• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's "Let's Watch Anime" OT: Now Watching: Servant x Service (6/21-7/6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

wfn5cvo.jpg

The Goal of the "Let's Watch Anime" thread is to bring together "AnimeGAF" with other members who can appreciate anime (yes, even "casuals") to watch a series together, then discuss and share our reactions towards it at the same time. Participation in each episode is appreciated, but playing “catch-up” by watching multiple episodes at once is normal as everyone has different responsibilities/time to watch anime. Just don’t post on future episodes unspoilered! The more posting about the series and it's events, the more beneficial it is to everyone, so please post up on the good, the bad and the awful; We are all in this together! (no hiding lurkers) We will have a new show selected to watch every two/three weeks and the genre will vary greatly. The shows that will be selected will have met the below criteria:

- Any genre
- Lesser known titles (Dragonball Z, One Piece, Gintama, etc)
- Not already aired on Toonami/Adult Swim
- The shows should try to avoid outrageous and/or sexually offensive themes
- Shows could be good, bad or possibly trash; let's find out together
- Recommendations are always accepted for future viewing
- Let's have FUN with this together! Please participate in the review and discussion!

With that being said, here we go:

aVp3WT0.jpg

Synopsis:
Imagine if three people suddenly found themselves as civil servants of the city Mitsuba. What sort of personalities and drives would they have to push them to seek out such careers? Lucy Yamagami, a serious young woman assigned to the Welfare Administrative Section, intends to use the job as a means of settling a vendetta against another civil servant. Yutaka Hasebe, a flirtatious young man assigned to the First Section of the Welfare Department, intends to slack off whenever he can and have a good time. And Saya Miyoshi, a college graduate assigned to the Second Section of the Welfare Department, intends to simply get through the first job she's had in her life as best she can.

Servant x Service follows these three newcomers starting their jobs as government employees under their supervisor, Taishi Ichimiya, who is utterly clueless about how to direct them—despite having worked there for the last eight years. Nevertheless, he welcomes them as fellow civil servants and encourages them to work themselves like dogs for the sake of the citizens. We follow their day-to-day lives as they experience the rigors of government employment, including dealing with regulations, office romances, paperwork, and being the nearest punching bags when citizens need something to complain about.

Episodes: 13
Originally Aired: Jul 5, 2013 to Sep 27, 2013
Producers: Aniplex, Half H.P Studio, Asahi Broadcasting Corporation
Licensors: Aniplex of America
Studios: A-1 Pictures
Source: 4-koma manga
Genres: Comedy, Slice of Life
Rating: PG-13 - Teens 13 or older

MAL Link:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/18119/Servant_x_Service?q=servent x service

Reviews:
“In Servant x Service, we get to see an insight look on what it's like to work in such an environment and their daily lives.
The series is based off of a 4-Koma of the same name written by Karino Takatsu. She is the same author who wrote Working!! Therefore, expect some similar themes. With A-1 Pictures behind the production, it's easy to get a similar vibe for both series. However, there are some more noticeable factors in Servant x Service that makes it enjoyable especially for those looking something refreshing to watch.
For starters, the series takes place in a working environment. However, it takes place at a government office so don't expect butlers, maids, or call-girls. Instead, expect professionals dressed in suits and ties along with a formal image of the business class. After all, these jobs require more skills than flipping burgers. Rather, it puts them into an environment where the employees have to work to ensure the better quality of the public.
As characters goes, we see a noticeable age range. Even by appearances, we can tell that the majority of the character cast consists of young adults or middle aged folks who already completed school through graduation, and are now working adults”

“Do you miss that always fun show "Working !" ? or maybe you would like to light up your mood a little bit ? Or maybe you just want to have some good old laughs... If you can see yourself in any of the previous scenarios, Servant x Service or simply SxS is what you are looking for.
Servant x Service is simply the most "sitcomesque" like anime I've ever watched, it resembles a sitcom in various ways,”

Available for free streaming via Crunchyroll:

Link: www.crunchyroll.com/servant-x-service

*Episodes are set for viewing “one a day” over the next three weeks so we can try to stay together*

A new episode "opens" for discussion each day at 12 am PST:

Open Episodes: All

Episode 13 opens: 7/4 12am PST

Come join me Friends!

