• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I cannot help but feel a bit dissapointed about Uncharted 4

I think UC4 needed to do more to shake up the formula. The game left me feeling hollow and underwhelmed.

I noted before how I found watching the new Zelda footage more enjoyable than my entire playthrough of UC4. I still enjoyed UC4, mind you, but the difference between the two games is one takes many chances and the other doesn't. By breaking its conventions, Zelda has me excited in a way I haven't felt for a 3D Zelda game since Wind Waker. But UC4 stuck to its formula... and watered it down. The more story-driven focus came at the expense of proper pacing and innovations in the gameplay space. New additions like the rope and sliding quickly become a repetitive means to an end, and the refinements in combat go sorely underutilized since enemy encounters are few and far between.

UC4 felt like a flat line with two spikes —
the Italian heist in Ch. 6, and Madagascar/King's Bay in Ch. 10-11
. UC2, by contrast, was near-constant escalation (Nepal through the train sequence to the mountains with Tenzin), with a bit of downtime for contrast (Tenzin's village) before ramping back up (the monastery, lost world). UC3 also fared better, with less cohesive set-pieces (the ship, lol) but enough hills and valleys to provide dramatic contrast. UC4 sacrificed much of this for... walking and talking... automated jumping and climbing... "we need a crate..." "boost me up..." "help me lift this..." and many, many crumbling cliffs and rickety old structures collapsing with perfect predictability.

It's funny how I was eagerly anticipating UC4 and not even following DOOM, but in the end, DOOM put UC4 on hiatus for two weeks in the middle of its playthrough.
Doom is atrocious. Most monotonous, boring, repetitive game I've played this year. But keep trying to pimp it in U4 threads.

I think I played 5 hours before wanting to never touch it again.

Uncharted 4 was an amazing game but they definitely fucked the pacing. There is going to be 20 more threads on U4 this year bashing it, and I can't say I mind because I think ND needs to hear it before they get even worse with the slower moments in the game.

They nailed the combat, I think it has the best action in a TPS ever but they held back so much, its frustrating. I loved the slower moments but they need to be inserted at the right times in between the action, not the other way around. A lot of times I would see a perfect opportunity to have an ambush of enemies and the environment was well suited for dynamic battles but they had nothing. Like in Chapter 12 when you are with Sam navigating, you get to a cliff with a rope, first of all it was utterly gorgeous and "clean" which would make the fights enjoyable since you can see everything, and second there was a rope they could have had you swinging 360 degrees fighting enemies from all over. Instead it was just traversal,

I still like it more than U1 and U3 but it could have easily topped U2. Still my frontrunner for GOTY mind you and I hope DLC knocks it out of the park. Oh man I can't wait for the DLC.

Chrisdk

I just felt like it wasn't really what i wanted from an Uncharted game. Sometimes a new direction pays off for me and sometimes it don't. With Uncharted 4 it didn't for me. I just kinda missed what i thought made the other games great.

I think i might have been one of the few people who missed the supernatural elements. I know most people hated it in the other games, but i really liked it. To me it whats makes the Uncharted games like Indiana Jones. But i'm also easily scared by that stuff.

It's a well-made game, just not a memorable one. Replayability is just not there for me because the walking and talking sections just don't work for me on replays. That is the reason I couldn't do a whole second playthrough of Quantum Break. Did it live up to the hype? No. Is it a good game? Definitely.

I didn't like U3, and from what I've been hearing about U4 it sounds like they actually doubled down on the very stuff that drove me away. I guess this series just isn't for me. Shame because I enjoyed my time with U2 (didn't love it, but didn't hate it either.)

BiggNife

The second half of the game is really solid but the first half is just waaaaay too slow

I liked it but I didn't love it. Playing UC4 and Doom 2016 back-to-back just showed me how much better the latter was at pacing.

UC4 is one of the rollercoasters where you have to wait like five minutes to get to the very top and the wait feels excruciating but once you start going down it's a blast. Meanwhile Doom is one of those loopy coasters that starts fast and ends fast.

Nibel

The "I hacked your phones XD" scene is a classic Uncharted moment and has a spot in videogame history

Other than that I agree with you OP even though I would call the game worse things than just "disappointing"

I think it's a great game but not really for me, I guess? I turned it down to easy with four or five chapters to go just to get it over with. I definitely agree with others who have said fuck all the mindless climbing. It does absolutely nothing for me.

