• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announced Radeon RX460 and RX470 (June 29)

Shaii

I'm trying too hard? How sure are you that you've read the on topic and informative post I've replied to? And watch your tone yourself. You're not someone who can tell me such things.

I quoted one of your specific posts, where you are blatantly insult a fellow user using the F-word. When you do that, you're not writing an "informative post", you are escelating a conflict with the purpose of getting the thread locked.

Please understand the context.

Karanlos

Oh great, the AMD fanboys which got the other thread locked came to this one with their priceless opinions on me. Go fuck yourself?

Sure it was the AMD fanboys who got it locked and not the crazy guy who spouted hyperbole. Which led to a derailed discussion.

All in all I'd say that 970->480 upgrade is a total waste of money. 970 owners should go for something faster than even an OCed 480.

Selling a 970, buying a 480 with money to spare is a bad deal?

1. What don't you understand? 8GB 480 should be on approximately the same performance level as a 970, give or take some 10%, and around the same price, and around the same power consumption.

around the same power consumption? 970 is 145 non-oc and needs 2x6 pins... The default 480 is 150 max usage in any scenario and won't hit that at all unless you don't believe it can be OC'ed at all. Leaks say little over 100 watt and you say it's the same power consumption? 970 using around 40-50% more ?

Irobot82

looll i have a 7950 too and i just waiting to upgrade it

Quoted and third.ed.. or whatever. 7950 here too. Was hoping for something stronger in the next tier up but I can wait. I think I'll pick up an RX480 then sell it after the big Vega strolls around.

Edit: I really hope it's as good of an overclocker as my 7950 was. I think it had a default 850 clock with 925 boost and I pushed mine to 1150. It's been a killer card for me for that past 4 years.

Meh3D

Guys and Gals please stop. Why do you engage if you already know their motive? DO NOT ENGAGE. Ignore and do your thing.

On topic, I really like the focus on smaller form factors with the fury products. I hope they push for smaller cards further with the 460/470.

I'm rather surprised they did not have HBM mobile products. It felt like the space reduction would be great there in something like an iMac.

kami_sama

Quoted and third.ed.. or whatever. 7950 here too. Was hoping for something stronger in the next tier up but I can wait. I think I'll pick up an RX480 then sell it after the big Vega strolls around.

Edit: I really hope it's as good of an overclocker as my 7950 was. I think it had a default 850 clock with 925 boost and I pushed mine to 1150. It's been a killer card for me for that past 4 years.

I also had a 7950, but after it died, I'm eagerly awaiting for the 480.
For now, I'm using a 760 from a friend.

Renekton

I'm rather surprised they did not have HBM mobile products. It felt like the space reduction would be great there in something like an iMac.
The horsepower of mobile parts don't seem to warrant HBM bandwidth and the extra cost.

I guess Apple is happy with Polaris 11 and its low price.

mark-san

Banned
Adding a bit of fuel to the fire, at some point in the other thread we had information coming from "Sapphire Italia" Facebook page, where they linked to a WCCF article talking about 1500+ Mhz overclock for the RX480, basically confirming the article, but that was put in check because we didn't have confirmation if the FB page was official or not.

LaPKiKF.png

Well, i contacted Sapphire thru their official FB page (linked from their global website), and this is the reply i got:

HrarBcA.png

So there you have it, guys. 1500+ OC confirmed :D

Irobot82

So there you have it, guys. 1500+ OC confirmed :D

This is going to cause a meltdown. I saw some new rumors like the NewEgg listing that got pulled. It showed the base clock at 1120 and boost at 1266. We may very well have another overclocker like the old 7000 series. It's been a while since AMD had some clock wiggle room.

mark-san

Banned
This is going to cause a meltdown. I saw some new rumors like the NewEgg listing that got pulled. It showed the base clock at 1120 and boost at 1266. We may very well have another overclocker like the old 7000 series. It's been a while since AMD had some clock wiggle room.

If this is on air, a ~35% OC is indeed very good

mark-san

Banned
35% is a pipe dream lol, I'll be happy if the ref cards can even hit 1500mhz.

I have no reason to doubt info coming from an official partner. Why else would they link to the WCCF article if not to confirm or debunk it? The only thing i want to know now is if this was on air.

