goal, but the Wii U target was a LEGITIMATE CORE ASPECT of its funding and a lot of people funded the project at the prospect of a Wii U version. They already made their money from that.

This can't be real, right?! I can understand not releasing on Wii U (even though it's a shitty thing to do), but it's incredibly dumb to not release on PC.

This can't be real, right?! I can understand not releasing on Wii U (even though it's a shitty thing to do), but it's incredibly dumb to not release on PC.

That'd be an understatement.

"Hey, look at this cool Wii U game we want to make. Help us fund it."
"Looks great. Have some money."
"Thanks. We're not releasing a Wii U version anymore."

btrboyev

WiiU is understandable because the console is deader than dead and aside a couple of people no one cares about it but PC makes me mad
Damn Nicalis can go to hell, the hell i'm buying one of the games with your stamp on it ever again... that won't even be hard as you can't manage to release a single one in a timely matter.

Dude, people already bought the game through Kickstarter. It was funded as a Wii U game.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If this would be true, it would make me, as a backer and a owner of a PC and a Wii U, unable to get my reward (game). Which would be a scam. Not that It isn't already seeing how it's never going to be finished.

Lumine

That's disappointing. Has this been officially confirmed? I've been looking forward to playing this on PC for quite a while now... if it ever gets finished.

Top Bottom