• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I cannot help but feel a bit dissapointed about Uncharted 4

I completely agree, OP. After liking both Uncharted 2 and 3 (yes, even 3) and loving the Last of Us I thought there'd be no way for me come away disliking the 4th one.

But holy hell I was just flat out bored a lot of the time. Madagascar, the heist and the Pirate city being the worst offenders, which is a massive chunk of the game. I just can not fathom why they thought that what people enjoyed about the series was not the action, not the gunfights, not the humor, not the set-pieces, but the climbing, walking and character drama?

Furthermore how can a developer and director that has a good enough understanding of pacing and exploration to create the Last of Us, create massive, empty and time consuming areas for UC4? Why is Madagascar 95% empty? Why is the Pirate cove (when you use the boat) 95% empty? Also, why am I climbing a good third of the game? I mean, if you want more climbing, fine, just make it way more involved, but no! It is just as automatic and impossible to fail as before! There aren't even any alternate routes, you are just mashing X!

They took the lesson to focus immensely more on the story, but the story is mediocre at best, even for videogames. (for TV-shows or movies the story of UC4 would be god-awful tier) I could go on for a long time about how there weren't many setpieces, how there are long filler scenes, how the encounters mostly didn't even take advantage of the improved combat and so forth. There is honestly so much wrong on a basic gameplay, story and pacing levels of UC4 that I could write at least a dozen of pages about it, but I think people can grasp my opinion already.

It was the first Naught Dog game I legitimately came close to hating and the more I think about it the less I like the game.

DirtyLarry

I cannot help but feel a bit disappointed over your disappointment over Uncharted 4.

Different strokes for different folks is what it all comes down to I suppose.
The one and only thing I can agree with is the platforming did become monotonous as the game went on.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the lack of the Uncharted theme in the menu (Nate's theme I think), and the over simplified and abundant climbing sections.

However, I loved the smaller set pieces and better character driven narrative.

Future

If you are into the story moments, then you love uncharted 4.

If you love the set piece battles and combat tension more with quicker pacing, then you probably like other uncharteds more. This game was like old MGS in a way where some of the cut scenes and slow moments with dialogue (length plat forming) are extremely long. If you are into it, you don't notice much. But damn they are long

This is their best execution of simply playing a movie though. A movie with its slow bits and action packed bits. I definitely felt like I was taking part in everything, even if it wasn't very stimulating in gameplay

I've been mulling on this thought for awhile, and now that people seem ready to really dig into Uncharted 4 - I'll try to expand on it.

Uncharted 4 is the most self-loathing game ever made.

I don't think I've ever seen a game so frequently apologize for its' own existence. While 1-3 would embrace classic adventure tropes with glee, 4 seems determined to call them out at every turn. Constant jokes about the insane mechanical puzzles hidden in caves, or impossible cities buried away in plain sight. If you had to take a shot for every time Nathan Drake complains about a trope that he didn't even seem cognizant of in Uncharted 3, you'd be dead before the credits roll.
It's a game made by a different creative team, and really shows. Shockingly, the duo behind The Last Of Us made another narrative-centric third-person shooter with a focus on cinematic atmosphere and worldbuilding - and a very dark, cynical narrative. In the process, they moved away from some of the cornier elements that defined the series. The scale of the action is taken back by a multitude of ten. There isn't even a hint of supernatural fuckery. By adding in the character of Samuel, Druckmann and Straley even re-contextualize the past three games as a tragic affair for Nathan. Shit, the start of the game even implies that Drake gained nothing from his previous three adventures. Somehow he was only able to leverage three world-shifting adventures into a nice house in the suburbs and an unsatisfying desk job.They were given the reigns to somebody else's franchise, and molded it into something entirely different.
The ending goes a full step further, practically begging Sony to let somebody else make a damn Uncharted game. They close the book on Nathan Drake, and build a new character for another team to capitalize upon.

That's not to say I dislike the game. The mansion shootout is masterfully done, the jeep chase remarkable, and countless smaller moments worthy of praise. But it is very much the GTA IV of this series - a game that aims to critique the entries in the series before it, rather than build upon them.