The RX 480 seems like a great bargain. Especially in light of the new overclocking tool AMD is bringing to the table to satiate enthusiasts, it's destined to be a home run.

Nvidia has no answer for the mainstream at the moment, which comprises 84% of the market. AMD in their own words is looking to expand the total addressable market, with a very capable card at an incredibly affordable and mainstream price. There's also plenty of headroom to go as AMD fine tunes their drivers and native DX12 games enter the market. It seems Pascal architecture is a die shrunk Maxwell, which is also a DX12 dud. No support for hardware asynchronous shaders is a big deal. Not to mention liquid VR is the preferred API for VR which is why AMD is pushing VR so hard.

AMD seems to be firing on all cylinders. Time will tell though.

Wag

I wanted to get a nice budget card for an old tower I gave to my friend. Q9550@3.4GHz, 8GB with an old GTX 295. They have a Dell 1440p display.

What would be the best card there- I don't know if I want to invest $200 in that setup because it will be CPU limited.

470 or 460? Or Nvidia card?

That 18% overclock... ~230Mhz.

It is a normal over.

Now there is a rumor saying over with ref. card @ 1607Mhz... that level is a great over.

Some speculate the 1607 mhz card is actually a BIOS hacked GTX 1080, as that is the same base clock that the GTX 1080 has. China certainly isn't afraid to do that, if you go on Ebay you can see all sorts of knockoff GPU's that do the same thing.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The 470 is same as a 290? So how much more powerful do we think the 480 will be over the 470? I have a 290 and i'm looking to replace it with something more powerful until i build a new PC. I'll only be playing at 1080p 60fps. Right now it's either a 480 or 1070. my ideal price range is £200-300 which the 480 should fit into (expecting £200 for 4GB and £250 for 8GB) but the cheapest a 1070 goes for is £400 and i don't expect a price drop for a long time yet. the only other option would be to wait for the 490 but i don't know when we'll see that.

The 470 is same as a 290? So how much more powerful do we think the 480 will be over the 470? I have a 290 and i'm looking to replace it with something more powerful until i build a new PC. I'll only be playing at 1080p 60fps. Right now it's either a 480 or 1070. my ideal price range is £200-300 which the 480 should fit into (expecting £200 for 4GB and £250 for 8GB) but the cheapest a 1070 goes for is £400 and i don't expect a price drop for a long time yet. the only other option would be to wait for the 490 but i don't know when we'll see that.

I'm on a 290x, and the overall concensus from what I've gathererd seems to be that these cards aren't for people like us; they'd be pretty horizontal moves.

Have to either go the 1070-1080 route, or wait for Vega.

Mokujin

Ehhh I don´t think it was a good idea to open this thread, because it's going to devolve (well it already has) into a rx480 discussion 2.0, last thread went downhill from subtle flame baits to almost wccftech level of trolling before being closed.

Would have been better to wait a bit till 29 when NDAs expire and we can discuss real facts.

mark-san

Banned
That 18% overclock... ~230Mhz.

It is a normal over.

Now there is a rumor saying over with ref. card @ 1607Mhz... that level is a great over.

Base clock is said to be 1120 Mhz, so if goes up to 1500 Mhz, that's a 380Mhz OC, ~34%.

Edit: Also, are reddit links allowed? Seems stores in Vietnam are breaking the NDA, as someone managed to snag a card already (for $350)

Ehhh I don´t think it was a good idea to open this thread, because it's going to devolve (well it already has) into a rx480 discussion 2.0, last thread went downhill from subtle flame baits to almost wccftech level of trolling before being closed.

Would have been better to wait a bit till 29 when NDAs expire and we can discuss real facts.

This thread has been open a while, longer than the other one got shuttered. The wrong people just caught wind of this one as well.

ethomaz

Banned
Base clock is said to be 1120 Mhz, so if goes up to 1500 Mhz, that's a 380Mhz OC, ~34%.

Edit: Also, are reddit links allowed? Seems stores in Vietnam are breaking the NDA, as someone managed to snag a card already (for $350)
The card runs at heavy load at 1266Mhz... when you do overclock that is the initial clock you start to have gains in performance.

jOevy5C_2.png

Confirmed false then? Why does every god damn leak come from WCCF or Videocardz. Doesn't leave a whole lot of viable sources to confirm or deny things.

Since the only 'leaks' are coming from wccf and not anywhere else I'm going to go with that there ARE no leaks

Just that trash site that should be banned (successfully) fishing for clicks every day

7 days and reliable info will be out. and I'll never give wccftech any clicks:p

This is custom factory overclocked by XFX.

Reference card is clocked at 1266Mhz.

Can you link the statement from AMD that says it's the boost clock? That will just settle the argument for me. I can't find it.

Not that I care that much about 62mhz. Just to have the correct information. Obviously I care much more about its OC capabilities.

Atilac

Oh great, the AMD fanboys which got the other thread locked came to this one with their priceless opinions on me. Go fuck yourself?
The other thread was locked because f1 had a meltdown. Drop the internet tough guy act, makes you look pathetic.

The End

I'm torn here. My buddy is willing to sell me his 970 for $175, but if I wait a week or so I should be able to pick up an 8Gb 470 for about the same or a 4Gb 480 for a wee bit more.

I thought the RX cards were a clear win, but comparing the 3dmark scores for the 480 (right in between the 390 and the 390x) with how those cards do in actual games (RotTR, Doom, etc) it seems like the 970 comes out ahead a lot.

Nikokuno

Can't wait for the 29th ... I understand that I made a mistake when I pick a GTX 760 instead of a 280X when I played GTA V for the first time. Since then I didn't play a lot but the next AMD card I'm going to get is going make want to play more.

I hope the 480 will be able to deliver 1080p + max setting on most 2016-2017 games.

NeOak

I wanted to get a nice budget card for an old tower I gave to my friend. Q9550@3.4GHz, 8GB with an old GTX 295. They have a Dell 1440p display.

What would be the best card there- I don't know if I want to invest $200 in that setup because it will be CPU limited.

470 or 460? Or Nvidia card?

The 480 tbh, 1440p at high settings will be GPU limited with a 470.

This thread has been open a while, longer than the other one got shuttered. The wrong people just caught wind of this one as well.

Yup.

I'm torn here. My buddy is willing to sell me his 970 for $175, but if I wait a week or so I should be able to pick up an 8Gb 470 for about the same or a 4Gb 480 for a wee bit more.

I thought the RX cards were a clear win, but comparing the 3dmark scores for the 480 (right in between the 390 and the 390x) with how those cards do in actual games (RotTR, Doom, etc) it seems like the 970 comes out ahead a lot.

Wait until the 29 for official scores? Leaked scores are always to be taken with a grain of sea salt.

Besides, you forget: The 970 is a 3.5 GB card with extra 512MB RAM glued to it. It is a performer, but the RAM will limit you with new games wanting 4GB+ now.

The End

Wait until the 29 for official scores? Leaked scores are always to be taken with a grain of sea salt.

Besides, you forget: The 970 is a 3.5 GB card with extra 512MB RAM glued to it. It is a performer, but the RAM will limit you with new games wanting 4GB+ now.

Oh, of course I'm waiting until next week. That's a given.

If the 970 was a true 4Gb card I would have already pulled the trigger. As is, I just (finally) upgraded from my old 1680x1050 monitor to a new 1080p IPS display so it'll be a long time before I even thinking of jumping to 4k.

ethomaz

Banned
Can you know the statement from AMD that says it's the boost clock? That will just settle the argument for me. I can't find it.

Not that I care that much about 62mhz. Just to have the correct information. Obviously I care much more about its OC capabilities.
From AMD? I guess there is nothing... but there are a lot of reposts on internet.

http://www.thecountrycaller.com/610...d-rx-480-base-clock-confirmed-to-be-1120-mhz/

Ref. base clock: 1120MHz
Ref. boost clock: 1266MHz

But only the references cards will run at these clocks... the AIB to be sold weeks after 29th will have factory overclock (boost clock):

XFX Radeon RX 480 (RX-480M8BFA6) @ 1288MHz

That other 1328Mhz clock is supposed to be another XFX Radeon RX 480.

