• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Hidden Gems: the sequel

The first Hidden Gems thread was started in 2013, and quite a few games listed throughout its pages aren't available, have some other issues, or are just old. So I thought a new thread highlighting more recent gems should be in order

===

RYB - $0.99 (Featured at PAX Megabooth, and listed as one of the best games of PAX East 2016 by Game Informer)
RYB is a logic puzzle game full of beautiful, minimalist puzzles. Each level has a logical, unique solution. Can you find it?
Standardized grids and complicated rulesets are exchanged for beautiful, minimalist puzzles where you discover the rules.
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

Galaxy Dwellers - $3.99
Galaxy Dwellers is a combination of unit-crafting game and real-time TD. Discover dozens of amazing soldiers, prepare your own strategy and defeat all enemies!
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

Unmatch - $2.99
Unmatch is a puzzle game about not matching. Separate similarly colored hexagons to complete puzzles, and reveal the potential patterns that chaos can provide. Open your mind to the power of diversity and a new understanding that similarity is not the only way to organize. Stop matching, UNMATCH!
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-16%20at%207.43.52%20PM.png
Screen%20Shot%202016-01-16%20at%207.44.10%20PM.png

Verreciel - $2.99
Verreciel is a virtual space exploration project in which you must learn to use your Glass Ship's consoles, route them into one-another, and navigate the surrounding universes aboard this fragile habitat.
screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

Mekorama - Free w/ PWYW donation
Help a tiny robot stumble home through 50 puzzling mechanical dioramas.
screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

Blackbar & Grayout - $2.99 / $2.99
Blackbar is a text game: a sci-fi story of a dystopian future told through the medium of word puzzles. Reminiscent of text adventures and interactive fiction, it has a unique mechanic centered around the concept of censorship. Censorship is frustrating, but the human spirit can beat that frustration by turning it into a game.
---
In Grayout, you play Alaine, a rebellious resident of the totalitarian community called The Neighborhood, who wakes up in a hospital research lab following an accident… or so she is told. The game is a series of conversations with hospital staff, made challenging by Alaine’s post-traumatic aphasia—a disorder that affects one’s ability to process language.
screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

Redcon - Free ($2.99, $4.99, or $5.99 premium unlock)
Set in the dystopian future in which the First World War never ended, humanity knows only war and bombardment.
You are a Strike Commander, tasked by Fuhrer of the Empire State to spearhead an artillery offensive against Traitor General Kranz. You might be the one to end all wars.
Customize and manage your battle fortress. Grow and upgrade your arsenal of weapons and utility facilities, then place them in different slots of your fortress layout.
s3.png
s6.png

Ortus Regni - Free
Ortus Regni is a unique closed-deck, deck-design strategy card game. Players take the role of great Earls vying to control what will become England. Ortus Regni was inspired not only by Anglo-Saxon history, but also by the art of illuminated medieval manuscripts.
screen480x480.jpeg
screen480x480.jpeg

Barrier X - Free ($1.99 to remove ads)
Super fast avoid ’em up arcade!
Play now and challenge your reflexes! Feel the beat! Push the limits!
FK8hIpP.gif
screen640x640.jpeg

What's Inside The Box? - Free ($1.99 to remove ads)
What's inside the box? A lot of puzzles!
Can you solve all 100?
screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

Blackbar and Grayout sound interesting. I'll probably pick up Blackbar on Android. Shame Grayout is iOS only.
Yeah, I started a thread about those two a few weeks ago. They're excellent
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1216141
Both games tell engaging stories that explore their world through interesting lenses. Blackbar's restrictive perspective of letters and official mandates from the government hauntingly shift from everyday small talk between friends to uneasy fear, all presented through taut well-crafted prose.

Grayout's narrative is more intimate and personal, but expands on the merging of gameplay and text in a more clever, interesting execution. Understanding what you want to say, but puzzling out the correct terms from screen's word clouds mirrors Alaine's own struggle with her impaired communication, brilliantly placing the player in the protagonist's shoes through mechanics alone.

