• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Teases Radeon RX 480 (5.5TFlops) (VR-Ready)- Launching June 29th For $199

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lister

Banned
This plus an upgraded CPU is right around 6TF right?

A CPU wouldn't really be part of the measurement, so no.

But it's likely that the APU's on these new consoles is similar tech, a bit pared down on the PS4K and abit buffed up on the Xbox Scorpion - if rumors are true.

Lister

Banned
This is definitely a solid little card.

Pretty amazing if you can match or beat the new consoles coming out with a $200 GPU.

PC gaming is getting cheaper and cheaper now a days. good on AMD for providing this much value!

iavi

Sounds like $199 for 4GB, $249 for 8GB? As the Ashes benchmark said CF 480s are <$500.

If the 480 is comparable to a 390 or a bit faster it'll be a really nice value.

A 480 with 36CU is punching with the 390x. Guessing the Oc headroom we'll have due to that node shrink and we're looking somewhere just under Fury levels is my guess. For 199. AMD is back

Hmm... very interesting, I'm looking forward to the benchmarks as the only real performance we were shown was the doom video which was staying above 60fps the whole time at max settings but they did not say what resolution it was running at, so we could be looking at 970 or 980 performance here.

I can confirm that this card is definitely faster than the 960 as I've been playing Doom this last week on my 960 and the game does drop to the mid 40s quite a bit at max settings at 1080p.

bomblord1

Banned
Currently watching the conference

They're also doing a dual card that is less than $500 and made the claim it outperforms the 1080...

...At 56% load (the dual 480 at 56% load outperforming a 1080 at 98% load)

They only cited 1 benchmark and that was Ashes of Singularity running in DX12

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This is definitely a solid little card.

Pretty amazing if you can match or beat the new consoles ocming out with a $200 GPU.

PC gaming is getting cheaper and cheaper now a days.

GPU's were cheaper at one point.

It would be like a Xbox 360 2 coming out at 450GLOPS in 2008, not all that amazing for a half step considering usual generational divides.

dukie85

Welp, I was gonna wait on the 1070, but holy shit... at this price, I'll gladly swap my 270X out for 1 (and later on 2) of these immediately.

They're also doing a dual card that is less than $500 and made the claim it outperforms the 1080...

I don't think it's a dual card. I think they just meant 2 in crossfire.

Lister

Banned

Meh, unlikely that this will translate to real world performance once:

1. Nvidia's DX12 drivers are improved, and the devs take advanatge of async compute on Nvidia.

2. And since SLI/Xfire is still unlikely to be widely supported in most games, sadly.

I will say that I am seriously considering buying this card for my oculus rift which was shipped last week, because even if this card is equal to a 970 then $199 is a damn good deal for the recommended vr specs and at almost half the price of the 1070 makes it even sweeter.

I'll still wait to see benchmarks, temps, noise and what not from reviewers before I make up my mind.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Rumored specs for the Neo were a bit over 100% improvement in TF performance. 1.8 * 2 = 3.6.

Which is varying only based on the amount of CU's put in based on the architecture, which were not looked at as being Polaris from those rumors. Polaris in general is going to achieve that architecturally if the CU's are there, and i see no reason why Sony would not jump on polaris if MS is going with Vega next year.

All we have are the giant bomb numbers, which only list the amount of CU's and the clock speed.

PS4K should be $350.

Not with included RAM, GPU and controller. This is a single GPU.

They are going to do all they can to...get to 399. That's not going to be price close to the one they already have

Elandyll

Banned
That is a very sexy price/ power combo...

Hopefully the declinations up and down from there follow the same ratio, that would be killer.

reKon

Banned
As insane pricing this is, I still feel no need to upgrade from the the sapphire 280 that got brand new for $150 last year. All I wanted was something that would be able to play all the games I missed in the past few years, run dolphin w/ downsampling, and at least be able to play the best current gen games for PC (Witcher 3, GTA V) on high.

I'm not changing my 4690K CPU for like 5-6 years because there will be no need too. My next and only two substantial upgrades will be a high performance SSD when 1 TB hits below $150 regularly and a powerful bang for buck GPU that comes out when VR is more prevalent. Maybe the next big AMD card after Vega will be the GPU that fulfills this? I dunno, but if I had held out on a GPU until now, this would be without question a day 1 buy for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom