• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Daigo unsure if SFV will still be played in Japan next year due to no arcade release.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/jun/23/daigo-unsure-if-street-fighter-5-will-still-be-played-next-year-says-hes-not-ready-evo-focusing-more-capcom-cup/

Recently producer of Daigo the Beast TV/ translator tweeted out Daigo's feeling on the Japanese SFV scene. Apparently due to the Lack of arcade release (Arcade release W/O Arcade mode? LOL) Japanese scene is losing interest in the game....

He also said he is not ready to win EVO but focusing his attention for Capcom cup.

We all know Arcades are still doing really well in Japan and their FGC revolves around arcades. Without any arcade release looks like SFV interest is waning :(

You guys think SFV Japanese scene will survive w/o arcade support? You guys think SFV will be abandoned in Japan next year? Man w/o the Japanese players these tournaments will be sooo anti hype to watch. Infiltration will own all and if hes not attending then justin will own all.....

Credit: JIYUNA on tweeter and eventhubs...

Mods can close this if they feel the thread is too negative on SFV. But this guy is the face of the capcom games and FGC..And even he is not sure about SFV being active in Japan :(

Neoxon

My fear is that this thread will become another shit-on-SFV thread when it should really be about the viability of arcade releases these days.

That said, since we have no word about KoFXIV getting an arcade release, I also fear for its long-term health in Japan.

My fear is that this thread will become another shit-on-SFV thread when it should really be about the viability of arcade releases these days.

That said, since we have no word about KoFXIV getting an arcade release, I also fear for its long-term health in Japan.

changed the title hopefully everyone will see the updated title soon. And yeah man Japanese FGC need arcade mode of games to really thrive competitively.

Lothars

to me that says more about the viability and cost of having an arcade versions of the games than anything else.

It probably is better initally for a game to have an arcade release especially for balance but it seems like the cost is not worth it anymore.

Neoxon

changed the title hopefully everyone will see the updated title soon. And yeah man Japanese FGC need arcade mode of games to really thrive competitively.
I'd PM a mod to make sure that the change goes through.

That said, I'm curious on if Sony being involved with SFV's development has anything to do with the lack of an arcade release.

raven777

I guess Japan has to go through the transition of arcadeless Street Fighter community.....

Maybe they will release arcade version of SFV in the future?

Vice

The scene will survive even without an arcade release in Japan. If it dies down it's likely the same Japanese players that travel now would still go to the same big events if they like the game.
As far as tournament variation goes the handful of Japanese players that do well are the ones who are likely to travel a lot have for years. Outside of Haitani who still showed up to overseas tournaments years ago.

I'd PM a mod to make sure that the change goes through.

That said, I'm curious on if Sony being involved with SFV's development has anything to do with the lack of an arcade release.

is this the first mainline SF that didn't have an arcade release? I mean I think it is but I could be wrong.

KingBroly

Banned
to me that says more about the viability and cost of having an arcade versions of the games than anything else.

It probably is better initally for a game to have an arcade release especially for balance but it seems like the cost is not worth it anymore.

Tekken 7 got released in Arcades. Dunno how it's doing, though.

But if Fighters need Arcade releases to stay alive in Japan, yeah, that's not a good sign.

Neoxon

What we got with Street Fighter V as it came out was basically what would have been the initial arcade release (more so with the roster). For reference, Street Fighter IV hit arcades with a roster of 16 characters, then received 3 more later down the road (Akuma, Gouken, & Seth). It was the console release of SFIV eventually gave us the likes of Sakura & Cammy.

I do think that going to arcades first would have helped SFV in the long-run. But not only are arcades not viable outside of Japan (as you said), but Sony likely wanted SFV out ASAP for the sake of the PS4's foothold on the FGC.

Neoxon

This is interesting though.

What's in the arcades in Japan that's new and fairly traditional 2D fighting?
Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- & BlazBlue Central Fiction come to mind. There's also Tekken 7 (Fated Retribution) & Pokkén Tournament, but they aren't exactly traditional 2D fighters.

Tekken 7 got released in Arcades. Dunno how it's doing, though.

But if Fighters need Arcade releases to stay alive in Japan, yeah, that's not a good sign.

Consoles are not doing too hot in Japan. Handheld and cell phone gaming is really huge now over there. Most people who want to play FG seriously play on arcades over there I think. I think they like the social aspect of it. Share strats, learn strats etc.

raven777

Isn't Japanese arcade scenes mostly dominated by Gundam VS games and other type style of games compared to traditional fighting games these days? It's been a while since I have been to Japan but last time I went, while some big name fighting games like Tekken and SF4 were still popular, it was nowhere near likes of Gundam VS games..

Tizoc

Yeah, USF4 is still being played to this day in Japan, just look up game acho's channel.
I could see Capcom releasing this on Arcades by year's end or next year in Japan.

