• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 Days to Die on consoles - Any excitement?

ironcreed

Banned
This game has caught my eye from time to time, so I went ahead pre-ordered on PS4 with the discount on PSN. Just wondering if there is any excitement out there? Despite the dated visuals, it looks pretty damn addictive to me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The game moved 1,438,226 ± 30,098 copies on Steam with a user score of 80%.

That said, I don't think it's the type of game that's been selling to your average GAF poster, so you might want to check out some youtube opinion videos about the game.

bender

What time is it?
I'm interested but I'm worried about improvements to the PC version being rolled into the console versions in the future.

ironcreed

Banned
The game moved 1,438,226 ± 30,098 copies on Steam with a user score of 80%.

That said, I don't think it's the type of game that's been selling to your average GAF poster, so you might want to check out some youtube opinion videos about the game.

Oh, I have and am aware of the popularity on PC. I just figured there would be a little more excitement for it releasing on consoles around these parts. I mean, you would figure that the Minecraft/DayZ hook would have more people jumping on it.

How dare Capcom screw up Resident Evil.

Im semi interested but waiting for reviews

Resident Evil is a horror franchise that hasn't had a horror-laden mainline installment for years, so I'll make an exception for that one, because first-person horror is at least better than third-person boulder smashing.

I like these types of games but I'd be pretty skeptical of how well it will run on the console, many of the other PC early access games that came over ran poorly.

Illucio

Banned
Looks like it's going to be one of the games that looks super good but are actually extremely mediocre and bad.

If the game is good I'm sure people will notice.

edit: Holy shit these graphics are disgusting as fuck.

ironcreed

Banned
Looks like it's going to be one of the games that looks super good but are actually extremely mediocre and bad.

If the game is good I'm sure people will notice.

edit: Holy shit these graphics are disgusting as fuck.

LOL, the visuals are not the appeal here anyway. Sort of like Minecraft.

Wait, so they are releasing alpha version of the game as retail copy on consoles? LOL. Unless they go from alpha to full release in one week :D Anyway, seems shady.

That is the weird thing about all of this. Alpha 15 is about to come out on PC. I have no idea what they are doing on PS4 since it is being outsourced. I imagine that the game will be constantly patched after the PC builds released.

ironcreed

Banned
That is the weird thing about all of this. Alpha 15 is about to come out on PC. I have no idea what they are doing on PS4 since it is being outsourced. I imagine that the game will be constantly patched after the PC builds released.

Early access games are put up on Xbox One all the time, so nothing different here. I just think it looks fun enough that it is worth my $27 and I'll continue to enjoy it as they update it.

pastrami

They haven't been clear on how it'll be handled, but they did mention DLC for the future. So I imagine any major updates will be DLC. Unfortunate if true, because they've been doing a pretty good job of adding new features and content to the PC version (and in some cases, completely revamping certain mechanics/systems).

I play both Rust and H1z1 on the PC. I really enjoy survival games, specially those who allow us to build houses, like Rust.

Been following this one and Ark. Will think about buying but only if performance is good and people play it.

Also, PC crossplay would make this an instant buy for me!

ironcreed

Banned
I play both Rust and H1z1 on the PC. I really enjoy survival games, specially those who allow us to build houses, like Rust.

Been following this one and Ark. Will think about buying but only if performance is good and people play it.

Also, PC crossplay would make this an instant buy for me!

This looks far better than ARK to me. That game is a steaming pile on Xbox One.

grmlin

Pretty amazing game, very addictive.

Runs poorly on my PC with Phenom 1050T and AMD 7950, and I don't think a PS4 will be enough for it. Unity FTW.

Did not touch it for some months though, maybe they optimized the hell out of it?

amdb00mer

Saw thread title and thought for some reason it was about Battleborn's first week of sales on X1 and PS4...

OT - I don't see this competing well against ARK: Survival Evolved.

Dakhanavar

Neo Member
I guess I'll be in the minority as someone who has this pre-ordered from Best Buy. With GCU, I'm getting it for like $25. I figure that's $10 less than what I paid for Ark on Xbox One, and here I get the benefit of a physical game that I can lend or sell later.

I've played it some on PC and it's certainly a bit rough around the edges, but I find it's better to view this as a better looking survival Mincraft than a crappy looking version of some big AAA game. It's all relative!

I'm trying to get my brother-in-law to pick it up since we play things online pretty frequently. There's actually a good amount of depth and content to this and as another poster said, they've added a lot of new features to the PC version as they've been working on it. (Again, similar to Ark)

This looks awesome due to the split screen element. Could probably be a lot of fun with friends.. If the DLC thing is accurate, that might be a deal breaker though. Will wait to see it clarified.

grmlin

Well, it looks like running on low quality settings or something with a pretty bad drawing distance? I can be wrong though.

What worries me the most is playing the game with a controller. There is so much mouse based inventory management in this game, I don't know if it's enjoyable to do this with the DS4s touchpad.
Is there some aim assist for the console versions? It's already hard to hit zombie heads on PC with a mouse and keyboard :)

ironcreed

Banned
Well, it looks like running on low quality settings or something with a pretty bad drawing distance? I can be wrong though.

What worries me the most is playing the game with a controller. There is so much mouse based inventory management in this game, I don't know if it's enjoyable to do this with the DS4s touchpad.
Is there some aim assist for the console versions? It's already hard to hit zombie heads on PC with a mouse and keyboard :)

He said that it was arranged for a controller, so I am not worried about such issues. As for aim assist, I have no idea. Probably an option that can be turned off even if it is there.

Stitch

Gold Member

No, you're right. That's pretty much how the game would look like with low settings and bad draw distance. Looks much better on a decent PC. Framerate doesn't look to hot either.

Also the next update will add NPCs like Traders and Bandits. So far they haven't really confirmed if all the new stuff will come to PS4.

Anyone with a decent PC should just get this on Steam today when the sale starts.

Mass One

Saw it. Ask my friend if I got would he get it. He declined. I cited that he's over the zombie and minecraft phase. He agreed and left it at that.

It's unfortunate because by the time Killing Floor 2 comes to the PS4, I'll probably have no interest in it.

Boem

I played a little bit of this after a friend bought it (we never heard about it before the news hit that Telltale (of all companies) was publishing the console versions).

It's not for me. The gameplay might be fun if you have some friends to play it with, but it got boring very quickly for us, and the game is simply plain ugly. There's just not much fun to be had in trying to explore the world as everything you find is so basic and ugly. I don't think you can compare it to Minecraft in that regard, as in that game at least people could get really creative in making some weird and impressive stuff with the environment.

This just boils down to trying to survive some ugly zombies attacking you every now and again, and maybe making a base with some friends. There are better games out there.

I also saw a gameplay video of someone from the development team demoing the console version, and it really feels like it's coming to consoles way, way too early. I can stand less-than impressive graphics if the gameplay is fun, but this is just ugly and the gameplay feels cobbled together from a thousand different games, but never that satisfactory in itself.

Edit: Here's the gameplay demo for the PS4 version for anyone that's interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL9xFMvG0BI

And here's the ridiculously overproduced live action trailer Telltale Games made for it (the game isn't nearly as cool as this trailer makes it seem): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rt5Rf4dGyc

Karak

This game has caught my eye from time to time, so I went ahead pre-ordered on PS4 with the discount on PSN. Just wondering if there is any excitement out there? Despite the dated visuals, it looks pretty damn addictive to me.

Covered it many times on the channel and will be jumping into the console version absolutely fatastic little title

ironcreed

Banned
Covered it many times on the channel and will be jumping into the console version absolutely fantastic little title

Excellent, I always enjoy your content. I'll hop on over and check it out and hope to see some console footage from you before it releases.

Looks to drawn out, involved and boring for me. I don't enjoy this type of game, nor do I have the time for it.

I don't like crafting or building.

Prophane33

Have any of these survival-type games ever gone out of early access? I was incredibly interested in Day Z, and bought it on the PC and it was simply awful. That is another game that supposedly has a console release at some point.

While I don't exactly see the problem with an early access game being released on a console, I think that trying to sell it as a full retail experience is disingenuous. There was a big boom of these survival games in early access and I don't believe that any of them (to my knowledge) have ever left that status, despite their popularity.

More on topic, this like many of those games is something I would be a lot more interested in as a fully fleshed out and stable product vs. something that will be constantly patched. Furthermore, games like this (so far) have only really been done on PC, and doesn't outright seem like the sort of experience that would work well on a console; however, it's just a matter of time before some game proves me completely and utterly wrong. Pardon my pessimism, but I doubt this (and certainly not Day Z) will be the one to do so.

Looks quite terrible, graphics wise, animation wise, and just like any other survival out there...but worse.

The only redeeming factor is the splitscreen, but not enough to have interested.

Top Bottom