• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Playstation 3 still worth a purchase?

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Uncharted, TLoU, Journey, Flower, GoW3, Heavy Rain......

They are remastering like crazy.
The only reason I can think of to buy a PS3 is that it's an old model and it can play PS2 games.
That's like saying there's no reason to buy a PS2 because they've made HD collections of all the exclusives for PS3.

There are more PS3 exclusives worth playing than just Sony first party games which will likely never see a remaster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_3-only_games

Atomski

Its all up to you..

Does it have enough games you want to play and do you think those games are worth the upfront price for the console?

Jimm

Yeah. You can probably get a used PS3 for a cool $150. Well worth it considering the fantastic library. The controller is kind of ass though. I'd recommend buying a Dualshock 4, a lot of the games should be compatible with it.

A decent used one would be a great way to go.
Still well worth it imo as well, one of my favourite consoles ever and I still buy games for it that I've missed. Way more exclusives than the PS4 has at this point in its library.

One thing to note is that the Dualshock 3's battery life is WAYYYY better.

??? might as well not get any old console then.

to answer your question op a ps3 is totally worth getting. i see them on craigslist for $100~ all the time.

I don't think the issue is the age of the console, but the price. I just looked on Amazon and the 500GB model goes for $260. That's way too much for a console at the end of it's life cycle. It's really a shame Sony couldn't get the cost down. I would have bought an extra console or two if the price had hit the $100 like the PS2 and PS1 did.

Indelible

Now is the perfect time to pick up a PS3, you have a library of over 1000 games right off the bat. Not to mention that you should be able to find most of the best games for dirt cheap nowadays.

I'd highly recommend getting a PS3, the available game library is quite large and really destroys PS Now in almost every way except PS Now games immediately launch without install/download.

I still use mine quite regularly. Every time I have to recharge my PS4 controller, I boot up my PS3 for some lovely Mass Effect.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yes its worth it, but the 12GB version isnt. If you want slim get the slim one before that.

Only thing the 12GB version is good for IMO is making it easier to install a bigger harddrive.

No. It is slow and 10 years old console with no HD support.

lol

Thats like literally the thing it launched with .....10 years ago. Maybe you got it confused with the launch 360.

Kvik

Definitely.

PS3 has its permanent fixture in my TV cabinet. If you like JRPG, Trails of Cold Steel 2 is coming to PS3 this September. PS3 hasn't seen its end of days yet.

Also, I still prefer to stream my media from PS3. That Media Player on PS4 is still utter rubbish.

I recently got one as a spare, though I've got a large collection of ps3 games. There is something about the originals version of exclusive ps3 games that make them very characteristic although the remastered version are great (I'm referring to uncharted etc).

It represents a great decade in gaming I would definately recommend but only if your kind of nostalgic.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
lol

Thats like literally the thing it launched with .....10 years ago. Maybe you got it confused with the launch 360.

But that was HD too. Xbox 360 didn't launch with HDMI but tou didn't need an HDMI cable to do 1080p, a component cable could do it.

Some TVs wouldn't accept 1080p over component, but regardless, even 720p is considered HD. (and by that token there were a handful of Xbox and PS2 games that could output 720p/1080i)

Tapejara

If you have good internet, a PS4, PSTV or a recent Smart TV by Sony or Samsung, then you can just play all of those games through PS Now (except Folklore). I'm hesitant to recommend doing so, because your experience with input lag may vary (I get some nasty input lag with PS Now that makes shooters impossible to play), but it's much more convenient than having to deal with the slow PS3.

Edit: actually, I'd say just go PS3 lol. Great library with lots of hidden gems not on PS Now (3D Dot Game Heroes), and you don't have to worry about any input lag or connection errors.

I love the PS3, I think it's got a great library, but it's become a really clunky system to navigate and use over the years.

Alex

Depending on your tastes, yes, there's a lot of remasters but those are only going to cover very high end Sony games on average. Lotsa good little entries to pick from.

Bioshocker

I bought it in spring 2014 mainly to play The Last of Us and the Uncharted games. But it's not not really worth buying at this stage, I'd say. Most of the games worth playing are on PSN or were released as HD remasters for PS4.

Consumer

It sounds like you don't like any PS3 exclusives; it makes me curious what kind of games you're into. Nintendo? Phone games? Japanese interactive stories? I just don't get it.

Esque7

I've been interested in one for a while, but they are quite expensive new. Can I use any HDD or SSD on one?

Klart

It has a huge & good library. New it's still quite pricey (production costs are high), get one 2nd hand.

PHOTOSHOP

still the best media machine imo.

