• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Launch titles for the NX: Logical Predictions and Dream Predictions

bman94

What titles do you foresee Nintendo having with the NX. We'll break it down to two categories: Games that make logical sense for being released titles and titles you that you want to launch with the console in your dreams. For the sake of argument and discussions, let's allow the idea of rumors stated for the NX software wise.

So Logical Predictions:
Super Smash Bros. for NX - Include all characters, stages and modes from both the 3DS and Wii U versions all in one nice package. Maybe add some characters that wasn't possible before like Ice Climbers

Hyrule Warriors Ultimate - The definitive release of the title, include all the content from Legends and retrofit the Wii U content to a unified gameplay system.

Retro's New Project - Whatever this is totally in the air but It's more than likely than Retro's newest game will be here for the launch since their last project was completed in early 2014.

New Mario - This is a given aswell, the question is will it be a 3D mario title or 2D Mario title

Pikmin 4 - We haven't had any word on this title since it was mentioned in 2015 so at this point it may have moved development to the NX

Dream Predictions:
Melee HD - Let Nintendo give us the best of both worlds. The Melee scene is still pretty heavy and as we move forward it's going to be harder and harder to maintain equipment for tournament use (Gamecube's, copies of Melee, SD Tv's) and used copies of Melee still flirt around $50-$60. Nintendo could capitalize on this by simply up-rezing the game, add gamecube adapter support, manufacture some more smash gamecube controllers and leave the gameplay completely as it is.

Animal Crossing - While I'm not a fan of the series it's very apparent that Animal Crossing is one of Nintendo's heavy hitters. The team just finished Splatoon last year so it maybe possible that we get a new one in 2017 but the series saw great success on the 3DS and Nintendo may do like Fire Emblem, and keep the series on portable consoles since it sell better there.

Neoxon

• Not sure about Melee HD. I mean yeah, Nintendo's finally acknowledging the game. But having Melee HD out there could be to Smash 4's detriment as far as the competitive scene goes. Plus, odds are the FGC will stick with the GameCube version since they're used to no input lag compared to modern monitors' 9-10ms of delay.
  • Concerning the Smash 4 port, I still highly doubt that we'll get any new characters beyond maybe the Ice Climbers. This feeling is more so since the last patch was only to fix Bayonetta.
  • You also forgot the Super Mario Maker & Splatoon ports, given the rumors from Emily Rogers.

Kouichi

An amiibo game in the same vein as Disney Infinity or Skylanders is both a logical and dream prediction for me.

TheMoon

Pikmin 4 - We haven't had any word on this title since it was mentioned in 2015 so at this point it may have moved development to the NX

No platform was ever mentioned in relation to Pikmin 4. No reason to think it was ever anything other than an NX project.

DJIzana

Logical predictions

Zelda NX - *slightly* prettier than Wii U, (maybe more foliage / slightly better textures)

Smash Bros 4 for NX - (maybe more characters or just combine 3ds stages / wii u stages)

New Mario (hopefully 3D)

Luigi's Mansion 3

Pikmin 4

Dream predictions

Zelda NX look way better than Wii U version

Smash Bros 4 with new characters / new stages

Mother 3 remake for NX or Mother 4

The next Xenoblade

NX version of Fire Emblem... make it open world like Zelda / Xenoblade with tactical combat... would be different yet awesome.

some other new JRPG... Chrono Break, FF6 Remake, Mario RPG 2...a new Secret of Mana from Square maybe or Granblue Fantasy from Cygames?

Whatever Retro is working on.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
No platform was ever mentioned in relation to Pikmin 4. No reason to think it was ever anything other than an NX project.
The reason was the time. I never thought about platforms myself, but suuuuuuuuurely you can understand why someone might think it would hit Wii U.

yami4ct

I could see Pikmin 4 hitting launch, since we know it's been a thing for a while.

(Possibly enhanced) ports of Splatoon, Smash and Mario Maker would all make sense for launch and their value would diminish tremendously if they waited much longer.

Zelda combined with those other 4 would make a decent first party lineup. Maybe a new 2D Mario as that might be easier to get out decently quickly. Have absolutely zero clue about the 3rd party stuff. Depends on what the NX ends up being. If it's a multi form factor, same software thing like has been speculated, an enhanced port of the next Monster Hunter would make a ton of sense as well.

