• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announced Radeon RX460 and RX470 (June 29)

rrs

going to pickup the 470, have decided whether to get the 4gb or 8gb model
get 8 if you are keeping the card for 2+ years

Supposedly a fire strike score for the 480 http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8900159

Puts it at stock 980 performance.
searched for similar setups, and it's hard to say considering bios mods for 150% TDP over stock, all safety features disengaged hail mary runs to impress your buddies with for the 970/980

sfried

Wait a second. The 480 for 199$ is only 4GB? Buuuuh.

But well, who am I kidding. I'm not dropping Nvidia anyway. NV Inspector with SGSSAA/HBAO+ injection is far too important for me :( And I don't see an equivalent on AMD (downsampling is no help, old games like Vampire: Masquerade -Bloodlines and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. don't have scalable UIs. 4k makes everything unreadable)

What the hell are you talking about? Aren't HBAO injectors GPU agnostic? And SSAA?

FLAguy954

I'm on a 290x, and the overall concensus from what I've gathererd seems to be that these cards aren't for people like us; they'd be pretty horizontal moves.

Have to either go the 1070-1080 route, or wait for Vega.

I just sold my 290X (for about $225) to buy one of these so I disagree.

It's an upward move for me because of HDMI 2.0 (for my future 4K TV), the new display-port 1.3, and reduced heat output.

I just sold my 290X (for about $225) to buy one of these so I disagree.

It's an upward move for me because of HDMI 2.0 (for my future 4K TV), the new display-port 1.3, and reduced heat output.

I'm not saying it isn't a better card. It's newer; it certainly better be. I'm say it's not much of a jump in power. (And unless you're looking at running 2, I don't think you're going to get a whole lot out of 4k.)

rrs

That's almost exactly the same score as 390X, which is slightly less than half-way between 970 and 980, as expected.

To be more on-topic, anyone want to predict pricing for the 470 and 460 and where they think they'll fall performance-wise?
$150, $100 and 970, between 970 and 960

ZOONAMI

not entirely suprising

still a hell of a deal for $199/$229 but anyone who was expecting near-1070 performance for half the price was delusional

Well, if we really do see easy ocs of 1500+ on partner cards, I would think that would nip the heels of a stock 1070.

V_Arnold

Hm, if I plan on playing 1080p for the next 2-~ish years, have a HD7770, and do not want (cannot afford to) spend much on an upgrade, never liked antialising and ALWAYS play all games at low/medium, (even lol, although I could turn it high by now), should the 470 be enough, instead of the 480?

I just want Path of Exile to have a stable 60fps on all minimum, seriously.

That's almost exactly the same score as 390X, which is slightly less than half-way between 970 and 980, as expected.

To be more on-topic, anyone want to predict pricing for the 470 and 460 and where they think they'll fall performance-wise?

My guess would be $149 for the 470 and $100 for the 460 and performance wise I expect the 470 to be between the 380 & 390 (960 & 970) and the 460 to be between the 380 & 370 (950 & 960).

If they do release at those prices/performance then AMD will have a very nice range for the mass market.

statham

Hm, if I plan on playing 1080p for the next 2-~ish years, have a HD7770, and do not want (cannot afford to) spend much on an upgrade, never liked antialising and ALWAYS play all games at low/medium, (even lol, although I could turn it high by now), should the 470 be enough, instead of the 480?

I just want Path of Exile to have a stable 60fps on all minimum, seriously.

easily.

Canklestank

Neo Member
$150, $100 and 970, between 970 and 960

I think this might be a little too optimistic. The 480 would lose a lot of sales to the 470.

My guess would be $149 for the 470 and $100 for the 460 and performance wise I expect the 470 to be between the 380 & 390 (960 & 970) and the 460 to be between the 380 & 370 (950 & 960).

If they do release at those prices/performance then AMD will have a very nice range for the mass market.

This sounds about right to me. Decent value without undercutting the 480 too much. It may be as simple as 470 = 380 and 460 = 370 with a small architecture boost.

One week to go.

DPB

This sounds about right to me. Decent value without undercutting the 480 too much. It may be as simple as 470 = 380 and 460 = 370 with a small architecture boost.

The 470 is still using the same chip as the 480, so it should still be significantly faster than a 380 even if it is heavily cut down, since there's a huge gap in performance between a 380 and 480. They'd have to cut something like 14 compute units (896 shaders) to make a Polaris 10 card as slow as a 380, and I don't think AMD have ever produced anything cut down that much.

ZOONAMI

I think this might be a little too optimistic. The 480 would lose a lot of sales to the 470.

One week to go.

I thought pricing was confirmed by amd... as 150 and 100.

The 470 is still using the same chip as the 480, so it should still be significantly faster than a 380 even if it is heavily cut down, since there's a huge gap in performance between a 380 and 480. They'd have to cut something like 14 compute units (896 shaders) to make a Polaris 10 card as slow as a 380, and I don't think AMD have ever produced anything cut down that much.

Yeah, I think it's more like this
480 > 390x
470 > 380x
460 > 370x (only released in China, GTX 950 equivalent)

FLAguy954

I'm not saying it isn't a better card. It's newer; it certainly better be. I'm say it's not much of a jump in power. (And unless you're looking at running 2, I don't think you're going to get a whole lot out of 4k.)

I don't plan on gaming @ 4K just yet. Browsing in 4K is good enough for me lol.

diaspora

I dunno why anyone would claim that the 480 isn't good enough for 1440p. If it's good enough for VR and has 8GB VRAM, it should be fine no?

I dunno why anyone would claim that the 480 isn't good enough for 1440p. If it's good enough for VR and has 8GB VRAM, it should be fine no?

I mean my 970 is good enough for 1440p gaming for most games, and newest game settings turned slightly down. I can't imagine why this wouldn't be ok for 1440p gaming. Everyone seems to think all settings need to be cranked up to the max.

Renekton

It will be like 390-390X, enough for decent number of games at 1440p, but falls very short for demanding AAAs.

I don't think I've seen an illegitimate review even, yeah wait until the 29th, most reviewers already have the cards so reviews should be up as soon as the NDA is done.

Wag

The 480 tbh, 1440p at high settings will be GPU limited with a 470.

Yup.

Wait until the 29 for official scores? Leaked scores are always to be taken with a grain of sea salt.

Besides, you forget: The 970 is a 3.5 GB card with extra 512MB RAM glued to it. It is a performer, but the RAM will limit you with new games wanting 4GB+ now.

I don't know if I want to invest $200 in a Q9550. It's old and she doesn't do a lot of gaming anyways. I think a 470 will be adequate even on a 1440p display. On a Q9550 it won't make much of a difference.

Read some rumors about potential AIB partners releasing 480s with dual six pin connectors for beast mode OCing. Let's see if that holds true.

Trigg

Banned
Read some rumors about potential AIB partners releasing 480s with dual six pin connectors for beast mode OCing. Let's see if that holds true.

Lets hope, because all the extra power didn't help the 1070/1080. I need a decent upgrade for my 7870 and the 480 looks good. C'mon NDA.....

In wanting to stop paying a premium for a name, so im trying to hold out for AMD's top end cards. Gonna be tough. I would have jumped on the GTX 1070 but I cant support the pricing model after announcing for $379.

Hopefully Vega is here sooner rather than later.

Renekton

I don't know if I want to invest $200 in a Q9550. It's old and she doesn't do a lot of gaming anyways. I think a 470 will be adequate even on a 1440p display. On a Q9550 it won't make much of a difference.
Eh you should just upgrade the CPU instead.

Can probably find a bang-for-buck i5

In wanting to stop paying a premium for a name, so im trying to hold out for AMD's top end cards. Gonna be tough. I would have jumped on the GTX 1070 but I cant support the pricing model after announcing for $379.

Hopefully Vega is here sooner rather than later.
Vega is a very long wait.

Reconsider the 1070 if prices normalize.

Vega is a very long wait.

Reconsider the 1070 if prices normalize.

I might. Sitting on a 780ti right now and it does everything I could want it to at the moment. I have some time. What I might do is go with a 1440p monitor first and wait for Vega.

Wag

I put too much into it already, a Q9550 is ancient by today's standards. I just bought a small boot SSD, and if I buy a new CPU/Motherboard/Ram I'm going to have to buy a new videocard anyways.

470 should tide her over for a while.

I have a old Sandybridge 2600k sitting here. An old motherboard with some bent pins- I tried to unbend them but couldn't. You can't find a Sandybridge mobo that overclocks well cheap anymore.:(

Mohasus

I have a old Sandybridge 2600k sitting here. An old motherboard with some bent pins- I tried to unbend them but couldn't. You can't find a Sandybridge mobo that overclocks well cheap anymore.:(

I know how that is. My Z77 mobo died a few weeks ago, and a used one was more expensive than a new, current-gen one. I ended up buying a B75M mb (no OC for me).

Wag

I know how that is. My Z77 mobo died a few weeks ago, and a used one was more expensive than a new, current-gen one. I ended up buying a B75M mb (no OC for me).

Tempted to buy an H61 mobo for $20. No overclock and wouldn't be much faster than a Q9550@ 3.4GHz. I'd still have to buy ram too.

Patrick S.

Banned
I played GTA V and Assetto Corsa at 1280x768 at quite acceptable visual levels and surprisingly smooth speed with the integrated Intel chip my PC has, while my graphics card was out RMA'd.

Wonder if that 460 would be able to do that?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Man whatever, we are getting good ass value cards for everyone again.
WHO CARES

gimme custom coolers I wanna voltmod stuff

Xyphie

I played GTA V and Assetto Corsa at 1280x768 at quite acceptable visual levels and surprisingly smooth speed with the integrated Intel chip my PC has, while my graphics card was out RMA'd.

Should play games better than a current gen console. It's a >2TFLOPS card.

joshwaan

What... easily lol

Top Bottom