• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uhhh Aonuma just admitted Wii U GamePad disrupts gameplay...

KingWool

Banned
Aonuma said:
We realized that having something on the GamePad and looking back and forth between the TV screen and the GamePad actually disrupts the gameplay, and the concentration that the game player may be experiencing. You have your car’s GPS system on your dash. If you had it down in your lap, you’re going to get into an accident!

I found this quite interesting; especially after the release of Star Fox Zero, and then of course, especially since this was the main driving point of the Wii U. A sign of things to come?

Source: Wired

This man is becoming my hero.

Give him a promotion.

Please save Nintendo with your acceptance of young talent and upending conventions.

The gamepad is great for Zelda, not sure anyone has any complaints about it.
I imagine he's removing the features in order to make the NX version on par gameplay wise.
I think it's a good indication of no gamepad on NX

Ravijn

And yet they made Starfox Zero.......

Ended up giving it to my friends kid after playing it for a bit. I didn't like the new gameplay.

This sounds like a comment about Zelda specifically rather than the out-of-context statement about the console as a whole people are going to make it be for the next several years.

quabba

So what everyone said when they first showed the Wii U...

I actually found the gamepad features in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess quite good. Especially having the detailed dungeon map where I could see where chest were and plan my route to them.

kunonabi

Wasn't he all lovey dovey about it when it came to the OOT/MM/WW/SS remasters? Seems odd to shit on it now unless he's just using it as cover for dropping those features to make porting to the NX simpler.

Duxxy3

That alone says to me that the gamepad isn't returning with the NX. Maybe as an additional controller for BC, but not as the main input device.

It's nice to see that people at Nintendo finally saying the Wii U Gamepad was a mistake.

I really do wonder who was the driving force behind the Wii U Gamepad. No one has gone out and made claim to inventing it.

SOR5

Good, I hope more developers at Nintendo use this feedback and pivot towards core gameplay, innovation should not ruin tactility

Striek

Its quite obvious they ripped gamepad functionality out of the Wii U version to have parity with the NX, this is just an excuse for that. Not that hes wrong.

Crayon

This is how I felt about it. The gamepad was a mistake. The Wii U is the first Nintendo console I skipped along with it's stablemate the 3ds. Nintendo seemed to be getting a little eclectic for my tastes.

Tingle

That alone says to me that the gamepad isn't returning with the NX. Maybe as an additional controller for BC, but not as the main input device.

If the rumors on a Smash NX are true, it seems like they might not even have BC this time, which would make sense because BC would be a mess to handle when you can't buy standalone tablets.

Anth0ny

Wasn't he all lovey dovey about it when it came to the OOT/MM/WW/SS remasters? Seems odd to shit on it now unless he's just using it as cover for dropping those features to make porting to the NX simpler.

Wii U wasn't a complete fucking failure with a new console on the horizon when he was all lovey dovey about it

Well, pausing the game to change your items disrupts the gameplay too, but the gamepad makes it more seamless. I see no issue with it.

HotHamBoy

I hate the gamepad. I think the concept has potential, but it was never realized and the execution was completely botched. Huge, hefty, low-res. Clunky OS.

But the absolute worst thing about it is that the battery life is absolute shit. And it dies when the system is turned off! So many times I've turned on the system to find the gamepad dead or dying...

Guh.

This was obvious a long time ago. I remember Sony saying they were experimenting with a screen on their controller, but they were able to see this and went with a touchscreen instead. I'm surprised Nintendo wasn't able to see this when making the Wii U, hopefully they put more thought into the NX.

I wonder if Miyamoto was within an earshot.

The quote seems true, by the way, and I long planned to make a long post about why I find the whole idea of GamePad inherently flawed as well as some guesses on why Nintendo decided to go with it anyway, with commentary on titles that people find working well. That said I just don't know anymore if it really needs to be posted.

PKrockin

Starfox debate aside, it wasn't even good having the map on the gamepad all the time in Xenoblade X, which is a much more similar game. I'd much rather have pulled it up with the push of a button in that game. Aonuma (or the director, or whoever) made the right choice here.

Menitta

rbdWv.gif

But gyro aiming in the style of Wind Waker HD and the 3DS remakes is still in, I take it? I'm primarily an off-TV player, so a smooth experience on a single screen is appreciated (though I loved the GamePad in WWHD, a game with a lot more active cartography on the part of the player than what we've seen of BotW), but the one GamePad function I truly need is the gyro. I'm not going back to pointing my bow and arrow with sticks.

Starfox debate aside, it wasn't even good having the map on the gamepad all the time in Xenoblade X, which is a much more similar game. I'd much rather have pulled it up with the push of a button in that game. Aonuma (or the director, or whoever) made the right choice here.

As someone who played a good chunk of XCX off-TV before I tried it with both screens, trust me when I say that a simultaneous second-screen map was an absolute godsend that tremendously improved the experience.

Good man. That's the reason why I think the Wiiu sucks donkeyballz.

Now, if Nintendo only talked to their own developers during the concept phase of Wiiu...

This was obvious from the start. Somehow Nintendo didn't care or were so blinded by the successful DS concept that they didn't take into account enough how it wouldn't translate to a TV/tablet setup.

Nosgotham

depends on the game i guess because in many games it adds to gameplay. for hiis vision, for his game he found it disruptive. i couldnt imagine nintendoland, zombiu, splatoon without the gamepad. i feel it adds a ton if it fits.

ok i can imagine zombiu without it and it stinks and takes away a lot of the tension.

LaNaranja

It was great in ZombiU precisely because it was distracting. In everything else it sucked. That said off screen play is awesome and I will be sad to see it gone with the NX.

Edit: Local coop with both players getting a full screen was also great.

Top Bottom