• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announced Radeon RX460 and RX470 (June 29)

Jeff6851

If the 480 is sold out too quickly I'll try to grab the 8 GB 470 for $50 less. Not that interested in VR so I'll be alright.

Black_Red

Yeah, i just want to play at 1080p/60fps (not even on ultra) then a 470 should be enough. I know it doesnt have a big difference in price but I'm not sure if my PSU can handle the 480 (500W evga) and I cant wait until september for a 1060.

Renekton

Yeah, i just want to play at 1080p/60fps (not even on ultra) then a 470 should be enough right? (I know it doesnt have a big difference in price but I'm not sure if my PSU can handle the 480 500W evga and I cant wait until september for a 1060)
I think the PSU will have no issue with 480 (assuming you didn't stuff a bunch of other components to the PC), but wait for reviews to see full power load.

considering selling my 970 that I bought in March to replace with a 470 or a 480. I felt like I cheated on AMD buying this card and 4 and 8gb cards sound nice compared to the 3.5

Yoday

A 470 could be a really nice upgrade over my 2GB 760, especially at a mere $150. I don't game on my PC much anymore, but at that price I wouldn't mind having the option to play these upcoming Xbox Play Anywhere games at higher settings.

Jimrpg

Damn I missed this news last week.

This is huge for AMD... and no wonder their shares went up to $5.45.

I sold out at $4 after the console announcements, but they are really hitting the mainstream market hard.

I think this is really interesting because Nvidia's pascal cards aren't ready for mainstream 4k yet. 1080p however is really affordable now at $100-150 price point.

I'm struggling getting enough power for 1440p and I'd much rather I just get a 1080p monitor and card combo and save the dollars.

I'd like to get an aftermarket RX480 8GB but I'm guessing it's probably not going to be sufficient for 1440p gaming, would like to experience FreeSync gaming. Will await benchmarks.

Jaagen

It seems like the 470 isn't that far away from the 480 in terms of specs. Maybe I'll get the 8GB 470 and save a couple of dollars towards a CPU upgrade.

Jimrpg

index.php

Radeon RX 470 Benchmarks

Holy Moly guys... I think the 4gb RX470 will be the one to get. At least for a mainstream audience. 4gb is still decent for 1080p... obviously 8gb is way better, but if you're on a budget 4gb is fine for the next one or two years.

This thing is just a touch slower than a GTX 970 which is still a phenomenal 1080p card.

At $149 you could build a $500 PC thats way way better than any console and probably better than a Neo when that comes out. Perfect 2nd PC.

I'm doing it for Free-sync ma dude. Still it will likely be better than the 970 and have longer support than the 970 which will inevitably be forgotten by nVidia's in the coming months.

Personally I would have sold the 970 yesterday. They're still going for a decent amount of money on eBay that you'll only have to put in a small bit extra to get a 480 which will be a lot faster, 8GB memory, GCN 1.4 so much newer arch, DX12 benefits and even lower power consumption.

Personally I would have sold the 970 yesterday. They're still going for a decent amount of money on eBay that you'll only have to put in a small bit extra to get a 480 which will be a lot faster, 8GB memory, GCN 1.4 so much newer arch, DX12 benefits and even lower power consumption.

Waiting for the custom AIB's and the extra money I'd get isn't worth not being able to play games with my friends for a few weeks.

dr_rus

Most of this is actually not true at all. The biggest advantage of RX480 over the 970 is the 8GB versions of the former which even in the worst case scenario are unlikely to cost more than 970. GCN3 isn't "much newer" than Maxwell, DX12 "benefits" are present on 970 as well and lets wait for reviews before saying that 8GB RX480 will have less power consumption than 970, shall we?

All in all I'd say that 970->480 upgrade is a total waste of money. 970 owners should go for something faster than even an OCed 480.

Most of this is actually not true at all. The biggest advantage of RX480 over the 970 is the 8GB versions of the former which even in the worst case scenario are unlikely to cost more than 970. GCN3 isn't "much newer" than Maxwell, DX12 "benefits" are present on 970 as well and lets wait for reviews before saying that 8GB RX480 will have less power consumption than 970, shall we?

