• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 minutes of Nioh gameplay E3 2016

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Looking good! Sometimes the camera still felt iffy, but that's probably just due to the cramped corridors. At least spacing seemed more manageable. I look forward to the beta.

Yogg

That looked extremely good. It's really close to a DS feeling, even with the weird camera behavior in a few spots.

ps3ud0

Wonder how you swap between the 2 sets of items and also between your melee or bow/gun now its not on the dpad

EDIT: That high stance whirlwind attack uses so little stamina
EDIT2: Ahh you use the stance button and dpad to swap weapons on hand

ps3ud0 8)

Fuckkk that looks so good. I'm getting tingles thinking back to the first demo. I am so happy that TK is releasing another beta, keeps my interest up. Also, duel wield hype!

3) Durability has been removed, in it's place is a new proficiency system that would reward skill points for the weapon in use.

Why would they do that, I mean it's such a revolutionary new mechanic :p

dreamfall

Whoa, durability is gone?! That's actually amazing!

Super excited about becoming proficient with a weapon after using it forever without breaking!

ps3ud0

I'm just afraid it's L3/R3. I can't push those buttons. I'm fucked.
Naaah its on the stance switch button (R1 IIRC) - check out 12 seconds into the video how the item wheel fades while the weapons on the right wheel show up when hes stance switching. Unsure about the item wheel though...

I was worried about the same too - hate frequently used things on L3/R3 - if only the DS4 had some form of touchpad...

ps3ud0 8)

GrayFoxPL

Naaah its on the stance switch button (R1 IIRC) - check out 12 seconds into the video how the item wheel fades while the weapons on the right wheel show up when hes stance switching.

I was worried about the same too - hate frequently used things on L3/R3 - if only the DS4 had some form of touchpad...

ps3ud0 8)

I still had to remap R3 lock on to d-pad in alpha and lost a function. L3, R3 is hell for me 90% of games, I don't have the strength to push them.

I wish Sony would just copy that Elite pad shit that has additional paddles for R3/L3.

Oh yeah, the touchpad, fucking useless most of the time.

ps3ud0

At 5:40 when he takes the potion it seems he still can turn around even though he has lock on. Noticed some nice perfect KI Pulses too

ps3ud0 8)

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Durability wouldn't have been such as a bad status effect to have in the game if whetstones dropped reasonably from enemies or could be purchased from the shrine but maybe this unfortunately proves that there aren't vendors in the game...not that I mind but would have been nice.

God, that looks good. I can already see the improvements, and it's all for the better. It looks Souls as fuck — in a good way.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Very smart choice removing durability, it was a total drag.

tcrunch

Was flipping through demos on the PS Store today and noticed the one for Nioh, only when you click it you can't do anything...rip I was too late for the alpha.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
sure you can, go buy PS4Neo :p

PSNioh

Edit: Which makes me randomly think about a special edition Nioh theme PS4K console, oh man that would be sleek. Maybe black with hits of red and grey, not sure what kind of design but something subtle.

Then this further leads me to think about a special edition Nier Automata themed PS4K console that I will :( most likely never ever see. :'(

Seregil

I'm curious about the lock-on not letting you turn your back to the enemy. I liked how in the alpha you could run away from the enemy while still keeping them in view of the camera, and if you didn't want to turn your back, you just had to move the analog stick slightly to keep facing the enemy. It took a little while to get used to it, but I think it was a cool mechanic.

Is the weapon skill system really taking the place of the durability system? I recall their being some kind of weapon familiarity stat in the alpha that never increased for the weapons. I just assumed that is what was increasing and giving skills in the video. Other than that, the dual swords and the rifle looked fun to play with. Can't wait for the beta.

HStallion

I'm curious if two handed weapons will have their own move set since that's a fairly different fighting style and stance set to the sword, spear, and axe/hammer combo we have seen so far. I'm guessing guns will be lumped in with the bow and arrows for the most part?

Fextralife did an interview with the director

FL: Nioh features a western protagonist although the game is set in Japan, what was the decision behind this? What was the decision behind using William, as opposed to allowing some character creation?

Yasuda: The protagonist is based on a real-life historical figure named William Adams who was basically a pirate from England who arrived in Japan in the early 1600s and eventually trained as a Samurai, which is a very very rare occurrence throughout history. So we were just really fascinated by his story and thought he was a real badass, and that is why we wanted to use his story as our main character’s. Since the game is so based around his story, we decided not to have any custom character creation.

Although, one thing we would really like to consider for the future is more facial customization for online play. We do already have armor customization so that should bring some diversity between players online for the time being.

FL: How does the game progress? Is it rather linear or can you choose where you go?

Yasuda: There is a single map with different stages and there is a central hub where you can prepare for battle and choose the stage you want. There is a main campaign which you can choose to follow but there are also around 100 side missions where you can take on waves of enemies and get more loot.

FL: How long will the game be? Will there be a NG+ or can the players continue playing after the ending?

Yasuda: As for the length of the game, it really depends on how often you die. During your first playthrough of the main campaign, on average you can expect around 40 hours. As for NG+, where you can replay the campaign with stronger enemies that drop better loot, we are still considering all possibilities. We really want to make it a game with replay-ability after the main campaign is finished so we are working on that along with developing online play.

FL: With durability being removed, will there be a replacement system put in place or will there be no equivalent in the game?

Yasuda: It wouldn’t be as fun if we simply got rid of a feature and didn’t replace it with something else. So we have replaced it with a “familiarity” system, which is inspired by the traditional Japanese belief that every day objects have a spirit residing in them. So the longer you use a weapon, the stronger it gets, with that spirit making a deeper connection with the user. So it adds a kind of strategic element where you will ask yourself – do I use that really strong weapon I just picked up or should I continue using this weapon that I have had since the beginning?