Locuza

We know enough actually, there won't be many changes compared to GCN3.
Ah, so we know how much better the memory compression works or how much of a benefit the instruction pre-fetch and the bigger instruction buffer sizes are?
Guess we also already know how good the new geometry engines work with the improved primitive discard.

The biggest one is the support for HDR output obviously.
Yeah, like obviously not.
http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/RTG_Page_17.jpg

The rest seems to be mostly power efficiency related and won't actually manifest as new features or significant speed ups.
Right, what else could it be.

Vega and Polaris are the same architecture with the exception of memory compatibility.
There could be more differences than only the HBM-Interface but judging from the time frame you could guess there won't be major differences if any.

ethomaz

Banned
There could be more differences than only the HBM-Interface but judging from the time frame you could guess there won't be major differences if any.
It is possible of course but the time frame is not due at the actual GCN arch... it is about the HBM2 not being ready yet.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
It is possible of course but the time frame is not due at the actual GCN arch... it is about the HBM2 not being ready yet.

While this is a distinct possibility, I have another though here (as do many on this board).

AMD needs marketshare AND mindshare now. Launching the lower and medium end products (that take most of the market) that are, overall superior products (in their respective segments of the market*), when nvidia has not, will give them a great chance of regaining both. Given the improvements on the driver front, AMD is looking about as good as it possibly can given the circumstances. And this encourages them to focus all of the manufacturing they can on the fewer chips to keep vendors from over-pricing hardware that's hard to get, aka current 1070/80 situation.

ethomaz

Banned
While this is a distinct possibility, I have another though here (as do many on this board).

AMD needs marketshare AND mindshare now. Launching the lower and medium end products (that take most of the market) that are, overall superior products, when nvidia has not, will give them a great chance of regaining both. Given the improvements on the driver front, AMD is looking about as good as it possibly can given the circumstances. And this encourages them to focus all of the manufacturing they can on the fewer chips to keep vendors from over-pricing hardware that's hard to get, aka current 1070/80 situation.
For me, for you that do research before buy any pc related yes... if the RX 480 be a good product then it will sell for our little market of people that had access to information.

To general market? No.

A flagship GPU give more market share than a great mid-end GPU... people will see the super power TOP GPU and try to buy it but when the shop says the price he will buy the cheaper option with the same name.

In nVidia case 1080 sells 1060, 1050, etc. For AMD it will sell to people that do research and it own fan base.

At the end the variation in market share will be lesser than 3% even with RX 480 being the best option for it price.

For me, for you that do research before buy any pc related yes... if the RX 480 be a good product then it will sell for our little market of people that had access to information.

To general market? No.

A flagship GPU give more market share than a great mid-end GPU... people will see the super power TOP GPU and try to buy it but when the shop says the price he will buy the cheaper option with the same name.

In nVidia case 1080 sells 1060, 1050, etc. For AMD it will sell to people that do research and it own fan base.

At the end the variation in market share will be lesser than 3% even with RX 480 being the best option for it price.

That's pure fantasy. Especially considering the recent Pascal launch was nothing short of a paper launch and Nvidia has no mainstream offerings. Plus, the general market don't walk in to the computer shop blissfully ignorant and demand the highest end card. High end cards are for enthusiasts, that audience (minus fanboys) tend to research their purchases heavily before making a purchasing decision.

diaspora

AMD should learn from Sony. Pimp out your flashship/top tier products even if they don't drop for 1-2 years. They hype will help with the mindshare.

ethomaz

Banned
That's pure fantasy. Especially considering the recent Pascal launch was nothing short of a paper launch and Nvidia has no mainstream offerings. Plus, the general market don't walk in to the computer shop blissfully ignorant and demand the highest end card. High end cards are for enthusiasts, that audience (minus fanboys) tend to research their purchases heavily before making a purchasing decision.
So we live in a fantasy world...

General users buys video card (and any other PC component) based in the flagship... so he get the cheaper from the same family.

In your real world every better product for that price should sell more but that doesn't happen... 1060 will sell more than RX 480 even if it ends more expensive with worst performance.

He's right about the influence of the top end, but wrong about how it works. It is a well-known cognitive bias called the Halo Effect. The fact that a company has the 'fastest graphics card' can lead consumers to perceive their other graphics cards more favourably.

Top Bottom