All in all I'd say that 970->480 upgrade is a total waste of money. 970 owners should go for something faster than even an OCed 480.

1. Don't understand the bolded at all.
2. Maxwell is close to 2 years old. Of course GCN 1.4/4.0 is newer than it. In computer hardware terms, Maxwell is old. How that isn't the case I don't know.
3. 970 will certainly be behind in DX12 titles compared to Polaris I'm willing to bet.
4. I wonder what you think of me - I sold a 980 and got so much money for it I can buy a 480 and make a profit. :)

The difference between a 970 and a 980 looks to be around 20%. A base clocked RX 480 looks like it'll perform in between those 2 cards. So at base clocks, you're looking at potentially a 10% performance increase for 229+ dollars, since you'll likely want the 8GB card.

If the RX 480 is the OC'ing God that some seem to think it is and can hit these 50%+ overclocks that are rumored from the depths of China, it might be a compelling offer, if it was still 229 dollars, another one of the rumors are the cards that can actually do this will be 300 dollar cards with 6+8 pin connectors. Anything outside of the RX 480 being said OC God and I can't see it being worth the money. I can see it being a little faster than a 980 with reasonable OC's, but that's still like 25-30% faster than a 970 for 229 dollars.

Furo

Thats some great pricing. Too bad I needed to build a new pc last month with a 970. Would have taken the 480 without another thought and save 150€:/

Caayn

4. I wonder what you think of me - I sold a 980 and got so much money for it I can buy a 480 and make a profit. :)
Same here. I sold my 980 for €400. If I get a 480 I'll (most likely) get a similar performance card with double the memory and put €150~€200 into my pocket.

dr_rus

1. Don't understand the bolded at all.
2. Maxwell is close to 2 years old. Of course GCN 1.4/4.0 is newer than it. In computer hardware terms, Maxwell is old. How that isn't the case I don't know.
3. 970 will certainly be behind in DX12 titles compared to Polaris I'm willing to bet.

1. What don't you understand? 8GB 480 should be on approximately the same performance level as a 970, give or take some 10%, and around the same price, and around the same power consumption. Thus the biggest advantage here is that you're getting more VRAM for the same money.

2. Maxwell may be close to being two years old but it looks to still be more advanced than GCN4 and it's still pretty much the same as Pascal which is less than a month old.

3. Do these titles include many of those sponsored by AMD by any chance?

4. I think that unless you've needed the money you've made a mistake and will likely be disappointed by what 480 will offer you. 980 is a very fast card with a good OC headroom, sidegrading from it to 480 makes little sense to me - I'm not going from my 980Ti to 1070 although that would be essentially the same thing.

The difference between a 970 and a 980 looks to be around 20%. A base clocked RX 480 looks like it'll perform in between those 2 cards. So at base clocks, you're looking at potentially a 10% performance increase for 229+ dollars, since you'll likely want the 8GB card.

If the RX 480 is the OC'ing God that some seem to think it is and can hit these 50%+ overclocks that are rumored from the depths of China, it might be a compelling offer, if it was still 229 dollars, another one of the rumors are the cards that can actually do this will be 300 dollar cards with 6+8 pin connectors. Anything outside of the RX 480 being said OC God and I can't see it being worth the money. I can see it being a little faster than a 980 with reasonable OC's, but that's still like 25-30% faster than a 970 for 229 dollars.

Fairy tales are sure nice. Also - $229 is for the reference, I'm betting that most cards will be OCed customs and will cost more than that. And 980 is less than 20% faster than 970.

ethomaz

Banned
No one mentions 1440p and 4K at medium settings.

Because if that were the case, then the 970 and 980 could long do those resolutions at medium settings at 30 fps....

When we ask can this card do "1440p or 4k", we mean at 60fps/maxed settings.
These are not cards for 1440p or 4k.
480 8G performance is supposed to be between GTX 970 and GTX 980.

Exactly what they said at computex. So that's good news. According to the article RUS linked this is not a paper launch so the prices should be MSRP. Anyone know when the first custom AIB's are set to be released? Is it also the 29th?
These are AMD reference cards only.

AIB will be released on mid july (rumor) with prices over $250 (RX 480 8GB).

They better have some Vega technologies in that thing (aside from HBM2 since it's probably still gonna be expensive).
Vega is Polaris plus HBM2.
So yes... Neo and Scorpio will have Vega/Polaris tech minus HBM2.

2304 Cuda Cores confirmed.

That was confirmed at Computex early June ;)

kami_sama

1. What don't you understand? 8GB 480 should be on approximately the same performance level as a 970, give or take some 10%, and around the same price, and around the same power consumption. Thus the biggest advantage here is that you're getting more VRAM for the same money.
Wait for reviews. But I think we've already concluded by leaks that it is at least better than a 970. Also it is cheaper (970 is 330€ here).
2. Maxwell may be close to being two years old but it looks to still be more advanced than GCN4 and it's still pretty much the same as Pascal which is less than a month old.
We don't know much about GCN4. Also it'll probably have better support than maxwell if we go by the performance "losses" of kepler.
3. Do these titles include many of those sponsored by AMD by any chance?
That's a fair point, but we won't be able to test it on DX12 games until more of them come out. Right now it's only Aots.
4. I think that unless you've needed the money you've made a mistake and will likely be disappointed by what 480 will offer you. 980 is a very fast card with a good OC headroom, sidegrading from it to 480 makes little sense to me - I'm not going from my 980Ti to 1070 although that would be essentially the same thing.
Performance could be worse, but heat and power consuption are still better. If the 480 can be OCd well, it's more like a sidestep.
Fairy tales are sure nice. Also - $229 is for the reference, I'm betting that most cards will be OCed customs and will cost more than that. And 980 is less than 20% faster than 970.
All we know is that the reference card is good. Not as good as an aib card, but better than most reference coolers.

Renekton

Thats some great pricing. Too bad I needed to build a new pc last month with a 970. Would have taken the 480 without another thought and save 150€:/
Well you saved yourself months of agonizing wait, including 1-2 months of retailer over-markup.

Just enjoy the games!

Rodin

Damn the 480 8GB and the 470 are insane value. I really hope they won't fuck up marketing, these things can sell a lot.

Scorpio
Neo
NX
Sounds about right for scorpio and neo, but i think the NX will use Nvidia. If they went with Polaris something based on the 460 is a safe bet though.

2304 Cuda Cores confirmed.
Lmao

They better have some Vega technologies in that thing (aside from HBM2 since it's probably still gonna be expensive).
I doubt it. That's the high end chip with HBM2.

dr_rus

Wait for reviews. But I think we've already concluded by leaks that it is at least better than a 970. Also it is cheaper (970 is 330€ here).
Is there any choice? 8) It'll be better than 970 obviously and may even be better than 980 on average but that's still "970's level of performance" as the +10% difference is hardly something visible in the real world. As for the cheaper - wait for the start of sales -)

We don't know much about GCN4. Also it'll probably have better support than maxwell if we go by the performance "losses" of kepler.
We know enough actually, there won't be many changes compared to GCN3. The biggest one is the support for HDR output obviously. The rest seems to be mostly power efficiency related and won't actually manifest as new features or significant speed ups.
Maxwell is Pascal, it's DX12 FL12_1, there's no reasons why it would suddenly turn into Kepler. Kepler's biggest issue isn't in "support", it's in it being a straight DX11 GPU which isn't very efficient on modern DX11+/DX12 console code. That's way less of a problem for Maxwell and Pascal.

Looking at those benchmarks and those specs it seems like the rx 470 is the real value card

the rx 480 is 53 percent more expensive and only has 15 percent better specs on paper, and 10 percent higher TFs

230dollars for 5.5 amd TF is a big fat MEH, but 150 dollars for 5TF is a lot better and pretty nice

This looks more like the hd4870 successor I wanted out of this generation of gpus and the jump to 16nm ff+

The 470 is the card I'd recommend to people looking to build a pc right now (assuming it really sells for 150 dollars and there isn't another bullshit caveat where it really costs 180-200 dollars :p )

dr_rus

Please watch your tone. You're trying too hard to escalate the discussion.
I'm trying too hard? How sure are you that you've read the on topic and informative post I've replied to? And watch your tone yourself. You're not someone who can tell me such things.

Top Bottom