• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announced Radeon RX460 and RX470 (June 29)

dr_rus

Just now at E3's PC Gaming Show

DMSb.jpg

Late rumor: AMD announces Radeon RX 470 and RX 460:

EMSb.png

From Anandtech:
As you can assume from the numbers, the RX 470 and RX 460 will slot in below the $199 RX 480. AMD’s press release specifically notes that the RX 470 is a “refined, power-efficient HD gaming” card. Whereas the RX 460 is a “a cool and efficient solution for the ultimate e-sports gaming experience.” These are no further details such as performance, specifications, or pricing, so this is a true teaser in every sense of the word.

Based on their admittedly short descriptions, it sounds like the RX 470 and RX 460 will slot in to very similar positions as the R7 370 and R7 360 respectively, as these are the same markets AMD pitched those cards at. This would make the RX 470 a budget 1080p card, while RX 460 is pitched specifically at MOBA players and the like, as those games have relatively low system requirements. Lower-end cards of this nature have also proven very popular in China, where MOBAs are especially popular and the pricing is better aligned with what most consumers can afford.

For what it’s worth, those cards launched at $149 and $109 respectively, so that may give us a ballpark idea of what to expect. Note that AMD only has two Polaris chips – the larger Polaris 10 and the smaller Polaris 11 – so it’s not clear how AMD may split these up. Historically, Radeon x60 cards have been based on chips that have been prevalent in smaller, mid-performance laptops.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm on mobile and can't catch the conference--what are these like in terms of price and specs and what are their comparables on the nVidia side?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
damn how much are those cards going to cost if the 480 is $200 for the base model?

bomblord1

Banned
Literally just held up the cards and said "this is it" and the only idea of power we got was regarding the 460 "This was designed for esports"

kuYuri

I don't know about specs, but I imagine since they are the latest R7 360/R7 370 equivalent, they should be between $100 to $200.

480 is nowhere near being enough for 1440p

All early indicators would suggest its meets or exceeds 980 or 390X level performance which is definitely good enough for 1440p

Edit: Assuming early benchmarks are accurate then this 200 USD card can run all high end VR experiences currently available as well.

Skux

Everyone and their mother can build a great multiplayer gaming PC for like $400 now. And that'll keep you going on LoL and CS:Go and Overwatch for years. Crazy awesome.

Lisa presented the 480 470 and 460 as being "the full polaris lineup" which would mean that there is in fact no 490.
490 will likely be the entry level Vega Product. Or they just stick with the Fury and Fury X replacements which will be the mid-tier and high-end on the enthusiast line. I hope they revive the Rage branding

Rage and Rage X with HBM2.

Edit: oh and the ultra high end product will be a dual vega single card solution.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They should be nice for HTPC upgrades. Hope they arent too long for my case.

Elven_Star

Should I skip PS4K and build a PC around RX480/470 instead? Why are there so many options suddenly? Gaming life used to be much simpler. *angry*

Durante

What? That's perfectly fine for 1440p 60fps in pretty much every modern game today. You shouldn't worry about not getting "full" or "max" settings.
I play modern games on an OC'd 970 on a 1440p screen, and even if you disregard inordinately performance-heavy settings it still struggles to reach 60 FPS in quite a few of them. By a margin that I don't see the RX480 closing.

But no matter, we will have lots of benchmarks in a few weeks.

Bl@de

Wait a second. The 480 for 199$ is only 4GB? Buuuuh.

But well, who am I kidding. I'm not dropping Nvidia anyway. NV Inspector with SGSSAA/HBAO+ injection is far too important for me :( And I don't see an equivalent on AMD (downsampling is no help, old games like Vampire: Masquerade -Bloodlines and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. don't have scalable UIs. 4k makes everything unreadable)

Lkr

when will amd give actually performance information? i would have expected them to demo something on it and show a good benchmark or two

Top Bottom