• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

A long time ago there was a healer called zenyetta that used to be T1 but nobody touches him anymore since the nerf parade.

I actually still like playing Zenyatta a lot. It's a ton of fun to be a tank shredder while still supporting your team, even if your attention is getting a little split.

Nobody expects the instant death that comes from alt fire.

True dat. Altho I've seen tons of D.Vas. Reinhardt second and Roadhog third but the rest are rarely played. Winston and Zarya are often ignored from the games I've played.

On a similar note, Zarya is the only tank I'm willing to play. I love getting the cannon to full charge.

Mupod

I guess my hidden rating has gotten high enough that last night my friend and I were fighting a lot of the same high level people. I know your level only indicates time played, but you can probably assume that when you're seeing multiple level 55-60 people in a match that you're playing against the real overwatch diehards. I've done nothing but play this game since it came out and even took a day off work, and I'm 'only' 34.

Anyways, I rarely have issues with character selections now. People pick what is needed, I play support every few matches and it's fine. I don't have AS many problems with them fighting over stairs in a corner but there's still a lack of grouping up together on offense.

My main problem is the complete and total absence of situational awareness. When do people start backing up when they hear FIRE IN THE HOLE, looking up when justice rains from above, or taking cover from high noon? So many times I'm the sole survivor of an ultimate.

Also most Reapers now have figured out that people don't look up so I'm sitting here watching one basically do the equivalent of this while up on a ledge:

JH1eNp1.gif

And of course you can guess what would happen to my clustered-up teammates who don't look at anything but what is in front of their crosshairs. My favorite was the Hanzo on Numbani defense where all of us immediately fell back to defend, but this guy didn't notice and was just standing behind a bus aiming at the enemy spawn. They all just ran past him and he was still just aiming at that one spot when they turned around and blew him up.

I have started seeing good play from people though. Tracers capitalizing on Zarya ults or Lucio reacting with his shield when we all get caught by one.

LiK

I actually still like playing Zenyatta a lot. It's a ton of fun to be a tank shredder while still supporting your team, even if your attention is getting a little split.

Nobody expects the instant death that comes from alt fire.

On a similar note, Zarya is the only tank I'm willing to play. I love getting the cannon to full charge.

I tried Zarya for the first time today and she's weird. I can see how she can be quite powerful. I suck at using the bubbles tho.

Also, I've gotten much better with Symmetra. Getting smarter with where to place those turrets and I understand her potential. Learned a lot from an enemy Symmetra who destroyed me. You actually should be more aggressive with her upclose and she can kill so fast. Hoping to unlock one of her Legendary outfits.

I've done nothing but play this game since it came out and even took a day off work, and I'm 'only' 34.
Yeah, same. I've played it every hour available and took Friday off, and I'm 36 or something. Like, I'm worried and a little ashamed of how much time I've spent playing it... and I'm still only 36. How are people getting up to those levels so fast.

abundant

True dat. Altho I've seen tons of D.Vas. Reinhardt second and Roadhog third but the rest are rarely played. Winston and Zarya are often ignored from the games I've played.

In my games played the last few days, Zarya is always the main tank on the opposing team. She's a pain in the ass in the hands of a good player.

LiK

Hell yes. The first one I spent coins on right when I got them.

They need to change some of her legendaries to more Egyptian themes not Native American ones.

Someone in a group was confused with her nationality because of the costumes, hehe

Also. Mei's Legendary costumes are pure garbage. I will never equip them. Hoping for better costumes for her.

LiK

Genji + Mei is a far worse combo to go against, IMO. Actually, Mei + anyone is a harder combo.

Basically if you're distracted by anyone else, Mei can creep up and freeze you and dead. I really wish she didn't have the instant self-heal block of ice ability. That makes her annoying. Maybe they can make the cool down to use it longer or something,

Mupod

I see plenty of Zenyettas

I see him often enough but it's often pretty clearly someone with little experience on the character. He's my second most played character and one of my favorites, which makes it real obvious when the Zenyatta on either side doesn't know what he's doing. In particular I facepalm hard when I see one as the solo healer on a control point map.

When things are really working out on defense I feel like the most OP thing in the game as him. Killing tanks and flankers before they even know what's happening, topping off spread-out defenders, denying the point with my own ult no matter how many ultimates they throw at it. But when I have a bad team I might as well not exist.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
I don't know what you're talking about, GAF. Support is where allll the cool cats hang out. It's an elite club, that's why there's so few of us. Sometimes the esprit de corps wells up and I just feel like my heart will beat out of m' chest.

Keasar

Well, if you and your friends were grouped... yeah, it's gonna match you against other groups.

Also, for some reason Overwatch keeps both teams together if they stay in matchmaking. If you got stomped by a group and didn't have fun, restart matchmaking. It sounds like you lost 7 games in a row because you played the same team 7 times.
It was three different teams.

Maybe you guys just suck?
Totally probable but then the game should match us against others who suck?

uh.

the game has a matchmaking system.
you are constantly changing your MMR while you play.
you are just not properly placed yet, as are others, so bad matchups happen.
especially with groups.
Its really poorly made then if it exists.

Wait so youre grouped yourself and you are complaining you are getting matched against other grouped players?
Against vastly better players. Like, standing no chance better.

Axiom

Zarya, Zenyatta and Mai are my favourite heroes to play and I like this because it means I tend to have someone I really enjoy in almost every role.

I still switch it up as needed to other folks in those roles but the problem is I just don't have an offence character I like. I end up just switching to 76 as a default choice.

I don't like melee and I don't like sniping...so McCree or Reaper maybe?

Moff

lucio is a great character, but I'm just having too much fun with mercy jumping around in the level and the rezz is simply the most powerful ultimate in the game
I'd still say she is more replacable than reinhardt. I think reinhard ist just the one character you need in some situations, period.

Basically if you're distracted by anyone else, Mei can creep up and freeze you and dead. I really wish she didn't have the instant self-heal block of ice ability. That makes her annoying. Maybe they can make the cool down to use it longer or something,

In 1v1s that self healing block is useful but if people gang up on Mei, unless we're on Brawl, it's relatively tricky to get her out of a situation unless you somehow ice wall between you and the enemy while in a corridor etc. Even though I play as Mei a lot and love her that self healing block could get a slight nerf in healing and probably its health.

Edit: Sounds like i should try Lucio. I love Mercy but Lucio seems quite cool, I just don't "get" him yet. Feels like i'm never sure if i'm healing people

Special C

I wonder if competitive tournaments will have a pick/ban system like a MOBA. Heck I'd kill for one in ranked play built into the game but that goes against the casual audience blizzard is courting.

Mupod

You all know once Sombra is out this game is gonna go to shit for like maybe 2 weeks with teams having multiple Sombras.

Expect them to put heroes up in batches. The last new hero release was Mei, Genji and D-Va if I remember correctly.

Torbjorn + Symmetra with a teleport up on the defense team

God help me.

I had this setup last night. Me on Zenyatta with 250 hp and turrets taking out flankers was glorious. It actually fell apart quickly on the first point of Numbani but once we got established we didn't even budge.

I don't like melee and I don't like sniping...so McCree or Reaper maybe?
A good McCree uses a lot of "sniping." The roll and fan the hammer tactic is superb up close, but ideally you're a huge mid-range threat, too.

I'd suggest Reaper (barely have to aim), Tracer (if you don't mind going hard for 100% of the game), maybe Pharah.

Tabby

Which is funny because Winston and Zarya are probably my two most played tanks next to D.Va

Winston has really grown on me. He definitely could do with a buff though.

Special C

Someone complaining about there not being a healer or tank has the same ability to be one themselves. They're not obligated but if they really feel it's important, they can fill those shoes

I used to always pick last and fill what was needed. I was happy to do it. I got tired of playing support every game so now I insta-pick who I want and usually the team fills out nicely around me. If it doesn't then I change characters at that point to what the team needs. I feel like it's a good balance of selfishness and teamwork.

LiK

Which is funny because Winston and Zarya are probably my two most played tanks next to D.Va

Winston has really grown on me. He definitely could do with a buff though.

Yea, I think Winston is fun to play but his gun does shit damage so it's not worth it. Wish he got a buff.

Any halfway decent Lucio guide videos online? I want to understand how to play him.

I haven't watched any videos but from learning on my own, you need to be quite mobile and keep moving around similar to Tracer. Hit and run but keep healing support for the team. He's a fast guy so he's hard to hit especially with speed boost. I still haven't figured out his wall running thing tho.

fhqwhgads

Lucio is the best healer to play when you're on a bad team. It's nigh impossible to play Zenyetta well on a tunnelvision team that never protects their supports or notices when there's discord orbs on enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom