• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls III |OT+2| Why Can't We Poise the Game?

grmlin

I didn't like it because it was so RNG heavy. And man fuck the camera. Every time the camera lost the lock on him it screwed me over.
In the fight I won in the end, the magic prince was stuck in some sort of homing missile loop. He spammed them for minutes at me. That's not fun. I could not hit him for an eternity there, just run roll roll roll roll repeat. Meh.

Found this on my imgur account:

yqgptyy.jpg

I had forgotten about it, but this is my favorite screenshot I've taken. Let there be friendship.

RiggyRob

Yeeee, we Watchdogs of Farron now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=LIozxDzBl38

I can't actually tell, is the
wolf alive or dead? Do you get anything if you kill it?

Does anyone else see the orange light in the middle of the
demon
at 8:00 in the video? What was that?

Also, now that we have
Lightning Spear
I think we'll fully commit to a Dex + Faith build, which should be interesting as in DS2 I went for Intelligence and in Bloodborne I went for Strength + Arcane.

I liked the fight. I disliked the time it took to get from the dragonslayer bonfire to the elevator to the side of the room. That really annoyed me.
Some of the elevators in this game need muzak as you go up they're that long.

Also well done @grmlin :)

Yeeee, we Watchdogs of Farron now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=LIozxDzBl38

I can't actually tell, is the
wolf alive or dead? Do you get anything if you kill it?

Does anyone else see the orange light in the middle of the
demon
at 8:00 in the video? What was that?
I always thought it was a statue, although I never attacked it so I don't know if blood comes off it or not like other dead but inanimate corpses in the game. It's certainly not alive and is not interactive that way.

The light looks like an effect from the arrow shot, it happens again on the next shot straight after, but I think the zoom out made it look more pronounced.

RiggyRob

I always thought it was a statue, although I never attacked it so I don't know if blood comes off it or not like other dead but inanimate corpses in the game. It's certainly not alive and is not interactive that way.

The light looks like an effect from the arrow shot, it happens again on the next shot straight after, but I think the zoom out made it look more pronounced.

I thought it was a statue too, but it's got fur which doesn't look like stone. Good to know there's nothing other than the covenant related stuff to do with it.

I don't think the light looks like the effect when the arrow hits the
demon
, when the arrow does hit it the effect is more wispy/spread out particle effect, the light I saw looks more like a solid block.

To be honest, I think it kinda looks like an orange soul within the
demon
!

yamo

Any recommendations on good PVE builds?

I just killed High Lord Wolnir and am at about lvl 50ish. Got about 30 faith and use a +2 canvas talisman, but the damage I do with lightning spear (my only offensive spell so far) is pretty underwhelming. I have the Morne ring to boost miracles but it still does not feel very strong. Mainly I just melee everything and never even use my miracles.

So, is faith builds pretty weak or do I just need up my stats and find better miracles?

So, is faith builds pretty weak or do I just need up my stats and find better miracles?
Both. Upgrade your talisman too, there are better ones throughout the game also. Get weapon buff miracles too like Sunlight Blade (or whatever it's called in this one).
I always look at miracles as support spells, for buffing etc, I never really think of them as pew-pews like magic spells, even though there are those kind of miracles. Using force to stagger is still an offensive action. There's quite a few personal buff miracles in DS3.

Dragonslayer Armour
packs quite a punch, I've spent 7 embers so far without being able to beat him..
Even when we manage to whittle him down at some point he takes his aims squarely at me and I fail to dodge his multiple attacks... I'm just no tank...

Halp!

PS4 - Lvl 68 - Dragon Barracks campfire.

Tarkus

Dragonslayer Armour
packs quite a punch, I've spent 7 embers so far without being able to beat him..
Even when we manage to whittle him down at some point he takes his aims squarely at me and I fail to dodge his multiple attacks... I'm just no tank...

Halp!

PS4 - Lvl 68 - Dragon Barracks campfire.
Alright, you've caught me at the right time. I haven't played in 2 weeks and need a DS3 fix. Password: gaf

From Scott "DamnNoHtml" Jund:

The Second-most Annoying Build in Dark Souls III

DamnNoHtml said:
So this came to my attention when discussing the rules of my tournament with the players. Soullless, one of the participants, thought I should ban Carthus Bloodring to which my response was "...wat, people even use that?"

