• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neo upgrade musings in response to Scorpio.

autoduelist

That's what people said back in 2013 about no new console from Sony and MS before 2018/9. Now look where we are.

If the NEO is a succes. You can bet that the iterative console will become more frequent in release.

Or, iterative consoles cause another industry collapse as few early adopters jump on board and the majority that used to wait until years 3 through 5 to jump into a new gen now get cold feet to make any purchase at all because they don't want to buy a 'normal' ps4 but are priced out of the 4.5.

WadeitOut

Sony doesn't care about helping people win playground console fights.

They are far enough ahead in the market that they will make sure they turn a profit.

ethomaz

Banned
The original leaked NEO specs are fine for a 2017 launch and shows no apparent bottleneck.

If MS wishes to launch a response only in 2017 it will be dead before reaches the market even with 10 TF.

Elios83

Nonsense.

1)Sony is not starting a new gen with Neo.
They're extending the current one they are dominating with an upgrade.

2)You can't be more powerful than your competitor coming out a year before anyway, unless your competitor is called Nintendo.

3)Who cares? Once the iterative business model is in place there will be new things every two years. Even if you get the hardware crown it won't last for long, it's pointless.

4)Lowering price and reaching the mass market is way more important than higher specs.

Outrun

I... Really, really don't think it's feasible or realistic in the slightest that Sony changed their entire plans and threw away all the money they used for R&D for the Neo just because of rumours about the new Xbox.

Yep,

Money has already been sunk. The write down would be notable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
While I do think that in terms of CPU and RAM bandwidth we will get something more impressive than the initial leak, Sony isn't changing plans in response to a console coming out six months to a year later. They'll probably see it as a big win that they're out first and can cut the price when the next Xbox drops.

599.jpg

Elios83

- Xbone 100$ cheaper than ps4
- Reached mass market
- Ps4 is still dominating by a good margin

What are you talking about?
Main reason why PS4 has dominated is because it costed 100$ less than Xbox One for the first year.
And 100$ less what?
Official price is 349$ for both right now.

platina

What are you talking about?
Main reason why PS4 has dominated is because it costed 100$ than Xbox One for the first year.
And 100$ less what?
Official price is 349$ for both right now.
I meant currentry. I could've swore there was always a $100 difference after they dropped Kinect. My bad

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
I'm loving all this speculation, cannot wait to find out what the actual reality will be. Being XboxOneless now, I could entertain buying a revised, superior to Neo, Xbox next year then hold out for a proper PS5 in another 2-4 years. However, there's not enough must have software on XBox at the moment for me (there are a few titles though), and with the whole Windows UWP thing - Well I have a powerful PC if I got really desperate for a title, though I use it only for music production and keep it airgapped in general.

On balance, I can wait to late 2017 to see how it pans out.

wachie

First the speculation is based on the assumption that Sony would want to participate in the HP race at the cost of risking their launch, which is earlier than Scorpio and raise the BOM and ultimately temper their expectations of sales targets. For example, their internal target for a 4TFlop $399 box is 5M WW in the first year, imagine that internal target to be much lower for a 5-6TFlop $499+ box.

Once you think Sony is ready to make those sacrifices, then lets take the musings in the OP into consideration.

The memory BW (Gbps) to peak flop ratio for AMD GPUs has been steady.

3u30ST3.png

The one outlier is the Tonga which had the memory compression technology so you can see it does manage to do with much less memory bandwidth compared to its raw ALU power. Imagine Polaris to be using an even newer memory compression technology so for the sake of the arguments, lets just go with Tonga's ratio.

For 4.14TFlops, Sony would need ~186Gbps. For 5.6TFlops, that figure balloons to 252Gbps. So imagine if the Neo was originally using GDDR5, they would now need GDDR5X. Doesn't seem plausible.

Next, a 33% increase in GPU clock is possible but that throws a wrench in the cooling/shell design as well as other power targets and certifications Sony would be planning for. The most I think would be done is from the low 900s to 1GHz. The safest approach I think (if Sony is such inclined) will take is bump the clocks by 10% and call it a day.

AmyS

Not happening. Neo is going to be $399 with the reported spec, or VERY close to it.

Microsoft is essentially coming out with a whole new console, new CPU new GPU and most like a different memory architecture.

PS4 Neo is just an upgraded PS4.

Sony will save the big leap for PS5 in 2020 on 10nm FinFET. Probably 8-12 Zen Cores, double digit TF GPU and probably the 1.5x more efficient HBM2 or AMD "Nextgen Memory". shown in various roadmaps.
1+ TB/sec bandwidth, etc. Enough to power native 4K gaming and really good 2nd generation PSVR.

Proelite

I think you need to go back and read it. Carefully. Then point out to me where it says the RAM increase was a response to XB1.

The developers saying "If you go with 4GB of GDDR5, you are done" doesn't imply shit.

Who the fuck still says pwnt anymore?

After hearing this, Adam says he had a mini-breakdown, and it wasn’t until he reflected on this and asked himself the question, “Are we going to be the best console in every single category?” before things started moving, because “the answer used to be no.”

Seemed pretty clear to me.

Crayon

Not happening. Neo is going to be $399 with the reported spec, or VERY close to it.

Microsoft is essentially coming out with a whole new console, new CPU new GPU and most like a different memory architecture.

Sony will save the big leap for PS5 in 2020 on 10nm FinFET. Probably 8-12 Zen Cores, 18-20 TF GPU and probably the 1.5x more efficient HBM2 or AMD "Nextgen Memory". shown in various roadmaps.
1+ TB/sec bandwidth, etc. Enough to power native 4K gaming and really good 2nd generation PSVR.

I'm inclined to agree. I don't know if neo and scorpio are quite the same thing. Sony needs to hang on to ps4 while ms has to ditch xbo.

Crayon

That is what I would like to know. OP says "musings", but no link and it seems like his/her own "musings", which really isn't musings.

Musings just means pondering or ass-talking. It has nothing to do with a specific source or authority.

The problem now is that Microsoft is moving everything to simultaneous xbox one and windows 10 releases, so there arent any exclusives to buy a console for.

As an xbox one owner who primarily plays on PC where possible, then PS4 for console exclusives (incl third party exclusives) my X1 is now just going to be a box I can play sunset overdrive and thats it - there isnt anything coming out for it I wouldnt just get on windows.

If Scorpio is as powerful as rumored its going to be expensive and supporting the oculus rift - given that this would be what $1100 bundle if we are generous and say scorpio at $499, cut scorpio to $399 and it would still be $1000. Its hard to imagine anyone buying xbox one for that price when they could pay more to get a far more versatile PC.

Plus there is nothing to say Sony cant release another piece of hardware if scorpio takes off (ie they can design one just not announced it until they feel it is necessary)

ghst

thanks for the laugh
great fun to see the two armies of system warriors lined up in the trenches waiting to find out if they're about to be given an m4a or a flintlock rifle.

After hearing this, Adam says he had a mini-breakdown, and it wasn’t until he reflected on this and asked himself the question, “Are we going to be the best console in every single category?” before things started moving, because “the answer used to be no.”

Seemed pretty clear to me.

Are you Mister Fantastic? I can't think of anyone else that can stretch that much.

...that sounded less lame in my head but my point stands.

I'd be surprised to see Sony react in this way. The two consoles will probably be a full year apart. On top of that, Neo seems like an incremental upgrade, something for Sony to add to their lineup to complement the vanilla PS4 and stretch a few more years out of the life cycle, while the Scorpio sounds like a complete upgrade, a follow up to the XBone. I mean, people like to cry about "mid cycle upgrades" but Fall 2017 will be 4 years between Bone and Scorpio, which is the exact same amount of time between the original Xbox and the 360.

Dovahking

Stronger CPU was already considered when Osiris black leaked the original Neo news on Gaf. Said the upgrade will raise price to $499 potentially.

Yep.

Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.)

If Neo is coming in spring/summer 2017, I think it will have a decent spec bump.

STEaMkb

Since we've heard that there can't be any Neo-only games, is there much of a point in being so much more powerful than the PS4?

Neo seems like an incremental upgrade, something for Sony to add to their lineup to complement the vanilla PS4 and stretch a few more years out of the life cycle, while the Scorpio sounds like a complete upgrade, a follow up to the XBone.

Why are some people failing to understand this point? No Neo exclusive titles. All games must run on both models. The PS4 Elite console, if we can call it that, is for people who want to play their PlayStation 4 games at 60 fps instead of 30.

Microsoft is taking the opportunity to launch a new, all-powerful system that is something of a departure from the Xbox One.

rpg_fan

Sony has experience being late and higher priced. Didn't work out so well for them. I especially don't see 599 happening for either console.

I'd be surprised to see Sony react in this way. The two consoles will probably be a full year apart. On top of that, Neo seems like an incremental upgrade, something for Sony to add to their lineup to complement the vanilla PS4 and stretch a few more years out of the life cycle, while the Scorpio sounds like a complete upgrade, a follow up to the XBone. I mean, people like to cry about "mid cycle upgrades" but Fall 2017 will be 4 years between Bone and Scorpio, which is the exact same amount of time between the original Xbox and the 360.
I think Sony, MS, and Nintendo are all on board for incremental upgrading.

I also think Sony knows being more powerful helped their console and I think they know how powerful the Scorpio will be and have a contingency plan to keep at least parity. They know Nintendo will be weaker no matter what. I'd be very very surprised if Scorpio is significantly more powerful.

This really is gonna be a console arms race isn't it, huh.

And it's gonna be hilarious. I'm out for mid-gen upgrades, kinda defeats the purpose of why I buy consoles. just don't care anymore. I've been primarily a PC gamer anyways so these types of upgrades are essentially nail in the coffin really.

Top Bottom