• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Neo GPU are point-for-point a match for RX 480

Shtof

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-amd-rx-480-costs-199-gtx-970-r9-390-beating-performance

It's also worth noting that - clock-speeds and resultant TFLOPs aside - the specs for RX 480 are point-for-point a match for the GPU in Sony's upcoming PlayStation Neo, all but confirming that the Sony mid-gen console refresh uses both Polaris technology and the new 14nm FinFET chip manufacturing process.

I guess this is nothing new since we knew it would use the Polaris Architecture. We can assume, however, that the aggressive pricing could be a result of Sony already ordering huge amounts of the GPU for Neo, letting AMD relax the price for the standalone GPU.

What I find interesting is that the RX480 matches the GTX980 in performance. The latter was the top tier GPU 1,5 years ago, and will be 2 years old by the time PSNeo is rumored to release. If Sony can sell the console for $399 and new game releases takes advantage of the extra power the possibility is high that quite a few of the 'hard core' gamers will upgrade.

Looking further down the line, if this trend continues we could see new consoles releasing every second year for rather low prices. When off-the-shelf hardware is used R&D costs for new consoles is reduced immensely. This is a far cry from the days of PS2 and PS3 where the custom hardware were huge investments.

coughlanio

Doesnt this contradict the 4TF performance that was rumoured, unless the GPU is underclocked for thermal reasons.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This article is a bit strange. So they know so much about PS4 Neo's GPU? Sounds like a controlled leak to be honest.

Wait really? I thought the GPU is the Neo was way weaker than this? Shocking if true.

Doesnt this contradict the 4TF performance that was rumoured, unless the GPU is underclocked for thermal reasons.

this titbit is very important:
Eurogamer said:
clock-speeds and resultant TFLOPs aside

Shtof

Basically you countered your own argument. Yes, it will probably be clocked down to 4.4 tflops like rumored. Unless, of course they can solve the heating problems.

Wait really? I thought the GPU is the Neo was way weaker than this? Shocking if true.

It is. Clockspeeds makes the difference. PS4Neo is rumoured to be clocked at 911mhz making it 4.1Tflops while RX480 is supposed to be clocked at least at 1200mhz, making it 5.5 Tflops.

Basically this is how you calculate flops:
Shader units*2*clockspeed in Ghz.
2306*2*0.911 = 4.2 Tflops.
2306*2*1.2 = 5.5 Tflops.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Curious to see their cooling setup.

PS4 is quite notorious for running rather hot and loud so I hope they are putting in some extra work into making this thing both powerful, yet silent and compact.

Basically, i'm asking them to do the impossible I guess. I just don't want an Xbox One like VCR unit in my shelf.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Basically you countered your own argument. Yes, it will probably be clocked down to 4.4 tflops like rumored. Unless, of course they can solve the heating problems.

It's not only about the heat, it's also about the fact that they don't change the CPUs, so it's anyhow bottlenecked there.

DieH@rd

Banned
Yup, that's it.

RX480 is clocked at 1266mhz on PC, while we know from SDK leak that Neo module will be clocked at 911mhz. That alone will push the tflops counter down to 4.2tlops, and more importantly, it will reduce heat and power draw.

jmaine_ph

Probably lower clocks but the same base architecture.

It is. Clockspeeds makes the difference. PS4Neo is rumoured to be clocked at 911mhz making it 4.1Tflops while RX480 is supposed to be clocked at least at 1200mhz, making it 5.5 Tflops.

Basically this is how you calculate flops:
Shader units*2*clockspeed in Ghz.
2306*2*0.911 = 4.2 Tflops.
2306*2*1.2 = 5.5 Tflops.

Got it. Thanks.

It's good, but not as aggressive (in regards performance) to the PC RX480 (which does 5.5Tflops).

But the heat will be an issue for the PS4K (especially if it's using a smaller chassis).

HD7850 had the same TDP as Rx480.
So... The cooling would be pretty much the same.

wow this is amazing, Sony trying to one up Scorpio?

No surprise here. PS4 Neo was always rumoured to have 36 compute units. Although Scorpio is rumoured to sit at 6Tflops... So 4.2 Tflops would be the same kind of gap between XB1 and PS4.

So I guess making new consoles every second year will be how AMD survives. But a once proud PC hardware company reduced to making weak consoles, can we really call that "life" or is it more akin to undeath?

thuway

Sony please up the clocks on Neo to the 480 PC design. 5.5 TF Sony! I guess I should go back to dreaming.

One the real, this is a very nice card.

DieH@rd

Banned
It's good, but not as aggressive (in regards performance) to the PC RX480 (which does 5.5Tflops).

But the heat will be an issue for the PS4K (especially if it's using a smaller chassis).

911mhz clocked Polaris will not produce a lot of heat.

wow this is amazing, Sony trying to one up Scorpio?

No. All this was known from the first Neo leak, we just have a PC version of it coming to sale this month for a great price.

Scorpio will be stronger, possibly using larger Vega 10 chip.
http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/AMD-Vega-10-Polaris-10-Polaris-11-Feature.jpg

thuway

Polaris chips by design are made to take a high clock rate. Sony seems to be going very conservative in their clock rates.

Alej

Banned
So I guess making new consoles every second year will be how AMD survives. But a once proud PC hardware company reduced to making weak consoles, can we really call that "life" or is it more akin to undeath?

Is this a joke? This is so condescending.
Why is this considered different than a budget PC exclusively build with gaming and media abilities in mind, for the living room?

It is not that weak actually. Strongest software arguably on the market right now runs on 3 to 4x less powerful 2012 hardware.

The CPU is a bottleneck though for this chip. Hopefully they re-evaluate their CPU decision and put something a little more powerful in at a minor cost increase. (Doubtful I know, but we still don't know how far out these are anyway.)

Curious to see their cooling setup.

PS4 is quite notorious for running rather hot and loud so I hope they are putting in some extra work into making this thing both powerful, yet silent and compact.

Basically, i'm asking them to do the impossible I guess. I just don't want an Xbox One like VCR unit in my shelf.

VCR > Hairdryer

leeh

The CPU is a bottleneck though for this chip. Hopefully they re-evaluate their CPU decision and put something a little more powerful in at a minor cost increase. (Doubtful I know, but we still don't know how far out these are anyway.)
The APU is going to set in-stone, and will of been for a while. If anything, it'll just get a clock increase, same as what happened to the X1 prior to launch.

The APU is going to set in-stone, and will of been for a while. If anything, it'll just get a clock increase, same as what happened to the X1 prior.

Yea.... I know :( I just don't understand why they wouldn't have taken the chance to revise the CPU when they had the chance.

jeffram

Sony please up the clocks on Neo to the 480 PC design. 5.5 TF Sony! I guess I should go back to dreaming.

One the real, this is a very nice card.
There is precedent for them bumping the clock at a later date (like when Scorpio drops)

Top Bottom