• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Times when your prediction was dead wrong

Phediuk

I remember completely writing off the Playstation when I first read about it back in the day. Like who the fuck would want some shitty multimedia thing from Sony of all companies? It was another 3DO/CD-i. Obviously the Saturn was going to steamroll that thing. And to be honest, I don't even think I gave the Playstation that much consideration; I just ignored it until I saw Ridge Racer in a store demo one day and my mind was blown. Looked WAY better than Daytona on the Saturn.

So yeah, that stands out to me

dugdug

Banned
"The next Xbox will obviously destroy the next PlayStation considering how the 360/PS3 battle went."

WELP!

DJIzana

I felt the same way about the first Playstation for the same reason. I didn't even jump into FF7 until like a few months after it came out as my friends kept pushing me to play it until I caved.

On another note, Maximillian on Twitch... he definitely was quickly wrong about his prediction. I still love this reaction vid too. Basically sums up how I feel when I'm hyped about a game reveal happens (even this Smash Direct too). xD

https://youtu.be/CK5gdf5cMPM?t=7

I thought Wii U sales would increase in 2014.

I predicted that SFV would easily clear 2 million.

I forgot to take Capcom into account.

Both of these, and that Kingdom Hearts III would be out in March 2017 (pretty much nailed in the coffin as soon as 2.8 was announced).

I really did think Smash and MK8 would save the Wii U, but ah well. They did in my heart.

EDIT: Another one, NX being 2016 and revealed at E3.

Yeeeeesh.

antitrop

I thought Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 was going to be slightly better than THPS HD, but still disappointing and not worthy of the THPS5 name. I never could have known how much of an actual piece of shit that game turned out, it's one of the worst games I've ever played.

Phediuk

I thought Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 was going to be slightly better than THPS HD, but still disappointing. I never could have known how much of an actual piece of shit that game turned out.

Dude, it was from the makers of Tony Hawk Ride.

Michael Pachter: the thread.

Joking aside, I've predicted Nintendo's E3 showcases and directs wrong so many times. At this point, I don't even try, lol.

redcrayon

I looked at the upcoming WiiU launch period in Japan with Monster Hunter 3U, Dragon Quest X, NSMBU, a tablet and off-TV twin analogue play and thought 'what could possibly go wrong' :D

duckroll

I was a HUGE supporter of the PSP when it was first released. Being a first-gen JP release owner was a real game changing moment for my portable gaming perspective. I've had a Gameboy, a Game Gear, a Gameboy Color, and a Wonderswan Color at that point. The PSP represented the real future leap in portable gaming in every possible aspect. The design, the visuals, the sound, the controls, everything felt like a huge leap forward. I was convinced the DS didn't stand a chance in the long run.

Instead now everyone is playing games on their phones instead and dedicated portable gaming probably won't last another 5 years. Lol.

bjork

A friend showed me Phantasy Star Online and I was like, "I won't like this because it isn't a traditional Phantasy Star. Where is my PSV?"

I was so very wrong.

I thought HD DVD was going to win over Blu-Ray.

Ooooh, I forgot about that one. I thought that DVD name would carry them over and that Blu-ray is going to be another obscure and/or disliked proprietary format pushed by Sony, like Betamax, ATRAC or Memory Sticks.

I was a HUGE supporter of the PSP when it was first released. Being a first-gen JP release owner was a real game changing moment for my portable gaming perspective. I've had a Gameboy, a Game Gear, a Gameboy Color, and a Wonderswan Color at that point. The PSP represented the real future leap in portable gaming in every possible aspect. The design, the visuals, the sound, the controls, everything felt like a huge leap forward. I was convinced the DS didn't stand a chance in the long run.

Instead now everyone is playing games on their phones instead and dedicated portable gaming probably won't last another 5 years. Lol.

Eh... PSP still performed really well - better than all Nintendo competitors before and after it, and against its most popular platform too. And in some countries, like Russia and CIS countries, PSP was the handheld, lumped between GBA in the past and 3DS in the present. DS was almost non-existent here...

Almighty

The biggest one off the top of my head is I thought the PS3 was going steamroll the competition like the PS2 did.

On a smaller scale I thought Elemental: War of Magic was going to be amazing. Same goes for Oblivion as well.

mikeyvids

Neo Member
Thought the Wii was going to be VR.

I thought Wii U would succeed with its abundance of asymmetric multiplayer games.

I thought MGSV was going to tank critically. Granted, the fanbase was certainly pissed off but the publications were batshit for it.

eizarus

Banned
Not my prediction and it's probably been mentioned a few times on this thread, but the thread about Overwatch not selling as well as the Division.

I thought splatoon was gonna be dog shit.
I thought the last guardian was dead.
I thought shenmue 3 wasn't happening.
Same with final fantasy 7 remake.
Thought NX would be out this year.

Strange how that happens.

You underestimated the power of t3h Pokemanz too.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
The XboxOne will never outsell the Wii U worldwide.

Destiny would release on Wii U.

Many otther Wii U failures and such...

duckroll

Eh... PSP still performed really well - better than all Nintendo competitors before and after it, and against its most popular platform too. And in some countries, like Russia and CIS countries, PSP was the handheld, lumped between GBA in the past and 3DS in the present. DS was almost non-existent here...

I don't think you understand how hard I went in on the PSP winning the handheld war back then, especially here. :p

i choose to watch Forces of Nature movie instead of The Matrix..... will never,..... ever. live that one down.

I was this close to watch Robocop 3 instead of Jurassic Park but just before going to the cinema I watched the trailer of Jurassic Park and... well of course.

pnutboy

I fully expected Until Dawn to bomb hard, and it ended up being one of my favorite games I've played on my PS4.

I was absolutely sure the new Killer Instinct would be hot garbage. Still not a game I would play, but people seem to like it quite a bit.

Also, the Tomb Raider reboot. Pre-release stuff made it look like an uninspired Uncharted knock-off, but it ended up being my favorite game of that year. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it more than any of the Uncharted games.

GKFinns

I thought that mobile and tablet gaming would never become a legitimate force in gaming.

I'm happy I was wrong. I've found many great gaming experiences because of it.

I thought the new Zelda was going to come out in 2015.

Oh crap, forgot alll about this. Thought there was no way they'd delay it till 2016 since it'd leave them with a barren 2015, and it'd be 2016 for sure since otherwise that'd be a barren year too.

Hahahahahahahahahaha

Top Bottom