• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Happy birthday Splatoon!

Forkball

One year old and still fresh. Splatoon is easily Nintendo's best new IP since Animal Crossing. Like Smash, Mario Kart, and Super Mario Maker, I pop it on every now and then even after so many other games try to grab my attention. Nintendo really nailed it with evergreen titles this gen and hopefully they continue pumping out games they support throughout its lifespan on the NX.

jmizzal

And this is just the first game. I think we are in for a great new franchise in the coming years.

Splatoon 2 is gonna be massive on NX, Nintendo is gonna pack that game like crazy

Big single player, prob co-op campaign
Better multiplayer, more types of characters, I can see it getting a Overwatch kinda feel

Javier

Best game of the generation, and best shooter I ever played.

Totally deserved the success, and like I said in the OT, it's amazing that it charted in Japan every week in the Top 20

Best game of this gen so far. It totally deserves all those sales. I'm looking forward to seeing what Nintendo does with this IP in the future.

aBarreras

Same. The controls never really clicked so I kind of gave up on it.

I should definitely give it more time.

you havent played any first or third person shooter ever? because there isnt really something to "click" on splatoon controls, if you are refering to the gyro controls you can turn them off and aim with the right joystick like any other shooter under the sun

Zalman

One of the most unique games I've played in a while, both mechanically and aesthetically. It's still a blast to play. The single-player campaign is incredibly underrated as well.

AdanVC

One of my favorite games of the last 10 years. I had lot's of doubts and I was kinda skeptical about this game but all my doubts vanished the second I played my first online match during that fire test/beta test thing. This game is the perfect example that Nintendo still got it and is totally capable of create and add some nice twist into a genre that it's been overused to death since the last decade. Happy 1st year! Here's to many more Splatoon games and more Callie and Marie!

Doorman

I really didn't expect any game, time-wise, to beat the sort of hours that I put into stuff like Monster Hunter, but Splatoon has handily crushed anything else that's released in the past year (the past 5-6 years, really) as far as maintaining my attention. For as poorly as rounds in the game can go for me at times, and for all the bitching and moaning that I've subjected the SplatGAF Discord group to (Which really is a fantastic and fun community to be a part of, if you haven't stopped by lately), the fact that I keep coming back for more, keep wanting to find that equipment setup that fully clicks, and have never just dropped it entirely for easier and more ego-padding games suggests to me that they really did nail something compelling within the in-the moment gameplay that few games seem to match.

The aforementioned community definitely goes a long way in maintaining that interest, as well as the game itself, so I want to say a big thanks to all of you for helping to make the year, and I'm honestly sorry about all my salt. :p

Expectations for the sequel are going to be huge...I hope Nintendo has something really interesting up their sleeve to keep this series from being just a one-off success story.

I am personally glad to have you around Doorman, and I feel like you are stronger than you give yourself credit for :p though yes sometimes Splatoon will do some very weird things.

A full year later and I'm still playing! The only other game that ever got this much attention from me was Warcraft 3 back when I was in uni, and that was because I had a crew to play Footman Frenzy for hours upon hours with each night. This time around though, I have SplatGAF to hang with and we basically mess around with each other all the time :3

I have two loadouts that I've turfed over a million points with (and trust me, these are loadouts that are not meant for focusing on capturing turf), and yet there are still more loadouts that I want to mess around with. And so many other perk combinations I need to test too. And some other openings I need to try, and an understanding of what advantages/disadvantages I have from these other positions too...

Happy Birthday to one of the best games last year!

Always felt that the game would be a hit, but never thought it would gain the cultural popularity it did in Japan with concerts and clothing. I play the game every so often and get hooked each time I boot it up and play for hrs straight. It is so pick up and play friendly that an hr of playing just flies by.

I have just returned from Tokyo. I saw many people wearing Splatoon T-shirts, ranging from middle-aged men to kids. It has definitely become a cultural icon in Japan right now.

Who would have ever thought that Nintendo would win best shooter of the year? But they did and it was richly deserved. Here's hoping the series keeps going strong on NX.

Fills the void left behind by there not being a sequel to TWEWY.

That game's world is just so cool, it being an awesome playing game is just a huge bonus for me. Listened to the soundtrack today on the way home from work, that final battle is still a work of art.

Alastor3

im sure im gonna love the shooting but im not really a competitive player in online game so I wonder how are the side solo mission? I don't want to spend something like 60$ juste for something I will play once in a while (since I have no friend with a Wii U)

Luigiv

im sure im gonna love the shooting but im not really a competitive player in online game so I wonder how are the side solo mission? I don't want to spend something like 60$ juste for something I will play once in a while (since I have no friend with a Wii U)
Single player is really good but probably not worth the price of admission on it's own (it's like 4 hours long). That said, even if you're not competative, the multiplayer is still worth getting into. Turf wars is pretty lax.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Coming from competitive Halo 2/3, I think Splatoon is the most interesting competitive shooter since. The ink mechanic is a great substitute for sprint (which I typically dislike) and allows for a lot of unique evasive maneuvering. There are some things that could be tweaked, but I eagerly await the inevitable sequel.