Or ELSE you get this:

R62GsYo.gif

Previous “Let’s Watch Anime” shows:

Humanity Has Declined, Eccentric Family, Sunday Without God, Samurai Flemanco, Blast of Tempest, Kyousougiga, Kids on the Slope, Mirai Nikki, Rosen Maiden, Code: Breaker (literally broke let's watch, lol)

Link to the anime Community thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1118026

*Required ToS Footnote and reminder*

It's simple; Don't talk about it or promote it...

look at GAF-chan’s words of advice:
j8Gt5nJ.png

Mod Note:
This has been happening frequently enough lately that I just wanted to throw out a friendly reminder: solicitation, discussion, and linking of pirated material is prohibited. This includes illegal streams, torrents, aggregators, fansub & sub group discussion, links to websites containing entire anime soundtrack albums magically for free, etc. Use common sense here. Discussion of legal, ethical, and economic implications of piracy is okay.

Linkark07

Banned
Oh, it has been a while. Loved Servant x Service and I certainly would love to watch this again, especially Lucy reactions. Lets see if I do that, still, will try to participate in the discussion. My memory is still fresh.

Pretty fun show. Good for a couple laughs. Can't remember if it had too many boob jokes or the right amount. There was one character I fucking LOATHED but it's been so long I can't remember who it was.

Enjoyable just for being a slice of life about public official office workers. Worth watching for that.

John Blade

Pretty fun show. Good for a couple laughs. Can't remember if it had too many boob jokes or the right amount. There was one character I fucking LOATHED but it's been so long I can't remember who it was.

Enjoyable just for being a slice of life about public official office workers. Worth watching for that.

Oh yea...they will be boobs jokes based on what I read from the manga but it's more around it then flashing the boobs. I am so hype to go watch this tomorrow.

Oh yea...they will be boobs jokes based on what I read from the manga but it's more around it then flashing the boobs. I am so hype to go watch this tomorrow.

She got big boobs. In anime you just kinda have to accept they'll be the subject of jokes/conversations at least once an episode.

The show isn't remotely fan servicey so if that's the worst offender it should be good to watch for most people

Cornbread78

Oh man...didn't expect my opinion of choice actually get vote in for a Let's Watch. I am going to get back home and rip my copy of this show so I can watch it with everyone here.

I am so hype now. That intro music (https://youtu.be/pUDwiHmFiQM)

Nah, the show fit the mold. I just hope we have enough people join in and participate. Besides, I looked it up and saw "Working" and I was sold right there. Adult characters are a rarity!

Well this should be fun, have to admit though when I saw that I missed the Let's Watch of Humanity Has Declined I became all of the salt, one of my favourites from my time with anime thus far

Cornbread78

I haven't taken part in any of these threads. I was hoping for Code Geass, but I'll try this one out too.

Good deal, we can go after Code Geass later as well on a few weeks if enough people jump in. It's a little tougher because so many people have already seen it.

It will be fun to watch with a bunch of peeps though.

JulianImp

Good deal, we can go after Code Geass later as well on a few weeks if enough people jump in. It's a little tougher because so many people have already seen it.

You shouldn't really mind if it's a show some of us AnimeGAF regulars have already watched, because those slightly more popular shows might be good for having more people join in, and a couple regulars might even join in for a rewatch or to see reactions, which will be fine for the most part unless we reach SamFlam levels of *winkwinknudge*.

John Blade

image47.jpg

Just finish watching the 1st episode. Liking it so far right now. I will say the 1st few minutes of the show introduction will give you a good understanding of the main characters you're going to follow and they personalities very quickly. Founding out the main reason Lucy want to be a civil servant is funny to listen. This reason will become the main point of the entire show and also become a big thing for this entire episode.

I would say, this episode give you a general feel of how the civil servant work will look like which isn't much different from other country. Hell, it did discuss a bit of the negative side of it which make sense when you consider that it's a government side.

From the look of the episode, Lucy and Yutaka interaction will become important for the show as quite a bit of the punch line will come down between them. Not saying they isn't any from other main characters in the show, but I can see this two is the important side of the show from the dialogue they have between them.

Also, Lucy
name
is a big thing in this episode and you see is been use quite a bit.

Kinda feel pity a bit toward Saya because of her personalities and also the situation she get herself into in this episode.

Overall, a good introduction episode which bring in all the main characters you will be following and give you a good idea of they personalities. Will like to see where it will go next as the chemistry from the two characters
Lucy and Yutaka
is fun to watch.

Spoiler GIF
Ad0RK0o.gif

John Blade

You're early by about 5 hours, but no worries, lol

Sorry...just a bit too excited and want to watch the 1st episode of the show after I manage to rip it from my DVD I got from RightStuff Christmas sale last year. Also, to get more people interested in watching the show by giving some impression of it without telling the entire situation of the episode.

I may be out on this show already. I watched half of the first episode and was bored to death. This sort of comedy and slice of life are not my thing to begin with, I enjoy more plot driven shows. There's just too much anime on my plate for this right now!

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's a funny show. I loved how the OP used real life objects, reminded me of The Amazing World of Gumball.

Cornbread78

Pretty strong opening. You can already tell the characters are going to be fun, the VA's are good and it's definitely got that same relaxed tone that made Working! so good.

pbayne

Lol yup definitely from the same person as Working! (Yukata is more or less the blue haired troll guy).
Some mild chuckles. They definitely nailed how monotonous civil service work can be though.

Episode 1

OK I'm on board, I like the ridiculous premise for why Lucy chose to become a civil servant and Yutaka is the civil servant we all deserve. I usually detest the child of privilege archetype but Yutaka has a charm to him that allows him to get away with being the most useless person in the room. Saya has been useless thus far but I'm hoping that her timid to the point of paralysis personality just gives her more room to grow. Was also glad that the one boob joke this episode was of the female characters sympathising with Lucy's shoulder pain and then blaming it on her chest rather than the usual weird jealous rage of 'How dare you hurt because of your chest, you are clearly mocking me!!!!1111!!' that I've seen far too often.

It's rare for anime to tackle actual adult situations like 'first proper job' given that most are aimed at teenagers so the novelty alone is earning points here. I've already watched The Devil Is A Part Timer and the same conceit was a big part of why I loved that show too (i.e. person having to make it on their own in the world). The show seems to be very much on the side of the down trodden civil servant thus far which makes a change from most media where Yutaka would be the rule rather than the exception.

Linkark07

Banned
Lol yup definitely from the same person as Working! (Yukata is more or less the blue haired troll guy).
Some mild chuckles. They definitely nailed how monotonous civil service work can be though.

Nah, Hasebe comes short compared to Souma.

So, about Lucy's name, I only remember Lucy Kimiko Akira...

Pretty strong opening. You can already tell the characters are going to be fun, the VA's are good and it's definitely got that same relaxed tone that made Working! so good.
To think that Chihaya VA voiced Yui or Saya is Nagisa Furukawa. Indeed, the cast was great.

Cornbread78

Nah, Hasebe comes short compared to Souma.

So, about Lucy's name, I only remember Lucy Kimiko Akira...

To think that Chihaya VA voiced Yui or Saya is Nagisa Furukawa. Indeed, the cast was great.

Damn, you're right!

Mai Nakahara is Saya and
Aki Toyosaki is Chihaya

Very talented VA group..

Episode 1
The opening and ending are alright.

It's nice having main characters around my age, and though I've never worked in the public sector, I connected with some of it. I saw in the Crunchyroll description that Yamagami was upset that her given name was Lucy, so I didn't expect her actual name to be so long. The comedy didn't make me laugh, but it was decently amusing.

John Blade

So much stuff happen in this episode. Some is something you expect to happen while other we got to find out more stuff.

For Saya, her lack of skill to stop the older people to stop talking to her is taking a toll on her as she can't get her other stuff done. This issue will become a major issue near the end of the episode. Her friend, Lucy and Yutaka, try to help her but it kinda end bad when you found out the main purpose Yutaka ask Lucky to do what he want her to do.

You found out a bit more of Megumi characters and her hobbies which Lucy didn't expect to see her in. That whole scene is fun to watch as you can realize the reason she is in the position she is in. Also, fun to see the Megumi trying to get Lucy to like what she does and slowly sow the seed of in Lucy mind of what Megumi want her to do. Kinda her dream mission now.

Also, an introduction of a new character who look like she will become a common character based on what you found out in the big incident scene. Like the entire scene with her and found out the secret between her and someone at the department.
The entire flashback of her and Taishi when they're young and seeing her love with Taishi as a little sister is fun to watch but get funny when everyone know the reason why she come to the department even though Taishi have no clue on it,

The final scene with Saya got to be fun to see as you can see her break out from the shyness and tell the truth of what she think of the incident. Not something you expect from her. Overall, a fun episode and get to know love the joke thing they throw at you between the four of the main characters in the show.

FUN NOTE: Just check the voice actress who voice Saya, it look like she voice the MC female character from Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (which it was the 1st Let's watch) and also Clannad. Kinda interesting to see.

Kvik

Episode 1

Still as funny as the first time I saw it. I think no matter what country you're from, if you're working for governmental civic office you're due to get yelled at at some point in your career. Also Yutaka being a slacker but actually really good at his job reminded me of some people I know in real life. Funniest bit was of course Lucy's parents concatenating all the names suggested into a single massive string.

Kthulhu

Episode 1 left a good first impression. Show seems very light hearted and cute. I'll probably watch more of it.

Cornbread78

So much stuff happen in this episode. Some is something you expect to happen while other we got to find out more stuff.

For Saya, her lack of skill to stop the older people to stop talking to her is taking a toll on her as she can't get her other stuff done. This issue will become a major issue near the end of the episode. Her friend, Lucy and Yutaka, try to help her but it kinda end bad when you found out the main purpose Yutaka ask Lucky to do what he want her to do.

You found out a bit more of Megumi characters and her hobbies which Lucy didn't expect to see her in. That whole scene is fun to watch as you can realize the reason she is in the position she is in. Also, fun to see the Megumi trying to get Lucy to like what she does and slowly sow the seed of in Lucy mind of what Megumi want her to do. Kinda her dream mission now.

Also, an introduction of a new character who look like she will become a common character based on what you found out in the big incident scene. Like the entire scene with her and found out the secret between her and someone at the department.
The entire flashback of her and Taishi when they're young and seeing her love with Taishi as a little sister is fun to watch but get funny when everyone know the reason why she come to the department even though Taishi have no clue on it,

The final scene with Saya got to be fun to see as you can see her break out from the shyness and tell the truth of what she think of the incident. Not something you expect from her. Overall, a fun episode and get to know love the joke thing they throw at you between the four of the main characters in the show.

FUN NOTE: Just check the voice actress who voice Saya, it look like she voice the MC female character from Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita (which it was the 1st Let's watch) and also Clannad. Kinda interesting to see.

You're a day (5hours) early again bruh, lol.

I put countdown tickers and everything, lol.

MartyStu

Episode 3 was cute as fuck.

The lines have been decided, I have chosen a ship!

Episode 6 is even cuter.

How did I miss this show? It is utterly enchanting.

Cornbread78

Haha, I always thought that was part of the charm.

Much like Lucy's hair antenna.

Yes, that a antenna is very, umm, busy, lol.

As a reminder for discussion purposes:

Episodes are set for viewing “one a day” over the next three weeks so we can try to stay together*

A new episode "opens" for discussion each day at 12 am PST

Cornbread78

It's excellent to have a H.S. aged character introduced around a bunch of adults and actually be depicted as a kid. The diversity of the cast is also really fun to watch. Lucy is my girl so far and not because of those small size "F's."

John Blade

It's excellent to have a H.S. aged character introduced around a bunch of adults and actually depicted as a kid. The diversity of the cast is also really fun to watch. Lucy is my girl so far and not because of those small size "F's."

Lucy will become the main person you will be following in the show. Liking her more in this anime and want to see all the stuff she does. Also, she isn't as people smart sometime and you notice this a bit in this episode.

pbayne

Fun episode. Chihaya rocketed up the best character graph for me. We need to get the full cosplay team in some episode hopefully. And Tohko's alright as far as tsundere little sister characters go.
Hasebe has good taste in games.

Episode 2
I feel like the inclusion of this otaku stuff is going back to high school territory a bit too much, after I was saying it was nice to have actual adults as a change of pace. At least the actual high schooler is obviously younger than the others.

The permanent anger mark on that high school girl annoys me. I liked the old woman attacking her, and Ichimiya starting to say that she wasn't always like that, then correcting himself and saying she was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom