• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice (Gyakuten Saiban 6) Import Thread | , not

GSR

dQzkOqC.png

A new Ace Attorney game, a new import thread with cropped key art as the only image.

As always, be considerate and tag your spoilers with where you are in the game! Eg. (case 2 finale)
Wow, I can't believe we had to watch "The Guitar's Serenade" 30 times on loop again!

Summary said:
Phoenix goes to a foreign country and Apollo does stuff, I guess.

Case one: Phoenix is traveling in the mystic country of Khura'in! Where attorneys are outlawed. Also there's a revolution brewing. Also his tour guide was just arrested. Good job, Phoenix.
Case two: Trucy finally gets the requisite Ace Attorney Assistant Murder Charge leveled at her. Apollo and Athena set out to prove her innocence and try to avoid a 4-3 repeat despite the presence of Ema and stage magic.
Case three: Maya's back! And she's arrested for murder. Again. Just get out there and get this over with, Phoenix.
Case four: ██████████████████████████████ Blackquill takes to the bench ███████████████████████ behind the scenes?
Case five: Apollo and Phoenix face off ████████████████████████████████ a certain piece of evidence █████████████████████ the truth behind this "revolution".
DLC case (June 30th): Larry claims he's getting married - but the bride disagrees. That and she says she can travel through time, and she's a murder suspect. Phoenix, you're up to bat.

I will once again be streaming the game at http://www.hitbox.tv/boltgsr, starting at 8 AM PT on release day (aka the minute it's up on the eShop) and then in the evening the rest of the week, for anyone interested.

Happy(?) objections, all!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Pretty excited for the game, will be grabbing it tomorrow after work.
Supposedly it's around 30 hours long.

Aeana

I hate that I'm so behind on this series just because AA4 had a case that bored me enough to stop playing. The gap continues to grow.

Shun

Picking this up on the eShop later.

Kirihito and Kyouya cameo are DLC or preorder right? I've been trying to stay in the dark for the most part before playing the game.

GSR

Picking this up on the eShop later.

Kirihito and Kyouya cameo are DLC or preorder right? I've been trying to stay in the dark for the most part before playing the game.

Kyouya is in one of the preorder mini-eps. Kirihito's never showing up again, let's be honest here

Download version is ready. I'll most likely only see the intro at release, download the pre-order DLC and then wait a few before playing.
Still got a fair bit to do before I can actually go through this one.

aravuus

What the fuck lol, I didn't even know this is a thing. I think the second Edgeworth game is the only one in the series I haven't finished, but I might replay the main series before this releases in Europe. Just in case.

Hoping for some positive impressions!

Shun

Also nice thread title GSR. It reminds me of when they first revealed the trailer and we were shocked that Kurain was mentioned and it ended up being "Not Kurain".

Looking forward to starting this when I get the chance to see how little or much Akane and Yugami has changed after the events of 4 and 5.

jonno394

I hate that I'm so behind on this series just because AA4 had a case that bored me enough to stop playing. The gap continues to grow.

That happened to me as well, but I bought Dual Destinies in the eu sale a couple of weeks back and I'm up to chapter 5 and honestly don't think I've missed out on much by not finishing 4.

dity

That cover art gets me pumped. And the 6 is a magatama? Excellent.

Still need to finish AA5. Case 2 is kill.

takoyaki

My copy is pre-loaded on 3DS.

Over the last year, I've been playing through the whole mainline series for the first time and I'm near the end of AA4, so AA5 is up next for me. But this one looks very intriguing, I always liked the mystical parts of cases that involved Mayoi, especially AA3-5 and the case in Kurain Village where you meet Harumi.

Really curious for some impressions though, The Great Ace Attorney was fantastic and I hope they can keep up that quality.

Oh wow. They're actually going to deliver on Thursday. Neat.

Wait, not neat because I won't be there to sign for it. Time to gamble and see if Fedex will randomly prevent me from customizing my delivery to sign online / hold at a Fedex location! Wonderful! They blocked Kirby Robobot but not with SRW Z3! Why? Who knows! They're wacky like that.

Edit: Yay! They let me sign for it! Happy Thursday!

I'll keep an eye on this thread as I am looking forward to impressions and how people feel it stacks up against the rest of the series.

spiritfox

Also nice thread title GSR. It reminds me of when they first revealed the trailer and we were shocked that Kurain was mentioned and it ended up being "Not Kurain".

Looking forward to starting this when I get the chance to see how little or much Akane and Yugami has changed after the events of 4 and 5.

I wonder if they'll keep Kurain as the name in the English version. Maybe they'll change the spelling.

FUCK FUCK FUCK.

I'm in the court section of chapter 5 of Dai Gyakuten. I'm gonna have to marathon it if I wanna start 6 today.

Happy Ace Attorney day!

GSR

Gotta wait until Friday for my copy...

Please don't show the killer at the start of case 2 again, game.

Just finished the first case. They don't show the killer at the start of 2 this time.

Decent first case! Nothing extraordinary, and I noticed there's a lot of dialogue where you don't do anything, probably because this is the case where they have to explain all the Khurain customs/etc.

Just finished the first case. They don't show the killer at the start of 2 this time.

That's good. Granted it looks like a really short list of suspects though.
"I need to get to the bottom of this rabbit's hole. ...Wait! I meant--"

For me personally, Ace Attorney should have stopped after the first trilogy. Apollo Justice, the Edgeworth game and Dual Destinies fele subpar and boring. Haven't played the Phoenix and Layton game but heard people were disappointed too.

takoyaki

Couldn't resist, so I checked out the first 15min of AA6. I just love how this series transitioned to 3DS, the animated cutscenes are top-notch and the in-game 3D models are animated in such a charming way; It's a real shame that there will probably never be a Ghost Trick 2 using this tech.

For me personally, Ace Attorney should have stopped after the first trilogy. Apollo Justice, the Edgeworth game and Dual Destinies fele subpar and boring. Haven't played the Phoenix and Layton game but heard people were disappointed too.

Layton fans will tell you that it's too much of an AA game, AA fans will tell you the exact opposite. But it's a great gateway game imo, it got me interested in checking out the AA series again after it didn't click for me years ago. And I imagine that it might work the other way round for AA fans, as long as they aren't too put off by the very Layton-esque ending.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Go away Edgeworth

Your cameo in AA5 was enough

GSR

Case two done. On the one hand, I liked it a lot and (case 2 general)
so much AA4 connection, holy shit
. On the other hand, the pacing is fucked. Here's a tip: just save and take a break when you feel like it. Don't try to play to "the end of this segment."

There was also one really eye-rolling otaku trope moment.

Shun

Just finished case one. On one hand Bokuto is pretty annoying for a kid, on the other hand Potdino is the greatest case one character in the series.

Still don't know what to think about Reifa's in game model.

Reibai Vision is pretty interesting so far I guess.

GSR, should screen shots or any pictures taken be salted and not hotlink?

Link1110

FUCK FUCK FUCK.

I'm in the court section of chapter 5 of Dai Gyakuten. I'm gonna have to marathon it if I wanna start 6 today.

Happy Ace Attorney day!
Im almost at the end of case 3 of aa5. I got the big thing spoiled for me but id still likr to finish the game before i play 6.

The professor just went into spartan mode, hes like a funny matt engarde.

ポイント
森済は犯人
先生は無罪

Link1110

Just bought the game so i can start it when im ready, but how do i get the dlc case free? Eshop says i have to buy from within the game. Do i need to beat the first case or something?

Figured it out, but I was into the first case so I may as well finish it at this point. And
Payne/Ouch
just became one of the series biggest assholes
I'm gonna end your perfect win record (case 2-4 doesn't count apparently) and punish you for beating mw and my brother by tricking you into GETTING YOURSELF KILLED

Got my copy and beat Case 1. And...

I hated it. I really, really did.

The case was just way too predictable and boring with no interesting twists or anything that made me feel "cornered". Nearly everything I guessed turned out to be correct,
there's an urn with a sacred treasure that no one is allowed to see? It's either been stolen already or it never existed. He has a different guitar in the picture...So that's the murder weapon then. Looking at this urn for anything suspicious and since this game's imagery is pushing the butterfly really hard, let's look at the butterfly picture...well that's where the key is supposed to go

There's also too many inconsistencies and possible plotholes.
I had guitars growing up. I played them and my brother played them. You'd have to swing them pretty fucking hard to kill someone. Cut skin and require stitches, sure, but killing? How did Bokuto not hear that guitar smash into Miima's head? Why did rock star put the gun back into Miima's holster? How did blood from a head wound to the back of the skull splash over the urn that Miima was holding to his chest based on the handprint on it?

What really got me though was the writing. Holy shit does this stuff meander and take its time before saying anything I could give a rat's ass about. And it repeats the same bits of garbage dialogue so many times!
"Kill the lawyers! We hate lawyers! Boooooo!"
"Your life depends on this lawyer!"
"We will cut out your tongue lawyer"
"Get the tongue cutting scissors!
"Looks like I get to keep my tongue"
"Oh no! I bit my tongue"
"Are you ready to lose your tongue?"
SHUT UP AND GET TO THE GODDAMN POINT!!
I was leery of the game's premise from the get-go because not only was it over-the-top preposterous but I knew it was going to create an atmosphere where Phoenix is the only sane person in a country of idiots. I have zero desire to help fix anything going on with this country and I have no sympathy whatsoever to them or whatever "Lawyer Hitler" did to them. They have killed --not imprisoned, KILLED who knows how many innocent people through their Witch Trials. The entire case was literally every character telling me what a horrible person I was for using actual reasoning and having the slightest bit of human decency instead of believing a spoiled 14 year old brat. It was like being trapped in a room with flat-Earthers, Trump supporters, and NRA nuts who think Obama's a secret Muslim. Out of control ignorance and stupidity. And why is Phoenix bluffing at every statement? He looked completely incompetent.

Sorry for the rant but wow that was a terrible start to the game, I never want to play this case again.

But on to things I liked. The music is fantastic and full of energy. Dai Gyakuten Saiban made great use of the location's and era's music using harpsichords, accordions, violins, and brass and this game is delivering a very atmospheric and almost surreal soundtrack. It reminds me a lot of Breath of Fire 4's OST. Animations are again amazing to watch, and while I prefer DGS's pure motion capture work, AA6's animations feel like the original sprites made solid with a lot of movement and personality. It's like watching a cartoon, and they're bringing in motion capture moments too. The killer was the highlight of this case. I've always thought that if a villain exists primarily to give conflict, make them entertaining and this person was hilarious. They talked shit to you the entire time
literally called Phoenix, in English, "Shit. Shit. Shit. You are shit. Liar Lawyer! Death to the lawyer!!" With an electric guitar! That was awesome!
and was so much fun to watch this person's antics. I know that sounds odd after just stating how much I hated the dialogue droning on about how everyone wants Phoenix to die, but what made it different with this killer was just how in your face and absurd they were while doing it that it was hysterical.

Maybe I had bad luck with this case because I figured out everything far earlier than I should have so the wait until I could present that was more noticeable, but I'm turning on text skip and I'm gonna abuse it next time I'm with Phoenix. Fingers crossed for Case 2.

I'm calling the head revolutionary Dork, and there's nothing that will make me stop.

GSR

Yeah, that's why I said case 1 was just decent in my book. There was some entertaining stuff in it, but there was a lot of meaningless "baaaaaah lawyers are terrible" dialogue. It's slightly better in case 3 (I just finished the first trial there) but not a lot better.

Speaking of which, case 3! It's a decent setup but I gotta say the first court day felt like a wash. I pieced together about 90% of what was going on before we got there in court and then most of that 90% turned out to be (at least at the moment) irrelevant anyway. It got interesting at the end but mostly by dint of what feels like the writers throwing developments at the wall. Hoping the second day is better.

I like the seancés though. It's actually a pretty fun system for finding contradictions, though occasionally selecting the statement to go with the image feels a little extraneous.

Masked Man

I said wow
Sagawa sucks and refuses to deliver my copy at a time when I'm actually at home. :/ Hoping to get my hands on it tonight!

Link1110

I just finished the first case, and while the beating around the bush was annpying and the case felt a lpt longer than it had to be. The culprit made this case. I second everythong abovr aboit how he was hilarious. And also phoenix back to being phoenix made this feel like the old games in a way and that managing to come through past some of the crap was really nice.

Though that bit of Payne character assassination i mentioned above was a bit much.
has anyone other than von karma ever tried to flat out kill phoenix?

ビコーズ シット!シット!シット!アーンド!シット!

GSR

I just finished the first case, and while the beating around the bush was annpying and the case felt a lpt longer than it had to be. The culprit made this case. I second everythong abovr aboit how he was hilarious. And also phoenix back to being phoenix made this feel like the old games in a way and that managing to come through past some of the crap was really nice.

Though that bit of Payne character assassination i mentioned above was a bit much.
has anyone other than von karma ever tried to flat out kill phoenix?

Yeah that's the thing about this game thus far, it's got this weird obsession with driving the stakes up. In case 1
Payne tricks Phoenix into putting his neck on the line and then they keep referring executions and torture throughout
and in case 2
the agency will go under if they lose the case and the media will drag their names through the mud
. It feels... I dunno, unnecessary? Like they're putting up a giant sign labeled STAKES.

Link1110

Also about when the person starts playing the guitar, that music sounded right out of a mega man game, to the poibt where i wonder if some of tjose instrument samples were the same ones used in jet stingray's stage

Finished case 2. Much better, but still rough.

And long. Very, very, very long. This is seeming to be a consistent issue with the game that the writing just isn't efficient. You can accomplish just as much without all the fluff. But thankfully it wasn't obnoxiously redundant and condescending like Case 1, just long-winded, and wasn't full of characters I wanted to slug.