Turns out with Gotthard's Carthus Bloodring is so strong that you are invincible during the first part of your attack animation meaning it is nearly impossible to trade with the rolling L1. You don't even need VIG, just gouge your damage stats and roll 600 times because it costs no stamina, and eventually let an L1 out during one of those rolls. You won't be parried unless they somehow guess out of the multitude of rolls, and even then you can roll L2 instead.

So yeah, this is why Carthus Bloodring is banned from my tournament, in case anyone asks.

To wash the filthy taste of that DamnNoHtml video out of our mouths, Havok uploaded a video of him dueling a living legend:

Havok vs TAPOR - Competitive PVP Duels - 2k Subscriber Special

For those who don't know: TAPOR was a random invader who interrupted Havok's PvP tournament last weekend. Twitch chat blew up and turned him into a meme.

https://youtu.be/YkEbHnV33uI?t=22m50s
https://youtu.be/YkEbHnV33uI?t=28m41s

The funniest part to me was that he actually almost killed Praise the Sun (the purple phantom), despite it being a 1v3. Poor PtS took L's all day long at that tournament.

grmlin

Ha. There is a new contender for worst boss fight in the game.

Nameless King. Not hard by itself I think, I still have to learn his second phase, but OMG the first one is so incredible stupid. That camera fucks with me so hard, the head of the dragon can be unhittable, no fun can be found, only crazy laughs when he one shots you with fire out of nowhere again.

Well, every 10 fights I get into the second phase, so I will beat him at some point in the future.

The level itself was awesome though.

Ha. There is a new contender for worst boss fight in the game.

Nameless King. Not hard by itself I think, I still have to learn his second phase, but OMG the first one is so incredible stupid. That camera fucks with me so hard, the head of the dragon can be unhittable, no fun can be found, only crazy laughs when he one shots you with fire out of nowhere again.

Well, every 10 fights I get into the second phase, so I will beat him at some point in the future.

The level itself was awesome though.

That's the hardest boss in the game btw. And yeah the camera in phase 1 is pure bullshit.

Pro tip: Don't stand directly under the stormdrake, because that's what triggers the flying flame breath of death. Stand underneath its head, but not under its body.

Pro pro tip: The stormdrake is weak to lightning attacks, and the king is weak to dark, so stock up on the appropriate resins (gold and human).

chunk3rvd

I've finally got STR and DEX to 40 each and I have 25 levels to reach 120. Any recommendations on where to put my remaining points? Stats are:

VIG 30
END 24
VIT 15

Are any considered an eesential 40? I'd like to get involved in some more PvP once I reach 120 if that affects things. I'm terrible at making decisions like this. I'm sat here with 7 slabs and only one +10 weapon for the same reason!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I've finally got STR and DEX to 40 each and I have 25 levels to reach 120. Any recommendations on where to put my remaining points? Stats are:

VIG 30
END 24
VIT 15

Are any considered an eesential 40? I'd like to get involved in some more PvP once I reach 120 if that affects things. I'm terrible at making decisions like this. I'm sat here with 7 slabs and only one +10 weapon for the same reason!

I'm far from an expert, so take this with a pinch of salt.

If armour isn't an issue, I'd say 20 in VIG and 5 in END. If you're weapon is strenuous on stamina then maybe a 15/10 split at most.

Soulhouf

To wash the filthy taste of that DamnNoHtml video out of our mouths, Havok uploaded a video of him dueling a living legend:

Havok vs TAPOR - Competitive PVP Duels - 2k Subscriber Special

For those who don't know: TAPOR was a random invader who interrupted Havok's PvP tournament last weekend. Twitch chat blew up and turned him into a meme.

https://youtu.be/YkEbHnV33uI?t=22m50s
https://youtu.be/YkEbHnV33uI?t=28m41s

The funniest part to me was that he actually almost killed Praise the Sun (the purple phantom), despite it being a 1v3. Poor PtS took L's all day long at that tournament.

LMAO that's awesome.
Does TAPOR know he's now a celebrity?

Just started this a few days ago, running a Knight. Love Bloodborne, a game I'm only halfway through or more, but I prefer the more defensive sword and board combat to Bloodborne's trick weapons and gun parries. Am also digging the more limited Estus flask system to the potion gulping and farming in BB.

Now I'm going in almost entirely dark, which is exciting, but also means I'm going to make all the beginner mistakes. That's fine, as I love learning each environment and enemy, exploring, and making gut choices.

So I want to ask - is there anything I *must* know. Like counter-intuitive things that might ruin a playthrough?

I'm up on the basic mechanics, and the only beginner advice I've seen of the type I'm looking for is to hold on to Boss souls (when I manage to get them) to trade in for items in the hub. And not to join covenants, especially if I have no interest in PvP and invasions - which I don't.

Anything else along those lines I absolutely need to know? Thanks.

How to beat the nameless king phase 1:

Don't try to hit the drake at any time, wait for him to do his overhead charge lighting strike which has a long start up. Dodge forward under it, turn to the right and smack the head a couple times. Trivializes the first phase.

grmlin

How to beat the nameless king phase 1:

Don't try to hit the drake at any time, wait for him to do his overhead charge lighting strike which has a long start up. Dodge forward under it, turn to the right and smack the head a couple times. Trivializes the first phase.
I tried so many things now, the first phase is pure bullshit if you ask me. 10 tries, always died and the stupid dragon had more than 50% health left because the game refused to play fair. I tried this so often now, the game really drops down on my list...

It's always the same:
- camera hates me, doesn't matter if locked or not
- get combo killed
- hits not counting. I mean, I see the inside of the dragon, why can't I hit him then?

And what triggers the critical on the dragon? It's not happening anymore.

RiggyRob

Went back and killed the
Stray Demon
on top of Farron Keep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLnhwVsYSH1o1jW-5r-UfCbFz4VcQalzj5&v=tOJ-rBwYT3o

Seemed a bit weird picking up a
specific soul for it when it's just a wandering enemy, I thought that was only for bosses
?

Also picked up the
Greatsword
, which was a nice trivia moment to explain to Pimmsy RE: the links between Dark Souls and Berserk.

The
armoured guy at the end looked sick, especially with his red magic shield and orb attacks - I hope we pick up some of his armour later on.

Seemed a bit weird picking up a specific soul for it when it's just a wandering enemy, I thought that was only for bosses?
Throwback to Demon's Souls, where killing demons in that game gave you Gray Demon Souls which could be used to craft spells.

grmlin - Are you hitting ONLY the dragon's head? That's the only part of it you need to hit as it's the part that takes large damage. Criticals should happen at least once in the fight if you're keeping up damage and two handing your weapon.

Most of it's attacks leave it open for at least one or two hits after dodging, the best of which are the ground flame breath that leave it wide open - run in and go at it at the side of the head. The main thing in that phase is to never get UNDER the dragon's body as that is what triggers the flying flame breath.

Be liberal with your use of toggling lock on/off. Some people say lock off for the whole fight, but I use it just to centre me/the camera, not really when dealing damage. I know what you mean about not hitting the dragon, the camera sometimes gives you the illusion you're close enough to hit it when you're not. This can be weapon specific though, as a rapier fan I can relate to frustrations of not hitting things in Souls games!

grmlin

I learned the dragons move set over last last two days pretty well I think, and I have very decent rounds where I finish the dragon with most estus left. Thanks for the tip with baiting the bolt attack, approaching the fight slowly definitely helped.

Anyway, that does not change a lot though, as the bullshit part of this fight does not give a fuck about my skills 😬

Soulhouf

It's really fascinating to me how many people are complaining about Nameless King.
I never had any issue with the camera and the boss himself is sure harder than most of the others in the game but it's a very fun/badass battle and it even has the luxury of having 2 completely different and awesome phases.
First phase isn't really hard (I actually never died to him in that phase), it's actually his second phase that kept kicking my ass but he's supposed to be very strong so I don't have any complaint in that regard.
He's probably my favorite boss in the entire game.

