• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Technomancer |OT| Get your ass to Mars!

bati

I think the "gloves" are technically the secondary attack with the staff, the disruption move, even though you're kicking with them more often than punching.

I don't know if this is true, gloves talents are in the caster tree and when I checked the upgrade station I saw that you can add damage to gloves, disruption attack on the other hand does 0 dmg if I'm looking at the talents correctly. Really feels like I'm missing something obvious, I went through the guide several times and I can't find anything. I wonder if gloves punches are some sort of special ability, like arc.

So apparently every review has said the Combat needs some major balancing because even on easy regular mobs can wreck your shit can you guys playing it confirm/deny it?

Stiler

I don't know if this is true, gloves talents are in the caster tree and when I checked the upgrade station I saw that you can add damage to gloves, disruption attack on the other hand does 0 dmg if I'm looking at the talents correctly. Really feels like I'm missing something obvious, I went through the guide several times and I can't find anything. I wonder if gloves punches are some sort of special ability, like arc.

Gloves I have found are what affects your powers abilities. Not just the electric fist ability but all powers are affected by your gloves and the stats that go with them.

pots555

3 hours in. First impressions:

+ The setting is pretty cool. I love the story so far.
+ Lots of dialogue. Wow!
+ Graphics are nice.
+ Combat is fun but tough. Going with knife and gun is fast but dodging is essentiel.
+ The music is great.
+ So much stuff to do and the environments are big.
+ Skill tree gives lots of options to really customise your character.

- Basic movement is a little bit off. I hate that you go from a very slow walk to a full out jog. No in-between.
- Map can be confusing with all the levels.
- It's me, but I must remember to save often.

That's it so far. I don't regret my purchase. As other have said, it kind of gives me an Alpha Protocol vibe (and Ioved that game).

Mars Logs was added to XO BC, should I play it before Technomancer?

Interested in this question as well. Mars War Logs is $10, thinking about picking it up. For those who have played MWL, and Technomancer, is it safe to assume if I like MWL, then I'd like Technomancer?

Karak

watched ACG's review and it sold me on the game, how long is the base story?

As with most games of this kind its all over the place depending on choices, difficulty and so forth. Could be 25 could be 40+

And glad the review helped you out man.

So apparently every review has said the Combat needs some major balancing because even on easy regular mobs can wreck your shit can you guys playing it confirm/deny it?

Not in the slightest and I am not a genius player and didn't mention that in my review.
I mean if you don't pay attention or know how to evade you can die, or if your an egotistical player and think you can force it, but I do difficulty testing for each review and easy was right in line with what you would expect. Its pretty much narrative level in some story based games though you might get the occasional cutscene battle that surprises you they are few and far in between. There might be a bit more danger if your not paying equipment attention but if anyone is saying they are getting wiped outside of that...no.
Honestly I am literally trying to find reasons someone said that in that manner.

I am not trying to be rude but the more I hear about people having problems in the game the more I think that attention was directed elsewhere while playing it or perhaps they did not feel the desire to protect themselves because some other aspect of the game made them care very little about what was occurring. Both things that can happen. I for one had a number of issues with the combat but the lethality on easy level was not one of them.

Interested in this question as well. Mars War Logs is $10, thinking about picking it up. For those who have played MWL, and Technomancer, is it safe to assume if I like MWL, then I'd like Technomancer?

Mars is a worse game but it has been patched with new voice overs which is nice.

bati

I'm thinking of restarting because I took stealth and I don't even like using it. Which of the talents come up in the conversation most often?

Karak

I'm thinking of restarting because I took stealth and I don't even like using it. Which of the talents come up in the conversation most often?

Conversation or action?
Conversation only, science does a good deal strangely enough which I guess make sense.
Actions and interactions in the game world they all come up.

bati

I guess I mean both, which one has the most use overall. Given how stingy the game is with talent points I get the feeling that you'll only be able to max out 2 or 3.

Stiler

Charisma seems to be the most used dialogue choice, at least from what I've experience so far about 12 hours into the game.

Karak

I guess I mean both, which one has the most use overall. Given how stingy the game is with talent points I get the feeling that you'll only be able to max out 2 or 3.

Well it depends on how you play and a huge thing is the equipment you wear(which is one of my peevs) as you may have equipment that raises you past even where you have leveled but in a different skill but NOT have equipment for the skill you want. But looking back at my 2 playthroughs I would say that most are spread evenly. Much of it DOES matter on how you play though as some interactions just wont happen or happen in reverse. As the other player said Charisma is big for him and it was for me to but it all depends.

idonteven

final boss is insane on extreme...what the fuck

i get 1 hit killed

talking about huge huge huge diff spike...and he has a insane hp bar

Either I'm really bad at this game or it's extremely hard. I'm stil in the first chapter and can't defeat
the renegade technomancers
I guess I must be doing something wrong...
Other than that I like the game so far.

idonteven

no way i am ever beating this final boss on extreme...took me 15 mins to get his health to 50% and make 1 mistake and you are dead and do it all over again

Liamc723

no way i am ever beating this final boss on extreme...took me 15 mins to get his health to 50% and make 1 mistake and you are dead and do it all over again

what were they thinking ??!!

such a shame because i had fun with the game but this boss is just unfair

I mean, you're doing your first playthrough on the hardest difficulty. What did you expect?

pots555

Well, I'm getting the hang of the combat the more I play and I find the game even more fun because of this. The first hours are rough but it gets better the more you play.

Well, I'm getting the hang of the combat the more I play and I find the game even more fun because of this. The first hours are rough but it gets better the more you play.
I would agree. It's tough at first but once you get companions, decent skills and build how you want the combat is perfectly fine. I electrocute or knock over most enemies and my critical chance is huge ha ha. Not sure the reviewers really cared or paid attention based on the drivel a lot of them wrote regarding the combat.

At 25 hours in my biggest gripe is the lack of fast travel. Finishing a quest then immediately having to go back to the same place for a different one is kind of soul crushing. Other than that I'm having a great time. Opens up a lot more from chapter 2.

Unity2012

killed him :p only does 2 moves and once you learn how to deal with it its easy

game gets a 7 from me,took me 25 hours to complete it

Good to read you completed the game. The fact that you put 25hrs in spite of the minor issues or least favorite dev choices is a good sign. I played both Mars WL and Bound by the flame and enjoyed them in spite of minor problems.

Harlequin

This is looking really interesting. I'm probably gonna get it but I can't really justify getting it at full price (or almost full price) considering how many unplayed games I've still got in my library. I really hope the male romance option is Lucky. If anyone knows, please do tell :).

idonteven

This is looking really interesting. I'm probably gonna get it but I can't really justify getting it at full price (or almost full price) considering how many unplayed games I've still got in my library. I really hope the male romance option is Lucky. If anyone knows, please do tell :).

i think so yea

It definitely is if that helps.

so I got the game because eh pay day and I had nothing better to do.

I hear the game shits the bed later but as of right now I'm loving it.

I'm playing as a charismatic rogue. And having entirely stuck with filling up the rogue tree so far my only comment is that the gun is strong as fuck haha. More often than not with my low defense I just stay back and spam shooting at people.

Biltmore

Banned
I bought MWL in anticipation of this game and so far it's not horrible, but the combat is a mess and voice work is some of the worst I've ever experienced in a game. Does Technomancer improve on these or are they both basically still awful?

Also I'm still wearing the fucking starting outfit. Because all of the other clothing I've found or can buy sucks ass. Fashion > stats

Also when the fuck do I unlock Technomancer shirt/jacket? lol

Also I'm still wearing the fucking starting outfit. Because all of the other clothing I've found or can buy sucks ass. Fashion > stats

Also when the fuck do I unlock Technomancer shirt/jacket? lol
You get various ones later on hidden around but you have to invest in power attributes to be able to equip them. I went pretty much Guardian and Warrior so though I use Technomany I can't wear the armour lol.

Alfrays

Neo Member
just finish it, great experience for a game with just 30 people developing it. It lasted 50 hours. The great weakness is the lack of open world and cinematography in cutscenes, but aside from that, its really fun, with an interesting story. 8 out of 10 for me.

just finish it, great experience for a game with just 30 people developing it. It lasted 50 hours. The great weakness is the lack of open world and cinematography in cutscenes, but aside from that, its really fun, with an interesting story. 8 out of 10 for me.
Spiders is only 30 people strong? Wow.

I'm in chapter 3 and having a great time. My biggest problem is Ophir. Going back there time and time again for quests, ugh. I wish the city was better designed. I don't mind the lack of open world so much, just needs more areas to visit.

prudislav

man the TB's WTF is on this is kinda painfull to watch ... he plays it sooooo badly and at the same time rants how bad the game is :-/ He cant even beat prologue without diying miserably
and for some reason comapring it to arkham series and lack of prompts here

You get various ones later on hidden around but you have to invest in power attributes to be able to equip them. I went pretty much Guardian and Warrior so though I use Technomany I can't wear the armour lol.
Maybe with strength it's better, but with rogue where most of my points are in agility I couldn't wear anything that didn't make me look shitty.

So I invested two points into power and I now look pretty boss. I think they give you technomancer armor, at least the first variation after the starting armor, as you go through the story specifically doing the missions that involve them.

The armor does absolutely nothing for me of course since I barely use any technomancy. Every single one of my Points has gone into the rogue skill tree. And in a game where all three weapons types are available from the start you'd think you would regret being 100% specialized in one of the four trees but it's hard to be. I'm poisoning motherfuckers or chipping away at their health with my gun which I can spam shooting fairly often. I've also unlocked a shotgun mode in the gun for a spread shot attack that has the potential to knock away people, great for crowd control. And the other power you unlock is a slow MO mode.

I still gotta put a few more points into the rogue tree to give more specialization, I probably have 5-6 more levels. After that I'll move on to the technomancer tree.

This is one of the few games though where picking a rogue isn't micro management bullshit of constantly using items to coat weapons or, traps, etc

I wish the sneak attacks weren't separated into their own trees, but I can safely say sneaking in this game is near useless. If points weren't so limited in that experience section I'd consider it, but why would I waste points in sneaking when I can put more points into say science for health Regen, or crafting?

Heck I haven't even put points into lockpicking. As long as you are saving money you can buy the materials you're missing from vendors for crafting. Sure it might cost a buttload, but you also sell all of the items you don't need.

I like the idea the game doesn't force you to put points if you have specialized clothing too. Like I only have 1 point in crafting but wearing a crafting shirt which gives +1 means I can craft level 2 shit.

man the TB's WTF is on this is kinda painfull to watch ... he plays it sooooo badly and at the same time rants how bad the game is :-/ He cant even beat prologue without diying miserably
To be fair i was raging at the beginning when I first entered the slums. I was still playing solo at that point so I would walk around and meet groups of like a bunch of people and yet wrecked over and over again. I eventually realized there must be some early party members I missed, so I had to find a path out of the slums I could escape from without getting massacred. And once I got my two companions I was fairly well off then.

It's a huge difference in having party members to take away aggro for you. Even if they're only useful to distract enemy that helps me.

I'm finding a mixture of armour that looks decent but I didn't bother with agility much early though I have a couple of points now. I like the soldiers armour, I have 3 of the full sets of that for my whole crew. Hate the headwear so don't bother for any companion though I am wearing goggles for Zacheriah because with the Vory light jacket he looks a bit like Riddick lol.

I'm finding a mixture of armour that looks decent but I didn't bother with agility much early though I have a couple of points now. I like the soldiers armour, I have 3 of the full sets of that for my whole crew. Hate the headwear so don't bother for any companion though I am wearing goggles for Zacheriah because with the Vory light jacket he looks a bit like Riddick lol.

Agility is solely useful if you're focusing on rogue tbh.

With all of the points I spent on that, plus the abilities I have, I can crit fairly fucking often. Gun crits are fucking ridiculous in damage.

Agility is solely useful if you're focusing on rogue tbh.

With all of the points I spent on that, plus the abilities I have, I can crit fairly fucking often. Gun crits are fucking ridiculous in damage.
I maxed constitution and most of strength so put some in agility for the crit bonus. TBH with maxing out the staff tree fully and the weapon upgrades I critical hit on almost every attack at the moment, it's great I agree ha ha.

Combat in this game is pretty fun, like most aspects of the game it's rough around the edges but I think the reviewers are way off on their assessment of it. If you button mash in you will die but if you dodge/block and use disruption attacks tactically with decent equipped companions then it's fine.

I agree with you on chapter one though, I too went to the slums and took a beating. I think that chapter and Ophir are not very well handled though, it still feels like a prologue chapter, I feel the quests should have been limited to the exchange with David and Jeffery given to you straight away to ease people into both the companion aspect and story with the slums and Underworks opening up in later chapters.

ironcreed

Banned
Word of mouth seems pretty solid, so I just went on ahead and bought it on PSN. Download should be done here in a bit. Can't wait to give it a try.

Grabbed this today, traded in star ocean. I've actually been more excited to play Technomancer than star ocean, just need finish the final dungeon so I can start :)

Stiler

I watched it and man, he didn't use disruptions at all and complaining about the enemies not having icons that flash like the Batman games. The enemies have clear animations that tell you "I'm about to hit your face" so you can dodge, block, or disrupt if you're quick.

Plus complaining about how weak you feel...it's an rpg, that's kind of what rpgs do. You start off with a low lv character that feels "weak" and over the course of the game as you gain xp and level up you make your character stronger and stronger.

Heck you can level up and build your character to the point you are constantly stun-locking enemies, knocking them down, AOE'ing the heck out of them and everything.

I agree with him on some points, the drain serum hotkey on pc, terrible design choice (should always remain tihei same key and NOT switch to the "search" key). Upgrading always feels more worthwhile in games where it gives you something new rather then simply +2dmg+3crit and things like that.

ironcreed

Banned
As I suspected, very cool game. There is some jank here and there in some of the animations and voice acting, but underneath that there is a solid, kind of an old school Star Wars crossed with cyberpunk on Mars vibe in a game that looks good enough, has fun combat for all 3 disciplines, great leveling paths and a deep dialogue system. This is better than you might think.

Top Bottom