Some ports.

Hopefully DK tropical Freeze or Splatoon. Whatever needs sales or certain hits even if they are ports themselves.

My unrealistic (hope) prediction is a FE9/10 remake.

L Thammy

Dream Predictions
Gotcha Force 2 - You catch new borgs and assemble teams on the NX handheld, then fight it out on the console. Or vice versa.

Illusion of Gaia HD - With an all new translation (except the roast Hamlet line) and 3D graphics.

Jump Superstars 3 - With Clash of Ninja graphics, new manga series, and balance patches incoming.

Battle Clash 3 - I don't even know.

Somewhat Realistic Predictions

Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros
Animal Crossing
Hyrule Warriors 2
Zelda U
Smash Bros 4 NX (port with minimal new features)

yami4ct

Dream Predictions
Gotcha Force 2 - You catch new borgs and assemble teams on the NX handheld, then fight it out on the console. Or vice versa.

Illusion of Gaia HD - With an all new translation (except the roast Hamlet line) and 3D graphics.

Jump Superstars 3 - With Clash of Ninja graphics, new manga series, and balance patches incoming.

Battle Clash 3 - I don't even know.

Somewhat Realistic Predictions

Mario Kart
New Super Mario Bros
Animal Crossing
Hyrule Warriors 2
Zelda U
Smash Bros 4 NX (port with minimal new features)

I don't see a new Mario Kart at launch unless it's just a port of MK8. That'll hit a year or two into the console's life IMO. Animal Crossing could go either way. Would make sense to launch it not too long after the new mobile game.

bman94

• Not sure about Melee HD. I mean yeah, Nintendo's finally acknowledging the game. But having Melee HD out there could be to Smash 4's detriment as far as the competitive scene goes. Plus, odds are the FGC will stick with the GameCube version since they're used to no input lag compared to modern monitors' 9-10ms of delay.
  • Concerning the Smash 4 port, I still highly doubt that we'll get any new characters beyond maybe the Ice Climbers. This feeling is more so since the last patch was only to fix Bayonetta.
  • You also forgot the Super Mario Maker & Splatoon ports, given the rumors from Emily Rogers.

I believe that both can co-exist in the competitive scene since there are huge differences in roosters, strategies and playstyle from the two games.

Regarding the Super Mario Maker & Splatoon ports, me personally, I don't know how Super Mario Maker is going to work without the gamepad and for Splatoon to work I feel you would need a gyro controller at the least bit with gamepad being most preferred.

When it was mentioned it was stated that it was "very close to completion" in terms of development. At that time we knew absolutely nothing about NX official or rumor wise so it was just assumed it was gonna come to the Wii U if it was close to completition.

Prediction: We'll need to wait 6 months and we'll know, and nothing in this thread is going to be super close to right.

They have been silent for so many years on their next plans...they will either have a whiz bang beginning to their console like they've never had before, or they will fade into console irrelevance and make a boat load of money via mobile.

Schnozberry

Safe-ish Picks:

Zelda UNX
Smash Bros 4 NX
Pikmin 4
New Mario

Dream Picks

New Rare IP
Animal Crossing NX
Punch Out
Luigi's Mansion 3

Zero83

Bandai Namco has supported Nintendo well lately, and I expect that to continue, maybe with Tekken 7?
I expect DQ X and XI from Square Enix, and maybe FFXV or VII as well?
That Sonic anniversary game will be on NX too, pretty sure of that.
Platinum and Koei Tecmo will be on board as well, maybe Fatal Frame VI is on its way? If the future handheld will have a shared library with the home console, then we'll be able to play Monster Hunter games on the TV, I think.

Western third parties? Hard to say. Hopefully that Beyond Good & Evil 2 rumour is true, but Nintendo needs a lot more than that.

A new 3D Mario will probably be released in 2017. Pikmin 4 is coming and I think its time for another Animal Crossing soon. Retro should have a game ready for 2017. I also think there will be a new F-Zero, but that's probably far off.

Dream project? A Virtual Console streaming service structured around an explorable Nintendo Land-like hub, which includes lots of fan service, trivia and rewards for playing, like Nintendo Land had.

yami4ct

Prediction: We'll need to wait 6 months and we'll know, and nothing in this thread is going to be super close to right.

