• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After seeing how amazing sony's games looked at E3 i'm wishing Neo gets upgraded

I don't care if it costs 499$ i want to experience all those amazing looking games at 60fps, with the best IQ possible for a 499$ console. seriously after playing last of us at 60fps, the gameplay is so much better, and smoother. i'm praying neo gets delayed for a better cpu.

Every developer can make PS4 games 60fps is they wanted to. They just choose not to.

This, as well. Neo games probably aren't likely to see 60fps, unless it's an upgraded older title. They're likely to see graphical upgrades to make screenshots that look better, ergo making games look better in marketing material

Every developer can make PS4 games 60fps is they wanted to. They just choose not to.

Ding ding ding

I bet the majority of developers don't use Neo's extra horsepower to enhance framerates to 60 fps. They'll make sure the game is locked at 30 and use the extra resources for visual enhancements.

After seeing how amazing sony's games looked at E3 i'm wishing Neo gets cancelled.

i honestly feel the same way if they don't upgrade the specs.

not really, to much sacrifices and effort need to be put in cause of the weak cpu, and not enough power. were almost getting there though, where most games will start having a option of 4k or 60fps, at least that's what i'm hoping.

KZObsessed

It's actually made me less interested in Neo. If the standard PS4 can put out the best looking games in the industry why do I need Neo? Though, that will probably change when they show Horizon Zero Dawn Neo mode and my eyes explode.

It's actually made me less interested in Neo. If the standard PS4 can put out the best looking games in the industry why do I need Neo? Though, that will probably change when they show Horizon Zero Dawn Neo mode and my eyes explode.

try switching from 30fps to 60fps in last of us on ps4, 60fps make a huge difference in graphics and gameplay.

Dinjooh

Yea I feel the same. There will have to be something else about it before I'm upgrading it. New form factor, more energy efficient, new features - something.

I'm very happy with the ps4s current power level.

tzare

I think that at least regarding sony first party, PS4 is really enough for now and for at least 2 years. But ii guess you can always ask for more.

JordanN

Banned
not really, to much sacrifices and effort need to be put in cause of the weak cpu, and not enough power, were almost getting there though, where most games will start having a option of 4k or 60fps, atleast thats what i'm hoping.

Tons of effort goes into 30fps. How come every PS4 game doesn't look like The Order or Uncharted?

It's not about specs.

try switching from 30fps to 60fps in last of us on ps4, 60fps make a huge difference in graphics and gameplay.

If you want 60fps bare minimum on games, you're going to need to get a PC. Even with increased horsepower, very few devs are going to aim for 60 on current or upgraded consoles. Eye candy takes precedent for consoles.

Does Sony not have any 4K TVs to sell or something?

If the current Neo specs are accurate, it'll probably support upscaling to 4K with less intensive games supporting native resolution. But yeah, Sony sells 5 different TVs at that range - 3 with HDR, IIRC

Toni

Sony pretty much has the crown for best looking exclusives. I'd be more than content with a Radeon, 5.5 TF 480 gpu thrown in the Neo to even out the few IQ quirks and hit rock solid 30fps and hit that mass market price adoption. ($449/ $399)

Rather than bump gpu and CPU to nonsensical levels to spec-match Scorpio when Sony is by far the market leader in this industry they dont need to do much to win.

Horizon, GOW and Days Gone benefit by looking amazing already.

KZObsessed

There was something seriously wrong with The Last of Us 30FPS mode. It was awful. And it wasn't just from switching back from 60FPS.

If every game was 60FPS on Neo though it would definitely be worth it,

If you want 60fps bare minimum on games, you're going to need to get a PC. Even with increased horsepower, very few devs are going to aim for 60 on current or upgraded consoles. Eye candy takes precedent for consoles.

If the current Neo specs are accurate, it'll probably support upscaling to 4K with less intensive games supporting native resolution. But yeah, Sony sells 5 different TVs at that range - 3 with HDR, IIRC

thing we have never had mid cycle generation upgrades, so i'm hoping/praying now since they are offering choices and wanna compete with pc a little, they do it right with proper specs and a 4k or 60fps option since games have to run on vanilla ps4.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Honestly, I don't feel any significant difference when playing 30fps v 60fps. The game just plays smoother, this isn't really that much of a change for me personally.
Yes sure I can now play previous gen games in 60fps. Doesn't really change the way they look or anything else significant about the game. I'd argue resolution is a bigger thing. Although the 4K v 1080p difference is something I have yet to grasp because I can't see myself justifying an early upgrade for that either.

Kieli

One thing I don't quite get is how they can make a game for the PS4, and have it perform exactly the same on PS4k/NEO.

Do consoles not work like computers where for the same game, you get better performance with better hardware?

Isn't that the whole point of PS4K

There's no real "PS4K" name. Besides, like the poster above me said, it could just as well be referring to multimedia and smaller titles.

If DigitalFoundry's speculation is correct, the Neo's GPU is going to be about 40% less powerful than Scorpio's. Why not focus on 1080 to get the absolute most out of the hardware instead of trying to do 4K titles when the hardware probably isn't up for it at playable framerates?

Juxo

Ding ding ding

I bet the majority of developers don't use Neo's extra horsepower to enhance framerates to 60 fps. They'll make sure the game is locked at 30 and use the extra resources for visual enhancements.

I would imagine this will forever be the case while hardware limitations apply. Framerates don't sell games. Pretty graphics do.

If they delay it a year to improve the tech then you'll just see next year's E3 trailers looking amazing and you'll want another delay to make it more powerful. At some point they have to finalise it and get it out there. There'll be another Playstation in 2018/2019 anyway.

LordRaptor

I'm not sure why you guys think that outside of VR-targetted titles - where a developer just absolutely cannot fuck about with framerate without making people puke - console titles aren't going to be targetting 30fps with every possible bell and whistle turned on

Zackat

This, as well. Neo games probably aren't likely to see 60fps, unless it's an upgraded older title. They're likely to see graphical upgrades to make screenshots that look better, ergo making games look better in marketing material
I would buy a neo to play Bloodborne in 60 fps and it would be worth it.

Dinjooh

Sony pretty much has the crown for best looking exclusives. I'd be more than content with a Radeon, 5.5 TF 480 gpu thrown in the Neo to even out the few IQ quirks and hit rock solid 30fps and hit that mass market price adoption. ($449/ $399)

Rather than bump gpu and CPU to nonsensical levels to spec-match Scorpio when Sony is by far the market leader in this industry they dont need to do much to win.

Horizon, GOW and Days Gone benefit by looking amazing already.

I'm confused here. Do you feel that there's a massive difference between a 5.5TF and a 6TF gpu, from a TF standpoint alone?

Even if the rumours are true with Neo going 4.4TF that'll only leave the Scorpio with a 36% advantage in Teraflops, less than the PS4 has of an advantage over Xbox One today.

tzare

There's no real "PS4K" name. Besides, like the poster above me said, it could just as well be referring to multimedia and smaller titles.

If DigitalFoundry's speculation is correct, the Neo's GPU is going to be about 40% less powerful than Scorpio's. Why not focus on 1080 to get the absolute most out of the hardware instead of trying to do 4K titles when the hardware probably isn't up for it at playable framerates?

IF that is the case i also find much more interesting to have solid experiences at 1080p, 60fps or ultra settings and lots of visual candy, instead of going after 4K with compromises

Mabufu

Banned
Can we stop "the developers can do 60fps if they want" thing?

Developers have a vision of their game they cannot always achieve if they go for 60 fps. PS4 is not an infinite power machine.

And on topic, yeah, I'd like to have all the power thay can bring to us too.
If OG PS4 looks this good already, I cant even imagine what NEO have prepared for us.

geordiemp

One main purpose of the Neo according to Mr House is to tempt enthusiasts to stay with Sony and not go to PC mid gen when they are tired of performance. Ps4 is 1080p already

If Neo is only CAPABLE to play say (just examples) Witcher 3 and Uncharted 4 at 30 FPS / 1080p, but we have to do Digital foundry stills to see better shadow resolution or whatever - Neo is fucking pointless.

Crayon

They games look beyond good didnt know a ps4 could even do that.

And guess what? The ps4 isnt doing it. Talented hard working developers are doing it.

Forget upgrading the hardware; Sony should rent more offices and make more room for the next great talent.

Top Bottom