• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anti-Trump protest erupts in Albuquerque downtown, NM after Trump held an event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump protesters smash door, break through barriers
(CNN)Protesters lit fires, smashed a door and threw rocks outside a Donald Trump rally Tuesday night in New Mexico -- the latest scuffle to follow the presumptive Republican nominee's campaign.
The scene outside Albuquerque's convention center was chaotic as police ushered protesters away from Trump's event and into the nearby streets.

There, anti-Trump protesters -- many critical of his positions on immigration -- loudly chanted, "F*** Donald Trump."

The protesters had broken a glass door to the convention center. Some taunted police and jumped on police vehicles as officers in riot gear and on police horses moved them away from the convention center's exits.

Trump had already left the event.

The scene was reminiscent of the violence between Trump supporters and protesters in Chicago in March.

This time, though, police kept protesters and Trump supporters apart, and didn't arrest or clash with the protesters.
Despite initial word of gunshots, Albuquerque's police department said on Twitter that there was "no confirmation" of gunshots.

"There is no confirmation that any gunshots were fired, contrary to reports. Possible damage to Convention Center Windows by pellet gun," the department tweeted.

Police reported rocks and bottles being thrown at their police horses, but downplayed their clashes with protesters on Twitter, noting that they hadn't used tear gas and had not arrested any of the protesters.

"The smoke that has been seen is not tear gas, it's just smoke. We have not deployed tear gas at this time," the police tweeted.

Piggus

lol at MSNBC trying to get ground coverage.

Reporter: "Why are you here?"

Protester: "Because fuck Trump!"

People are protesting and rioting against this clown at every opportunity but Trump supporters insist the GE will be a landslide or a tight race. Suuuure it will...

It's amazing he would come here, everyone's been gearing up to protest that insipid man.

This was happening a few blocks from where I live.

Archer

heres-how-tom-hardy-perfected-banes-voice-in-the-dark-knight-rises.jpg

A very poor way to protest. You can't fight hatred with this kind of stuff. Hopefully the groups behind these protests start doing things differently.

Yeah people should be out there protesting but when you start damaging property or causing violence you just play into his supporters thoughts about immigrants.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If anything protesting violently would only bolster Trump more and would provoke his supporters to say, "See? See?"

Worst case it may even make his support grows bigger.

Mizerman

Oh, only one side can be shameful. Understood.

So "protesting" while throwing rocks and bottles at police and lighting fires is fine in your eyes? Okie-dokie.

Both sides are acting like fucks.

Protesting is fine in my eyes when it's clear that you don't want a person like that to be POTUS and feel that his views are disgusting.

Please spare me with the whole "both sides are awful/wrong/fucks" nonsense. This isn't South Park and you're sure as hell not Matt Stone or Trey Parker.

Do you understand?

If anything protesting violently would only bolster Trump more and would provoke his supporters to say, "See? See?"

Worst case it may even make his support grows bigger.

The ones who already support Trump will continue to support his views no matter what.

Protesting is fine in my eyes when it's clear that you don't want a person like that to be POTUS and feel that his views are disgusting.

Please spare me with the whole "both sides are awful/wrong/fucks" nonsense. This isn't South Park and you're sure as hell not Matt Stone or Trey Parker.

Do you understand?

The ones who already support Trump will continue to support his views no matter what.

Am I missing a reference with that South Park shit?

And no, just because you don't want someone to be president, especially when they're only running for president, that doesn't give you free reign to light fires, destroy public property and throw bottles/rocks at horses and police. Thinking otherwise is incredibly moronic.

I have no problem with protesting, but becoming violent and destructive over a nominee is just ridiculous.

Mizerman

Am I missing a reference with that South Park shit?

And no, just because you don't want someone to be president, especially when they're only running for president, that doesn't give you free reign to light fires, destroy public property and throw bottles/rocks at horses and police. Thinking otherwise is incredibly moronic.

I have no problem with protesting, but becoming violent and destructive over a nominee is just ridiculous.

Never said nor implied it gave people "free reign" to do all that stuff. In fact, I hope nobody gets injured in the outcome. But I completely understand when people protesting with "Fuck Donald Trump" and continue to do so. Because I agree with the sentiment. Always.

Polari

No.

Those that support Trump and his ways are shameful.

So destroying private property and throwing rocks isn't shameful?

I think we can comfortably condemn both. Two wrongs don't make a right. Some people here seem to have the impression that if you perceive righteousness to be on your side, you can do whatever the fuck you want with little thought of consequences.

studyguy

Most of the west simply won't tolerate Trump. Not sure why people are suprised things get rowdy in one of the states with the highest Latino populations in the nation.

Same thing happened in CA, will likely continue in other west coast rallies bordering the southern border.

Is it right? No. But it's not unexpected at this point.

I may not like Trump but please dont Assault people or Police Horses. All of this is making him vindicated.

