• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you're Sony, what do you do with the Uncharted IP moving forward?

AmuroChan

Uncharted is Nathan Drake and it's Naughty Dog. Without either, is there a future for this franchise to succeed? I feel like Sony is in a really tough spot here. No matter who they give the IP to next, that studio is going to be heavily scrutinized because they're not ND. Would it make business sense to consider selling the IP and let another publisher worry about that? or maybe just sit on it and reboot it after a decade and hopefully by then fans will be more receptive to a new studio and a new cast of characters?

What would you do with the IP?

ViciousDS

Banned
......... Did you not play 4 and beat it?

the epilogue introduces his daughter. She is already a junior treasure hunter at her young age and is very, very interested in ancient collectables. She finds Drake's book of information for lost treasure and the game closes with Drake telling his daughter his adventures. It's totally going to be her as the main in the next game.

Mikey Jr.

"If you're Sony, what do you do with the Jak IP moving forward?"

"If you're Sony, what do you do with the Sly IP moving forward?"

etc etc.

They do nothing with it. Let ND just continue on. They deserve it. Leave Uncharted alone. It doesn't have to be rammed into the ground *coughhalocough*

border

logo_pc.png

Zackat

Sully game in the 70's-80's by some other studio several years from now and it will be sweet.

I want Naughty Dog to do other things.

yyr

Prequels or side stories.

Disclaimer: I have not played the games yet, so if prequels are impossible I'm not aware.

Renekton

Uncharted is Nathan Drake and it's Naughty Dog. Without either, is there a future for this franchise to succeed? I feel like Sony is in a really tough spot here. No matter who they give the IP to next, that studio is going to be heavily scrutinized because they're not ND. Would it make business sense to consider selling the IP and let another publisher worry about that? or maybe just sit on it and reboot it after a decade and hopefully by then fans will be more receptive to a new studio and a new cast of characters?

What would you do with the IP?
The series storyline is fully concluded in UC4.

Harlequin

I thought Uncharted 4's ending definitely hinted at
there being the potential for new Uncharted games featuring Sam and Sully which I would hate because I thought Sam was an unlikeable douchebag throughout most of the game and I certainly wouldn't want him to become Uncharted's protagonist.

I guess another possible option for Uncharted sequels could be making Nate's and Elena's daughter the protagonist which would be problematic because it's set quite a bit in the future which would sort of make it into a tiny bit of a sci-fi game. They'd have to figure out how technology, society, the geo-political climate around the world, etc. would have evolved and that's not easy to do right if you don't want it to turn full-on sci-fi.

Future games could also be following Chloe on her adventures or other treasure hunters in the Uncharted universe or we could get more prequels with young/er Nate or prequels featuring Sully before he met Nate, etc.

So yeah, lots of options.

Let the franchise rest for a couple years. Uncharted 4 is arguably the best entry in the franchise (I think it's tied with UC2) and let ND work on new games. TLoU2, new IP hopefully.

When they are ready let them return to the Uncharted universe. If I'm Sony I wouldn't let another studio other than ND work on Uncharted. Just look at all the flak WB Montreal got with Batman Arkham Origins. I'd feel bad for the poor theoretical studio who would work on the next theoretical Uncharted.

Tbh I don't even want a TLoU2 to be ND's next project although I think it will. I want something new from them.

Mik2121

Nothing. Unless you can get Naughty Dog to make another game with
the daughter
(ending spoilers) or his brother.

Make Uncharted 4's multiplayer free to play in 6 months time.

Make a movie.

Not sure I would continue the franchise as a game. Naughtydog have set too high a bar and ultimately the reason it sells and performs well is because of the ND label, less so Uncharted. Reboot it in several years, only if Naughty Dog will do it, and in the meantime work on U4s MP and the movie in an effort to keep the IP relevant.

zsynqx

They ended it perfectly with 4. If you make another Uncharted it has to be a reboot or
not have Nathan Drake as the main character.

All these spoiler tags lol.

Anyway as many others have said let it rest for a long long time or let it die. They ended it on a high note and are done with it.

Apdiddy

Since Nathan Drake is compared to Indiana Jones, Sony may as well do a game with a younger Victor Sullivan as the main character and his adventures with a young Drake. I've only played the first two chapters of Uncharted 4,
so I could see Sam Drake as the main character with his younger brother Nathan.

Bandit1

Haven't played 4 yet, but I'd kind of like to see Naughty Dog wait a few years and then do some kind of spin off set in the 1600s/1700s or something like that with explorers.

Maybe in about 6-8 years you can reboot it and give it the Force Awakens treatment with Nathan Drake playing the Han Solo type.

Complete with his death

Perhaps they create a new studio like ms did with 343 and have some ex Naughty Dogs as the foundersun who want to keep doing stuff in that space.

I dunno if i could name a current studio I would want to actually do it.

EGOMON

Remedy could possibly do it, i mean they are into this genre and with Uncharted IP it seems like a safe a bet

Hexa

If Dead Don't Ride doesn't do well sales wise but does fine review wise I can see Bend being asked to take up the IP.

Top Bottom