• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I the only person that prefers human Ganon over Pig Ganon?

Is Ganon even a thing other than a temporary transformation at this point?

I don't mind Ganondorf but I dislike how Nintendo just kept sticking with him through future games. When OoT was released it was the one that was set in the earliest part of the timeline back then, and Ganondorf was part of Ganon's origin story. Seeing him become Ganon at the very end was the completion of the origin into the Ganon pig-monster he was known as.

Then in WW he appeared as a human for no real reason, and in subsequent Zeldas he was still human. Nintendo just liked the character better I guess. TP was the worst rendition, mostly because becoming Ganon was just another thing in his magic repertoire. Yawn.

Toss this into the pile of Nintendo Flanderizing its characters along with babifying Yoshi and anime-fying Samus.
Well In Ocarina of Time, when he became Ganon and died, they went back in time. So he never became Ganon. Hence his future appearance since he's supposedly the same Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time
(Correct me if I'm wrong, it's been awhile since I recall the timeline stuff)

Village

Most folks like human ganon, its why he's the face now. Because he's cooler and fun and you can play as cool human ganon in smash.

Tonedeff

I like warthog Gannon best, but I've always wanted a better fusion of the two in the games. Something like the Beast from BatB.

Harpuia

Ganon just wants the winds...he just wanted his people to have what hyrule had...

The OoT pig Ganon final boss is probably the final boss that has stuck with me the most due to it being the first real "climax" of a game I experienced. The music, scenery, and the fight inspired more than many of the scenarios I've come up with for various game ideas I'd like to make eventually.

WW Ganon is probably the closest we've had to a true villain with some degree of complexity in the Zelda series.

latest

No love for Yuga Ganon?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Pig monster all the way for me! Fits the fantasy/adventure evil villian theme more than some dude with a sappy backstory!

Tookay

I personally prefer Ganondorf to Ganon. I don't really find his pig form intimating.

However, I really liked OoT's Ganon design. It came across more demonic than pig-like.

I don't mind Ganondorf but I dislike how Nintendo just kept sticking with him through future games. When OoT was released it was the one that was set in the earliest part of the timeline back then, and Ganondorf was part of Ganon's origin story. Seeing him become Ganon at the very end was the completion of the origin into the Ganon pig-monster he was known as.

Then in WW he appeared as a human for no real reason, and in subsequent Zeldas he was still human. Nintendo just liked the character better I guess. TP was the worst rendition, mostly because becoming Ganon was just another thing in his magic repertoire. Yawn.

Toss this into the pile of Nintendo Flanderizing its characters along with babifying Yoshi and anime-fying Samus.

Yeah, they just kind of made it up as they went along, but officially it's something like he reverts back to Ganondorf after being sealed at the end of OoT, so that when he comes back in the WW era, he is not at full strength.

In the Child Timeline, he never got to become Ganon to begin with. The Hyrulians attempt to execute him as Ganondorf after Link returns to the past in OoT. This leads to TP Ganondorf.

In the Fallen Hero Timeline, he stays Ganon after defeating Link. Hence, Ganon in Alttp, LoZ, and AoL.

That being said, it gets confusing, because Ganondorf will also be reincarnated at times without being actively resurrected, and according to Hyrule Hystoria, "Ganon" can also just be used as a nickname for human "Ganondorf".

Xbro

Well In Ocarina of Time, when he became Ganon and died, they went back in time. So he never became Ganon. Hence his future appearance since he's supposedly the same Ganondorf from Ocarina of Time

When referring to Twilight Princess, this is correct.

In OoT when they seal Ganon in the end he is in his human form presumably because it's easier to seal him that way, hence Wind Waker Ganondorf.

MajorMane

Ocarina of Time causes a split of the timeline: one where the Hero of Time defeats Ganon and returns to his childhood, the adult timeline that he leaves behind, and a ultra special timeline where the Hero of Time actually lost.

In the Adult timeline, they seal Ganondorf away in the Sacred Realm after Link beats him as Ganon, so the Ganondorf in WW is the same as the OoT one.

In the Child timeline, Link returns and tattles on Ganondorf of that time. They try to kill him, doesn't work, seal him in the Twilight Realm, so the Ganondorf in TP is also the same as the OoT one.

In the Fallen Hero timeline, Link loses, Ganon gains access to the triforce, but is sealed by Zelda + the sages. He pops up intermittently, but pretty much anytime he reappears here, he's in his beast form because he never lost to the Hero of Time.

Junahu

At the end of Ocarina of Time, Ganon is sealed in the sacred realm and regresses back to Ganondorf. In Wind Waker, Ganondorf is further cut off from his Ganon incarnation by the flooding of Hyrule and the physical scattering of the Triforce. This time away from its influence gave Ganondorf time to think about what he really wants.

That's my understanding of Wind Waker at least.
I have no idea what the hell Twilight Princess was trying to do with its Ganon.

