• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detailed impressions of Titanfall 2 Multiplayer

Jarmel

Banned
Seems like they made it more into a team game than the lone wolf aspects in TF1. I personally don't like that.

Yeah, he hits on it in the closing remarks, but the changes to Titan combat are particularly egregious. Shields on Titans made the Titan combat in TF1 a delicate dance of push and pull, whereas this sounds like simple victory by attrition. Not to mention restricting primary weapons by chassis.

Jarmel

Banned
The Titan changes I'm not feeling as it feels like they're more delicate due to the lack of shields but then they also nerfed the rodeo stuff too.

inthrall

Wouldn't be surprised to see this be heavily affected by whatever titan mods are available. Eg: Electric smoke returning would still make the rodeo-ing stoppable at the tradeoff of not being so strong at killing titans

Man, I really loved TF1 and spent over 400 hours playing it and the changes I'm seeing to Titan combat have me bummed out:

- No shield regen
- Rodeo nerfed to hell
- Minimal loadout options
- Limited or non-existant boosting

I've had many an LTS game where my shield was the deciding factor in winning a match against multiple enemy Titans. Now Titan on Titan combat seems to reduce the Titans to being throwaway items.

I know people moaned about someone getting a Titan and then just sitting in the back of the map the whole game but that person isn't doing shit when hiding with their Titan. You can be aggressive and hold on to your Titan for a long time if you are quick and use your shield wisely.

Normally I would have pre-ordered this game already but I'm taking a wait-and-see approach for what the technical test holds.

Respawn, you are releasing this game in to a wolves den, I truly hope you aren't making changes just to make changes or appeal to a more "casual" gamer mentality because people will smell blood and rip TF2 to shreds.

Jarmel

Banned
Man, I really loved TF1 and spent over 400 hours playing it and the changes I'm seeing to Titan combat have me bummed out:

- No shield regen
- Rodeo nerfed to hell
- Minimal loadout options
- Limited or non-existant boosting

I've had many an LTS game where my shield was the deciding factor in winning a match against multiple enemy Titans. Now Titan on Titan combat seems to reduce the Titans to being throwaway items.

I know people moaned about someone getting a Titan and then just sitting in the back of the map the whole game but that person isn't doing shit when hiding with their Titan. You can be aggressive and hold on to your Titan for a long time if you are quick and use your shield wisely.

Normally I would have pre-ordered this game already but I'm taking a wait-and-see approach for what the technical test holds.

Respawn, you are releasing this game in to a wolves den, I truly hope you aren't making changes just to make changes or appeal to a more "casual" gamer mentality because people will smell blood and rip TF2 to shreds.

Them also reducing the boost is lowering the skill ceiling for Titan gameplay even further. I would use the boost like crazy.

breadtruck

Seems like they made it more into a team game than the lone wolf aspects in TF1. I personally don't like that.

I for one welcome a more team-oriented game. Last Titan Standing was the best game mode, easily, and this was because it actually promoted teamwork.

I for one welcome a more team-oriented game. Last Titan Standing was the best game mode, easily, and this was because it actually promoted teamwork.

It was also one of the best modes because you could swing a comeback in a 1 v 3 fight with intelligent use of the dash and shield management.

Why the changes though? Shields helped use every last chunk of health to the max, holding on with a slice and a full bar could make or break a LTS match. And why limit the primaries? We should have more Titan customization, not less.

I have the Vanguard preordered, but it's Amazon- I can cancel that anytime.

RedRum

Banned
I didn't think TF1 had too much of a lone wolf aspect. Groups with actual teams ran over random groups and unless you were playing attrition, no one person could propel a team to victory.

SwolBro

Banned
I didn't think TF1 had too much of a lone wolf aspect. Groups with actual teams ran over random groups and unless you were playing attrition, no one person could propel a team to victory.

um... that was then but this is now and now is far different. 1 god tier player can turn the tide of any match. It's gotten so ridiculous that if a tier 1 player joins a random lobby he can be placed with 5 brand new players vs all gen 10s on the other side. that's what the matchmaking does to "balance" the match out.

skill ceiling in this game is almost nonexistent

um... that was then but this is now and now is far different. 1 god tier player can turn the tide of any match. It's gotten so ridiculous that if a tier 1 player joins a random lobby he can be placed with 5 brand new players vs all gen 10s on the other side. that's what the matchmaking does to "balance" the match out.

Haha, yeah. However, I'd say that after several particularly good matches, the system often overcompensates and the next match is a steam roll.

E92 M3

Damn, rodeo was one of my favorite things to do. I was an expert at eliminating titans. Seems like they are trying to make it more beginner friendly. Nonetheless, I trust Respawn. Those people made COD4, MW2 and TF1.

