• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's how progression in Watch Dogs 2 works. (Hint: It's not towers)

bombshell

We knew from the E3 info that the game does not feature the typical Ubisoft towers, but I don't think we knew how progression is handled without them. Hack me if old.

Progression in Watch Dogs 2 is not tied to story beats or to set locations (like towers) which you must take over/climb/hack/scan/set on fire/delete as Ubisoft game appropriate. It's tied to your count of virtual followers, which you collect like a kind of XP as you complete activities and make discoveries in San Francisco.

"Players start with a few followers in [hacker group] DedSec but pretty soon you realise you're going to need more if you want to pull off big operations. So you start free-roaming," Morin continues.

"Every time you get followers, it's like you're unlocking the DedSec hivemind. You're also unlocking new knowledge, new operations, new co-op missions. And then organically you hit those end-game milestones."

Without a focus on slow geographic progress across the city, and without the necessity to engage in a drawn-out campaign of story missions, the idea is for your San Francisco to feel more free.

"You can barely touch the story," Morin added. "You have many different operations which give you followers, which guide your progression." Within the story there are three "milestones" to hit which finish the game's narrative, he added, "but mathematically you can unlock everything else through co-op or free-roam".

More from the interview: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-21-watch-dogs-2-there-are-no-towers

Jedi2016

Now it remains to be seen if they fixed all the other shit that was wrong with the first game. I'm not sold on it yet, and won't be until well after it comes out.

ghostjoke

Banned
Hackers wanting more and more followers - only in an Ubisoft world. Still, the death of scaling towers can only be a good thing for the open world genre.

Tripon

Wait, you need something like an active Twitter or Facebook like account to progress though the game? I thought hackers wanted to be anonymous.

ryseing

Watch Dogs actually had good towers. They were basically mini puzzles scattered throughout the world.

I'm OK with a JC type system though. As long as those puzzles are back in some way.

SJRB

Gold Member
Like Twitter followers or followers followers?

From what I can gather the Dedsec hacker group gains followers when people install the app on their phone. Which in turn grants them more power [power of the cloud I suppose?]. Reaching the million follower milestone is a thing in the trailer.

It's a revolution of sorts, I guess.

In terms of gameplay I guess when you help someone getting mugged, you'll gain a follower. Stuff like that.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Wait, you need something like an active Twitter or Facebook like account to progress though the game? I thought hackers wanted to be anonymous.

The trailers show them getting hits/followers for their group called Deadsec. You do stuff around the city or to crappy companies and you get more followers....is how I'm taking it.

Something about the positioning and narrative setup for this game really bothers me, as though the movie Hackers had a love child with tech-bro disruptive startup culture or something. I can't say that it's a particularly rational dislike, but it feels weirdly insidious, like being able to give people fake criminal records and spy on them through hijacked security cameras for social media lulz is somehow a totally cool thing completely divorced from stuff happening in the real world.

I feel like the first Watch Dogs did at least pay some lip service to how disturbing both ctOS and Aiden's hijacking of it were. Here it just feels like a "fuck the man" facade to make the game feel edgy.

Sounds interesting (though I never had a problem with Ubi towers.) I avoided the original, but can pick it up for $10 for my PS4. Is it worth $10? Is it fun? Does the world feel alive, and is the 900p very noticeable?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd like confirmation that 100% completion will be possible without touching the MP component.

bombshell

I'd like confirmation that 100% completion will be possible without touching the MP component.

Sounds like it's possible, but difficult.

"You can play the whole game by yourself, including the co-op content, although I think that'll be quite difficult," Morin laughs. "Still, there's always someone spectacular out there who can, so why not let them?

Paz

From what I can gather the Dedsec hacker group gains followers when people install the app on their phone. Which in turn grants them more power [power of the cloud I suppose?]. Reaching the million follower milestone is a thing in the trailer.

It's a revolution of sorts, I guess.

In terms of gameplay I guess when you help someone getting mugged, you'll gain a follower. Stuff like that.

It seems insane to me that a hacktivist group would encourage every day people to install unsecured apps on their phones with vague promises of only using their access for good deeds.

But Ubisoft did create a character who has hash tags and 'at' symbols for eyes so I shouldn't be surprised by this.

Rembrandt

Banned
Sounds interesting (though I never had a problem with Ubi towers.) I avoided the original, but can pick it up for $10 for my PS4. Is it worth $10? Is it fun? Does the world feel alive, and is the 900p very noticeable?

Some of the side missions are fun like the convoys and gang hideouts. Not at all. GTA set the bar high as hell.