FL: Feedback from the Alpha was taken very seriously and with a game that is so challenging to design, how do you decide what elements to change in order to satisfy the fans while also making sure you are satisfying your vision for the game?

Yasuda: A good example would the durability feature we were just discussing about. That’s a change that isn’t really incompatible with our vision so its an easy call. However if we just blindly follow what players want us to do, it will not necessarily become a good game so we do have to make that judgement call at some point.

Nonetheless, if we design something with a certain expected reaction in mind but it doesn’t translate well into the actual gameplay experience, it is something we do want to fix and that helps us get closer to our intended vision of a fun game. An example of that would be the camera controls, which we had a lot of feedback about during the Alpha, in that people thought the way it locked on to enemies during combat made it quite difficult in an unfair way as it was very unintuitive. So it is something that by changing we are not compromising our vision, but are in fact actually allowing it better to shine through to create gameplay that is more rewarding than frustrating. So there are a lot of instances like these where our goals align with the feedback of players and allow us to make a better game.

http://fextralife.com/nioh-death-yokai-multiplayer-durability-fumihiko-yasuda/

HStallion

That all sounds really good. Nothing he said sounded off or out of place. I even like how they tied the new weapon affinity system with Japanese lore. This game is going to be something special, I'm sure of it.

Tingle

Character customization sounds interesting, although I can't understand from his comment if he means in this game or not?

40 hours sounds solid, and from what I played in the demo, I'm sure I'll die more than enough to raise that estimate. NG+ for added content also sounds nice, and I would like to see what the challenges offer, even if they don't sound up my alley.

I also appreciate their comments on taking feedback from the Alpha, and the game still looks very much intact afterwards.

I'm curious if two handed weapons will have their own move set since that's a fairly different fighting style and stance set to the sword, spear, and axe/hammer combo we have seen so far. I'm guessing guns will be lumped in with the bow and arrows for the most part?

Dual Wielding has it own moveset, from what little we can see in the video, it's definitely a whole class on it's own.

These are some really good answers and I hope it put to rest any concern people might have about the developers 'compromising' their vision due to the Alpha feedback.

HStallion

Dual Wielding has it own moveset, from what little we can see in the video, it's definitely a whole class on it's own.

Oh missed that. Going to go back and rewatch. That's good to know. I really like how each weapon has its own specific movesets and unlockables.

Vex_

Banned
Looks slower, stiffer and more like Dark souls. Blegh.

In the alpha, that armor he is wearing in this video weighed a shit ton. Dont see why they would change that. It seriously slows you down. I ended up finding a good middle ground between lightness of armor and protection.

Game is fine as is with speed anyway...

Kudo

40 hours on average sounds really good, but I can already see myself missing this game a lot after platinuming it!
It's been a while since I've been looking forward to a game this much, that alpha was just so good.
Can't wait to ponder hours over what kind of build I'll be running.

It looks good. I wish they placed better weapons in the environment though, and didn't have just about everything drop from enemies. It didn't feel as though exploration was appropriately rewarded - quite the opposite in fact, it felt as though just going for the boss and clearing the map was better than anything else you could be doing.

That contrast the Souls series where it always feels as though searching the environment for new weapons and armour might be worth it. If anything, in Nioh, you'd be better off just respawning enemies over and over again with a shrine, and grinding for drops - that feeling is the result of poor design and a sign that enemy loot versus environmental loot required a re-balance.

It looks good. I wish they placed better weapons in the environment though, and didn't have just about everything drop from enemies. It didn't feel as though exploration was appropriately rewarded - quite the opposite in fact, it felt as though just going for the boss and clearing the map was better than anything else you could be doing.

That contrast the Souls series where it always feels as though searching the environment for new weapons and armour might be worth it. If anything, in Nioh, you'd be better off just respawning enemies over and over again with a shrine, and grinding for drops - that feeling is the result of poor design and a sign that enemy loot versus environmental loot required a re-balance.

You would still want to explore to find Shrines, shortcuts and Kodama which would provide buffs to your character.

So yes, there are sufficient incentives to explore.

Baalzebup

Did you find the Tombo-Kiri in the Alpha? And if you did, do you not consider that a reward for exploration much in vein with Souls? The key to the altar much closer to the Nue as opposed to just opening the shortcut door to the first one? Are these not just that kind of rewards? Plus as above poster mentions, there were the Kodama to find. Some of those little buggers were pretty hard to find, even if I did eventually get them all with zero outside influence.

The ratio might be different due to more focus on loot drops, but the game clearly did reward exploration.

Kudo

Few new pictures from the Japanese website:
KY2vA5X.jpg
QtO1XPY.jpg
NPNiEzy.jpg

TmTRDlD.jpg
ANNfBCb.jpg
JGQuzDd.jpg

Just beautiful.

Sayad

Looking good! Sometimes the camera still felt iffy, but that's probably just due to the cramped corridors. At least spacing seemed more manageable. I look forward to the beta.
There's nothope for camera in Team Ninja games, tbh, my only hope is that they don't abuse the awful camera against the player with things like around the corner ambushes or tricky fights in places where the camera isn't preforming very well.

Lord Phol

Great interview and I'm super happy about duel wielding. One of my main wishes from the Alpha was more weapon variety which we seem to be getting. Now if they can also make the bosses a bit more interesting and unique I'll be there day one.

There were some enemies and spirits in certain hidden places that dropped some really rare and good weapons compared to everyone else in the Alpha. Personally never felt exploring wasn't worth it.

Top Bottom