Neiteio

I actually think the first seven chapters are strongest (except for that painfully slow scuba diving level, which is probably the weakest sequence in the entire series). The heist might be my favorite part of the game.

While the first seven chapters were primarily story-driven, at least it was varied and the story was interesting at that point, i.e. the return of Sam, the threat of Hectar, the heist.

Once they get to Scotland, it's just one red herring after another, with no real changes in anyone's character. Just lots of climbing, walking, talking, etc. The sliding and rope are no longer interesting, and that's like 50% of the mechanics right there.

Madagascar being the exception, although even then there are pacing problems, i.e. the overly long clocktower sequence before the set-piece market chase.

Slaythe

Yeah sorry but no.

I thought UC 4 was a breath of fresh air, great pacing, did not rely on shitty "on no i'm falling" and never ending encounters and fights every 2 min.

Loved UC4 much more than I thought I would.

rashbeep

Banned
Yeah sorry but no.

I thought UC 4 was a breath of fresh air, great pacing, did not rely on shitty "on no i'm falling" and never ending encounters and fights every 2 min.

Loved UC4 much more than I thought I would.

There was a ton of those. The game even comments on it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
After finishing TLOU I had to immediately restart it, that's how much it gripped me.
I still haven't felt the need to go and restart Uncharted 4.

leng jai

Honestly I feel the same way especially after trying to complete a second play through. They really dropped the ball with the set pieces/pacing, and Sam ended up being a terribly dull character. I still really enjoyed my initial play through, it's just not as consistently great like UC2 or TLOU and it that sense it's a disappointment.

Ultimadrago

I enjoyed it way more than Uncharted 1 and Uncharted 3. I'm not sure I like it as much as Uncharted 2, but I respect the shift in focus for the final (for now?) installment of the series.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
You're not the only. The only memorable thing for me where the fight scenes with Nadine, those were beautifully crafted.

If by beautifully crafted you mean a pointless (but cool moves) one sided fight where Nathan and Sam both got destroyed with no real purpose behind it then yes. Nadine was a completely wasted character by how she just disappeared at the end and had no real impact at all on the end part. They built her up as having conflict with Rafe and showing a slight connection with Nathan but did nothing with it.

Horrible pacing, even Uncharted 3 was better at this. The first like 9 chapters are boring as sin, and just like the OP, the only setpiece I fondly remember is the Madagascar car chase which was the one already shown in marketing, so there were no real setpiece surprises. Why am I stuck with this uninteresting fuckup brother Sam instead of the more thrilling ups and downs of Nate's relationship with Elena? From chapter 10, she's fridged in the plot until 17 and I just feel like putting the controller down after each chapter. 5 chapters could easily have been cut out and nothing of value would have been lost.

The puzzles are just insultingly easy, and that's saying something for how previous games' puzzles have been.

Honeslty, the only big improvement gameplay-wise were the combat sections. Adding verticality to the shooting more focused than in previous games that just hinted in the best parts. Stealth was needlessly frustrating on harder difficulties (no silent gun/taser, no ability to do tag team stealth takedowns, allies giving away your position while you're crouched in grass, etc), though.

If by beautifully crafted you mean a pointless (but cool moves) one sided fight where Nathan and Sam both got destroyed with no real purpose behind it then yes. Nadine was a completely wasted character by how she just disappeared at the end and had no real impact at all on the end part. They built her up as having conflict with Rafe and showing a slight connection with Nathan but did nothing with it.

Exactly. Her character was pointless and the fight sequences were antithetical to good gameplay.

I didn't really like previous Uncharteds, but enjoyed TLOU, so came to this one with tentative interest. However, although I appreciated some of what they did with subtle environmental storytelling and well directed cutscenes, the main plot was eye-rollingly silly, and the climbing was just bland. Pretty scenery as I slowly made my way through one brain-dead gameplay section after another lost its charm fairly quickly. Also, despite the talk of "wide linear," the game is still just a long hallway with a few pointless side paths that quickly converge.

I don't necessarily dislike a linear adventure, but I do expect reasonably good story pacing as a result, and this game did not consistently deliver that. Left me wondering if the constrained linear nature (despite a few moments where it seemed they wanted to break out of that, like Madagascar driving level) was dictated more by pushing the graphics than by carefully considered story-first direction.

Since I only played Uncharted 1 back in 2007, last month I decided to play the whole saga now that Uncharted 4 is already out...

y'know, i'd always sorta suspected that the more recently you'd played the previous 3 games, the less 'totally awesome!' the 4th game likely ended up being, so thanks for confirming this :) ...

so, no, i'm not surprised you feel this way. i was equally disappointed...

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Yeah. The pacing was terrible and the game was filled with climbing that is not fun nor challenging, I was literally mashing X during these parts just wanting to get over them asap.

i don't really need more action i just need something better than "climb up this linear hill by mashing x for 10 hours".

Same - I would have been happy if they cut a couple of hours of climbing and filled more of the remaining traversal sections with character interactions that actually furthered the character-driven story they were apparently most interested in telling. Compared to the dedicated cutscenes the random dialogue during travel is really underwhelming I thought.

I'm probably among an extremely small group of people when I say that Uncharted never needed sequels in the first place. The original was a cool little nod to the pulp adventure series of days gone but then the sequel turned the set-pieces up to 11 and then it seemed like every sequel after it was damned to be more and more outrageous than the one before it. It had to eventually slow down at some point or another, whether to service the overall plot and its loose ends, or simply because there are only so many crazy things that can happen before Nate pulls a "Hail Hydra" or some shit. As soon as ND announced that U4 would feature Nate's long-lost brother I thought to myself that the well was starting to dry.

I really hope the series changes things up when the new gal comes along, though. Maybe bring a totally new perspective to everything.

Alienous

I enjoyed the game a lot more on the front-end. The first four chapters were probably my favourite part of the game - I couldn't stop smiling through those sections. Then the experience started to decline, showing signs in the Auction House section, but really beginning with Scotland, and onwards. The games core gameplay loop revealed itself to be something fairly dull. Walking, talking, jumping, climbing, sliding, swinging. All of those elements done mindlessly. I'd enjoy a brief bout of shooting, then it's back to walking, talking, jumping (etc.).

The second half would have started well if I hadn't seen the entirety of the car chase beforehand. The second half of the game felt like going through the motions, and in one of the stranger moments of player-character syncronization I've experienced, that's exactly what Nate is doing. He's tired of routine, and I am too. He doesn't care about discovering another lost city, and neither do I. At that point I just resolved to get through the game to see how it ends and it was ok - not terrible, not spectacular. A couple of hours, a predictable twist, a weird flashback, a poorly implemented boss battle, and a trite resolution to the Uncharted saga. Overall the game just didn't resonate with me. It's pretty though.

reKon

Banned
The only problem I had was the pacing in the game. They could have done without some of the climbing, but regardless they climbing and rope mechanics were done well.

The gunplay and combat are vastly superior to anything else in the series at least. Despite the flaws, it's still one of the best third person shooters I've ever played.

Anyone who says the combat gameplay is boring is borderline trolling. It's a game that demands you be creative for max enjoyment. Hell, just meleeing is fun because it's all dynamic

arevin01

i was disappointed of how much climbing and walking in the game

there is no way i'm replaying Uncharted 4, even though i love it but i'm not gonna climb again, if another studio is making Uncharted 5, please make it like U3, balanced between combat, climbing, and puzzles, i don't want another climbing simulator

Intro is horrible with way too much just walking around and climbing. Doesn't help that his brother Sam is not an interesting character.

I thought UC 4 was a breath of fresh air, great pacing, did not rely on shitty "on no i'm falling"

are you serious? there are hundreds of them. literally every 30 second there is one. they became so common i knew exactly when they were going to happen, that's how predictable they were.

i'm not even tackling that "great pacing" one..

The only problem I had was the pacing in the game. They could have done without some of the climbing, but regardless they climbing and rope mechanics were done well.

The gunplay and combat are vastly superior to anything else in the series at least. Despite the flaws, it's still one of the best third person shooters I've ever played.

Anyone who says the combat gameplay is boring is borderline trolling.

what about the climbing is well done? you just mash x and it works, jumps don't need precision nor speed, you can make every single one by jumping out of stand.
i thought the combat was very boring and i'm not trolling, i sometimes considered turning the difficulty all the way down so i could just walk through it and get it over with.