Nayuta's a decent prosecutor but it felt like he vanished during the last third or so of the case. He still dishes out the pious attitude but it isn't the only thing he says like you get with Rayfa. He does the job without being annoying but he's not really entertaining either although I am very curious about his relationship with Apollo. I just hope that it's not a carbon copy of Phoenix and Edgeworth.

The murder was decently complex but I felt a lot of the logic paths didn't have a natural flow. We get a premise or a problem but we solve it backwards for some reason. Like at the start of the trial
Apollo argues that the murder might have been committed under the stage, but does so with no evidence and no contradiction of the theory that the murder was done on the stage when Trucy stabbed the coffin and we just run with it.
Sadly there were still a number of things that were easy to guess but had to wait a long time before it came up so that killed the tension for a fair chunk of the game
as soon as you see the video the first time and that the victim had a hook for a wire, it was obvious that the pulleys were used either to move the body or to kill the guy, so anything involving "who was where" didn't matter because the mechanisms were automated. The first thing I thought was he got pulled into the ceiling and hit Mr. Hat's sword which wasn't far off
. The biggest thing that got me annoyed was a big dramatic moment near the mid point of the trial
where you get that video of Menyo filming himself and I'm literally screaming at my DS "The scars. Point out the scars! Someone point out the scars!!"

Villain sucked. Good motive but really boring in design and performance. And why did we need the subplot of
we're gonna lose the farm! I mean agency!
? That didn't add anything and defending Trucy is plenty of reason for a plot and tension. Please don't tell me this game is going to lionize the Gramyere Troupe. All of them were terrible, selfish people in different ways.

The game would be going a lot better if they just tightened the script and respected the player's time a bit more. The cases aren't terrible or nonsensical like big offenders 2-3 and 4-3, but they aren't utilizing their resources. It makes me sad because the concepts are creative and I love how they keep expanding the gameplay mechanics while still feeling like natural extensions of what we're familiar with. Just stop taking so long to get to the decent material.

Ema is life.

Link1110

I just started case 2, but im guessing from columbo logic that the murderer is the guy that looks just like robert downey jr

Masked Man

I said wow

Just got to that part. Had me rolling!

Finished Case 3.

That. Was. AWESOME!!

Fantastic. One of the best. Really complicated, so many twists, a ton of feels, and an incredible ending. Oh my god that was so good. Writing isn't "amazing" but it's respecting my time a lot more now.

Maybe I was being a little too hard on the game since I was guessing things too early and getting them right. That happens a lot in the series already but I think what was getting on my nerves with this game was that the things I guessed turned out to be the big "reveal" so to speak, which makes the rest of the case not that exciting. But that is a subjective experience. No two people have the same reaction to the same puzzle. The writing and dialogue in the first two cases are still terrible and take too much time to say anything of value while Phoenix's dialogue just doesn't seem natural. He's not confident and spends a lot of his time taking potshots at the witnesses.

Still, game is doing a lot better. It might be like AA1 where the beginning is terrible but picks up at the halfway point.

case 4 is literally "insert case here"

Please tell me it's a court only case. I was hoping to finish this before going to work on Monday...

GSR

Finished Case 3.

That. Was. AWESOME!!

Fantastic. One of the best. Really complicated, so many twists, a ton of feels, and an incredible ending. Oh my god that was so good. Writing isn't "amazing" but it's respecting my time a lot more now.

Maybe I was being a little too hard on the game since I was guessing things too early and getting them right. That happens a lot in the series already but I think what was getting on my nerves with this game was that the things I guessed turned out to be the big "reveal" so to speak, which makes the rest of the case not that exciting. But that is a subjective experience. No two people have the same reaction to the same puzzle. The writing and dialogue in the first two cases are still terrible and take too much time to say anything of value while Phoenix's dialogue just doesn't seem natural. He's not confident and spends a lot of his time taking potshots at the witnesses.

Still, game is doing a lot better. It might be like AA1 where the beginning is terrible but picks up at the halfway point.

Please tell me it's a court only case. I was hoping to finish this before going to work on Monday...

Re, length:
case 4 is court only.
It's pretty much "oops, we forgot to give
Athena
something to do." It's a weird comedown after the end of case 3.

I liked case 3's second day but even as I was playing it the first day felt kinda meaningless and it turned out it mostly was, so that kinda soured the overall case in my book.

GSR

Played the first few hours of case 5 on the plane.
Finally, a civil trial! Granted that lasts about 20 minutes before Phoenix brings up a murder charge, but it's a fun change of pace.

Top Bottom