If you believe he is spouting hate respond with Love and Tolerance.

Once you start attacking Animals you lose all respect from me.

No.

Those that support Trump and his ways are shameful.

Normally I have a much more permissive view of these things, but it seems that destroying local property to protest a guy coming in from out of town is a really bad way to go about things. This isn't some outrage at an existing local structure that must be meeted out by communal rage.

This isn't to say Trump isn"t an objectively horrible pox on this country, but this is a bad response.

Mizerman

So destroying private property and throwing rocks isn't shameful?

I think we can comfortably condemn both. Two wrongs don't make a right. Some people here seem to have the impression that if you perceive righteousness to be on your side, you can do whatever the fuck you want with little thought of consequences.

Nah, you can do the whole "both sides are terrible" bit if you want. There is no we in this situation. You do you.

Once again, I never said it was "right" with the whole public property destruction bit. I said understand wholeheartedly with the "Fuck Donald Trump" protesting. I agree with it and no manner of applying the whole "both sides are wrong" technique will change my mind.

Normally I have a much more permissive view of these things, but it seems that destroying local property to protest a guy coming in from out of town is a really bad way to go about things. This isn't some outrage at an existing local structure that must be meeted out by communal rage.

This isn't to say Trump isn"t an objectively horrible pox on this country, but this is a bad response.

*Shrugs*

There's nothing I can do about that. I'm not gonna lie and take it back. Again, destroying property isn't the way I would approve of protesting, but I definitely agree with Trump being a plague.

antonz

Its Anarchists taking advantage of situations. The Protest was much larger and peaceful earlier before and during the Trump event. Then the usual troublemakers show up and turn things to shit after all the law abiding protesters leave.

2 hours after the event ends and Trump and his supporters are long gone. Why are they still trying to destroy property and get access to the convention center?

Its fantastic images and audio for Trump. Large amounts of Protesters chanting in Spanish, Mexican Flags waving as they try to set fires, throw rocks and bottles at officers etc.

Nah, you can do the whole "both sides are terrible" bit if you want. There is no we in this situation. You do you.

Once again, I never said it was "right" with the whole public property destruction bit. I said understand wholeheartedly with the "Fuck Donald Trump" protesting. I agree with it and no manner of applying the whole "both sides are wrong" technique will change my mind.
Nobody's saying simply protesting is as bad as voting for Trump. Nobody (here) is saying the "both sides are wrong" for simply protesting or having the "Fuck Donald Trump" attitude. Nobody's interested in trying to change your mind about that attitude. But in this specific instance both sides are terrible. I don't know how you can't just admit it.

It's also hilarious and sad that you can't just admit your first post in the thread was really stupid. You literally denied this rioting - assaulting people and animals - being any shameful.

Madness

You know the saying two wrongs don't equal a right. You're not achieving anything by waving Mexican flags and lighting fires and throwing rocks at police horses and hurting them and smashing windows. All you're doing is emboldening the very people Trump appeals to. This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Mizerman

Nobody's saying simply protesting is as bad as voting for Trump. Nobody (here) is saying the "both sides are wrong" for simply protesting or having the "Fuck Donald Trump" attitude. Nobody's interested in trying to change your mind about that attitude. But in this specific instance both sides are terrible. I don't know how you can't just admit it.

It's also hilarious and sad that you can't just admit your first post in the thread was really stupid. You literally denied this rioting - assaulting people and animals - being any shameful.

*Sighs*

Just because I posted "No. Those that support Trump and his ways are shameful", meant that I approved at everything the protesters did. As if I implied in any manner that I supported their actions aside from having the "Fuck Trump" chants. I don't. Not at all. The only thing I admit to not doing is the failure to elaborate in my first post. So I'll take an L on that front.

Assaulting people and animals while protesting is NOT okay.

DiscoJer

I've never understood why police use horses for riots.

Either they are going to get hurt, or someone is going to get hurt by the horse. They are big, powerful animals and panic easily. I realize police horses are probably trained really well, but they are still herd animals and it still seems like it's asking for trouble

Going to agree with it being an anarchist thing. If it was genuine protesters, then the harming of horses and property would have happened many hours before.

If there's even a 1% chance that Trump can use this to spin himself as a victim and convince gullible swing voters to vote for him because of this then it's not worth doing. He is already the most disliked nominee to ever be nominated, let's keep it that way.

*Sighs*

Just because I posted "No. Those that support Trump and his ways are shameful", meant that I approved at everything the protesters did. As if I implied in any manner that I supported their actions aside from having the "Fuck Trump" chants. I don't. Not at all. The only thing I admit to not doing is the failure to elaborate in my first post. So I'll take an L on that front.

Assaulting people and animals while protesting is NOT okay.

When someone called the protest shameful you said "no." It is shameful. And that does imply you think it's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom