• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4Gamer Interviews SNK (On leaving Pachislot, Mark of the Wolves 2, KOFXIV dev etc.)

Warxard

Banned
http://www.4gamer.net/games/317/G031749/20160613002/index_2.html

4Gamer interviews KOFXIV producer Yasuyuki Oda, KOFXIV Battle Designer Hayato Watanabe, SNK artist (the bad one) Eisuke Ogura and Neo_G - former Capcom guy known for DMC, BASARA and 3rd Strike.

Lot of dope information in here regarding the staff, KOF's development in the past and future, unfinished stuff, requested characters etc.

There is a full translation of the information here: http://www.mmcafe.com/news/posts/10196.html That should give a complete overview of everything detailed. Thanks to MMCafe and I believe AT_Ryo_Sakazaki for their work on translating.

Here's something that interested me specifically:

- Oda keeps getting told by fans everywhere for a MOTW sequel so he feels obligated to make it one day. (Note: 4gamer has a photo of characters that were designed for the original Neo Geo). In addition, he also wants to make a new AOF since the series never got far enough to find its answer as a fighting game. He also wants to make an Athena and Metal Slug.

- The first company that Neo_G want for after graduating from school was SNK. He failed after applying for planner position because the test told him to draw Nakoruru, and he could only do stick figures. He played Samurai Shodown all the time and wants to make a seriously bloody Samurai Shodown for grown-ups, almost like an MK but with a traditional Japanese samurai drama taste.

- Ogura wants to make a new World Heroes because noone will complain no matter how crazy he goes on it.

- Watanabe wants to make a new Buriki-One, now that consoles come with two analog sticks. He thinks the game can be refined for more fun. But what he truely wants to do is a new fighter or a new action game series.

Warxard

Banned
Please do it... That will be so awesome

Samurai Shodown has been leaked multiple times before and it's probably something they'll put into full production next after KOFXIV. It's only a matter of time.

The real question is if Neo_G is the combat designer for it.

I'd be on board with all these ideas. Even a new World Heroes! Glad there is still some enthusiasm for the old SNK properties outside of KOF and Metal Slug.

Also, I just learnt that Mad Man's Cafe still exists.

thuway

A Samurai Showdown being seriously bloody sounds awesome. I just hope they use the Guilty Gear Xrd style and not the latest KOF engine.

BadWolf

There will be a follow up translation to this:

The translation is actually missing a chunk of stuff from the second half. It's coming next as another article because damn it, Neo_G... every thing he says naturally seems to end up being almost like an anti-thesis to the current Capcom, even though he doesn't mean it at all.

He also says some really wacky stuff that's going to make some people scratch their heads. It's quite something.

But overall though, I really like this new development team behind KOF14. Their views on fighting games-- particularly about the e-sports scene which is coming up next, completely follows my thoughts.

No wonder he left Capcom.

Warxard

Banned
Thanks BadWolf, will update the second part when the translation is finished.

A Samurai Showdown being seriously bloody sounds awesome. I just hope they use the Guilty Gear Xrd style and not the latest KOF engine.

Read the OP. They're using their in-house stuff to improve with the technology. What Arc Sys does with Xrd's tech is NOT easily repeatable and requesting things like that is fucking silly.

TreIII

Samurai Shodown has been leaked multiple times before and it's probably something they'll put into full production next after KOFXIV. It's only a matter of time.

The real question is if Neo_G is the combat designer for it.

At this point, I couldn't see who else would be.

At the very least, he's the main one expressing some passion for such a project. That likely is a good indication of who will likely be one of the ones in the hot seat for directing and/or designing for the project, once it actually gets underway. Besides, what else would they have hired this guy for, with all the credentials he brings to the table, if he wasn't going to be put to work on helping SNK get back to its proper place? He just missed out on having a pivotal role in KOFXIV only because he was bought on board towards the end, after all.

But in any case, ALL OF MY YES, if this comes to pass. SS is my number one favorite SNK franchise, after all!

SMG

Glad SNK is coming back hard :) and hope SEGA take note. Mid budget continuations of loved games is a good bet to make.

JayEH

They keep saying all the right things and seem very genuine about it. KOF xiv might be my most antipicated game this year. JUST PLEASE HAVE GOOD NETCODE. This all
crashes if the online is shit.

Anyway, I hope the game does well and Snk comes back in a big way. Hopefully filling the gap left by other Japanese developers.

Syril

Please do it... That will be so awesome

Yeah, wasn't it called Samurai Shodown V Special? Or is the fatality where a water demon lifts one of several child characters into the air, explodes them, and then showers in their blood not quite there yet?

TreIII

Where CvS3 tho?

Ask Capcom.

But in any case, SNK has reiterated more than once that they're going to be focusing on building up their own brands. So any crossover collab is likely not going to be something they're thinking about the moment.

Naite

Great read.

Love hearing them bring up their older franchises. As much as I like KoF, I didnt like the period where they only stuck to KoF and the occasional Metal Slug and Samurai Shodown.

Newboi

Can anyone elaborate on how Capcom burned SNK or Namco? In SNK's case, both they and Capcom made crossover titles. CvS1 was popular enough for them to collaborate on a sequel, which was even more well received. SvC:Chaos was horrible though unfortunately. I know in the case of CvS, character balancing was eschewed towards Capcom's fighters overall, but the SNK characters were still incredibly fun to play.

Warxard

Banned
Can anyone elaborate on how Capcom burned SNK or Namco? In SNK's case, both they and Capcom made crossover titles. CvS1 was popular enough for them to collaborate on a sequel, which was even more well received. SvC:Chaos was horrible though unfortunately. I know in the case of CvS, character balancing was eschewed towards Capcom's fighters overall, but the SNK characters were still incredibly fun to play.

SNK didn't get paid when CvS2 released.

kunonabi

These guys sound exactly like the kind of people I'd want heading up KOF and SNK in general. I really hope this SNK revival is a resounding success.

Mechazawa

- The first company that Neo_G want for after graduating from school was SNK. He failed after applying for planner position because the test told him to draw Nakoruru, and he could only do stick figures.

Ok, that's hilarious.

Alright SNK, if these are you ambitions going forward, I'm there day 1 on a KOF XIV purchase. I mean, that game looked fine to me already, but MOTW 2 and that possibility of a brutal Samurai Shodown? Let's do it!

I totally buy into the reason why they went with KOF 14's visual style and completely support it. It really does resemble 94's style rather well :)

One of these days I'd like to know more about Samurai Showdown 5 Special/Final.

That being said- the idea of SNK coming back makes me happy! Grew up with this stuff, never got tired of (most) of it.

SNK didn't get paid when CvS2 released.

That, and I remember SNK saying that Capcom refused to extend their vs deal despite SNK still struggling from their bankruptcy forcing them to rush to get SvC Chaos released.

Edit: It was so long ago 2004-2005 or so), I wouldn't know where to look for a source. But I do recall the CvS bIt being mentioned on G4's Icons feature on SNK.

But man, that interview is great! You can really FEEL their enthusiasm. It's exciting! Their idea for a new MK-like Samurai Shodown. I think something like that could really turn heads if done right.

Korigama

SNK artist (the bad one) Eisuke Ogura
?

Ogura's work on XIII was easily some of the best in the series.

Don't really think I'm with Neo_G on the edgy SamSho plan, but his initial failed application story was funny and I enjoyed his work on MvC3/UMvC3, as silly a game as it is.

EDIT: Also, while I understand them wanting to make it more accessible to less advanced players, I don't agree with the conclusion that changing the Raging Storm motion was necessary for accommodating pad players specifically (personally, I haven't had problems using a pad for that motion for either that or characters co-opting it for their techniques in other games).

mao2

What a great interview! I really hope KOFXIV will be successful and SNK will be able to revive their old IPs. However, I don't think I'll be happy to see a gory, Mortal Kombat-like Samurai Shodown... :/

Damn, SNK really does what Capcan't.
I'm all in for a new Samurai Spirits and would certainly praktisch se a new MotW. When is KOF14 due? August? Can't wait! :D

Rymuth

The world needs more Psycho Soldier...and bring back that theme song.

Also, do more genres ala the Resident Evil game starring Athena! The KOF world is ripe for different spin-offs - Do it! Licence the IP out if you have to

latest

The engine thing explains everything about the graphics. It's a shame, but I guess when money's tight, it's tight. Investing in a large roster and shipping a complete game instead *cough capcom* was probably the right call...but they're really going to have to step up their game with future releases.

Speaking of which, everybody thinks they want another Mark of the Wolves, but I just don't see how you do it. The crazy sprite animation was everything about that game. If you move it to 3D, it's just not as impressive unless you're going with next-level Soul Calibur style mocap or something...but does that even fit?

Anyway, surely they must realise online play will make or break this game...although that has been said before about any number of Japanese developers. I really hope they're not making the same mistake Capcom did with SFV and putting a single guy on it and having the game die before it even gets off the ground. Hopefully this is the start of the second great era of SNK.

DR2K

Banned
Well if they can make a decent netcode and it's easy to learn then I'll support KoF14 as shitty as it looks.

Top Bottom