They have been silent for so many years on their next plans...they will either have a whiz bang beginning to their console like they've never had before, or they will fade into console irrelevance and make a boat load of money via mobile.

Launch lineups very rarely determine a console's long term potential. Instead of focusing on hitting a bunch of stuff at once, they need to find a way to streamline their processes and put out way more good games than we usually get in a gen. It needs good long term support, not everything just dumped at launch and a similar wait after that.

New Mario is probably an optimistic choice. It could totally happen, as EAD Tokyo went 3 years between Galaxy, Galaxy 2, and 3D World - and in 3D World's case they snuck in a 3DS game as well - but I don't see it launching alongside a console in March. They'll release it in the holiday to coincide with the console's first major post-launch push. And I think Retro's game will accompany it, unless it gets pushed to 2017.

As for launch - despite the concern over "2017" as opposed to NX's March 2017, I think Zelda makes launch. Beyond that, I'm not sure. Weren't Monster meant to be making a racing game? I could see whatever that ends up being making launch.

I think any ports, with the exception of Smash Bros., get saved to fill in the months leading up to holiday 2017.

Neoxon

To answer the OP's question for the launch window...

Logical Predictions
  • Smash 4 port (basically the Wii U version with all of the DLC, nothing more)
  • Zelda U port
  • Splatoon port
  • Super Mario Maker port
  • Pikmin 4
  • New 3D Mario
  • Animal Crossing
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Retro's New IP
Dream Predictions
  • Smash 4 port w/ new characters
  • Mario Kart 9
  • Rhythm Heaven
  • Mother/Earthbound Collection
  • The Wonderful 102
  • Bayonetta 3
  • F-Zero
  • Metroid

Evershade

Logical:
  • Smash Bros for WiiU port
  • Zelda WiiU port
  • New IP from Retro
  • Game that demostrates NX's unique feature
  • New 3D Mario in launch window
  • + Ports of Third Part 2016 games

Dream:
  • All the above
  • Beyond Good and Evil 2
  • Metroid Prime 4

Actual guesses

March 2017
New IP homegrown for NX
The Legend of Zelda
+ 1 other smaller game
+ 1 big third-party exclusive (let's be real, it'll be Monster Hunter)
Small chunk of Wii U Virtual Console lineup

Spring 2017
Super Smash Bros. for NX
Luigi's Mansion 3
+ 2 other smaller games
+ some third-party games
Another chunk of Wii U Virtual Console games

Summer 2017
Splatoon
Pikmin 4
+ 1 other smaller game
+ some third-party games

Fall 2017
Another new IP for NX
Animal Crossing (to coincide with the mobile game)
Super Mario Maker (if it's actually destined to release)
+ 1 other smaller game
+ some third-party games

Holiday 2017
3D Mario
Mario Kart ∞ (based on port of Mario Kart 8, but labeled as a new Mario Kart)
+ some big third-party holiday games
Another chunk of Wii U Virtual Console games, including some games that we were angrily awaiting

Somewhere in there they really need to make sure they have 1-2 really good sports titles, too.

Weng

Let's assume the NX console and the handheld (MH?) will share their software library.

Launch titles (let's be generous and say software releasing from march up until christmas 2017)

Ports:

Zelda
Smash 3DS/Wii U complete, plus some additional new content.
(Splatoon)
(Super Mario Maker)

New games:
3D Mario
Mario Kart 9
Animal Crossing
Pikmin 4
New game from Retro Studios
(Nintendo Land 2 or something else to showcase the platform's gimmicks/features)

Edit:
Forgot the dream part:
Mario Kart 9 brings back battle arenas
Retro's game is a new 1st person Metroid (with optional wii remote+ & nunchuk controls)
New F-Zero, difficulty between X and GX, 60fps, 30 players online with two modes: normal or death race, 20 new tracks, 12 old tracks plus random cup like in X.
New Action game from Platinum games: Bayonetta 3, Wonderful 102, new IP or a revival of an old Nintendo IP
True Chibi-Robo! sequel
Beyond Good & Evil 2

I feel like "all the 3ds stages included in HD for smash NX" belongs in the dream prediction category. I'm only expecting to get a small selection of them.

Splatoon NX:
Realistically Expect:
Straight port of splatoon with all the first game's content on-disc and a new parade of DLC post-launch. Releasing "launch window," rather than day-and-date.
In my dreams:
New multiplayer maps and game modes on-disc. Expanded campaign. More local multi options. Post-launch support again. Day 1 launch title.

