• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABZU gameplay impressions

kyser73

I'd make the bold game that ABZU is one of the most visually impressive games I saw at E3, even compared to the AAA games from huge development teams coming out in a years time. Just watching some of the real time shoal animations as the fish react as a whole and better yet, still act as individual fish, each piece reacting in its own way. When the diver rides the shark through that huge wall of fish and its twisting and warping all around them. That is some CRAZY looking stuff. I could see myself doing that for hours just to see the fish move. If the devs ever read this thread, BRAVO!

I don't think it's a bold claim at all!

It has a gorgeous art style, coupled with what is clearly some amazing tech, from animal AI to the renderer being able to display all those fish.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Looks incredible as usual. One thing I really like is how large the flippers on the diver are.

Humdinger

Is the name inspired/based on the Japanese Fishermen god? Ebsu?

"The Abzu also called engur, literally, ab='ocean' zu='deep', was the name for the primeval sea below the void space of the underworld (Kur) and the earth (Ma) above..... Lakes, springs, rivers, wells, and other sources of fresh water were thought to draw their water from the abzu."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abzu

Sounds like it's Sumerian.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I can see myself just swimming around idly grabbing onto big fish or just floating through huge swirling schools of fish for hours on end.

Should be great in VR...

Maybe even have a few drinks, pop the headset on...should be a calming mood enhancer.

During the PS1 era we got the likes of Treasures of the Deep, Fluid and Aquanaut's Holiday, and it was awesome! I love games like those. But that whole genre or whatever you want to call it has dried up big time. Endless Ocean on the Wii was nice though. Shame Sony couldn't even be bothered to localise the PS3 installment of Aquanaut's Holiday for western regions.

Sorry, very fragmented thoughts. I'm just grateful for ABZU's existence.

Albeit looking forward for Abzu I would have preferred a more realistic diving game (not a technical sim of course) similar to Everblue or Endless Ocean.

Top Bottom