SwolBro

Banned
Haha, yeah. However, I'd say that after several particularly good matches, the system often overcompensates and the next match is a steam roll.
yeah, the matchmaking is something i hope they really took some time with this go around.

After reading blackhawks review there's a few things i have to question. The whole titan load out thing.. there's no way Respawn locked in 6 weapons for the 6 titans. I just can't believe they'd do something like that. I think there's probably 6 pre built classes that are the "hero" titans and then you can have personalized load outs. Kind of like it is now with the first 3.

Also, blackhawk says he thinks there's pilot teleport? hmm... i thought what we saw in the trailer was the holo pilot thing.

yeah, the matchmaking is something i hope they really took some time with this go around.

After reading blackhawks review there's a few things i have to question. The whole titan load out thing.. there's no way Respawn locked in 6 weapons for the 6 titans. I just can't believe they'd do something like that. I think there's probably 6 pre built classes that are the "hero" titans and then you can have personalized load outs. Kind of like it is now with the first 3.

Also, blackhawk says he thinks there's pilot teleport? hmm... i thought what we saw in the trailer was the holo pilot thing.

Can't have been the hologram, since the pilot literally materializes behind.

RedRum

Banned

Like I said, a top tier player could lone wolf a game of attrition with a mediocre team and definitely come up on top even against a competent team. However, it becomes a bit more difficult for lone wolves with modes such a Cap, HP, LTS.

I will definitely agree that the matchmaking was absolute shit. I've been there for plenty of matches where my team of full G10s went up against full teams of G1s.

So to recap the negative changes I see:
1. Titans have very limited customization (can't change primary / secondary weapons).
2. Titans have no shields.
3. Reduced dashes on titans.
4. Players have much less freedom on how to execute rodeos.
5. Certain moves reportedly can dampen existing momentum instead of building on it (grapple hook, slide).
6. Camera goes to 3rd person for executions / entering titans instead of preserving immersion in 1st person.
7. Revamped minimap makes it more difficult to distinguish pilots / grunts.
8. Regenerating grenades (+ grenades magically being available when you rodeo).

Not even touching on the reduced base speed which the devs have repeatedly reported.

Omadahl

Banned
Between these changes and their release date, I could see this going very badly. I was a latecomer with TF1 but I had a blast. I might be skipping this.

Alienous

No regenerating Titan shield? Because some players would camp in Titans?

Why not let players pull a 'shield battery' from the wreckage of a downed Titan. That seems like it would deal with the issue. Having all damage directly impact all the health you'll ever have in a Titan seems like it diminishes being skilful in using them.

I'm fine with the no titan shield. They have a new mechanic.

“You’ve essentially taken a chunk of its health,” producer Drew McCoy told me. Yes, rodeos are no longer quick pilot-on-Titan kills. It will take a while for a solo pilot to bring down a Titan all by himself or herself. Instead, the reworked mechanic encourages teamwork by making it so that the extracted battery -- now strapped to your pilot’s belt -- can be given to a friendly Titan to heal it or power it up."

ign link

I think making the titans UNIQUE with their weapons/ abilities is the smart way to go. When you see a Ronin titan, you know that he can phase dash, use his sword, and his primary. It's gonna make it more strategic and that is a good thing IMO.

I'm gonna wait for the technical test before judging anything. So far I do not have a problem with the changes they made. Might be a different story when I play it.

Wow really? Third person when entering a titan? Major bummer... the cool contextual cockpit animations were one of my favorite parts of the first game. Small change but I feel like it loses a whole lot of its charm.

I'm fine with the no titan shield. They have a new mechanic.

“You’ve essentially taken a chunk of its health,” producer Drew McCoy told me. Yes, rodeos are no longer quick pilot-on-Titan kills. It will take a while for a solo pilot to bring down a Titan all by himself or herself. Instead, the reworked mechanic encourages teamwork by making it so that the extracted battery -- now strapped to your pilot’s belt -- can be given to a friendly Titan to heal it or power it up."

ign link

I think making the titans UNIQUE with their weapons/ abilities is the smart way to go. When you see a Ronin titan, you know that he can phase dash, use his sword, and his primary. It's gonna make it more strategic and that is a good thing IMO.

I'm gonna wait for the technical test before judging anything. So far I do not have a problem with the changes they made. Might be a different story when I play it.
The battery mechanic is a terrible replacement for shields as pointed out by the write up in the OP. Same with reducing the number of options in Titan loadouts, both of which serve to lower the skill gap as well as diminish the importance of strategy. LTS fans are bummed at these changes for good reason.

Top Bottom