• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I miss Dead Space...

...and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who does. Make no mistake, DS3 didn't exactly leave a good impression, but it was not a horrible game by any means (although the story WAS horrible). I enjoyed it for what it was. DS1 and 2, on the other hand, were both very well-received from what I recall.

I think this generation could use a Dead Space. That series had a distinct feel to it that I'm really missing right now.

Dead Space 1 and 2 were so damn good.

Extraction was great.

Shit even the mobile game and downloadable games were great.

But then Dead Space 3 happened..
Slick co-op exeprience though that I wouldn't mind seeing again, especially the hallucinations. The weapon system was a step down.

Maxey

What do you do with it tho? Do you make a sequel or do you reboot it? I doubt they'll even remaster it.

Should Visceral make a new Dead Space? Who else could make it good again?

Dead Space was my favourite new IP from last gen. I enjoyed DS3 too, though it was nowhere near as good as 1 and 2.

I'd love to see a remaster or a reboot. I'm not sure I want a straight up sequel, as DS3's ending went off the deep end, and a DS4 would clearly be even more action-orientated.

Me too OP, Dead Space was one of my favorite new IPs of the last gen and Dead Space 2 is one of my favorite games. One of the finest successors to the RE4 crown.

GlamFM

Banned
3 got too much hate which ultimately probably killed the franchise.

1. Was an outstanding survival horror game.

2. Was an amazing action horror game.

3. Was an immensely satisfying co-op horror shooter.

The key to enjoying 3 was really playing through the entirety of it with a friend.

DEAD SPACE <3 <3 <3

Amen!

I posted an RTTP thread a couple of weeks ago, as I started playing through it again via Xbone BC.

Such a great game!

+ Ishimura
+ Plasma Cutter
+ Dismemberment
+ Dr Mercer
+ Pukers
+ Regenerator
+ Twitchers
+ The Barracks!!!

After DS3 can't see us getting a new Dead Space, and that is a damned shame.

IvorB

I really enjoyed Dead Space and Dead Space 2. I would love another classic surival horror title like Dead Space again.

DS1 was really fun and it ran like a dream on my crappy PC of that era.

DS2 was still solid.

I guess we could get a soft reboot of some kind? Idk if the story really has anywhere to go from DS3.

I love Dead Space 2.

I cannot comprehend how Dead Space 2 isn't in more people's Top 10 lists.

I can credit three games for completely changing why I played games, where I played them, and the kinds of games I played: Portal, BioShock, and Dead Space 2.

Boy would I kill for a remaster of that. I would say sequel, but I hated Dead Space 3 and now I don't even want more Dead Space. I just want the best Dead Space over again.

The key to enjoying 3 was really playing through the entirety of it with a friend.

DEAD SPACE <3 <3 <3

Preach it , Brother. When on the the players saw visions, which the other one couldnt see it was so cool to talk about those.

I love Dead Space 2.

I cannot comprehend how Dead Space 2 isn't in more people's Top 10 lists.

I can credit three games for completely changing why I played games, where I played them, and the kinds of games I played: Portal, BioShock, and Dead Space 2.

Boy would I kill for a remaster of that. I would say sequel, but I hated Dead Space 3 and now I don't even want more Dead Space. I just want the best Dead Space over again.
Yeah, Dead Space 2 was the most critically acclaimed entry of the trilogy. I guess at this point I wouldn't say no to a remaster, but I'd really like a new installment in this universe.

IMO - and I know they're very different - but Alien Isolation is this gen's Dead Space, except it's better.
Alien was pretty close indeed. Reminded me a lot of the original Dead Space.

ffvorax

You should play "Extraction", it's a good spin off.

I miss a space horror anyway too... well Alien in this generation was fantastic now that it comes to my mind.

inki

I only played DS1 in the dark with surround headphones on. OMG the immersion. I could only play it for an hour or 2 at a time because it scared the shit out of me. LOVED it. DS2 was much less scary and more actiony but still solid (like the twist).

I'd love a new DS though, reboot please.

Right there with you, OP. Easily one of my favorite new IP from last generation and a worthy successor to Resident Evil 4.

The void left by Dead Space hasn't really been filled this gen. I think The Evil Within did a fairly decent job of continuing that style of gameplay but it was in a completely different setting. Dead Space is such an under-appreciated gem of a franchise.

Hell, I even went to bat for DS3 in multiple threads here on GAF (and got blasted for it). The game has many flaws but in spite of them I had a great time with it and really enjoyed certain parts of it. Exploring the abandoned research colony on the snow planet was a real joy that gave off some serious The Thing vibes.

<3 Dead Space

Biggest Brook

Neo Member
I am also of the opinion that Dead Space 3 wasn't a bad game aside from the awful love triangle over Ellie 2.0 (why wasn't she the co-op character or something after proving how awesome she was in DS2?). The co-op missions in particular were great, especially for the person playing as Carver asking the Isaac player if they were seeing anything unusual the further into the game you went. And if that dlc hadn't come out that basically turns Isaac into Commander Shepard needing to fight the Reapers, then we would have at least had a passable conclusion to the story.

That being said, I think that, much like everyone else, we need to return to the roots of the franchise and examine what made DS1+DS2 so great. I think we primarily need a new protagonist, because from a narrative stand point it only makes sense that Isaac becomes more used to fighting off necromorphs with each game, inherently making them less scary to both him and the player alike as we progress with him. Give us a new character, give us a new set of unconventional weapons so we have to relearn how to fight, give us some form of creativity in combat encounters where we have to use the environment to our advantage.

Eggbok

Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are two of my favorite games. I got the platinum for both games. I hope we get a new one soon, would love to see how creepy they could make a Dead Space with current technology.

Dead Space was easily one of my top new ip's, and game, of last generation. It had some of the best atmosphere and dread in any game I have played. I thought the mechanic of dismemberment was a great idea as it allowed for more efficient kills but came at a cost of having to line up your shots more carefully.

I didn't think DS3 was all that bad; it just felt indicative of how games get moulded into something different to align with certain player feedback.

the only game series where I have all the achievements for every mainline game (DS1+DS2+DS3) and I still play the odd campaign every now and then because I love the games that much. I know everybody slams DS3, but the open worldly, floating between derelicts spaceship stuff was great and I would take another game of that kind of design.

Dead Space 2 is the highlight for me though. That whole sequence where you return to you know where, no other game in my memory has played that well with it's own lore/setting. I love that you anticipate the moments and attacks from the first game, but they play with that to perfection.

Sadist

I'll repost my comment from the Dead Space thread we had two weaks ago

If Alien and Resident Evil 4 had a love child. Minimal use of music, silent main character which worked wonders during cutscenes and cool use of weaponry. Absolutely fantastic.

Btw, you know what my favourite thing is about Dead Space? The HUD. Or better yet, the lack of one. For years I see countless developers and publishers touting their next cinematic experience is truly immersive and will suck you in. When you get that particular game, the first thing you see are meters, ammo counts, mini maps, health bars etc. The guys at Visceral said "nope can't have that in a horror/action game". Putting the healthbar right in front of you on Isaac's back is smart and practical. Your weapons displaying the amount of ammo it has makes it easy to keep up with your inventory. And even if you have to look at something like a collectible you can pull up a very simple screen in front of your helmet. Purely on design Dead Space rocks. Man I wish more developers would employ the no-HUD rule. Makes your game (a horror game) actually immersive.

Dead Space 2 is a great evolution, but in the end it concentrated a bit too much on the action. I did however like the Iron Man like flights in space. Zero Gravity bits improved a lot with the sequel. As for Dead Space 3... it's not bad. Its just there. Shame about the game and the micro transaction bullshit from EA.

Oh before I forget; the real Dead Space 3 is Dead Space Extraction. Yes it's onrails, but man the story is so good in this game. Storywise the best in the franchise. Plus the game itself is better that it should have been.

So do I. DS1 is probably one of my favorite survival horrors ever. It's such a good game. Shame they went the action route with 2, because the series was only headed in one direction after it became popular. And now it's dead. :(

Jackpot

Banned
DS Extraction captured the atmosphere perfectly. Way, way better than Umbrella Chronicles did with Resident Evil. Check it out.

I honestly do not know if I played DS2 or not, but I LOVE DS1. First game I platinumed (and one of the very few I did). I think I watched a Western cartoon about it too. Man, those things are ugly.

cacildo

The first was great

The second... well... while i was playing i realized if i died, i would just respawn a few meters back.

It felt kinda stupid... they should have worked on a system to make death something that could cost the player, and balance the game around it

I really didnt bother to play the third one

EA in the 360 era had two of my favorite New Franchise + New Franchise Sequels that are Better since, I don't know, the NES days? Dead Space and Mass Effect were such revelations.

After playing through DS1 thanks to Games with Gold, I am really, really, REALLY wishing the DS2 and DS3 were BC so I could play through DS2 again and play DS3 for the first time.

Visceral is, sadly, too busy making a Star Wars game to make a new Dead Space, though. :(

PS. Can someone at EA put a good remaster team and do a full Dead Space remaster on a disc? With all DLC and everything? Thanks!

Seriously, two is one of my favourite games. Probably my favourite of the genre.

I think Deadspace would also make for a great film. When I was watching Gravity all I could think was "Man a Deadspace film in this style would be amazing."

silva1991

One of the many IPs that died because of tasteless gamers of last gen that wanted nothing, but action.

what a shame it died so fat.

Guy.brush

DS3 had an amazing mission where your co-op partner would see things you didn't.
Shit was absolutely fantastic.

He: "You also seeing these candles, dead bodies and blood everywhere?!"
Me: Nope. Not at all, you are trying to mess with me!
He: Don't BS me man, I'm on prescription drugs and my nerves are shaky atm so don't do this shit.

DS1 is probably my favourite horror game of all time, seeing as I got into that genre of games so late.

Space, zero-g and monsters go so well together, Visceral nailed the first two titles even if the second was more actiony.
Not sure how they could bring it back again as anything other than a soft reboot.

I agree. I didn't really understand the hate. Besides the story and microtransactions, there was a really fun experience in there.

Shame, because all the reviews and comments made me not even want to try DS3.
Think I even dodged it on PS+ which was dumb -_-

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
3 was an abomination, if more Dead Space means more games like that then I'm glad the series is on hiatus.

DS Extraction captured the atmosphere perfectly. Way, way better than Umbrella Chronicles did with Resident Evil. Check it out.

Definitely, Extraction was a great game and a had much more interesting cast and a better told story than either 2 or 3.

Eumi

Always kind of felt 2 took the franchise as far as it could go. Survival horror like that just kind of seems hard to keep going, as you'll either end out becoming stake or becoming a pure shooter, and whilst dead space is a very shooty game I wouldn't ever want it to just become a standard TPS.

terrier

Guess i am lucky. I enjoyed DS a lot. Played the first one twice on ps3 and twice on 360.
But still have DS2 on hold and DS3 too from PSN+.
I am currently alternating with ps4 and ps3 psn+ gamelog but will probably play DS2 when i finish Spec Ops, now that i've seen this thread and made me remember about the franchise.
I wish a Ds trilogy remastered would be released on ps4. Because a new DS seems unlikely nowadays.

Original DS reminds me a lot of Event Horizon :)

purg3

slept with Malkin
1 was pretty close to a perfect survival horror game for me. Loved it. 2 had some really good moments, but it completely fell apart in the last half of the game. The repeated monster hallways and enemies just got to be annoying and not fun. I didn't even attempt to play 3. A mix of 1 and 2 would be great if they ever go back to this franchise.

DS3 had an amazing mission where your co-op partner would see things you didn't.
Shit was absolutely fantastic.

He: "You also seeing these candles, dead bodies and blood everywhere?!"
Me: Nope. Not at all, you are trying to mess with me!
He: Don't BS me man, I'm on prescription drugs and my nerves are shaky atm so don't do this shit.

I never knew this, that sounds awesome.

DEAD SPACE <3 <3 <3

I agree with all of this.

3 was a good co-op experience, one that does not happen often at all given the theme and atmosphere.

Top Bottom