• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Worst game-breaking bug you've personally experienced?

Ohh yeah, Star Ocean 2 on PSX. Only had it happen twice, but during battles in a snowy area my PSX just froze up. It was only in that area tho - forced me to restart both times.

I saved at the wrong time in a Ratchet and Clank game and couldn't proceed. Gave up and never played any other of them as a result. I think it's the first PS3 one.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
In Batman: Arkham Origins, one of the 'sidequests' had you face off against Deadshot in a Bank. I do not remember the specifics of the encounter, but I believe you were supposed to knock his health down bit by bit in phases. I remember just stunlocking him and knocking him out easily without the need for moving away though, and I think this triggered the game to go all glitchy on me, not letting me finish the quest despite having knocked out all enemies and Deadshot himself. There was no way to fix this if you did not have an earlier save. This was apparently also a fairly common glitch and to my knowledge it was never fixed, with the developer instead moving on to making DLC.

Caronte

La noir, got to a point where the textures on the road I needed to go down wouldn't load and then the game would crash. Kept loading my save file and trying again, trying different routes etc. But it would crash every time so I just quite the game and never finished it even though I was probably 4/5 into it.

Similarly to this, there was a case (I think it involved a prostitute) where it felt like the game stopped loading stuff in the middle of a mandatory conversation (so it could never end). I couldn't do anything even though the game was still running (people were walking on the street, etc).

I tried several things but I could never fix it.

Arkham Origins on 360.

Besides all the game save bugs where it would get corrupted.. I said screw it and try to play in one sitting. Then I hit a part where I had to jump into a vent to progress the story and Batman would jump but not pull himself in the vent

Said fuck it and traded. Was kinda sad I never got to finish it

specdot

The Firefly bug on the hand cannon The Vanity from Destiny. It still hasn't been patched.
For those that don't know Firefly is a perk on you can get on a weapon that causes your enemy to explode if you land a precision shot. The game has crashed on me a few times during single player, thank goodness it hasn't happened to me during PvP.

Max Payne 3 PC.

Right before the point where you get into
Commando Sombra's HQ,
I encountered a bug that prevents you from saving past said point.

I tried reinstalling, contacting Steam forums, but to no avail. I had to watch the rest of the game on Youtube.

kAmui-

I've been pretty lucky that I haven't really ran into game breaking bugs. At least that I can recall. Only minor thing I can think of is in Arkham Origins one of the Riddler towers was bugged so I could do that. But that wasn't really game breaking, just meant that I couldn't do all the towers.

Chastten

Banned
Never really lost anything due to a bug as far as I can remember, but recently had two issues.

Xenoblade Chronicles X suddenly stopped loading, which gave me a pretty big scare. Turning the Wii U to English solved the issue, but still, this isn't something I expected from a big budget Nintendo title.

Similarly, Bravely Second kept crashing on me on the final boss. Again, turning the 3DS to English solved this. Weird.

Quick

Banned
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare on PS3 (digital copy).

The last patch for it basically breaks the game - character skins get swapped, and as far as my experience goes, it won't let me advance past the farm. No further patches have been released to fix this as far as I know.

GTA: SA there was a mission where you had to back a pick up truck to a building to break someone's fall. He would always fall immediately before I had a chance to get there, never finished the game.

corPain

Neo Member
Digimon World (PAL) for PS1
That Agumon that blocked the entrance of Ogremon's Fortress has driving me crazy when I was younger.

Kadin

Another famous one was the corrupt save files in PSO1+2 on the Gamecube. Countless people lost hundreds of hours of playtime as a result.
I think I might have experienced this actually back then now that I read this. What caused the corruption because I don't remember if I was in fact affected by it or not. I had so many characters across multiple memory cards, it's hard to remember exactly if this happened.

DOOM crashed on the last boss and corrupted my save.
Oh crap. I'll probably get there later today, what do I need to avoid or is this just pure bad luck??

Wow, I never heard about Doom having corrupted saves.

In any case, you can always just idclev## to skip to any level you want (## means that the first number is episode, second number mission)

Oh this was DOOM 2016. I'm sure the original is a lot better in this regard.
Oh crap. I'll probably get there later today, what do I need to avoid or is this just pure bad luck??

No idea. I haven't even started up the game since. And this was on PC btw.

I've been lucky for the most part but I did have one of the copies of Metroid Prime that would constantly lock at elevators. Little me was mad but I ended up trading it in for a new copy and it was all good.

DOA

CoD:MW

Sarge got stuck on the night mission, and since he couldn't get to the position he needed to, the scripted event wasn't triggered. this happened also every time i loaded the save point, so i needed to restart the whole game from the start, so i could get to that part again.

Kadin

I've been lucky for the most part but I did have one of the copies of Metroid Prime that would constantly lock at elevators. Little me was mad but I ended up trading it in for a new copy and it was all good.
I never thought it would be possible for someone to get a copy of a game that had a glitch or bug that other copies didn't. I've always thought that the information is either there or it's not and all copies should be identical coming from wherever the discs are manufactured. But I've read multiple stories of this happening so I guess it actually can happen. Seems so weird to me.

And I'm referring to the same versions of games of course, not a later patched version versus the initial copy, etc.

I played through 95% of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5's campaign. With just two more objectives needing to be completed in order to beat the game, my save file got corrupted randomly, due to the game's glitches.