Blues1990

In comparison to the previous games, I didn't care how mundane & grounded Uncharted 4 is to it's predecessors. The pretty blah mercenary Nadine (& her whimpy numbskull companion Rafe) weren't interesting antagonists, though I'm giving major props for Nadine to cut her loses, taking a handul of Avery's treasure & ditching both Nathan & Rafe in their petty sqwabble. She knows when to call it quits, which I can't say to any of the previous antagonists in the series.

Yeah, I didn't like the direction Naughty Dog had taken the series with UC4.

DrD

Biggest disappointment of the year for me. They should have overhauled the climbing/platforming mechanics completely if they wanted to base such a large part of the game around them, it was far too simple. The more open levels were a waste outside of the combat encounters, they served only to pad the game with more climbing and walking. The parts with Nate living his normal life were dreadfully boring, I can see why he kept dreaming of going back to snapping necks.

A big step down from The Last of Us, which is still king of the cinematic TPS genre imo. I can sort of see how the game went through development problems with the old leads leaving and new ones coming in that possibly didn't even want to be on the project initially. The new leads also had to work from the template the previous leads left them with, so we saw two different visions colliding.

Zemm

Horrible pacing in this game, I was bored with it way too many times. It's a decent 7/10 game for me but nothing more. UC2 is and will be the pinnacle of the Uncharted series.

Was my first Uncharted and i hated it. The climbing is so damn boring, linear and easy. there's also way too much of it. It's incredibly repetitive too. for example: the same jump scare happens every 30 seconds. The game drags on forever and nothing really exciting happens, everything just feels meaningless. The plot was well done tho but in the end nothing special. The puzzles are a good damn joke too.

i really don't see the appeal of these games if 1-3 are similar.

Why would you do that to yourself? The collection can be purchased for less than $25.

reKon

Banned
are you serious? there are hundreds of them. literally every 30 second there is one. they became so common i knew exactly when they were going to happen, that's how predictable they were.

i'm not even tackling that "great pacing" one..

what about the climbing is well done? you just mash x and it works, jumps don't need precision nor speed, you can make every single one by jumping out of stand.
i thought the combat was very boring and i'm not trolling, i sometimes considered turning the difficulty all the way down so i could just walk through it and get it over with.

Well done in terms of animations and precision. Didn't mean that it was challenging or anything. The climbing and rope swinging mechanics implement very well into the MP game.

If the combat gameplay is very boring to you then maybe shooters just aren't for you.

Horrible pacing in this game, I was bored with it way too many times. It's a decent 7/10 game for me but nothing more. UC2 is and will be the pinnacle of the Uncharted series.

Uncharted 2 had incredible pacing and better humor. The Uncharted 4 gameplay though destroys Uncharted 2 and it's not even close.

I never really liked the combat in Uncharted 2 and 3 (the two I played before 4) so the waves of enemies they thrown at you during the campaigns got annoying. Now 4 fixed this and made the shooting gameplay better but they also had less shooting and a lot of moments where I felt like nothing was going on, which got boring.
I did like the story but I felt like they made it seem darker than it really was at least from the advertising,
I really thought Sully or Sam might die, also I was so ready for a sad moment that I thought when you play as Nate's daughter that she would find out Nate and Elaina died or was kidnapped, never happened though obviously!
I think 4 did need a little more action and memorable set-pieces although Madagascar chase and the building collapsing were cool.

reKon

Banned
shooters are my favourite genre.

So shooter's are you favorite genre and you consider Uncharted 4 a legitimate boring game when it comes to the combat gameplay. That doesn't make any fucking sense to me. And I know it's your "opinion", but I feel like this is a bad opinion to have.

What makes Uncharted 4's gunplay/melee combat "boring" relative to other TPS's...?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Uncharted 4 has a lovely story, beautifully and emotionally told - good kind of cheese.

The game itself is incredibly repetitive though. The dreadfully boring first few chapters turned out to be a metaphor for the rest of the game - long traversals in samey environments leading to occasional fun encounters. Seeing a place you want, looking for those white ledges somewhere to take you there. Seeing an aparatus, knowing you have to climb somewhere to get it working. Entering a new area like a village, knowing it will be just a grind to get through.

The previous Uncharted games also seemed to have more variety in the environments, and more spectacular set pieces, and more action. Uncharted 4 feels like an Uncharted 1 jungle/cave stretched into game length.

The one highlight aside of the story is the sandbox combat, at least on Hard it's really fun, and reasonably challenging.

7/10

Top Bottom