• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A guide to 2016's summer indie games

Shari

Hive Jump should be up your alley

I fear this game is going to have the same problem as broforce when theres a lot of action going on on the screen, you pretty much dont know what's happening

Dark2-wide.gif

Either way ill keep an eye on it and we'll see how it fares.

Edit:

OMG, Necropolis slip past me, if there's something bigger than my love for coop experiences its my souls addiction.

God bless... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand buy.

Nice.

Sounds like you're playing an Alpha copy from the dev's website?
Oh yeah, us alpha players have been praising it for a while now :)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1224811

I fear this game is going to have the same problem as broforce when theres a lot of action going on on the screen, you pretty much dont know what's happening

Dark2-wide.gif

Either way ill keep an eye on it and we'll see how it fares.
Also Necropolis, that's online co-op. Slower paced too, Souls-esque

It's very likely that Rain World will be releasing this summer

1) The game is content complete
2) The devs have been hard at work on big deadlines that they can't say much about
3) On Twitter, they said that there will be release date news "very soon" (and E3 is right around the corner, so...)

So yeah, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Rain World in July or August

Tagyhag

It's very likely that Rain World will be releasing this summer

1) The game is content complete
2) The devs have been hard at work on big deadlines that they can't say much about
3) On Twitter, they said that there will be release date news "very soon" (and E3 is right around the corner, so...)

So yeah, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Rain World in July or August

If Rain World ends up sucking you won't go on a frenzied banning spree right?

If Rain World ends up sucking you won't go on a frenzied banning spree right?
It won't. I've already put like 15+ hours into the various alphas over the last year. So I can say with certainty that it's already great, and the ton of content they've added since the last alphas will only make it better

Tried fossil echo at a con i went to a couple weeks back. It's looking to be a very fun game, and ill probably end up getting that when it releases.

What are your specs? I'm on a laptop with Intel i5 and Intel HD 5500, and can play the game fine (Well, really big settlements might cause some problems, but that's expected with any of these management games)

Unfortunately, I don't have it yet! It won't be anything other than an off the shelf HP or something similar.

I've never heard of Rimworld until this thread, but it looks amazing.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'll most likely be getting House of the Dying Sun, No Man's Sky, Necropolis and Okhlos.

JPS Kai

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about it, but I'm super excited for the new Crimson Room out next week. I was unaware it was coming out to soon until I got a press release on it before lunch.

June 3, 2016—Degica Games is pleased to announce that room escape game, Crimson Room Decade, developed by Dream Holdings and TAKAGISM Inc., is coming to Steam June 10th. It will be priced at $9.99 with a 15% launch discount. http://store.steampowered.com/app/262510

A decade after the release of the original Crimson Room Flash game comes the sequel, Crimson Room Decade. Inspector Jean-Jacques Gordot finds himself investigating the Crimson Room. A door that won’t open, a flickering light bulb, scattered wine bottles… has he been here before?

To escape, you’ll need to use everything at your disposal. Explore every nook and cranny of the room to find environmental clues and objects to aid you in your escape. Use, manipulate and combine items to solve challenging puzzles and further unlock the mysteries of the Crimson Room.

Can you escape the room?
Features:
Based on the popular Flash game, Crimson Room, with a record setting 800M views across several gaming websites
Explore the Crimson Room and unlock its mysteries
Find, use and combine items in the environment to solve challenging puzzles
Collect hidden diary entries to piece together the tragic backstory
Enjoy the ambient soundtrack and isolating atmosphere

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about it, but I'm super excited for the new Crimson Room out next week. I was unaware it was coming out to soon until I got a press release on it before lunch.
Huh, that's looks pretty interesting. I usually don't enjoy room escape games, but this reminds me of The Room a bit, looks more tactile and interactive than other room escapes I've seen

Tapejara

Hive Jump looks cool. Will pick it up on Wii U, but I'm hoping the devs have a Vita version planned at some point!

Timespinner looks great too, as do a lot of the games listed.

redcrayon

Thanks for compiling the thread OP, much appreciated.

Timespinner looks great, like a combination of lots of my favourite mid-90s games. Steamworld Heist for Vita is on my list too, I almost picked it up on 3DS last year but was swamped with stuff to play. It looks gorgeous and I think it'll benefit from the Vita's screen in comparison.

Karak

My GOTY as of now. I abaoluted loved it, and it's probably the most innovative game in the subgenre since The Walking Dead. The walk-and-talk mechanic allows for a pace that Telltale-style adventures never could do, and it implements a meaningful New Game Plus into a narrative adventure

Mine as well.
Doing a large podcast next friday with the devs right after they wrap up their ARG too. That should be fun.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Cosmic Star Heroine was announced today that it is coming this summer to PS4 & Vita. Still no specific date but the trailer look awesome.
Today's Trailer

Blog Post including physical version details.

This and possibly Timespinner are my most wanted. Nothing else in the OP is really grabbing me all that much.

There's also Touhou: Scarlet Odyssey which will be published by X-SEED. Looks awesome too, highly influenced by the Ys 6/Origin/Oath engine games :O

SteamWorld Heist is brilliant. Get on that. (Though the 3DS version's stereoscopic tricks are really neat, the PlayStation versions should more than suffice.)

Was going through the Rimworld changelogs for a article I was writing. All the additions since the Kickstarter have been impressive to say the least:

• Adaptive tutor AI, that dynamically provides tips and hints based on your actions
  • Cannibalism
  • Factions (raiders, traders, tribes) with generated names that dynamically interact with each other
  • Faction infighting
  • Hunting
  • Roaming mecha species (ie giant robot centipede) and EMP weapons to counter
  • Raider sieges and mortar weapons
  • Events like crashed alien tech that drives colonist insane, toxic fallout, volcanic winters
  • Clothing system that allows for attire to increase speed or reduce damage
  • Varied biomes (desert, shrubland, temperate forest, tropical rainforest, coastlines, tundra) with their unique flora and fauna
  • Medical system (wounds have location-specific effects ie burnt eyes affect vision, wounds grow more debilitating if untreated, pain levels, doctors perform and administer medicine, permanent effects like brain damage)
  • Prosthetic limbs (peg legs, wood dentures, bionic limbs and eyes)
  • Organ harvesting and transplanting.
  • Diseases (flu, plague, malaria, sleeping sickness, food poisoning, etc.)
  • Age-related conditions (cataracts, bad back, etc.) and cosmetics like gray hair
  • Dynamic weather (temperatures tracked indoors and outdoors, yearly cycles and seasons, snow accumulation)
  • Weather-related conditions (hypothermia, frostbite, heatstroke) and weather-specific clothing
  • Tech and events like Matrix-style instant neurotrainers and ancient cryptosleep shrines (with sleeping individuals you could awake)
  • Arsenal of weapons ranging melee weapons, pistols, and rifles to SMGs and triple rocket launchers to IEDs, mortars, turrets, and psychic insanity lances
  • Animal taming and animal handlers, pets, animal waste that must be cleaned
  • Dynamic ecosystem (predators and prey, animal life stages, spreading insect hives)
  • Personality traits (lazy, hardworking, neurotic, psychically sensitive, deaf, bloodlust, nudist, etc.)
  • Emotional states (colonists perform activities that enjoy like mediation and chess, get angry towards each other)
  • Relationships (family, friends, rivals, spouses, parents, cousins; colonists have opinions of each other, can get married or divorced)
  • Trading and economy (traveling trade caravans, can create items to sell through carpentry, sculpting, metalwork, paintings, engraved weapons, etc.)

And that's not even everything

23qwerty

Definitely need to jump back into Rimworld soon, probably been a bunch of updates since I last played.
Rain World must be releasing this summer as well, yeah. Can't see how it doesn't, can't wait for that.
Death Road to Canada looks very promising too.
No Man's Sky, don't even need to say anything about that ;)
Most anticipated game for sure

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I think Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is likely to make it by summer's end. I think the last time they updated their schedule they hoped/expected to submit for certification in July.

--

100% in for these on PS4. A bunch more interest me if they get ported, or if I get a new laptop and decide to actually deal with computer games.

Headlander
Hyper Light Drifter (backed)
No Man's Sky
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (backed)
Steamworld Heist HD

I find myself very intrigued by Cosmic Star Heroine even though I'm not necessarily an RPG guy. I think the last time I played a JRPG was Golden Sun 2...

Aaron D.

Definitely need to jump back into Rimworld soon, probably been a bunch of updates since I last played.

After pouring over YouTube media this evening, I would literally own RimWorld right now if the dev offered Steam keys when it launched in EA. Sadly, the dev's FAQ says he can't guarantee any new customer a Steam key after some random date over a year ago. Guess it has to do with Valve key policy or something.

Oh well. I'm all over this game the moment it goes up on Steam.

After pouring over YouTube media this evening, I would literally own RimWorld right now if the dev offered Steam keys when it launched in EA. Sadly, the dev's FAQ says he can't guarantee any new customer a Steam key after some random date over a year ago. Guess it has to do with Valve key policy or something.

Oh well. I'm all over this game the moment it goes up on Steam.
Really? That's odd. I've gotten keys for games that didn't come to Steam till a year or more after my original purchase, like Broforce and Door Kickers

And those were bought directly through their sites

Oh, so Below is finally coming out? Almost forgot about it. I've been looking forward to it for a long time.

Also, the Solus Project looks really interesting.

Aaron D.

Really? That's odd. I've gotten keys for games that didn't come to Steam till a year or more after my original purchase, like Broforce and Door Kickers

And those were bought directly through their sites

Same here (Viscera Cleanup Detail, a couple Truck Sims, etc.).

The dev's latest blog post touches on it.

JoeMartin

I couldn't be more excited for Enemy Starfighter/HotDS. I was concerned that he was going to can it for a while, given the lack of update and time past the original release date, but it's great to see it getting a release. So much EVE/BSG feels in that latest video, too. Also happy to see the style has remained intact these last 2 years.

Steamworld Heist and Cosmic Star Heroine on vita for me :)

Going to look into Timespinner now!

Edit: Below and No Man's Sky too, obviously.

_machine

Fantastic stuff, More_Badass!

I will definitely be picking up Steamworld Heist finally, the devs are fantastic people and I really loved Steamworld Dig. Solus has also been on my radar since 2014, but I'm not really sure if it's a game to my taste.

This thread does make me miss the days of being an indie, but also how fantastic the "competition" (it's not really competition exactly though) is and how much all these fantastic games reinforce my love for the industry, no matter how though it gets.

Top Bottom