Tenrius

Anyway, the main thing that drove me to start a new thread was RYB. Came out in February, but I had seen almost nothing about the game. Which is a shame, since I was reading about it today and some user impressions and Tweets compared it to Hexcells in terms of quality and The Witness in terms of teaching mechanics

It's really really good. It's an abstract Minesweeper-style puzzler where all the clues are told through symbols, shapes, and colors, which allows for unusual level designs that Hexcells and similar games never could have. Understanding the mechanics by experimenting is part of the game's charm

The Light Inside Us - $2.99
The Light Inside Us is an abstract action/strategy game set in an isometric world where light is sentient. You control a body made up of small particles which are the children of light, and you must guide them through a strange and tough world to reunite them with their mother.
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

The Eighth Continent - Free
The Eighth Continent is an interactive novel in which you are the story's hero!
In a world devastated by a cataclysmic super-eruption, you must search for your lost family. Who should you trust? What dangers await you in the volcanic wasteland?
Scavenge, fight, hack, and trade your way through a ruined world.
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

Flewn - $1.99
Flewn immerses you in the surreal journey of an old whale walking on stilts through a desert in search of a lost ocean.
Experience this unique story by scrolling through beautifully illustrated scenes complemented by original music, animation and rhyming couplets.
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

Vectradius - $0.99
Vectradius is a fast paced, tongue-in-cheek, circle based shooter! Tilt to swing your Vectradian ship around the edge of the circle while blasting Vectovillians back to the 1980’s! Avoid your enemies as they cross the edge of the circle, while using bombs and lasers to get through goals, increase score multipliers, and get powerups
screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

Fold+ - $1.99
Cleverly fold, expand, rotate and bring colored blocks together until only one block of each color remains. Fold+ is a minimalist, brain-teasing puzzle which 160 levels will keep you hooked for hours.
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

The Swords - $2.99
The Swords is an action game of ancient martial arts. It tells the story of a sword master's life and his deep immersion in the art of swords. Amidst the ink wash painting is the light and shade of swords, which embodies the fighting and pursuit of a sword master.
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

Prison Run & Gun - $1.99
Prison Run and Gun is a retro puzzle platformer with the modern gameplay and mechanics.
The recent events in a state prison, involving Jake and the others, was a perfect moment for some prisoners to escape - you are one of them.
Use your skills and the guns to break through 30 sections standing between you and the freedom
screen640x640.jpeg
screen640x640.jpeg

Goli

Recently got an iPhone 6S so I've been getting back on mobile gaming, too bad a lot of those on the other thread are delisted... I don't get why the ones that do not require online checks are delisted at all, but oh well.

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to redownload a game I once played, but I can't find it, I think it may have been listed but I'm not 100% sure. I remember visually it looked like an NES MegaMan game, while the gameplay involved cards?

Recently got an iPhone 6S so I've been getting back on mobile gaming, too bad a lot of those on the other thread are delisted... I don't get why the ones that do not require online checks are delisted at all, but oh well.

Speaking of which, I've been meaning to redownload a game I once played, but I can't find it, I think it may have been listed but I'm not 100% sure. I remember visually it looked like an NES MegaMan game, while the gameplay involved cards?
Perhaps Calculords?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/calculords/id777125004

takoyaki

the original Shibuya was a rhythm puzzle game with a terrific soundtrack that played a bit like Lumines, but optimized for one-handed touch controls. It's still one of my favorite iOS games.

Sadly, it looks like that version was de-listed, but there's a new version of the game called "Shibuya Grandmaster" ($1.99, with in-app purchases)

edit: I just downloaded and played Shibuya Grandmaster. the gameplay is still as good as ever, but the new soundtrack is a lot more generic compared to the original game.

I find the iOS app store pretty intriguing because of the sheer amount of stuff that has been put on there. I wonder how many potentially great games people have missed due to lack of exposure? Sad to think of worthwhile games being delisted or not working on newer versions of iOS as well.

I don't think I have anything to add that isn't really old or already mentioned in the old thread unfortunately. Subscribing to this thread though.

I find the iOS app store pretty intriguing because of the sheer amount of stuff that has been put on there. I wonder how many potentially great games people have missed due to lack of exposure? Sad to think of worthwhile games being delisted or not working on newer versions of iOS as well.