HotHamBoy

Wouldn't it make sense for Capcom to release an arcade version after all the DLC releases for the season?

Certainly Capcom will create a "Super" or Double Impact version of the game that will tweak the gameplay in the way SSFIV and, to a lesser extent, Arcade Edition and Ultra did.

Seems to me like this update will be some form of DLC on consoles, free or paid, providing them a perfect opportunity to then offer Super Street Fighter V as a new $40 retail disc that includes all 6 DLC fighters and content updates. Again, it would still be DLC for vanilla owners. That falls in line with their promise to not *need* to buy a new disc

An arcade version of Super releases first for balancing and hype, releases later on console/PC as update and new retail SKU. They lrobably really need to do this to recapture the market.

Hopefully they'll redo the HUD and menus like they did for SSFIV if it happens.

Shadoken

How would they update the Arcades? Would they get monthly updates for each character?

Or perhaps they can update the Arcades once after every Season is done on consoles.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
"I wonder if this is a Gunslinger thread" when I clicked it

sure enough

Neoxon

An interesting thought, wouldn't an arcade release of Street Fighter V require a massive hard drive? Part of the reason why we got editions of previous games (Ex: SFIII:NG-SFIII:SI-SFIII:TS, SFIV-SFIV-SSFIV:AE-USFIV) was because of how arcade cabinets were handled back then. And while yes, there are arcades that can receive updates these days, the way that Street Fighter V's updates are structured (I.E. Doing away with Super versions in exchange for a steady stream of DLC) may require quite a bit of hard drive space to accommodate for 5+ years of additional characters, stages, costumes, & more.

Zerojul

Sweet, the number of negative SFV threads was taking a nosedive lately,glad to see it picking up again.
If the money is there with the CPT they will keep playing.
This. If there's money to be made Japanese - and others - pros will be here.

HotHamBoy

How would they update the Arcades? Would they get monthly updates for each character?

Or perhaps they can update the Arcades once after every Season is done on consoles.

I think releasing DLC characters in arcade first would drive their sales when they release on consoles *and* drive the arcade scene.

Vice

An interesting thought, wouldn't an arcade release of Street Fighter V require a massive hard drive? Part of the reason why we got editions of previous games (Ex: SFIII:NG-SFIII:SI-SFIII:TS, SFIV-SFIV-SSFIV:AE-USFIV) was because of how arcade cabinets were handled back then. And while yes, there are arcades that can receive updates these days, the way that Street Fighter V's updates are structured (I.E. Doing away with Super versions in exchange for a steady stream of DLC) may require quite a bit of hard drive space to accommodate for 5+ years of additional characters, stages, costumes, & more.
Massive as in like 1tb.

OniBaka

Isn't Japanese arcade scenes mostly dominated by Gundam VS games and other type style of games compared to traditional fighting games these days? It's been a while since I have been to Japan but last time I went, while some big name fighting games like Tekken and SF4 were still popular, it was nowhere near likes of Gundam VS games..
Yes it is, I was just in Japan recently and also didn't see a lot of people play tekken 7. Shame as I wanted to vs some Japanese players in sfv while I was there.

They can pull a Next Level. Just add stations with consoles and fightsticks. And you pay by the hour or for whole day. Next Level one of the last reason why NYC SFV scene still exist.

Neoxon

Wouldn't it make sense for Capcom to release an arcade version after all the DLC releases for the season?

Certainly Capcom will create a "Super" or Double Impact version of the game that will tweak the gameplay in the way SSFIV and, to a lesser extent, Arcade Edition and Ultra did.

Seems to me like this update will be some for of DLC on consoles, free or paid, providing them a perfect opportunity to then offer Super Street Fighter V as a new $40 retail disc that includes all 6 DLC fighters and content updates. Again, it would still be DLC for vanilla owners. That falls in line with their promise to not *need* to buy a new disc

An arcade version of Super releases first for balancing and hype, releases later on console/PC as update and new retail SKU. They lrobably really need to do this to recapture the market.

Hopefully they'll redo the HUD and menus like they did for SSFIV if it happens.
As stated earlier, Capcom has completely moved away from the Super method of updating games. Part of the reason for this is because, even with a DLC upgrade, Super versions have major balance changes that cut off those with the Vanilla version of the game from being competitive. As a result, the player-base ends up being cut in half as far as being competitive. What I'm saying is that the way Capcom justified their move to their current DLC distribution method, there won't be a DLC update like Arcade Edition or Ultra. Sure, we could get something like "Street Fighter V: Wave 1 Collection", but don't expect the Super name to be attached (as it would give the wrong idea to the average joe, making them think that Capcom went back on their word).

HotHamBoy

Storage media is a pretty cheap component compared to the total cost of an arcade machine.

Neoxon

Storage media is a pretty cheap component compared to the total cost of an arcade machine.
My concern was that getting, say, a 1TB hard drive (in order to future-proof the hypothetical SFV cabinets, seeing as the SFV updates are already adding up in terms of how much hard drive space they take up) may be a bit costly compared to the hard drives used for the Tekken 7 or GGXrd cabinets. But if said hard drives aren't that expensive compared to the rest of the cabinet, then maybe it won't be an issue. That said, Capcom could just make a new cabinet at the end of each DLC wave if hard drive costs were an issue.

HotHamBoy

As stated earlier, Capcom has completely moved away from the Super method of updating games. Part of the reason for this is because, even with a DLC upgrade, Super versions have major balance changes that cut off those with the Vanilla version of the game from being competitive. As a result, the player-base ends up being cut in half as far as being competitive. What I'm saying is that the way Capcom justified their move to their current DLC distribution method, there won't be a DLC update like Arcade Edition or Ultra. Sure, we could get something like "Street Fighter V: Wave 1 Collection", but don't expect the Super name to be attached (as it would give the wrong idea to the average joe, making them think that Capcom went back on their word).

That's hardly unprecedented, especially for Capcom. They said there would be no more discs after SSFIV, iirc. Regardless, even if they don't call it "Super" they could still call it "Arcade Edition." And again, they could call it Super and make it a free, substantial update on console.

Honestly, I think it would be the best thing for Capcom and the fanbase to wipe away the stigma from the awful launch of SFV by rebranding it. They can't really make things worse than they already have. People need to know that the game isn't what it was in February.

Neoxon

That's hardly unprecedented, especially for Capcom. They said there would be no more discs after SSFIV, iirc. Regardless, even if they don't call it "Super" they could still call it "Arcade Edition." And again, they could call it Super and make it a free, substantial update on console.

Honestly, I think it would be the best thing for Capcom and the fanbase to wipe away the stigma from the awful launch of SFV by rebranding it. They can't really make things worse than they already have. People need to know that the game isn't what it was in February.
But again, it would give the wrong idea that Capcom went back on their word, which would do much more damage than you'd think in the long-run, when it would theoretically be just a compilation of that year's DLC.

HotHamBoy

I'm actually pretty surprised they didn't make Arcade releases japan only.

They weren't going to make the game at all.

Honestly, I'm glad we got what we did out of SFV, because little did we know how close we were to not getting anything. At least for a long, long time.

But again, it would give the wrong idea that Capcom went back on their word, which would do much more damage than you'd think in the long-run, when it would theoretically be just a compilation of that year's DLC.

Capcom needs to sell a lot more copies of the game for it to have legs in the long run. That's not going to happen as it stands. I think SFV has damaged the brand plenty. Capcom already looks like clowns for a myriad of reasons. Regardless of what they call it, they need a new disc with all year one content and updates.

Neoxon

Honestly, I'm glad we got what we did out of SFV, because little did we know how close we were to not getting anything. At least for a long, long time.
Actually, had Sony not stepped in, we would be waiting until 2018 for Street Fighter V. It was gonna happen either way, Sony only sped up the process. It's a common misconception.

BlizzKrut

Banned
He also said the same thing about SF4, in fact the vanilla edition got around the same "hate" SFV is getting right now, should come as no surprise to some.

Still, you'd think Sony selling specific PS4 arcade cabinets for SFV would be another outlet to sell through.

He also said the same thing about SF4, in fact the vanilla edition got around the same "hate" SFV is getting right now, should come as no surprise to some.

I don't recall "vanilla" SFIV being hated. As a matter of fact vanilla had almost a year in arcade before home console release.

HotHamBoy

I don't recall "vanilla" SFIV being hated. As a matter of fact vanilla had almost a year in arcade before home console release.

Vanilla did fantastic in the mainstream. It was a huge nostalgia bait. But competitively, the game faced a lot of push-back and criticism. It wasn't well balanced, that's for sure.

It's no surprise that SFV couldn't capitalize on that nostalgia. In a way, it's like SF3. Small roster, new faces, returning character redesigns. Rushed to completion. Lacks familiarity. Of course, there were 4 different releases on SFIV over last gen, too.

Mechazawa

My concern was that getting, say, a 1TB hard drive (in order to future-proof the hypothetical SFV cabinets, seeing as the SFV updates are already adding up in terms of how much hard drive space they take up) may be a bit costly compared to the hard drives used for the Tekken 7 or GGXrd cabinets. But if said hard drives aren't that expensive compared to the rest of the cabinet, then maybe it won't be an issue. That said, Capcom could just make a new cabinet at the end of each DLC wave if hard drive costs were an issue.

Uh, I think you are massively overestimating how big SFV will be at the end of it's life and massively underestimating how cheap harddrives are. There's no iteration of the game that will ever even approach 1TB.

Whatever arcades currently pay to get updated boards for new iterations of games almost certainly massively eclipses having to get a bunch of 50 dollar harddrives.

Top Bottom