I'm hoping some competitive scene would form around that similar to Sm4sh and Melee in the fgc.

There is a dedicated competitive scene for this game, and theres a guy named srbdude or just dude on youtube that is considered one of if not the best splatoon players in the world.

Thing is nintendo really needs to get on promoting its scene, its sorta kinda doing that in japan but completely ignores the western side, despite splatoon selling very well practically everywhere and not just japan.

Fandangox

hEJS3V5.png

Source

really cute

woopWOOP

Heck yeah.

Still boot up my WiiU to play a few games of this from time to time. Still having a blast trying new equips and weapon combinations. It's scratching that shooter itch real nicely.

Kinokou

Happy anniversary!

Because of reasons, since its release I have logged exactly 10 minutts of Splatoon. Hopefully I'll turn it around this year, but at this point it's maybe better to just hang in and wait for a sequel?

Now we need spin-offs.

EDIT: Best Wii U game.

A team racer seems like a good fit for the ink mechanics.

Happy anniversary!

Because of reasons, since its release I have logged exactly 10 minutts of Splatoon. Hopefully I'll turn it around this year, but at this point it's maybe better to just hang in and wait for a sequel?

A team racer seems like a good fit for the ink mechanics.

Nah get into it. The player count is literally always plentiful because the japanese play it so much. At least at night, during the day the western players are still plentiful.

You know how popular/successful a game can be when its characters have their own concert.
bpl5ed7gn2vzyoaeytvl.gif

TWICE!

Truly an awesome game. Great music. "Fresh" take on Shooters. Nice Campaign mode. And interesting Splatfests.
Surprised it's already been a year.

Shame I was never able to play it after the first patch, which made it impossible to play on my connection which had been fine up to that point, and continued to be fine with the Test Fire events.

oti

Banned
We are doing birthdays for games now?

I have yet to play this game though

Hey man it's like one of four Wii U games released within the last 15 months. :p
I love Splatoon

Splatoon is a 10/10
Nintendo's first multiplayer shooter game is a 10/10

That's astonishing.

I am expecting slightly better sales than wonderful 101. So no, not a major new IP.

It'll bomb.

Guessing Pikmin / Kirby levels. Popular enough to stick around but not a major force.

Love Nintendo and Splatoon, but if it hits 1M WW it would already be a miracle. :(

Nah.

At best, it'll join the ranks of the mid-tier NIntendo IPs.

You mean the next major Nintendo bomba?

Haha.
no offense to anyone i put on the wall of shame here :p

Anyways, Happy Birthday and congrats to Splatoon. Great game, but personally I haven't been in the mood for online shooters lately (don't feel like playing tf2 or overwatch these days) so I actually haven't touched it in a while. Still happy to see it be hugely successful, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Nintendo expands upon it all and hopefully produce more new IPs in the same vein.

Honestly one of the most fun and addictive multiplayer experiences I've had since Melee. I still go back and play it every now and then depending on my mood. The mechanics and controls work so smoothly and naturally together.

I should fire this game up sometime. It's still sealed. I'll happily admit that I was one of the people that thought this game would have mediocre sales. It proved me wrong. What a hit.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
As someone who always kept the faith in this game (especially when most of you were filled with doubt), I'm happy to say that history has proven me right on it being a great success, both critically and commercially.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Really looking forward to seeing what Nintendo does with a sequel.

And it still has one weapon update incoming!

Shame though that Nintendo does almost nothing against cheaters. It's as pathetic as Mario Kart 8's infested online mode.

Just checked my total time on this game, and holy crap.

Play Time: 1007:35
Times Played: 520

This might've just beaten Melee. Wowie.

Just checked my total time on this game, and holy crap.

Play Time: 1007:35
Times Played: 520

This might've just beaten Melee. Wowie.

If you were playing for all those hours, that means of the past 365*24= 8760 hours, you spent more than 1/10th of your life this year playing splatoon. More than 1/6th if you slept 8 hours a day on average.

So you seem like the person to ask. Squid or Kid?

keero16

Neo Member
Just got back into playing it recently. Trying to push my rank up, but I've been stuck on A for forever.

This game has easily been the most played Wii U game with my family. Never thought any game would beat Smash. And it's funny because we all thought a Nintendo shooter was never going to catch on initially

timshundo

I stopped looking at how much time I've logged in Splatoon. It's a scary number but I regret nothing. It's killing my game pad joysticks.

Wii U is such a treasure. In the context of just me, it's my favorite Nintendo console ever. I fully support someone buying it at this time as Splatoon alone makes it such a worthy purchase.

Top Bottom