BumRush

Everyone is entitled to opinions, and I understand that the tonal shift might have thrown some off. With that said, UC4 was easily my favorite Uncharted game, by a mile.

64bitbros

I loved Uncharted 4. Its not perfect, and its definitely different from 1-3. There is a bit too much explory bits and too few shooty bits... but thats all i can fault it. I liked that they paced themselves. Gave the characters time to breathe. They take their time in this game. I like that. I hate rush rush rush games like CoD. And this game is so drop dead gorgeous that it would be a shame to run past all this eyecandy at high speed.

Its easily my least favorite Uncharted, even against the Vita game. When first starting it I was blown away (by the graphics) but after a while I was so bored and fed up with it I could only push through a chapter or two a day. Climbing in an Uncharted game feeling tedious wasn't something I thought i'd say considering I used to beat Uncharted 2 in one sitting. The only positives for me were Drakes basement and the epilogue.

At least the multiplayer is great.

Gbraga

Also I think some users really should take their time with the game and not just try to beat in 2-3 sittings. this is definitely a game to wander around in.

I bought the game week one and only finished my first playthrough last week, is that enough or should I take a couple more months?

Seriously, don't do the "you played it the wrong way" thing. Unless now you want to say I took TOO long and that's why it disappointed me.

There's plenty of people including myself that feel this is the best uncharted. Also I think some users really should take their time with the game and not just try to beat in 2-3 sittings. this is definitely a game to wander around in.
If anything, the game forces you to wander around big empty areas with nothing to do, too much. There is nothing to discover off the beaten path for all that exploration they've added.

Playing it small chunks and exploring more really doesn't make a difference. It just further heightens the amount of inaction and boredom. One session consisting of 1-2 chapters could have little or nothing in the way of engaging gameplay.

Playing it small chunks and exploring more really doesn't make a difference. It just further heightens the amount of inaction and boredom. One session consisting of 1-2 chapters could have little or nothing in the way of engaging gameplay.

Yeah. I played it passing the controller back and forth with someone, and only when we both had time to play it (2 to 3 hours at most at a time).

There were times we each felt bad the other got stuck with an overly long, uneventful stretch. It was still enjoyable for other non-gameplay reasons, but it just completely underwhelmed in the fun/excitement department, and the positive aspects did not outweigh the boring ones.

i keep stopping for days at a time for my first replay. It's just full of frequent unengaging portions.

Arkeband

Banned
It's a game made by a different creative team, and really shows. Shockingly, the duo behind The Last Of Us made another narrative-centric third-person shooter with a focus on cinematic atmosphere and worldbuilding - and a very dark, cynical narrative. In the process, they moved away from some of the cornier elements that defined the series. The scale of the action is taken back by a multitude of ten. There isn't even a hint of supernatural fuckery. By adding in the character of Samuel, Druckmann and Straley even re-contextualize the past three games as a tragic affair for Nathan. Shit, the start of the game even implies that Drake gained nothing from his previous three adventures. Somehow he was only able to leverage three world-shifting adventures into a nice house in the suburbs and an unsatisfying desk job.They were given the reigns to somebody else's franchise, and molded it into something entirely different.
The ending goes a full step further, practically begging Sony to let somebody else make a damn Uncharted game. They close the book on Nathan Drake, and build a new character for another team to capitalize upon.

At the same time, the argument can be made that there's a narrative purpose that Nathan walks away with nothing after (most) of his adventures - he puts himself and the people he loves (and who idiosyncratically love him) at risk. This is largely what UC4 was about, the value of family, and it comes after some very wishy-washy storytelling in UC1-3 where Elena is completely absent because they broke up for the umpteenth time because Nate is so selfish. Every adventure, someone pipes up and is like "This is insane, we should just leave", but Nathan won't have any of it, he has to see this adventure through even if it kills him. And for what? Every lost city will sink into the mud, and he'll escape with only drawings, stories, and some unconvincing trinkets.

The ending of the game revisits this, with Sam and Nate discussing the emptiness that follows these adventures, but Sam is determined to keep going, with Sully being his enabler.

If this was a corny adventure game to follow three other corny adventure games, I don't think it would be getting the praise it's gotten. The game as it currently stands makes you think, and it deconstructs the Indiana Jones stereotype. The first three games were a mostly thoughtless celebratory romp through that genre, and while fun, they served their purpose, and 4 served its own.

Now, gameplay wise, yes, the climbing was excessive, but gunplay was objectively better, there was better melee combat, actual stealth, traversal with ropes made sense, and countless other gameplay improvements appeared out of the tired mess that was UC3. If they continue to make UC games in the future, I see UC4 as an important evolution of the game at its core, and a story that is aimed more at an adult audience than teenagers.

Gbraga

Every adventure, someone pipes up and is like "This is insane, we should just leave", but Nathan won't have any of it, he has to see this adventure through even if it kills him.

This is not entirely true.

In both Uncharted 1 and 2, there's a time where Nate is done with it, he just wants to leave and say "fuck it", but Elena is the one who pushes him to go forward. In Uncharted 1 it's simply because she wants that adventure, she's even more into it than he is. In Uncharted 2, it's because she feels like they have to go on, they need to stop Lazarevic after what Schafer revealed to them.

If anything, the game forces you to wander around big empty areas with nothing to do, too much. There is nothing to discover off the beaten path for all that exploration they've added.
And yet its open environments feel more alive than any other game. Exploring in UC4 reminded me of all the hikes, camping, and traveling I've done throughout my life. No other game has come anywhere close to capturing that feeling of simply existing in an environment like UC4.

I understand why some people might be turned off by having "nothing to do" in a video game. I have friends that would rather mountain bike down a trail rather than walking through a forest for no reason other than to exist in it. Sure, biking down a mountain is more fun and exciting. But to me, taking in my surroundings is overall more fulfilling. Uncharted 4 was one of the most fulfilling experiences I've ever had in a videogame despite not being as fun as something like Bloodborne.

Razzorn34

I enjoyed 4 quite a bit more than the previous. 1-3 had way too much gunplay. This game is more in line with what I want out of a treasure hunting adventure. But, I'm an old Tomb Raider fan.

Now, gameplay wise, yes, the climbing was excessive, but gunplay was objectively better, there was better melee combat, actual stealth, traversal with ropes made sense, and countless other gameplay improvements appeared out of the tired mess that was UC3. If they continue to make UC games in the future, I see UC4 as an important evolution of the game at its core, and a story that is aimed more at an adult audience than teenagers.
It's the same stealth from Uncharted 3. They could've done so much more. It's actually more old-school and barebones where you have to wait ages for patrol paths than many other games at the moment, can't throw things as distractions (like in The Last Of Us), can't use silenced guns/tranqs/tasers (like in the Uncharted 2 museum with Flynn) to take down enemies quietly, and if you're spotted by one enemy suddenly everyone from far away knows you're there. The stealth is especially frustrating on the higher difficulties. One of the most baffling exclusions is the lack of tag team stealth takedowns when in Scotland Nate and Sam do it to one enemy as part of a tutorial. It's incredibly rare and inconsistent that the allies take out enemies by themselves, most of the times enemies will walk right past them.

What are these countless other gameplay improvements? I must have missed them. There are gameplay additions that were pointless like the auto-lock aiming and detection colour system. The only thing new I came across was the piton which was just filler and just reminded me of Tomb Raider. Ok, I'll give you the marking system taken from Splinter Cell, although that's not on the higher difficulties.

Wabba

I think its down too if you prefer the shift in tone. Previous Uncharted game was more like a blockbuster action movie, this is more a action drama. If that even makes sense.

Its not as action packed, but it my opinion it fits with this game since it a ending of a gaming series. Still the Madagascar chase is my favorite moment in the whole series.

jacobeid

Banned
Definitely different strokes for different folks. Everything that I've tried to play since U4 left me feeling extremely unsatisfied. I haven't taken a break from gaming for so long since.....I finished TLoU.

Everything in comparison just seems less polished and not worth my time (other than Shovel Knight, which is the only thing I can find enjoyment with right now). This will pass after a few months like it did with TLoU but it's going to take something good to reel me back in. Honestly it might be until Forza Horizon 3 that I really play games again.

It's the same stealth from Uncharted 3. They could've done so much more. It's actually more old-school and barebones where you have to wait ages for patrol paths than many other games at the moment, can't throw things as distractions (like in The Last Of Us), can't use silenced guns/tranqs/tasers (like in the Uncharted 2 museum with Flynn) to take down enemies quietly, and if you're spotted by one enemy suddenly everyone from far away knows you're there. The stealth is especially frustrating on the higher difficulties. One of the most baffling exclusions is the lack of tag team stealth takedowns when in Scotland Nate and Sam do it to one enemy as part of a tutorial. It's incredibly rare and inconsistent that the allies take out enemies by themselves, most of the times enemies will walk right past them.

What are these countless other gameplay improvements? I must have missed them. There are gameplay additions that were pointless like the auto-lock aiming and detection colour system. The only thing new I came across was the piton which was just filler and just reminded me of Tomb Raider. Ok, I'll give you the marking system taken from Splinter Cell, although that's not on the higher difficulties.
The stealth was much improved from Uncharted 3. To say it was the exact same is just straight up lying. And of coarse stealth is harder on harder difficulties; I managed to use stealth just fine on crushing.

The auto-lock was created for handicapped people. So it's not pointless for some.

Shooting objectively feels better than previous games.

You seemed to have conveniently forgot to mention the rope and driving which are both new mechanics for the franchise.

oti

Banned
I enjoyed the game, fantastic experience. But looking at it from some distance I feel like opinion will turn on it (to some degree) faster than expected.

The stealth was much improved from Uncharted 3. To say it was the exact same is just straight up lying. And of coarse stealth is harder on harder difficulties; I managed to use stealth just fine on crushing.

The auto-lock was created for handicapped people. So it's not pointless for some.

Shooting objectively feels better than previous games.

You seemed to have conveniently forgot to mention the rope and driving which are both new mechanics for the franchise.

The person I was responding to was talking about gameplay improvements in addition to the stuff he/she already mentioned like the rope and melee, which I agreed with, but was wondering what other improvements there were. I guess by you saying I'm lying, you're saying that grass cover is what I'm ignoring? Then I will concede that minor thing, although the stealth functions the same. You can still do cover takedowns and death from aboves in 3. I'll disagree on the driving being an improvement, didn't like the controls for it.

The person I was responding to was talking about gameplay improvements in addition to the stuff he/she already mentioned like the rope and melee, which I agreed with, but was wondering what other improvements there were. I guess by you saying I'm lying, you're saying that grass cover is what I'm ignoring? Then I will concede that minor thing, although the stealth functions the same. You can still do cover takedowns and death from aboves in 3. I'll disagree on the driving being an improvement, didn't like the controls for it.
The most significant stealth upgrade I've noticed is that you can reacquire stealth after alerting the enemy. That's a pretty big change and changes the rhythm of the combat encounters if you take advantage of it.

But you can't go back to stealth after initiating combat in Uncharted 3; you can lose line of sight for a bit, but the enemies are always in a combat state. In Uncharted 4 you can not only lose line of sight, but you can go back to stealth and take out enemies without being seen. That's a pretty big addition that gives you more strategic options.

Also in UC3, as soon as an enemy spots you, combat is immediately initiated. In UC4 if an enemy spots you, you're given a small window to hide again while the enemy is in an investigative state (this applies to crushing mode as well). Having that window encourages players to risk moving to a different location without initiating combat.

Gbraga

And yet its open environments feel more alive than any other game. Exploring in UC4 reminded me of all the hikes, camping, and traveling I've done throughout my life. No other game has come anywhere close to capturing that feeling of simply existing in an environment like UC4.

I understand why some people might be turned off by having "nothing to do" in a video game. I have friends that would rather mountain bike down a trail rather than walking through a forest for no reason other than to exist in it. Sure, biking down a mountain is more fun and exciting. But to me, taking in my surroundings is overall more fulfilling. Uncharted 4 was one of the most fulfilling experiences I've ever had in a videogame despite not being as fun as something like Bloodborne.

I like the idea of it, but I wish "existing in this world" meant more than holding forward and occasionally pressing X. It's not about wanting it to be full of adrenaline the whole time. Myself and many others who are disappointed with this game ADORE The Last of Us, which is definitely not an Uncharted game.

I want more meaningful interaction. It's not that I necessarily want to shoot things all the time, I'm not a blood-thirsty moron incapable of doing anything else, it's just that shooting things is one of the few sources of meaningful interaction we have in this game.

Exploring in The Last of Us was rewarding, it was fun, it had great interaction between the characters through optional dialogues, optional combat encounters, more side stories through notes, and scavanging for resources directly tied back into combat. I never complain when I reach a slow moment in The Last of Us, on the contrary, I love them, in every single one of my playthroughs.

You know, I've been playing SOTN again for the last couple of days because the Bloodstained E3 demo got me so excited, and it's funny to think that Koji Igarashi explicitly says he asks his programers not to make difficult and precise jumps, because he hates them, and yet platforming in his games require a lot more of the player than in Uncharted.

Exploring in Symphony of the Night feels a lot more interesting than in Uncharted because it's not just "hold forward and listen to occasional party banter". I know they're completely different games, I'm just using it as an example because it's a game where the creator openly talks about hating precise jumps. So it's not even a case of "well, Uncharted isn't about precision in platforming", because neither is Symphony of the Night.

The Last of Us has no vertical platforming at all, you explore almost exclusively on the ground, and yet it's an involving proccess just because of the resource management aspect. Not only making sure you're collecting stuff, but making decisions about spending shivs to open doors, for example, and some times having to deal with a nasty clicking surprise inside the room. Uncharted 4, on the other hand, has you climbing huge rocks, swinging, sliding down cliffs, exploring lost cities and etc, but still manages to feel so much less interesting and more automated.

"Come here, I'll boost you up" for the 90th time didn't feel like I was existing in that place, climbing and hiking. It felt like I was watching Nathan Drake existing in that place, climbing and hiking. Having the place he's holding fall a million times, or his HUUUP, HGGNN screams to show how hard it is to traverse doesn't actually make it hard to traverse. I'm just holding forward. And while yes, you can say this applies to every other game in the series, the issue is that it wasn't nearly as prevalent in those games. I never really liked Uncharted platforming, with the exception of combat, where it adds a very unique layer of verticality to the encounters, but it was mostly used as downtime to better pace the game. To not have you shooting things the whole way through. The easy puzzles and auto-platforming were nice changes of pace for a Third Person Shooter. I'm just not convinced they're elaborated enough to flip that structure and basically have the Third Person Shooter being the downtime between climbing segments.

silva1991

One of the things that hurt the game for me was the obvious TLOU influence in it

I love TLOU more than the Uncharted games combined, but TLOU/Left Behind DNA and it's more serious tone stripped the game from it's identity for sure to degree

I mean they were barely any jokes in the game and even the little ones we had were barley funny

hell Ellie alone in TLOU probably was funnier than Nathan in UN4

the DLC better be more like Uncharted 2. Bring back Chloe and she will probably bring the funny moments with her ;)

Gbraga

One of the things that hurt the game for me was the obvious TLOU influence in it

I love TLOU more than the Uncharted games combined, but TLOU/Left Behind DNA and it's more serious tone stripped the game from it's identity for sure to degree

I mean they were barely any jokes in the game and even the little ones we had were barley funny

the DLC better be more like Uncharted 2. Bring back Chloe and she will probably bring the funny moments with her ;)

The DLC should really take place a couple of years before the main game.

Yeah I really missed the humor.

I bought the game week one and only finished my first playthrough last week, is that enough or should I take a couple more months?

Seriously, don't do the "you played it the wrong way" thing. Unless now you want to say I took TOO long and that's why it disappointed me.
I said some users. If you didn’t like it you didn’t like it man...lol

I agree with this, I would have like something besides treasures and optional conversations. And with the Rope, it just felt wrong for Drake not to have an bow lol...

I get that’s not in Uncharted DNA, experience or new tools etc..., but yeah the open areas were a bit too empty with the treasures in really hard places, I think I only found 50-60 by myself.

Also, I think Chloe is better than Elena. I mean, Elena “I get it” but the chemistry between Nate and Chole IMO is stronger than his love for Elena, at least that’s how it comes off. I would have love for Chloe to be one of the sources of info they needed and she get back in the group and Drake has a moment with her, and then have all these conflicting thoughts etc...with Elena, fits with the theme as well.

I like this point, and agree about the value of "just being" in a space.

But U4 didn't do is for me. I think the reason is that, despite being beautiful, the environments are incredibly static and linear. The only place to go is forward, the weather doesn't change, the time of day doesn't change, there's no meaningful ecosystem.

It's like going to a museum, where something like Witcher 3, or even Skyrim (which I really don't like) are more like going hiking or camping. Okami is another one that nails this "being in nature" vibe for me too.

But U4 didn't do is for me. I think the reason is that, despite being beautiful, the environments are incredibly static and linear. The only place to go is forward, the weather doesn't change, the time of day doesn't change, there's no meaningful ecosystem.

It's like going to a museum, where something like Witcher 3, or even Skyrim (which I really don't like) are more like going hiking or camping. Okami is another one that nails this "being in nature" vibe for me too.

I agree. When I first read that post, Okami and The Witcher 3 were the first two games that came to mind actually. Definitely didn't get that feeling from Uncharted 4. The generic Hollywood soundtrack didn't help either. Music more particular to each region would've helped a bit.(i.e. Madagascar, Scotland, etc.)

Hmmm...I dunno, the vistas were a big part of why I like it, the climbing sections were beautiful and reminded me of God of War at times with how small drake got. I really enjoyed all the climbing slow parts and dialog between the characters. And man, those were some tough shootouts on crushing!

I don't agree. While games like The Witcher 3 and Skyrim are beautiful to explore, I'm always taken out of the moment with random POIs popping up and bandits/trolls/dragons/etc randomly ambushing me. I can't go 2 minutes in those games without some random event happening that reminds me that I'm playing a videogame. As for the linearity, I'm fine with it. Most of the time I hike I'm following a narrow trail. I don't need dynamic weather systems and time of day changes either. Besides, time of day changes are another thing that takes me out of games like The Witcher considering last time I checked, a full day/night cycle takes a bit longer than 20 minutes. Whenever I hike in real life, on a sunny day I can start at 11:00am and finish at 5:00pm; other than the shadows moving, the lighting stays mostly the same. That's 6 hours of sunny blue skies. That would be like 10 days, and a 100 different weather changes in an RPG. Besides, its not like the weather and lighting in UC4 was always static. Take chapter 13 for example; you start on a boat on a nice sunny day, and you end the chapter with a storm about to hit. It might not have been "dynamic", but it was convincing.

With all that said, I have no problems with day/night, dynamic weather systems, and POIs in videogames. In fact, most of the time I welcome it! But I made a connection with Uncharted 4 unlike any other game before it, and the environments are a large part of it.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Having read this thread I understand why fans of the series may be disappointed with Uncharted 4. My opinion, as someone who never played the original trilogy, is completely different though.

I loved A Thief's End. Loved it.

First off, best story in any game I've played since The Last of Us (funny enough). I really cared about these characters and literally couldn't wait to find out more about them, and see how things would work out for them. I enjoyed exploring the many beautiful locations and finding and solving all the various puzzles. The pacing was brilliant, I thought. The story took it's time to unravel (which is a good thing), but I never felt it was dragging along, and there was just the right amount of action beats to provide some excitement when needed.

The big set-pieces were simply stunning. The obvious stand-out being when Nathan and Sully chased the Shoreline mercs, as they chased Sam, through the tight, winding streets and then out into the open fields of King's Bay, Madagascar. During that whole sequence I'm sure I must have had the biggest grin just plastered all across my face. It was definitely the most outright, care-free fun I've ever had in any game. I honestly can't think of anything in any other game that could top it.

Everything looked, sounded and felt brilliant. I encountered no glitches, hiccups or technical issues of any kind.

I simply could not wait to sit down and play for another hour or two. The end, when it came, was perfectly bittersweet for me. 15 hours of total playtime felt far too short, but I was satisfied and happy to see how everything had worked out at the end of this adventure of a lifetime.

And by the way, I've left it a couple of days since finishing my first playthrough before I wrote this. Just in case the excitement died down a bit and I started to feel different, maybe more critical about any aspects of the game.

It hasn't happened. This isn't the honeymoon period. The game is just that good.

reKon

Banned

So much bullshit in this post...

There have a been a ton of gameplay enhancements including the stealth system. It's not perfect and could have maybe borrowed even more from TLoU, but it definitely improved because of the contextual awareness of the AI (yes you can actually lose them). The swing roping mechanics are probably the biggest addition which transitions nicely into MP gameplay. The gun play had also improved substantially and the contextual melee system has been greatly enhanced as well.

Edit: I was beaten on the next post. I'm dumb for not reading.

I think UC4 needed to do more to shake up the formula. The game left me feeling hollow and underwhelmed.

I noted before how I found watching the new Zelda footage more enjoyable than my entire playthrough of UC4. I still enjoyed UC4, mind you, but the difference between the two games is one takes many chances and the other doesn't. By breaking its conventions, Zelda has me excited in a way I haven't felt for a 3D Zelda game since Wind Waker. But UC4 stuck to its formula... and watered it down. The more story-driven focus came at the expense of proper pacing and innovations in the gameplay space. New additions like the rope and sliding quickly become a repetitive means to an end, and the refinements in combat go sorely underutilized since enemy encounters are few and far between.

UC4 felt like a flat line with two spikes —
the Italian heist in Ch. 6, and Madagascar/King's Bay in Ch. 10-11
. UC2, by contrast, was near-constant escalation (Nepal through the train sequence to the mountains with Tenzin), with a bit of downtime for contrast (Tenzin's village) before ramping back up (the monastery, lost world). UC3 also fared better, with less cohesive set-pieces (the ship, lol) but enough hills and valleys to provide dramatic contrast. UC4 sacrificed much of this for... walking and talking... automated jumping and climbing... "we need a crate..." "boost me up..." "help me lift this..." and many, many crumbling cliffs and rickety old structures collapsing with perfect predictability.

It's funny how I was eagerly anticipating UC4 and not even following DOOM, but in the end, DOOM put UC4 on hiatus for two weeks in the middle of its playthrough.

Sorry for the bump, but I'm currently going thru it right now (on "marooned") and yeah, this is pretty much what I'm feeling as well

I'm having to force myself to play it :(

For context, the Uncharted franchise is one of my favorites and I've beaten the original 3 multiple times

Hmmm...I dunno, the vistas were a big part of why I like it, the climbing sections were beautiful and reminded me of God of War at times with how small drake got. I really enjoyed all the climbing slow parts and dialog between the characters. And man, those were some tough shootouts on crushing!

Yeah the environments are too damn nice to only be experienced once. Surprised so many people didn't like the climbing sections. I guess if the game wasn't as detailed as it is I wouldn't really like it as much, but man this game is far away my game of the year. Oh and the puzzles were really interesting imo. God I fucking love the Uncharted series.

Vanadium

R U S H E D

Didn't get the feels from this one at all. Had some problems with 3, but this one was kinda empty. First half was almost entirely on rails. There's some meat in the open areas but just missing the high points of earlier games.

Multiplayer was actually crazy fun though.

Servbot24

Banned
Hmm, to me this was the only one that really delivered the feels. The story was more intimate than usual which was great.

I also maintain that the pacing is masterful in this game. People will realize when they look back several years from now.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I'm gonna be honest, they should have just stopped at uncharted 1, the best one. Nothing else topped it. It just went downwards from there.

Raiden

Banned
I played them all and the only things i remember are from 2 and 4. It was also one of the few games that captured my non gaming girlfriend. The voice actors and characters are so goddamned tight. I really like Sam. As a flawed but human persona. I intend to replay it with the Pro.

I was also disappointed. I just didnt care about the cheesy comedy, the forced walk and talks...

Its an action adventure game that tried to be emotional yet its about a bunch of invincible all stars, so I couldnt care about any of it. Why should I buy any of the emotional stuff when these guys never die or get hurt or lose anyone? Why should I buy anyone is in danger when a journalist and an old man are taking on an entire incompetent army?

Its like it tried to be mature, but its not anywhere near as impressive as LoU was with its characters.

But I loved the treasure story and the exploration of the lost city. Much better paced than uc2 and uc3.

I also loved the final boss.

Top Bottom