Ferr986

Yeah I had way more trouble with his first phase than second too. Camera aiming and the illusion that you're hitting the dragoon when you're whiffing drove me nuts. Second phase was something like Alonne with a couple of new moves, so it didn't took me that much retries to beat.

-Horizon-

So I was about to head to what I thought was the last boss but my friend told me there were a couple of optional areas that I should check out first. Apparently I got a few of them already. So I went to the dragon one. Man, these enemies are cheap. They can randomly parry you. They can mob you and use a flurry of attacks to stun you in place. There's one part near the end of area where there are like 3 big enemies and a whole mob of smaller ones. Don't get me started on those little rolling things.
Now I'm stuck at the boss. I can get past the first phase ok-ish. Usually with around 8 flasks left. But I got a few things that really irk me about this fight.
Depth perception is completely gone. The battle area looks cool but I cannot tell when I'm far or right near the boss.
Some of the first phase's moves are just ugh. That one where it starts flying and dives back down at you apparently can be a 1 hit kill move? And that lightning spear attack that creates an aftershock that can still hit you after you dodge. UGH.
I'm still trying to figure out the second phase.

RiggyRob

The Stray Demon itself is from from Dark Souls 1. Since time is supposed to be convoluted, I just assume that it fell out of a wormhole in the sky once all of the kingdoms started converging on each other.

I guess that wouldn't be out of the realms of Dark Souls, considering that Vordt just teleports into his boss arena.

The fact that the Stray Demon was Lothric's gatekeeper is a little bit silly - like Holy King Lothric just went 'yeah, we can keep you around, just stop the peasants from the Undead Settlement from getting to our castle'.

chunk3rvd

I guess that wouldn't be out of the realms of Dark Souls, considering that Vordt just teleports into his boss arena.

The fact that the Stray Demon was Lothric's gatekeeper is a little bit silly - like Holy King Lothric just went 'yeah, we can keep you around, just stop the peasants from the Undead Settlement from getting to our castle'.

I guess it may be some sort of reference to when Lothric was Lordran as the first enemy you met in Dark Souls was the Asylum Demon?

Just been looking at the lore for the Stray Demon and only just found out you can break his legs: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7zfdu3QyWv4 Somehow he seems to be even more terrifying and aggressive without his legs!

There's something about dragon form that makes people more chill when you invade them. Ran into this guy and his Bluebro just a couple minutes ago:

The host did the curl up gesture and waited for blue phantoms to arrive, and then let me duel them. I got 4 pale tongues! And then he went into dragon form himself and we all meditated together for a while. ...And then he killed himself with the Bloodlust weapon skill lol.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just started playing this today. finished DS2 the other day. in the starting area there is this blue crystal/ice enemy who seems way too strong so i think i'll go back to him later. beat the tutorial boss on 2nd try and got to firelink shrine which is totally different from what it was in DS1. i'm not very familiar with the lore but i guess this game is set hundreds of years after that or something. so far i think i need to go out and return all the kings to sit in the thrones in firelink? there was also another strong enemy beside firelink. he's standing on the stairs outside in front of a door. i hit him and did little damage so i'll come back later for him too.

i'm currently at the high wall of lothric where the dragon appears. i managed to run past the fire into a room so that's as far as i got but i died and now trying to get past the fire again. the combat feels more like DS1 than 2 which i really like. i'm not quite sure how some stuff works yet like humanity. i guess my estus works the same and i need to fine shards/bone dust to strengthen it.

RiggyRob

I guess it may be some sort of reference to when Lothric was Lordran as the first enemy you met in Dark Souls was the Asylum Demon?

Just been looking at the lore for the Stray Demon and only just found out you can break his legs: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7zfdu3QyWv4 Somehow he seems to be even more terrifying and aggressive without his legs!

Yeah, we did that too - we thought we'd killed him because his legs fell apart, but then he started crawling towards us like a poor imitation of Laurence!

Damn, that's good.

Top Bottom