• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announced Radeon RX460 and RX470 (June 29)

I play modern games on an OC'd 970 on a 1440p screen, and even if you disregard inordinately performance-heavy settings it still struggles to reach 60 FPS in quite a few of them. By a margin that I don't see the RX480 closing.

But no matter, we will have lots of benchmarks in a few weeks.

Hmm, I don't really have much of a problem getting at least 60fps on my not overclocked 290X at 1440p. Though recently I have been playing most games on my 1080p high refresh rate monitor so I can get 100+ fps.
Then again I don't have many graphics heavy recent games.

chronomac

Lot of people making big, loud statements without any benchmarks to back them up.

Wait until we have more info and then shout.

Durante

Hmm, I don't really have much of a problem getting at least 60fps on my not overclocked 290X at 1440p. Though recently I have been playing most games on my 1080p high refresh rate monitor so I can get 100+ fps.
Then again I don't have many graphics heavy recent games.
An overclocked 290X is actually > 6 TFlops.

FrsDvl

So 2 480s in crossfire would be pretty good, no? I'm going to build my own PC soon and that's what I was planning on doing.

I play modern games on an OC'd 970 on a 1440p screen, and even if you disregard inordinately performance-heavy settings it still struggles to reach 60 FPS in quite a few of them. By a margin that I don't see the RX480 closing.

I have to cut details slightly in some games in 1440p to keep 60+fps with overclocked 980ti.

It's really bull to say that if you can't lock 60fps suddenly something is not good enough.

Seriously people.

Lot of people making big, loud statements without any benchmarks to back them up.

Wait until we have more info and then shout.

90OlH.gif

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Ok, I might be getting one of these for a build I am doing for my kids. Was looking at a GTX 660 or 750 for them but will hold fast now.

And I thought AMD had my attention with the 480 for $199...they definitely have it now.

I said mine's not overclocked, even if I overclock it just a little I get artifacts in any graphically intense game, even if temps are fine. But, I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

you lost the silicon lottery. I can get my 390 up to 1200 in core without problems.

Mr.Mike

The 460 might be a really cool card, something you could put in some chap pre-built PC with a 300 watt PSU and be able to play some videogames. I can imagine it being very popular in some parts of the world as well. Of course we don't have any specs or benches for it yet.

The 470 seems like it's in a weird spot, since if you're going for a "proper" gaming PC then you'd just go for the 480 I'd think.

That's because it's a 970 trying to do 1440, no? AMD performance tends to scale better to higher resolutions.

ethomaz

Banned
All early indicators would suggest its meets or exceeds 980 or 390X level performance which is definitely good enough for 1440p

Edit: Assuming early benchmarks are accurate then this 200 USD card can run all high end VR experiences currently available as well.
Neither of these cards you listed are enough for 1440p.

There are 1080p cards like RX 480.

GTX 1070 is a card viable for 1440p.

If you think Crossfire is going to work you might as well but I'm skeptical it will.

I wish multi GPU was a thing that just worked.

I wanted to go with two 480's as well but I decided I'd rather not have one 480 and then a second one taking up space in my computer that is mostly decorative except for a small number of games that support Crossfire without frame pacing issues.

Hex

Banned
So safe to say that the 480 would be a nice step up from my current AMD Radeon(TM) HD R9 270 2GB GDDR5 ?

What do you have your 970 at Durante? I have the ASUS STRIX GTX 970 and using Asus GPU Tweak I am at:

GPU offset: 185 Mhz
Memory Offset: 812 Mhz
Voltage Offset: 38 mV
Fan Speed: 50%

Do you know if using different overclocking applications can result in different overclocks? Or does it all work out the same?

So before 1070 no one played at 1440p?

:eek:

Well assuming you wanted to hit high/ultra(extreme) settings you would have had a hard time with anything below a GTX 980. 1440p is nice, but it doesn't offer enough of an improvement over 1080p to warrant the loss of a locked 60 FPS a GTX 970 would give you for most games just to get the resolution increase.

I'm just speculating but I'm guessing that 460 will have roughly GTX 950 performance. (which was the card Nvidia marketed for mobas)

I really want something to replace my GTX 780 but until I see something that can give reliable 4K/60FPS for current titles I'm waiting this out. GSYNC makes it easier.

Genio88

480 is nowhere near being enough for 1440p

Again that depends, would you play at medium settings and 30fps? then yes it's enough for most games, you want ultra/high settings and perhaps over 30fps? nope you'll have to stick with 1080p
I've got a GTX 980 which is slightly faster than what the rx480 will/should be, and i that's my experience

Irobot82

Again that depends, would you play at medium settings and 30fps? then yes it's enough for most games, you want ultra/high settings and perhaps over 30fps? nope you'll have to stick with 1080p
I've got a GTX 980 which is slightly faster than what the rx480 will/should be, and i that's my experience

Dude I have a 7950 and I play med to high settings (usually a custom mix) with AA lately around the 2x mark and I can usually get around 40-60fps. That's the beauty of PC gaming.

Will the RX480 work for 1440p. Yes. Will you be able to turn all option to max and get 60fps. HELL NO. Can you get great Image Quality at 60fps I'm willing to bet you can.

Kieli

No one mentions 1440p and 4K at medium settings.

Because if that were the case, then the 970 and 980 could long do those resolutions at medium settings at 30 fps....

When we ask can this card do "1440p or 4k", we mean at 60fps/maxed settings.

Fularu

Banned
Probably getting a 480 8gb to replace my 970, which will go into the living room's HTPC.

Or I could grab both a 470 and a 480 and sell the nvidia cards I have (960 4gb and 970 4 gb, both iTX sized)

Top Bottom