• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir |OT| Second Revision

Moonlight

Banned
Sat down and I've been playing this game for the past two hours. In love with it. Totally gorgeous, mechanically rewarding, and the story is pretty interesting so far. And I just really, really love the framing device for it all. More than the story being told as if it were a book, the fact it feels like you're diving into a fantastical historical record getting excerpts of history from very biased spectators and little addendums in crinkled note paper is just super cool to me.

Had to swap out English voices almost immediately, though. I should love the cast on paper (serious faves of mine like Strassman and Stephanie Sheh on board) but the voice direction just doesn't do it justice at all. Rife with some awkward line reads and the incidental characters almost universally sound pretty bad.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Aside from the story and basic assets being the same, this feels like an entirely new game... the skill tree, the combos, the multitude of new animations. It's crazy. I don't remember having this much fun playing Gwendolyn at all.

Got my amazon story book edition in today, I usually don't play japanese games but enjoying this so far. Feels very anime-ish to me, but the combat is fun. Never played the original.

Some people were saying the regular vita version from amazon came with an art book, I dunno if its the same one as the story book or a different one? Steel book is beautiful though.

Had to swap out English voices almost immediately, though. I should love the cast on paper (serious faves of mine like Strassman and Stephanie Sheh on board) but the voice direction just doesn't do it justice at all. Rife with some awkward line reads and the incidental characters almost universally sound pretty bad.

Is this a thing everyone should do? I'm playing with English and it sounds fine to me, dunno if I really want to read subtitles all the time.

Hard mode is kicking my butt out of nowhere.

The airship in Gwen's part kicked my ass for a little while. So far Hard has been a nice level of difficulty throughout.

Game is really fun so far. I'm playing on hard and I have noticed the combat does get more difficult and not as spammy, especially with bosses. I just notice some slowdown though even on PS4.

I've been noticing slowdown as well on PS4. Even from the beginning where I just smacked a bunch of fruit at once there was slowdown. It mostly keeps at a nice 60 but man can it dip.

Copper

Game is really fun so far. I'm playing on hard and I have noticed the combat does get more difficult and not as spammy, especially with bosses. I just notice some slowdown though even on PS4.

careksims

Just got my CE today and damn I love it. Also the box came in unscathed. Happy about that.

Definitely plays much better than the PS2 version. I hope they bring Dragon's Crown the PS4 too.

Anony

do we know what the difference between the ps3 and ps4 version (other than 1080p i guess)
i'm guessing both runs at 60fps, it's hard to imagine the ps3 doesnt run at 60fps as well

Copper

That's surprisingly little. But considering the maximum disc capacity available when this game first came out..

It's about normal when you consider it's in 2D. There's quite a lot of voice acting though and I'm glad to see dual audio. The English voices seem decent. The game seems really polished.

Man, Cornelius is so broken it's not even funny.

Take an overload, do one of the big status effect potions on the boss, use something that recovers POW quickly, and kill the boss easily with little risk. His air juggling against a boss is beast.

Sat down and I've been playing this game for the past two hours. In love with it. Totally gorgeous, mechanically rewarding, and the story is pretty interesting so far. And I just really, really love the framing device for it all. More than the story being told as if it were a book, the fact it feels like you're diving into a fantastical historical record getting excerpts of history from very biased spectators and little addendums in crinkled note paper is just super cool to me.

With regard to the English voices, did they say whether they were staying with the original dub recordings or rerecording?

manfestival

tried the demo and was really interested in the game ages ago when it originally got released but I got distracted by grim grimoire and never got around to it

my only concern is about how long this game lasts and also the replayability if it is short

Im sorry but I've played and watched my fair share of bad dubs, and this isn't one of them. The story is structured like a play, complete with monologues, and they're doing a fine job as such. I'm two characters in and I haven't found a point, npcs aside, where the VA left any more to desire.

And I just came from valkyria chronicles, which I definitely had to switch to Japanese
tried the demo and was really interested in the game ages ago when it originally got released but I got distracted by grim grimoire and never got around to it

my only concern is about how long this game lasts and also the replayability if it is short
Well the first character took me 5-6 hours. And theres like 5 characters total. Each go through similar stages but have their own story.

Moonlight

Banned
Is this a thing everyone should do? I'm playing with English and it sounds fine to me, dunno if I really want to read subtitles all the time.
If you don't mind it, then you shouldn't swap.

Im sorry but I've played and watched my fair share of bad dubs, and this isn't one of them. The story is structured like a play, complete with monologues, and they're doing a fine job as such. I'm two characters in and I haven't found a point, npcs aside, where the VA left any more to desire.

And I just came from valkyria chronicles, which I definitely had to switch to Japanese
Eh, that's fair. Just not fond of how stilted individual line reads can sound and some inconsistent over-emphasis.

I don't know if our opinions on what makes for a weak dub are going to sync up though, since I really liked VC's dub, lol.

Ordered the PS4 version from Amazon but got impatient and double dipped on Vita. Glad for the cross-save since I'll be playing both.