I can uploaded my torrented movies on there and/or watch netflix

new twitch app is cool too

Danneee

I actually bought one a week ago, mostly because it has a great library of fighting games and because I can use my PS4 stick with it.
And the games library is superior to my PS4 and much much cheaper. Snagged Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Sega Rally and Binary Domain for about $20 incl shipping.

kurahador

Plenty of games to play on it, and that is before you include indies.
Wait until E3 to see if Sony announce a price cut.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
But that was HD too. Xbox 360 didn't launch with HDMI but tou didn't need an HDMI cable to do 1080p, a component cable could do it.

Some TVs wouldn't accept 1080p over component, but regardless, even 720p is considered HD. (and by that token there were a handful of Xbox and PS2 games that could output 720p/1080i)

I know...I was trying to figure out, assume what in the world that person meant about no HD support. TV connection is about the only thing I could think of. Either that or they completely lost their mind.

Englebert3rd

Unconfirmed Member
It's still worth a purchase for me. Plenty of niche titles being released for it, a good amount of digital games and the games are cheap (at least in the UK).

Melchiah

Not necessarily, considering that many of the best exclusives are available as remasters on the PS4. Unless you really want to play games like WipEout HD, Siren: Blood Curse, Shatter, Killzone 2, Resistance: Fall of Man + 3, and MotorStorm series, that aren't available on the PS4. If you can get the system for cheap it might be worth it for those games.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Its worth if for Demons Souls, but imo that is the only exclusive worth getting the console for, especially if you can play the multiplats on a 360 or pc. Still, Demons Souls alone makes it easily worth it.

Edit: Forgot about Yakuza, yeah get the machine!

mulac

Metal Gear series
Catherine
Demons Souls
Infamous 1/2
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus

These alone make it worth it - I'm eying a 500GB pre-owned SuperSlim to sit alongside my PS4/XBone purely because I missed them (Was late to the PS party).

So yes, but only preowned - its absolutely not worth >$250AUD when I can walk into EBGames and grab one for $150AUD.

Thud

If you can find one cheap.

There are some games there. Catherine, Tokyo Jungle and Demon's Souls on top.

I wish Sony made a PS2 slim sized version of the PS3, then it might be worth hooking up. I can't really justify the space around the TV otherwise.

Dinjooh

Passing on TLOU makes me shake my head.

It hits so many venn diagrams: smartly written for those who love art games, gunplay for shooter heads, horror for goths... it's even pretty much moe.

I have no interest in artsy, gunny or horrory games but I still fucking loved it.

Shame to miss out on.

Yes, it's worth the purchase.

Around 140 PS4 retail and PSN games that play just fine are on PS3.

PS3 PSN is better IMHO. It includes classic games not on PS4 that may never happen.

PS3 has way more exclusive good content.

SerTapTap

I would say yes, the PS1 library is great. IF you are willing to rent from PSNow and have no interest in PS1 and PS2 games I guess it's a somewhat valid replacement, but as someone who likes to own games I can't consider it a replacement personally.

Being a first party game, it's just a matter of time before Folklore gets a remaster, right?

Only a small minority of first party games have been remastered. And Folklore wasn't developed internally. Odds seem pretty low since they didn't even bother releasing it digital or adding a trophy patch.

Peltz

In my opinion, yes definitely. This console still has a tremendous exclusive lineup, particularly with regard to non-retail games.

MrS

Banned
It's the worst Playstation console for games so I'd say avoid it and go for a PS4 instead.

Not the worst console for games.

Some devs had issues with handling the tech compared to, say, XB360, but it is far from making the games unplayable. Many games thatvhad issues before, like Bayonetta, were patched up and play fine now.

Plus I'd rather have single disc games (PS3) than multi-disc (XB360).

Absolutely. I got one last year and it's been a blast. Games are dirty cheap and it has lots of hidden gems.

Persona and Sen no kiseki are still coming to ps3. No need to buy a ps4 till they drop the price.

also Uncharted series, GoW series,and TLOU if you don't have a PS4

None of those franchises interest me, unfortunately

I have Okami for my Wii, and have never played it, naturally.

Ico, SotC, Persona 4 and Ni No Kuni don't interest me, unfortunately.

giphy.gif

Legit stunned at the nonchalant dismissal of all these bona fide classics. What genres of game are you after?

catbrush

It's worth it to buy a 1st generation PS3 (CECH-A01) for the full native PS2 support. You should be able to find one for about $200 on Amazon or eBay. The hard drive is a relative breeze to upgrade.

Kazuhira

Demon's souls and Metal gear solid 4 are my only reasons to keep it right now,i don't remember if there's a ps4 version of Heavy Rain though.
Don't get me wrong,the ps3 library is huge but you can't play those 2 games anywhere else.
Also,Persona 5 is reason enough to buy a ps3 IMO(if you can't afford a ps4,of course).

nullcorp

Neo Member
Definitely worth it. Mine is still under the TV.

I'd like to add Dragon's Crown to the titles already mentioned.

Top Bottom