I don't think I have anything to add that isn't really old or already mentioned in the old thread unfortunately. Subscribing to this thread though.

People keep bringing this up but it happens so rarely and only happened to like 2-3 JP games recently that it is mostly a non issue that people who hate mobile gaming cling to.

About exposure, yea I agree completely. It is why threads like this exist and why one of my goto websites is Touch Arcade.

Goli

It WAS Calculords, thanks!

RE: Delisting: A lot of very good Japanese games have been delisted, like the Katamari games that actually play like Katamari, or ChuChu Rocket, a bunch of Sega MD ports... I actually have a lot of those but it sucks that you can't get them now. Some notable 'big budget' games like Bloodmasque have been delisted too, or Demons' Score, for example.

Also, I'd like to contribute with this little shooter:
https://itunes.apple.com/cl/app/qun-ma-xiankara-laita-shao-nu/id797896930?l=en&mt=8

Very fun, very cute bullet hellish shooter
screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg

People keep bringing this up but it happens so rarely and only happened to like 2-3 JP games recently that it is mostly a non issue that people who hate mobile gaming cling to.

About exposure, yea I agree completely. It is why threads like this exist and why one of my goto websites is Touch Arcade.

Not saying it's a widespread problem necessarily but the fact that it hapens at all is kind of upsetting. I don't think Frogatto is available now (although it looks like they might release a new version at some point) and like you said there are a fair few Japanese games on my purchased list that don't have a store page any more. I think preserving all games should be important. I guess as long as at least one person already has it then there is hope.

I should probably contribute anyway, here's something from way back when I was deep into iOS stuff:

PixelSlime:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixelslime/id432510312?mt=8

screen320x480.jpeg

screen320x480.jpeg

Fun little grid-based RPG split into short levels. Very simple but quite enjoyable.

takoyaki

not sure if this qualifies as a hidden gem, but I had no idea there was an iOS version of Human Resource Machine ($4.99). It's the latest game by Tomorrow Corporation (World of Goo , Little Inferno). Also available on Steam (9,99 $) and WiiU.

Also, I'd like to contribute with this little shooter:
https://itunes.apple.com/cl/app/qun-ma-xiankara-laita-shao-nu/id797896930?l=en&mt=8

Very fun, very cute bullet hellish shooter

I downloaded it but the game keeps crashing on the start screen for me (iPhone SE, most recent iOS version). Do you know if they cut support at some point?

Reflow - Free
Reflow is a new way to play with your iDevice and the world! Using the realtime camera image, the game abstracts your environment into a black and white level. Let virtual fluids flow on everything that meets your cameras eye. Use whatever you like - friends, objects, pets, strangers - to solve the given challenges in the most unique way. Play wherever you want - parties, bars, parks, schools, the office - do it alone or collaboratively with friends and colleges.
screen480x480.jpeg
screen480x480.jpeg

I Love Fur - Free
You have the rare opportunity to pet furs of unimaginably exotic beings, some of which are smarter than the entire sum of humanity.
Every being has unique requirements and demands, but most are quite understanding and will let you play with their fur even if they don't particularly enjoy it. IF you want to gain the attention of more of them, pet them right.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

All But Me - Free
You are all by yourself, in the middle of a vacuum, sprinkled with the occasional planet, asteroid, sun.
You can meditate while riding the gravitational swings of planets, or you can try to upgrade your ship with a modest repertoire of tools.
Using the tail of your ship, you can create hypnotic dances around planets and their gravitational pull.
screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg

Open Sorcery - $2.99
"Open Sorcery" is a game about technology, magic and becoming a person.
It follows the development of BEL/S [Version 5.6]. BEL/S is an Elemental Firewall: a creature of intertwined magic and code.
It is text-based and uses the revolutionary Twine engine. There are 90,000 words of text, five animated sequences, and eight possible endings.
ojXfWyR.png
screen696x696.jpeg

Shoutout to Simogo's games, all of which are rather excellent and some of which remind me a lot of Nintendo's game design principles. Which makes a lot of sense when you look at the small developer's background.

Eurogamer piece said:
"I didn't feel a great need to create games before the DS," explains Flesser. "It felt so fresh! Suddenly there were lots of possibilities to create your own rules about interaction. And lots of games showed the way too, with new and fun ways to play: Ouendan, Pac Pix, Yoshi's Touch & Go, Another Code..."

Eurogamer said:
"We really enjoy 'inventing' new controls," says Flesser. "How a game feels in your hands, is something we consider very important.

"A big part of what we do is trying to make unique things, and the way you interact with a game is the most immediate 'feel' of it for the player. So that's why we strive to make that interaction new. It's very refreshing starting with a totally clean slate, every time."

This is evident even in Simogo's early games. Kosmo Spin's embroidered world whirls with a swipe, Bumpy Road's cobbled streets undulate at your fingertips, and Beat Sneak Bandit's titular cat burglar slips past guards with a rhythmic tap. The studio's ability to tease inventive controls from capacitive glass is exhilarating.

These are all worth playing:

Kosmo Spin
Bumpy Road
Beat Sneak Bandit
Year Walk (also available in different bespoke versions for PC and Wii U)
DEVICE 6
The Sailor's Dream
SPL-T

Simogo put a huge emphasis on making touch-driven interfaces feel playful and tactile.

TAMEUCHI ($0.99 or £0.79)
https://appsto.re/gb/nZ1HF.i

by 2dgames.jp

One button bullet hell survive-avoid-survive game, with smart bomb. Colouring book Robotron.

Graphics are reminiscent of classic PlayStation game Rakugaki Showtime.

Here's another review I've found:
http://the-app-shack.com/2012/07/tameuchi-2dgames-jp-0-99/

Screens:

TAMEUCHI LITE (free)
https://appsto.re/gb/ppLjG.i
Has less modes and stuff.

Both are still at iPhone 4 screen size, I've asked the developer as nicely as I could if they could update the game for me screen sizes.

Makonero

Just picked up Blackbar because of this thread. Might get Grayout later. I love interactive stories and word puzzles! I can recommend The Eighth Continent (it helps that it's free!) because I really enjoyed the card battles and the story it told. I hope a sequel comes soon (and I'd be willing to pay haha).

I don't have anything to add, just wanted to express my thanks, I've been looking around for games to dick around on my commute and I've liked everything from this thread I've tried so far.

It's kind of crazy to me iOS games didn't take off more. There was a time when I thought for sure more big publishers would be publishing more traditional games. It's kind of insane to me that I can't get a full Civ game on my iPad, or a SimCity game that's not a F2P cash grab. Hell, I've been wanting to get into a new tower defense game and just spent 15 minutes looking around for one and people are still just recommending Kingdom Rush and Fieldrunners and other games I played years ago.

Anyway, thanks again OP and others who have posted games. It seems hard to find ways to separate the wheat from the chaff in the App Store.

I don't have anything to add, just wanted to express my thanks, I've been looking around for games to dick around on my commute and I've liked everything from this thread I've tried so far.

It's kind of crazy to me iOS games didn't take off more. There was a time when I thought for sure more big publishers would be publishing more traditional games. It's kind of insane to me that I can't get a full Civ game on my iPad, or a SimCity game that's not a F2P cash grab. Hell, I've been wanting to get into a new tower defense game and just spent 15 minutes looking around for one and people are still just recommending Kingdom Rush and Fieldrunners and other games I played years ago.
It was the case when I asked last year but that recently released Project Highrise might be coming to iPad. Total War: Rome is coming later this year, and Paradox has expressed interest in bringing Crusader Kings and Europa to mobile

As for good recent TD games, Dungeon Warfare is the best one I've played in a while
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dungeon-warfare/id1136678843?mt=8

Crystal Siege is also really good
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crystal-siege/id521069210?mt=8

Galactic Dwellers (mentioned in the thread) is a lot of fun and Redcon (also mentioned) has an TD vibe to it (plus some FTL-style management) that is really enjoyable

If you ever have questions about iOS games, come by the monthly threads. We know all the latest releases
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1272303

Top Bottom