• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay Wilson is leaving Blizzard

strafer

https://twitter.com/Angryrobotics

5hzm2sW.png

Arkeband

Banned
He Jay Wilson'd himself.

It's too bad that his "legacy" will always be the D3 Auction House and related design decisions, but at least now he'd doing what he wants to be doing.

TheYanger

Dumb question: What was Jay Wilson known for at Blizzard?

Lots of really stupid quotes and bad decisions. Almost all 'Blizz isn't who they used to be!" hyperbolic arguments people make hinge entirely on the game he headed up. Other products can be better or worse quality, but the only one that legitimately felt like a slap in the dick was his.

Most recently, the initial release of Diablo 3. An unmitigated disaster that took a herculean effort to right.

Actually most recently he was working on wow, but I couldn't even tell you offhand what he was there, just some lead systems dev or something idk. I'd have to google it. Very different position. He got shuttled off there after the fuck that loser debacle.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Other than D3 what else was he known for?

Edit: He's been there since 2006 so I guess D3 is all he worked on.

His legacy is being the scapegoat (somewhat deservedly, although not entirely) for all the terrible design decisions that went into vanilla D3, as well as poisoning his relationship with the fans by angrily lashing out at the actual creator of the series. I'm surprised it's taken him this long to leave.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Thank you jay for Dawn of War. One of the greatest RTSes of all time.

Sucks that his legacy at Blizzard will always be pre-RoS Diablo 3... one of the most bungled launches and sequel concepts of all time.

His legacy is being the scapegoat (somewhat deservedly, although not entirely) for all the terrible design decisions that went into vanilla D3, as well as poisoning his relationship with the fans by angrily lashing out at the actual creator of the series. I'm surprised it's taken him this long to leave.

he was the game director. He had to sign off on everything for it to happen. So even if stuff like difficulty levels, AH/RMAH, loot RNG tuning, etc weren't his ideas, he greenlit them.

I remember those Diablo 3 days. Vaguely recall him having some negative thoughts about the community, or was it some of the community managers or moderators on the forums? Cannot remember.

Lain

His "fuck that loser" was lame, but his work on Diablo 3, as far as I'm concerned, was cool albeit flawed (core vanilla gameplay was good, and the auction house was a great concept which sadly affected their loot drop rates decision in the wrong way), so I'm gonna say that it's too bad he's leaving but hey, if he's pursuing his original love, more power to him.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
That was a comment he left on Facebook amongst his FB friends toward the original D2 Team Blizzard North's leadership's feedback on the piss-poor reception of Diablo 3.

It was such an absurd overreaction, too. Brevik's quotes in that article are totally benign and pretty much just "if I was making it I would have done some things differently" and Wilson and co acted like he shit on their floors or something.

Anoregon

Wait, he led on WoD? This explains so god damn much.

He wasn't the lead on WoD, I'm not sure where Enter the Dragon Punch got that idea.
The Wiki lists these folks as the main dudes:

Director(s) Tom Chilton
Alex Afrasiabi

Designer(s) Cory Stockton
Ion Hazzikostas
Brian Holinka
Chadd Nervig

He may have worked on it, but he wasn't in a high-level position.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
He was also transferred to Project Titan MMO

Then it got cancelled.

Yeahhhh...

watch the Gamespot deep dive on Overwatch. My guess is he isn't even 1% the cause of failure for Titan. Titan was like 100 buckets of sourdough that eventually overgrew the buckets, then the house, then the street, and no recovering from it.

IceMarker

I respected Jay a lot until that unfortunate Facebook post he made. Either way, 10 years at Blizzard is nothing to scoff at and I hope he has good luck post-Blizzard.

Thankfully Josh Mosqueira and his team came in and fixed most of his design decisions.

He wasn't the lead on WoD, I'm not sure where Enter the Dragon Punch got that idea.
The Wiki lists these folks as the main dudes:

He may have worked on it, but he wasn't in a high-level position.

Oh. Also, to be fair, my main gripes with WoD were its post launch support & end-game activities, not the main leveling components & quest line - I actually really enjoyed that part.

Best of luck to Jay Wilson in the future. You may have almost ruined Diablo, but at least you got to become an internet meme.

Arkeband

Banned
It was such an absurd overreaction, too. Brevik's quotes in that article are totally benign and pretty much just "if I was making it I would have done some things differently" and Wilson and co acted like he shit on their floors or something.

I can kind of understand him taking criticism personally, but I'll never be able to understand Jay's moronic game design decisions.

My favorite one, on the original insane Torment difficulty:

“Internally, we had this super hardcore test group – we’ve got a lot of hardcore players at Blizzard – that tested Inferno, and we got it to the point where they thought it was challenging enough,” Blizzard’s Jay Wilson told IGN.

“Then we doubled it. Because we knew, no matter how good we are, our players are gonna be better. We focused on making that as difficult as we could make it.”

For a game people were slowly realizing was completely fucked as they approached their 40th hour without a single legendary drop (legendaries which were total dogshit anyway), commentary like this basically proved to everyone that this guy had locked the doors to the cockpit and was flying in circles.

Top Bottom