I consider it beaten, and deleted the fuck out of it.

Not a bug per se, but I managed to save my game basically one frame before the unavoidable death in Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars. Had to download save files from the Internet... would have probably freaked out if I played that game with no access to the Web like in the 90s.

Despera

Banned
My right hand disappearing at one point in A Chair in a Room. Thought it was just another trick to mess with the player until I got to a point where I clealry needed both hands to proceed.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The last game where I encountered a game breaking bug was Bioshock on PC. It was at the point where you create the Lazarus Vector and need to close the entrance to the Langford's laboratory by hitting a switch. Well, the bug was that the switch wouldn't activate at all so the game just wouldn't progress.

I tried reloading the game, going back to an older save, and even reinstalling the game but never managed to sort it out. It was disappointing as I was enjoying the game. I thought about just moving onto Bioshock 2 but haven't got around to it yet.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
After completing my pokedex in Pokemon Yellow and talking to the NPC that offers to print your completion certificate with the gameboy printer, my save was corrupted the next time I tried to open it. Had a friend who said the same thing happened.

In the original Mega Man Battlenetwork, when I got to the battle transition for the final boss, my game froze on a black screen for over a minute, then came back in with the ending cutscene of the boss being defeated. I was robbed of the final battle. No idea what caused this.

In Halo 2 and 3 in the Master Chief Collection, doors sometimes don't open after clearing a room. The only fix is to restart the whole mission. This has happened to me several times through all of my playthroughs.

In Doom and Doom II in the steam version of Doom 3 BFG edition, if you save while on a thin pathway, or standing too close to an edge, when you load, you fall to the bottom of the drop and become stuck in the wall. You can sometimes break out if you're lucky. Cheats are disabled by default in this version so noclip isn't an easy option. Luckily I always keep a backup save.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I tried reloading the game, going back to an older save, and even reinstalling the game but never managed to sort it out. It was disappointing as I was enjoying the game. I thought about just moving onto Bioshock 2 but haven't got around to it yet.

My advice is that you go back and finish Bioshock, then play Bioshock 2 and Infinite after that.

I have a copy of Skies of Arcadia for the Gamecube that soft locks when you fly over the arctic zone to get to the purple weapon dungeon.

Every time, the game just soft locks and you're stuck there hovering, you can't move, you can't pause, it just freezes.

It took me getting an emulator to finally, FINALLY be able to beat the game almost a decade later.

Danneee

Mass Effect 1. Physics broke when I was at the final space tank/buggy bit. Could never finish it as it became unplayable and didn't revert when I reloaded my save.
The save before that was hours before so I just never finished the damn game.

Edit: actually, the same thing happened for me in Half Life 2 on Xbox 1. Couldn't finish some physics puzzle as stuff just floated around in the air.

Most annoying I have come across was a corrupted save on my career mode in FIFA 13 which meant starting from scratch and losing a few seasons worth of progress.

GTA: SA there was a mission where you had to back a pick up truck to a building to break someone's fall. He would always fall immediately before I had a chance to get there, never finished the game.
I remember reading about that bug, I think it was caused by using the riot cheat code and saving after that without deactivating it.

retroman

I was quite close to completing Zombi U and reached an area where an object was supposed to be collected, but unfortunately it was nowhere to be seen. It was impossible to proceed any further without that MacGuffin, so I had to restart the game from the beginning. Very annoying!

Popsickles

In Ratchet and Clank a crack in time all I needed was the my 'blaster runs really really hot' trophy to get platinum, but my save corrupted and I could never be bothered to run through again.

I think Arkham Origins is the first HD game i ever played with a progression stopping bug. It was made worse when WB announced that they were to busy making DLC to fix it.

It wasn't one single glitch, but a series of them that happened on a late game mission in XCOM that caused my most important squad members to die and I subsequently lost the entire playthrough. I never really played the game again and that was just a month or so after it launched. Still a great game, though.

Slythe

Kotor 2 on original Xbox. My character randomly got off of the ship at some ice planet location after a cut scene. I couldn't get back on the ship and the ice palace had no enemies/NPCs and no interact able doors. It came out of nowhere and I stupidly saved immediately after getting off of the ship thinking it was a boss area. Locked my file in that ice palace and never finished the game. 30 hours down the drain.

dottme

In Omega Quintet, I've got a bug. After going in rest mode on the PS4, I cannot return to the game. It was frozen.

Now, I'm always saving my game before going in rest mode. Even for the other games.

ActWan

The classic "stuck in a wall/corner"
So annoying when you have to restart. Bloodborne had this in 2-3 places and it was so goddamn annoying.

The technical masterpiece known as Far Cry 2 decided 75% was enough time to proceed to disable a mission for me that prevented me from completing my second playthrough. So 30 hours gone and on to third playthrough, which I did complete. Grew to really dislike that game

Virdix

Until Dawn, I want to say Chapter 10 in the
Mines
, I was part of like .0x% that had the game stop progression and let Ashley walk through walls and get stuck in the environment

HMD

Little Big Planet 1, I got a glitch that required a complete character wipe when I had already aced/100% most of the levels, had to redo everything and I still can't believe I did that.

In the 90s playing the Mac version of S.C.OUT there was a level me and my dad couldn't beat so we finally called the tip line and they were like "yeah sorry the level is impossible here is the passcode to the next level" It was like level 98 of 101 too...

Top Bottom