• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's next for Blizzard/What would you like to see from Blizzard after Overwatch?

jabuseika

Warcraft 4 is the right answer.

But I don't want them to go casual.

Give it the brutal speed of SC2, combined with more available units and more varied strategies.

I'm tired of SC2's tiny maps, I want huge maps, with more diverse environments, maybe even destructible environments.

They've already know how to do good coop, with the new coop mode in Legacy of the Void. Now make it bigger, better, more enemies, more players. Coop campaign? why not.

Bring back the fun of RTS's, we need more late game OP units, more players at once in one map. Don't make me stress out because I need to get build orders perfect in the first 10 mins.

MGrant

Two more ideas:

Kart Racer - As one of the few gameplay-first companies left, I'd like to see Blizzard's take on this genre. I think they could really nail the feel of good drifting and steering mechanics while also leveraging their IPs to make boatloads of cash from a market that's almost completely untapped on PC.

Action RTS - Sacrifice and Brutal Legend were quite fun in multiplayer, but didn't feel as good to play as Blizzard's games, so I think they could create something great with this. There's also stuff like Pikmin to draw from, which that had great mechanics but never really explored very deep into different units/strategies for winning.

Zukkoyaki

After the experience of working on Overwatch, I'd like to see them either resurrect Starcraft Ghost as something of an FPS-RPG that offers multiple play-styles akin to Deus Ex, or like others have suggested develop a full TPS action-adventure in the Starcraft universe. Basically make the game that Destiny was supposed to be.

LtOrange

I really want a multiplayer game from them that isn't competitive in nature. Diablo on a MMO scale would be really awesome.

I'd be down for a blizzard survival game. I dont see them making another MMO or RTS again, or if so, for a long time. Those two genres are pretty much dead (because of MOBAs).

Proelite

Warcraft IV.

Bigger battles.
Dota 2 like pace.
Hero led factions.
More Steampunk.
Emphasis on competive team multiplayer.

Dr. Buni

MMO is in decline these days. The investment is too damn high for a risky market. There's no high profile mmo development anymore from the West. Only the Korean and Chinese left who are making mmo these days. The western devs are resorting to lower riks projects like moba, multiplayer games and such. Even if there's mmo, they're simplified like Destiny and Division. I believe there'll be no more AAA open world mmo from western developers for unforseeable future.
I'd like a new quality MMO, though. I missed the WoW boat and FFXIV is the only really good one atm :/

I want a new Warcraft strategy game.
Set it 100 years after WoW if you have to, but give me a new Warcraft strategy game with a huge campaign with an awesome story and awesome online mode.

I just want WarCraft IV, damnit ;_;

Psyae

I'd love for Blizzard to release Warcraft 4 and then make WoW 2 based on the outcome of events during it. Although I still play it, I like to think that with WoW's dwindling subscriber base (and despite Legion coming out soon) that Blizzard will decide to have a final expansion sooner rather than later. Shortly after that Warcraft 4 and then once people are hungry for an MMO again, bam! WoW2

Oh, and I'd also love to see some type of co-op campaign within Overwatch. I mean, with all of the different roles and skills that they have within that game, it reminds me a lot of raid compositions and how neat it would be to have boss fights that you have to work as a team to complete.

I want a new Warcraft strategy game.
Set it 100 years after WoW if you have to, but give me a new Warcraft strategy game with a huge campaign with an awesome story and awesome online mode.

I just want WarCraft IV, damnit ;_;

If they make a new Warcraft game (and that's a HUGE if) it'll almost certainly be a prequel, not a sequel. WoW can work around a prequel a lot easier than it can work around a sequel... and WoW is still not going anywhere.

Warcraft 4, then World of Warcraft 2 based on that story.

Wow definitely needs a reboot, it's crumbling under its own weight. It needs a fresh start with new gameplay ideas and a new engine.

Spwn

I would like to see them bring back The Lost Vikings in their own game. It was so cool that they included them in HOTS.

Kyonashi

Hearthstone on consoles please.

then transition HS into Cards of the Storm and bring in Diablo, Starcraft and Overwatch cards.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Warcraft 4
3PRPG in the Warcraft universe.

I need me some not crazy ass Warcraft story.
Wow ain't gonna give that again.

I would love either some kind of DarkSiders style game where you play as Illidan or Sylvanas or a single player RPG that plays like Dragon Age (or WoW with pausing).