Jeffrey

was the 'towers' in W_D that big of an issue? I did kinda enjoy the light puzzles to find the hacking node and the hacking minigame. Was more interesting than the usual towers in ass creed etc.

ghostjoke

Banned
Eh, I get that exact feeling from Anonymous sometimes.

I wouldn't put script kiddies and DDOSers looking for attention up with what Watch Dogs is/was trying to portray. but the more I think about what's been shown in the sequel, the more I like the idea of how stupid this could all become. I hope they have stuff like follower bots; just fully embrace the stupidity of the hacking through the veil of a teenager on twitter looking for attention.

mr_chun

This sounds really cool. I like the idea of having more freedom up front, and I love the way the followers tie into the theme. "Stand on top of this building and you'll get more of the map" doesn't make any sense in a game where the protagonist has a phone lol.

They did hint at this in the reveal trailer when all the DedSec people were getting all excited from the large amount of followers they were getting.

F4r0_Atak

Like South Park Stick of Truth? (There was no much use for this in SP-SoT oustide of some jokes and comments. "I'm super cereal!!") XD

So it's more like that Vita Assasin's Creed?
I played that, but I don't remember that. There was? :/

They did hint at this in the reveal trailer when all the DedSec people were getting all excited from the large amount of followers they were getting.

Fair enough. I do remember this... :p

cormack12

Gold Member
Hmm, sounds OK but the cynic in me thinks this will have a penalty if you don't play frequently. Like on the first game, if you didn't engage in MP you lost rank, I think if you don't log in much you'll lose followers.

Servbot24

Banned
Can't tell if it will be good from the description, but at least it's going to have some kind of difference from all the other Ubi games.

It seems insane to me that a hacktivist group would encourage every day people to install unsecured apps on their phones with vague promises of only using their access for good deeds.

But Ubisoft did create a character who has hash tags and 'at' symbols for eyes so I shouldn't be surprised by this.

Keep in mind that it is the same group that called up the previous game's main protagonist just as he was about to put the kibosh on his former partner's ctOS schemes. Complete with vague promises of only using their access for good deeds.

So it's not really surprising.

vypek

I wouldn't put script kiddies and DDOSers looking for attention up with what Watch Dogs is/was trying to portray. but the more I think about what's been shown in the sequel, the more I like the idea of how stupid this could all become. I hope they have stuff like follower bots; just fully embrace the stupidity of the hacking through the veil of a teenager on twitter looking for attention.

This is pretty much what I am expecting. Not some vigilante group looking to take down terrible corporations with hacking but rather craving the attention that comes with taking down a corporation. This game looks like it is taking itself less seriously to me so far and it honestly looks like it could be a lot of fun. Really interested in seeing more since I am considering picking it up this fall.

Disgraced

This sounds good. Please be good. I'm rooting for you, Watch Dogs. I like you, Watch Dogs. I'm giving you my energy (and my money). \o/ $$
Hmm, sounds OK but the cynic in me thinks this will have a penalty if you don't play frequently. Like on the first game, if you didn't engage in MP you lost rank, I think if you don't log in much you'll lose followers.
Oh god, I hope not. MGSV does that too. Shit mechanic.

Gah, every time I read about a Ubisoft game I remember that they're just not for me. I've never liked Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Watch_Dogs, Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, The Crew, or any other franchise they have out there.

The shitty progression systems and stupid millions of useless sidequests they tend to pile onto all their games is just not interesting to me in the slightest. And they pretty much never have compelling stories. I don't get the appeal.

antitrop

I think any time considered on Watch_Dogs is just better spent playing more GTA V, even if you already finished that game.

The 900p is noticeable, but what's more noticeably detrimental to the graphics is the hideous daytime lighting. It's not a good looking game, it was already topped by Infamous Second Son when it was released, and then was topped again by GTA V's next-gen rerelease afterwards.

As far as creating a believable and immersive world goes, Watch_Dogs is one of the poorest examples in recent memory. Even with the delay, it still felt like a game that needed another year of development.

Still cautiously optimistic about W_D 2, though. I'm giving it another chance.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
What happens if you don't have the phone app?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
This sounds good. Please be good. I'm rooting for you, Watch Dogs. I like you, Watch Dogs. I'm giving you my energy (and my money). \o/ $$Oh god, I hope not. MGSV does that too. Shit mechanic.

The original game locked a few perks behind the MP component but that's it. There was no other penalty, so I doubt 2 has such a system in place.

The trailers show them getting hits/followers for their group called Deadsec. You do stuff around the city or to crappy companies and you get more followers....is how I'm taking it.
Knowing ubisoft, you'll probably just get followers for anything you do. Even if you act like a douchebag and hack into random peoples cars and drive them off cliffs.

Top Bottom