Obviously Yuga Ganon is the best, the perfect blend of ferocious beast and eccentric campy style.

But no I'm pretty sure the Dorf has always been waaaay more popular so you're far from the only one.

Bio5ith

Neo Member
Wind Waker Ganondorf is my favourite incarnation of the character so far. I don't particularly care for the pig Ganon designs in general, though.

I always figured "pig" was just his sacred/dark/etc world form, like everyone else has when they go there:

Ganon becomes a pig monster
The Hero of Pink Hair becomes a bunny
The Hero of Twilight becomes a wolf
The Hero of Time become a narcoleptic

...and so on.

SeanTSC

I like human Ganon as a base design over him being a "pig,", but I also like him being able to transform and stuff.

I'm with you, OP. OOT was my first Zelda, and Ganondorf left a big impression on me at the time. I've always understood Ganon to be Ganondorf's 'final form', rather than an antagonist in its own right.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ganon_(Oracle_of_Ages_%26_Oracle_of_Seasons).png

I actually loved this design from the oracle games.
Why isn't THIS Ganon in Smash? When I first played Melee and saw "Ganondorf" I was like who the heck even is that? C'mon Nintendo/Sakurai, whats the matter. To evil lookin' for ya? He'd be the baddest dude in Smash considering how watered down Bowser got and how there's like literally no other villians in the games >_>

I get that Ganondorf was originally meant to be a homage to Hokuto no Ken's Raoh, but I never felt that same sense of "badass unstoppable conqueror" that Raoh embodied, in Ganondorf. And the only time he ever came across as remotely sympathetic as Raoh ended up being in his Wind Waker incarnation.

So, that said, I never really cared for Ganondorf. Ganon the Blue Boar always came off as more of a straight to the point Demon King. Finding out he was based off of Zhu Bajie from Journey to the West (much like how Bowser was originally based off of the Ox King) was something I always found was a nice touch.

I earnestly hope that Breath of the Wild will show us the Blue Boar again. He's due for a legit appearance in a 3D console Zelda game.

I thought he was a nod to the villain from Record of Lodoss War. I'm on mobile, otherwise I'd post a pic.

Also I've always liked cartoon Ganon.

Astral Dog

Twist: they are the same guy since A Link to the Past

WW and OoT Ganondorf (the same timeline) are great, the other is lame as hell.

And then you have the copycats (or in one case, Ganondorf is the copy)

Dizzy

Banned
He looked great in OOT. Whats more intimidating, some ginger with a receeding hairline and a big nose? Or a 15ft tall giant pig looking beast with glowing eyes and huge horns? Ganon just seems more evil.

I wasn't as keen on TP Ganon though.he was more like a beast, didn't carry swords and walked on all fours.

ganon.jpg

This looks like "Pumbaa with a trident" to you? He looks like some kind of satanic demon monster akin to what you proposed he should look like. Yeah I suppose he technically *is* a pig, but in name only.

At least can we all agree that this one sucks?

latest

Yeah, TP Ganondorf suuucks. He looked the best in Ocarina of Time. Shame he got stuck with his TP verison in smash.

Astral Dog

in the ending of OoT we see Ganondorf in the sacred realm, he used the triforce to transform then reverted to human form after he was weakened. Wind Waker established he does not need to become a Pig to bring all his power (or maybe he does, but at least not to fight)

well, since ALTTP it was established Ganon was a human, while it could be seen as a slight retcon that he transforms at will, its not much of a surprise he can only do that with the triforce of power, the point being, Ganondorf and Pig Ganon are not different beings at all

Jeiiya

I love demon pig Ganon, but let me tell you, Wind Waker's final fight is AMAZING! Overall, let's just have Ganondorf. Although, I wouldn't mind if BOTH Ganon and Ganondorf were in a game as separate entities.

akira28

evil Ganon must be evil ancient pig demi-god wizard thing.

medium or neutral Ganondorf is fine as a human but doesn't do it as the evil villain.

Astral Dog

I love demon pig Ganon, but let me tell you, Wind Waker's final fight is AMAZING! Overall, let's just have Ganondorf. Although, I wouldn't mind if BOTH Ganon and Ganondorf were in a game as separate entities.
but they cant, they are the same thing, more interesting would be if Ganondorf can be separated from Demise or they are one and the same too, seems that way.

The Dink

WhyNotBoth.gif?

OoT, I think, still has the best final battle of the series for this reason. You get the bad-ass Ganondorf battle and the badder-ass Ganon battle right after. Give me both any day (although I guess that doesn't make sense in a few timelines) of the week. Though I find I prefer Ganondorf over Ganon. Something about facing the human behind the beast adds something to the battle for me. As long as Ganondorf doesn't look like a rip-off Dracula:

Worst G-Man.

SeanTSC

Wow, I didn't realize that TP's designs were hated so much. TP is my second favorite 3D Zelda and I love its art.

Top Bottom