Also a Warcraft themed Diablo game where you can play as Warcraft people or maybe crate characters like in WoW.

I hope for Warcraft IV.

After the amazing job they did with the SCII trilogy I hope that RTS team isn't wasted on WoW expansions or something. They could really make something special with the Warcraft universe and going back to smaller unit counts and hero units with abilities. Maybe cut it down to 3 races to avoid the balance issues WC3 had. Invest more into the coop missions and maybe a coop campaing to more intice people who get intimidated by the current competitive RTS multiplayer.

Hearthstone on consoles please.

then transition HS into Cards of the Storm and bring in Diablo, Starcraft and Overwatch cards.

Nah, they've diluted their brands enough with Hearthstone and Heroes... No need to water them down further.

More spin offs with those series, but make them more story focused.

Acosta

I want a new MMO, something that make me feel what I felt with WoW again.

It won't happen, it may not even be possible to achieve that because that was a product of its time, first MMO love and all. But that's what I really want, as irrational as it sounds.

Greddleok

I want a single player RPG. I want to get lost in a world of Blizzard's making, like I did with WoW, but without the multiplayer aspect (I just don't have time for that any more.)

WC4 needs to happen.

I know the time for RTS's is gone, but I still believe.

Is it really though? SC2 did really well and I think proved there is room for at least one high budget RTS out there.

DOW3 just got announced, Total War: Warhammer is coming out in a few days, and a bunch of other RTSs have hit recently: Ashes of the Singularity, 8 Bit Armies, Battlefleet Gothic Armada, Offworld Trading Company, Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak, Act of Agression, etc.

It's like the RTS genre has more bad press about it than it actually performs. They have to be making at least some money for so many to keep coming out right?

Sometimes I feel like people just have the expectation that RTS is dead just because it's a genre that didn't and probably never will translate well to the big budget console market, and that expectation becomes reality.

I think a Myth style game based on Warcraft could be interesting; no base building, just focus on tactical (small) squad based warfare.
One of the reasons I say this is because if they're going to make a new WCIV I expect it to be an evolution of WCIII.
I'd rather see something back to basics, with emphasis on the action/tactics.

JarrodL

Blizzard is such a weird company to me. All their games seem to be big successes, selling in the margin of dozens of millions, with apparently huge fanbases and great word of mouth. Yet, when I look at their catalogue, I don't see much of anything that appeals to me. Like at all.

My preferences are in games with strong single-player components, with a focus on good story and characters. I ignore MMOs, multiplayer-only shooters, and most of the online-focused stuff entirely. I played (and even finished) Diablo I and II, and I just don't get what's so good about those games and why they are SO popular (they're well-made games, but combat is boring to me, story and characters seem bland and average, not interested in co-op, and the loot hunting loop gets old long before the game is over). I kind of enjoyed playing the first Starcraft back in the day, so maybe I should try Starcraft II and its expansions. But all I hear or read about SC2 these days are multiplayer competition news or co-op mission updates, which again suggests it's probably not a game designed for me.

I guess what I want from Blizzard is to finally make a game that I would want to play. Warcraft IV with a good SP campaign and a great deal of world and character lore? An RPG like the Witcher in the potentially awesome Warcraft or Starcraft settings? Anything? Blizzard, please.

Blizzard is such a weird company to me. All their games seem to be big successes, selling in the margin of dozens of millions, with apparently huge fanbases and great word of mouth. Yet, when I look at their catalogue, I don't see much of anything that appeals to me. Like at all.

My preferences are in games with strong single-player components, with a focus on good story and characters. I ignore MMOs, multiplayer-only shooters, and most of the online-focused stuff entirely. I played (and even finished) Diablo I and II, and I just don't get what's so good about those games and why they are SO popular (they're well-made games, but combat is boring to me, story and characters seem bland and average, not interested in co-op, and the loot hunting loop gets old long before the game is over). I kind of enjoyed playing the first Starcraft back in the day, so maybe I should try Starcraft II and its expansions. But all I hear or read about SC2 these days are multiplayer competition news or co-op mission updates, which again suggests it's probably not a game designed for me.

I guess what I want from Blizzard is to finally make a game that I would want to play. Warcraft IV with a good SP campaign and a great deal of world and character lore? An RPG like the Witcher in the potentially awesome Warcraft or Starcraft settings? Anything? Blizzard, please.

SC2 and it's expansions are the finest single player RTS campaigns ever made imo. If you are solely a single player person I think you are missing out by skipping out on them just because of the multiplayer press the series gets.

SC2 and it's expansions are the finest single player RTS campaigns ever made imo. If you are solely a single player person I think you are missing out by skipping out on them just because of the multiplayer press the series gets.

agreed. I only play SC2 for single player and since the last extension, the coop because its great but I never really touched MP.

MrPanic

Most of all I want them to make a singleplayer/co-op campaign for Overwatch. As for something new, I'd like to see them making a singleplayer game. Probably something like a rpg or something totally unexpected like a sci-fi GTA or something crazy like that.

It shouldn't be weird. They primarily make multiplayer games and you like single player games.

Rektash

Something new and fresh for a start. You know, the kind of stuff Blizzard doesn't do normally.

But I am not a big fan of Blizzards overpolished, AAA, no risks taken games. My opinion on Blizzard in general is that they make great games that are creatively bankrupt.

Blizzard is really good at making big popular IPs targeted at the biggest audiences possible. They are kind of like that big hollywood studio that chugs out enjoyable but mostly forgettable blockbuster actionflicks.

Ultimatly, I prefer the more subtle, intimate experiences other studios have to offer.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
A fighting game. It just needs to happen for the best interests of the genre. Either from Blizzard, Riot or Valve. And not because the genre needs more games, but it needs higher quality of competition, from a service point of view. Basically what I'm saying is that, certain developers that are resting on their laurels need a good kick up the arse, and to be held to more modern standards.

Starcraft VS Warcraft?

Maledict

Something new and fresh for a start. You know, the kind of stuff Blizzard doesn't do normally.

But I am not a big fan of Blizzards overpolished, AAA, no risks taken games. My opinion on Blizzard in general is that they make great games that are creatively bankrupt.

Blizzard is really good at making big popular IPs targeted at the biggest audiences possible. They are kind of like that big hollywood studio that chugs out enjoyable but mostly forgettable blockbuster actionflicks.

Ultimatly, I prefer the more subtle, intimate experiences other studios have to offer.

Whilst acknowledging your personal opinions, I would have to disagree on the "take no risks" approach.

Starcraft was a big risk - it was a non-3D RTs at a time when everyone said that was mandatory.

WC3 was a big risk - they made the game about heroes, and opened up the modding scene in a way no other RTs had done. Not sure if people remember,. but there were huge outcries about WC3 because of the hero and item aspect. People really thought it would ruin the game as it made it less of an RTS and wa sa big jump away from WC2.

WoW was a huge risk - at the time, Everquest was the market leader, with 450K subs, and everyone thought that was about a big as a western MMO would get. Numerous games had challenged Everquest and failed, so Blizzard pumping tons of cash into the game and redefining the entire MMO genre at the time was a huge risk (again, the transition from EQ to WoW was as big as the shift to full 3D MMOs. they made SO many fundamental changes to the model in a thousand little and big ways).

Heck, Overwatch is a risk - Blizzard have never made a game anything like it before, it's a completely new IP. Going into an already established genre where you have zero experience and being able to make a game that so clearly has a lot of people's attention is a fairly impressive mark of quality.

Blizzard have never rested on their laurels, and are more willing than other companies to try new things - and to cancel them when they don't work out. The idea that they are the Michael Bay of gaming is a bit silly, because objectively they have utterly defined modern gaming for millions upon millions of people, changing and owning three genres (RTs, MMO, Action RPG) in a way that makes every other game that has followed them in some way a copy. Warcraft, Diablo and starcraft are huge brands *because* of Blizzard making amazing games and continuing to support them years beyond anyone else.

I'd like to see them bring the Warcraft trilogy into the HD era, but that's a far cry I suppose. Just like it's a far cry to get Warcraft 4 :(

Honestly I really think they need a Warcraft 4. Reboot the lore and universe with a new rich and iconic story, new characters and locations, and all Hearthstone and WoW or WoW 2 to benefit from that.

I know it's great to try new things but Warcraft is their bread and butter and it needs some proper love.

I think a Myth style game based on Warcraft could be interesting; no base building, just focus on tactical (small) squad based warfare.
One of the reasons I say this is because if they're going to make a new WCIV I expect it to be an evolution of WCIII.
I'd rather see something back to basics, with emphasis on the action/tactics.

This is an absolutely fucking brilliant idea...

Top Bottom