• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I the only person that prefers human Ganon over Pig Ganon?

Narroo

You play as a human in nearly every game, humans are the baddies in sooo many games, a human is also the big baddie in sooo many games. So whats interesting about having yet another one on the pile? Why shouldn't the ruler/commander of all monsters not also be one himself o.o?

Don't that serve ta make him more menacing? Like facing the unknown? Rather than delving through some lame backstory and meeting someone who'll speak back at you like "look dude I get where you're coming from but you're doing it wrong so I'ma defeat you an save the land"?

I agree with the 1st paragraph, but not the second. Pig Gannon just ends up just being a larger version of the mindless, uninteresting, monsters you fight against in practically every fantasy game. It's hard to even imagine him as the king of monsters.

Now, if they made Gannon an actual character, then I'd be interested. It doesn't have to be a sympathetic story, just something other than a trite"I'm evil so I'm going to kill you!" Give him a believable and interesting character. Think about how the Giant Pig monster actually gets around. Then I'd be happy.

tumblr_o8bkthk4Xn1vvfjdgo1_1280.jpg

I don't know how anyone can look at that photo and still say that fucking Ganondorf and his bedazzled forehead jewlery, evil organ playing ass is a better concept that the original Ganon.

LTTP continues to be the pinnacle achievement of the franchise.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I don't know how anyone can look at that photo and still say that fucking Ganondorf and his bedazzled forehead jewlery, evil organ playing ass is a better concept that the original Ganon.

LTTP continues to be the pinnacle achievement of the franchise.

This would be the case if we ever actual faced that in a 3D Zelda but we don't. All we've gotten are these super mindless monster Ganons that look more boar than manbeast and they lack all the maniacal nature of Ganondorf that people love so much.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Why not both?

I like the idea of an evil sorcerer that turns into a giant pig monster. Very... old fashioned, I guess. Which is a bonus in my book, as far as LoZ is concerned. I'm fine with both Ganon and Ganondorf. I tend to really only like Ganon/dorf in Zelda games and other villains don't really compare. In my opinion anyway.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
The problem is that any villain in a game with Ganon is going to be overshadowed by Ganon, because he commands a presence unlike Yuga or Agahnim. Zant was close but they dropped the ball the 11th hour. Majora and Vaati are legit, but they are in so few games. They need a comeback. I would love a Zelda game like Breath of the Wild to have a big halfway mark disc 1 boss that is one of those guys.
I was really puzzled that with all the playable characters Hyrule Warriors has, they didn't do Aghanim. For a love letter to the Zelda series, there's almost nothing in way of LTTP references in that game.

(Also on that note, where the heck are the unveils of the Hyrule Warriors Legends DLC? Seems like we should have seen something by now.)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
No im incredibly preferential to ganondorf over ganon, and love the idea of ganon being a transformation that has a different design every game tho im fine with the TP look from now on.

Infact i have a feeling ganondorf is still walking around somewhere and may not like "calamity gan"

Caelus

I love all versions of Ganon and how they reflect the very disparate but equally fun tones the series can take on.

This is a suitably imposing villain, I think. (Probably lose the nipple ring, though)

Jeez, they're so prominent. At least one knows where to aim.

The 3D games haven't really attempted to do pig ganon in a straightforward manner. It's always a JRPG boss BEHOLD MY TRUE POWER transition into a 30-foot, overly-ornamental pig nightmare mutant.

The human forms have been pretty neat, but they're becoming a bit stale and expected. They should try just doing Ganon as an imposing blue pig dude throughout just to change the dynamic up, no ULTIMATE TRANSFORMATION crutch needed.

tumblr_o8bkthk4Xn1vvfjdgo1_1280.jpg

thats the best one ive seen so far

No... in fact I feel like most Zelda fans aren't old enough to have enjoyed the NES/SNES games as their first Zelda, so greenish-skinned red-haired Ganondorf is the "normal" Ganon.

But personally? Well, see avatar... ;)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wow, I didn't realize that TP's designs were hated so much. TP is my second favorite 3D Zelda and I love its art.

Yea, that's what im saying, when i made it to ganondorf at the end of TP, and he's sitting in his throne and then again when he stood up from it all slow and badass like, i was enamored with how incredible he looked, he looked like a fucking final boss.
It was thrilling.

Jinketsu

Ocarina of Time was a big step into learning what Ganon actually was, but there aren't many times he's brought back as a man. Hell, in Twilight Princess he and Zant share the same body (I think the hate is with the corn rows, otherwise I think he looks great), and I think that's the last known Zelda game (in release order) where Ganondorf has any consciousness. Iconically, "Ganon" is supposed to be this all powerful demon king beast thing. More times than not the shell of what used to be Ganon is resurrected for other evil purposes, and to me that's what Ganon is. A demonic shell of what used to be a man, once concerned for the well being of his people, turned obsessed with power.

Pyrrhus

They are connected for me. I like the idea that ganon has a human form and a true, terrifying piggy wizard form.

I agree that they're connected. I'm not sure if I'd call the pig form his true form or not. More of a representation of his psyche made possible by the overwhelming magic of the Triforce of Power. At heart he's still the scheming, ruthless tyrant. But the pig form projects immense physical strength, recklessness, greed, a feral, uncivilized nature, and vulgarity. If he can't win with his army or his magic, he'll just trample everything under his hooves. A force of nature.

I'm fine with the modern interpretation of him being a human and the pig form just being a transformation that can alter and change with each iteration.

WW Ganondorf> HW Ganondorf> OoT Ganondorf> TP Ganondorf

Golnei

This is a suitably imposing villain, I think. (Probably lose the nipple ring, though)

I guess it would be an impressive bit of attention to detail if NPCs could be affected by temperature in Breath of the Wild, not just Link.

Top Bottom