Kremzeek

Just got my regular edition from Amazon- wow the art book is absolutely beautiful- it's a lot more extensive than I thought it would be, and there's a very touching foreword written by the devs.

I am so so impressed.

Snowballo

A few questions:

1. Is this game the same we will get in EU market at the end of the month? I think it is english/japanese only. If it is so, I could import it right now from Us. I'm talking about Ps Vita version

2. Is the artbook version still available on Amazon.com?

3. I've played both Muramasa and Dragon's Crown (beated both). They are awesome in the look but after a few hours they I get bored doing the same stuff over and over again. What about this one?

Thanks.

Skulldead

Just hit chapter 3 with the first chart on hard, weird difficulty curve, got destroy at a mini boss, i don't know why but i think the game will become pretty hard much later, the difficulty curve seem to increase in a insane rate...

The game is way better then my memory on the ps2, actually my only memory on Ps2 was the slowdown fight of the last boss of the Valkyries... this was one of the most insulting thing i ever experience in a game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If I ranked the characters who's fun to play with:

Cornelius >= Velvet > Gwendolyn >> Mercedes >>>>> Oswald

Oswald's damages are weak IMO, and his shadow form is difficult to maneuver when it comes to flying/elevated bosses.

Skulldead

If I ranked the characters who's fun to play with:

Cornelius >= Velvet > Gwendolyn >> Mercedes >>>>> Oswald

Oswald's damages are weak IMO, and his shadow form is difficult to maneuver when it comes to flying/elevated bosses.

They probably Nerf it, i remember in the Ps2 version he was op as hell, i breeze his campaign...

Meffer

Played the demo, not too sure what to think of it - enjoy the art style, combat is pretty cool, but it feels like it could get very repetitive - the "rooms" all seem to be of a similar size and layout, without much exploration.

Is the demo representative of the final game? Is there a good story holding it all together or not?
The story is pretty good. Exploration is more or less what the demo is, except it doesn't have secret rooms or having find keys to progress certain rooms. Combat is really good.
The art, story and presentation are the real stars here.

I was worried about difficulty as well. Hard is nice. Bosses can and will two shot you if you get careless. Also, they are not total pushovers, so you can use your full array of attacks and barely put a dent in their hitpoints. Only up to chapter 4 before I called it a night.

BiggNife

So I should probably play this on Hard, right?

The demo was fun but felt like an absolute cakewalk. You could beat the boss without dodging at all.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Wow, the refined mode feels more like Muramasa than Odin Sphere classic. As Gwen, I am just unloading big combos and juggles without much effort. Also not having to concern over exp souls disappearing or planting pre-battle to ensure seed growth when enemies die really changes the dynamic of the game entirely. I suppose it can feel a less strategic but FAR less tedious.

The demo was fun but felt like an absolute cakewalk. You could beat the boss without dodging at all.

Only about three hours in so far, but Gwen's story hasn't been too difficult on Hard. In many ways I feel it could have been more challenging and is more equivalent to what 'normal' should probably be. Enemies rarely actually block or interrupt, thus so long as you are agile and watch for large incoming attacks you can literally juggle combo most fights to S-rank(I easily got the all S-ranks trophy on Act 2 without any hassle on a single attempt). That said, it may get more challenging later?

N° 2048

Demo is fantastic, I usually do not play demos over and over. Never played this game before, art and music are gorgeous.

Tough decision on whether to buy or not and then Vita or PS4? hmmm

If this was cross buy I would have already bought it.

Im playing on normal and also had an easy time in the demo. Imho for the most part it's been a cakewalk but some bosses and challenges have been fairly hard and I had to repeat them. But it's largely because the levels required are high as fuck compared to what you come in with.

If you don't mind it, then you shouldn't swap.

Eh, that's fair. Just not fond of how stilted individual line reads can sound and some inconsistent over-emphasis.

I don't know if our opinions on what makes for a weak dub are going to sync up though, since I really liked VC's dub, lol.
The way the lines are delivered in the cutscenes felt unnatural. In this game it's a play so it makes sense, but in VC it's structured like an Anime in a war time setting and it doesn't have the strongest writing to begin with since it's extremely cheesy. And having played lots of war games, not to mention watched some great War movies, everything in the story felt weird so I switched to the original Japanese voices. The English was fine for all of the non story bits though.

Pejo

Man it feels like this is taking way longer to get out of Gwen's storyline than it did on the PS2 version. I played for another 2 hours last night and am still only halfway through chapter 5.

Though, this time I am leveling up a lot, and exploring every nook and cranny for prisms, so I see why it's taking a bit longer. The combat is just so good, and I feel like the difficulty is right where it should be now (playing hard). That airship mid-boss was an unexpected spike in difficulty until you learn how to maneuver (and to block the missiles).

I'm going to power through the rest of Gwen's story after I get home tonight and see if I can unlock Cornelius. (I think that's who's next, been a long time since I played this).

Is there a breakdown somewhere of the characters' chapters to see how many there are between character unlocks?

Top Bottom