Super Amiibo Land
Could realistically exist:
A board game like mario party or AC:AF supporting a small range of amiibo, with everything good locked behind new releases
In my dreams:
3d platformer/action-adventure game. support for most existing amiibo in some way.

Logical

- The New Zelda game, obviously

- A remastered port of Smash 4

- A remastered port of Super Mario Maker or Splatoon

- Another New Super Mario Bros or a 3D Mario game

- Whatever Retro is working on

- Another new game in one of their bigger IPs (Animal Crossing, Pokemon, etc)

Wishful

- 3D Kirby game
Pls Nintendo

- New F-Zero with 60 player online races

- Nintendo bought the rights to Viewtiful Joe from Capcom and will release Viewtiful Joe 3, directed by Kamiya

There was a thread awhile back keeping track of Nintendo's various dev teams and speculating on them. Going by wikipedia here:

1-up Studio: no idea probably support on a handheld game

Monolith Soft: original ip for nx* taken back they are working on Xenoblade still thanks to DJIzana

Nd cube: mario party nx at launch

Retro new ip launch title

Next Level: luigi's mansion 3

EAD1 Mario game

EAD2 Splatoon not sure on which ead did this and its 5 am

EAD3 Zelda

EAD4 pikmin 4

EAD5 original ip?

Camelot: mario strikers nx

Intelligent systems: fire emblem

There are more not listed here.

Note: made this list more so others could quickly glance at Nintendo's current studios

For launch:

Realistic:
Super Mario Maker
Splatoon
Tomodachi Life
Wario Ware?

Optimistic:
Zelda
Hyrule Warriors
Pikmin

Dream
Eh, what the hell, Wave Race.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I feel like this thread would make a little more sense after the reveal. It's kinda hard to make realistic predictions without really knowing what it is.

NX launches with many games, but soft launched is a secretive malware game on the oculus and steam vr stores, that takes over your headsets and subject you to Mario's Brainwashing Camp and all will belong to Nintendo.

Why is everybody talking about Luigi's Mansion 3? And even being logical? What have I missed?

I was about to ask the same thing. It took me awhile to really enjoy Dark Moon but I ended up liking it as it's own thing. I'd greatly prefer a new Luigi's Mansion to a new Mario Strikers.

DJIzana

There was a thread awhile back keeping track of Nintendo's various dev teams and speculating on them. Going by wikipedia here:

1-up Studio: no idea probably support on a handheld game

Monolith Soft: original ip for nx

Nd cube: mario party nx at launch

Retro new ip launch title

Next Level: luigi's mansion 3

EAD1 Mario game

EAD2 Splatoon not sure on which ead did this and its 5 am

EAD3 Zelda

EAD4 pikmin 4

EAD5 original ip?

Camelot: mario strikers nx

Intelligent systems: fire emblem

There are more not listed here.

I don't think you'll see them do anything new until the story of Xenoblade X is completed. I know they have two studios but I still don't see that happening.

SeanTSC

Logical:

Zelda NX
Smash Port
Mario Maker Port
Splatoon Port

Dream:

A Mario 64/Sunshine style 3D Mario
2D Metroid that doesn't suck
New Paper Mario RPG
A proper Fire Emblem console game

Super Crazy Impossible Pipe Dream:

New Xenoblade

bman94

I feel like this thread would make a little more sense after the reveal. It's kinda hard to make realistic predictions without really knowing what it is.

Nintendo is typically predictable (in terms of software) and since it's public knowledge of their development teams and the games that they put out we could look towards their release schedules and come up with some logical conclusions.

Jackano

Logic

- Zelda UNX
- 3D Mario
- Splatoon 1.5
- A party game of some sort, Wario Ware or Nintendo Land 2

I believe Smash for NX will be a bit later, and Retro's new game during first holiday season (november 2017).

Dream
Add one or two of the following during the launch window (Q2 2017 if no further delay):

- Hyrule Warriors Extreme Legends
- XCX 1.5
- New Metroid

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Logical:

- Splatoon
- Smash 4
- Zelda
- A Mario platformer
- A Wii Sports/ Nintendoland like effort to show off the inevitable gimmick

Cream dream: