• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater: Resurrection |OT| "You have three orders..."

VLESwha.png

ger_packshot_us.png

PSN (Vita stand-alone link) | PSN (PS4 GE2:RB pre-order + free GE:R download) | Steam (PC GE2:RB + GE:R bundle)
Developer: Bandai Namco Studio & Shift
Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment
Platform (digital only): PS4, PSV (Online cross-play between the Sony consoles), PC
Genre: Action/Hunting
Release Date: 06/28/2016
Rating: Teen/12+

Defy all Gods
God Eater: Resurrection is the latest entry in the God Eater franchise, and an enhanced version of the game that we in the West know as Gods Eater Burst, released in the US on the PSP on March 15th of 2011. This enhanced edition was released on October 29th of 2015 in Japan and it is now releasing for us alongside its sequel, God Eater Rage Burst 2 (which will be getting an OT from me as well).

QODeLRo.png

Animated Prologue by Ufotable | Story trailer
Set in 2071, you take the role of a God Eater as you step into your first missions under direct orders of an organization named Fenrir, in its Far East Branch. Your orders are to exterminate the threat that are the mysterious beings called Aragami, and survive. You aren't alone however. Equipped with a God Arc, a special weapon infused with these beast's cells, alongside up to 3 other companions via your friends back at HQ, controlled by AI, or with your own friends via online or ad-hoc co-operative action, your task is to take down these beasts and collect information. The game now boasts over 100 hours of content and included a bonus story segment taking place after the events of Burst is included exclusively in this release, connecting the events of Burst with those of God Eater 2.

vHq0bOc.png

0sacg34.png
Q3iSsBp.png
Wa0PDEc.png
phLziEq.png
dqtG11r.png
m1fBEqB.png
eg7T8OT.png
NuS86tk.png

yb90KUc.png

mjfLAW0.png

DxNlJDT.png
k7Mcp2X.png
While not new features to the series as a whole, all weapon types introduced in God Eater 2 and God Eater 2 Rage Burst are available to use:
Short Blade, Long Blade, Burst Hammer, Buster Blade, Charge Spear, and Variant Size.

Most of the old Aragami have been given a completely new attack while some of them get an attack from the new Aragami introduced in God Eater 2 and God Eater 2 Rage Burst.

As well as that, is a short list of what you can expect in the game:
  • Character Customization (VIDEO)
  • Aragami battles with AI or up to 3 friends (VIDEO)
  • In-game cutscenes (VIDEO)
  • Burst Mode: go Super Saiyan on those Aragami and show them who the true God is!
  • Predator Style: an expansion of the existing Devour function that enables additional devouring options in the form of the instantaneous Quick devour. You may devour multiple Aragami.
  • Transformation attacks: your weapon can now convert itself into its gun mode after a sword mode attack
  • Cross-play(up to 4 players) and save between PS4 and Vita!
eOKPj6F.png

Q: So... I heard that this game comes for free if I pre-order God Eater 2: Rage Burst... How does it work?
A: Rather than having me explain it to you, I will be showing you the official statement on the website for the games, because yes, it is confusing as heck.

US info:
We’re happy to announce the release dates for our GOD EATER games coming to the Americas. GOD EATER Resurrection is coming out digitally on PS4 and PS Vita on June 28th, 2016 (Steam version will come bundled with GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst on August 30th, 2016). GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst is coming out physically on PS4 and digitally on PS Vita and Steam on August 30th, 2016. Take a look at the various special offers we have for the different platforms:

PlayStation 4 physical bundle

Pre-order the physical Limited Day-One Edition of GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst from participating retailers to receive the following items:

- GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst software
- Digital download voucher for GOD EATER Resurrection
- Digital download for exclusive DLC costumes from SWORD ART ONLINE: HOLLOW REALIZATION, TALES OF ZESTIRIA and TOKYO GHOUL

PlayStation Network digital bundle

Digitally pre-order GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst for PlayStation 4 through the PlayStation Network for the following items:

- Digital download of GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst software
- Instant access to digital version of GOD EATER Resurrection when it is available June 28, 2016. Digital download for exclusive DLC costumes from SWORD ART ONLINE: HOLLOW REALIZATION, TALES OF ZESTIRIA and TOKYO GHOUL

PlayStation Vita DLC Bundle

For a limited time, fans who purchase GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst through the PlayStation Network when it releases on August 30th will receive the exclusive DLC costumes from SWORD ART ONLINE: HOLLOW REALIZATION, TALES OF ZESTIRIA and TOKYO GHOUL.

STEAM Bundle

Digitally pre-order the GOD EATER Resurrection and GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst bundle on STEAM to receive the exclusive DLC costumes from SWORD ART ONLINE: HOLLOW REALIZATION, TALES OF ZESTIRIA, and TOKYO GHOUL.

EU, Middle East and Australia info:
We’re happy to announce that both GOD EATER games will be bundled together in Europe, Middle East and Australia!

GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst is coming out physically and digitally on PS4, PS Vita and PC Digital the 30th of August 2016 in Europe, Middle-East, Australasia and Africa. When buying GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst, you will be offered GOD EATER Resurrection.

When buying GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst physically on PS4 or PS Vita, you will find a serial code inside the box. You will need to redeem this serial code on this website and get a PSN voucher code for the digital version of GOD EATER Resurrection. With this PSN Voucher code in hand, you’ll need to head to the PSN and download the digital version of GOD EATER Resurrection. You have until 2050 to redeem your code; 2050 marks the collapse of civilization in the GOD EATER universe.

When buying GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst digitally on the PSN for PS4, PS Vita and PC Digital, we will automatically tie GOD EATER Resurrection to the download so you will download the two games at once. Everything will be automatic, you just need to get the digital version of GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst

In a nutshell, whether physically or digitally, on PS4, PS Vita or PC: you get GOD EATER Resurrection for free when buying GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst for Europe, Middle East and Australia

So yeah there you have it.
Yes US Vita owners got shafted :'(

Q: Doesn't that mean I could just import the EU version??
A: You could. But the code to access GE:RB wouldn't work if you aren't a part of that region.

Q: Dang it. I may just go for the PS4 version then instead... But all my friends are going for the Vita version...
A: No worries there, there is cross-play between the two! Sadly as of now the two console versions cannot communicate with PC players.

I heard that the game got censored?
A: Yeah, blood was toned down, most likely due to ratings.

Does the game come with dual-audio?
A: No. If it's a deal breaker though, you have the option to turn the voices in-game off and play with subtitles only.

upsBS22.png

GOD EATER (Anime)
CJtsGePUsAACwT8.jpg

Crunchyroll | Daisuki | Watch the first episode on the God Eater website

Synopsis: Based on the game but also taking its own spin on the God Eater game, you follow Utsugi Lenka as he joins Fenrir to fight the Aragami

STAFF

Original work: BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
Director/Director of audiography: Takayuki Hirao
Character Design: Keita Shimizu
Art Director: Masaru Yanaka
Color Design: Emi Chiba
Director of Photography: Kentaro Waki, Shigeji Matsuda
CG Director: Masato Takizawa
Editing: Tsuyoshi Imai
Music production: Go Shiina
Animation production: Ufotable

CAST

Lenka Utsugi (MC): Ryuichi Kijima
Rindou Amamiya: Hiroaki Hirata
Soma Shichsal: Kazuya Nakai
Sakuya Tachibana: Sayaka Ohara
Kota Fujiki: Daisuke Sakaguchi
Alisa Ilyinichna Omela: Maaya Sakamoto

mHABLYI.png

PlayStation Universe - 8
Destructoid - 8
COGconnected - 75
Hardcore Gamer - 3.5/5
Twinfinite - 3.5/5
Attack of the Fanboy - 3.5/5
Gaming Trend - 65
GameSpot - 6/10
780H9W7.png

TBD

wP6jmrU.png

You can find the link to the form here, hidden in EMAIL tags (quote to see)

or the link to the spreadsheet here

Special thanks goes to everyone involved in bringing the series over to the West once again, as well as all the sources I got my information from, such as the official website and the super helpful wiki.

I'd also like to thank Sal Romano over at Gematsu for having a great source of news and media which helped a lot with the creation of this OT!

I thought this was out in August?!?

Even though US owners don't get the same treatment across all platforms with the bundle (Vita owners don't get GE:R free), we get to play the first game tomorrow.

But yeah make sure to read the OT very closely since I even added the links. The whole thing is a bit confusing so make sure to read word for word what they say.

Excited to play this again with all the updates. Me and my wife used to play the hell out of the original game on the PSP. Wish one was able to preorder games on the Vita. Can't wait!

Additionally, all I'm seeing on Steam is God Eater 2. Not God Eater 1 Remastered?

Again, OT:
GOD EATER Resurrection is coming out digitally on PS4 and PS Vita on June 28th, 2016 (Steam version will come bundled with GOD EATER 2 Rage Burst on August 30th, 2016)

There's a whole section dedicated to FAQs, and I knew folks would be confused with this. It's all up there.

Even though US owners don't get the same treatment across all platforms with the bundle (Vita owners don't get GE:R free), we get to play the first game tomorrow.

But yeah make sure to read the OT very closely since I even added the links. The whole thing is a bit confusing so make sure to read word for word what they say.

Ahh yeah, US first, i see. Thanks.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'd love to know if Ressurection is any good - loved GE2RB, but the 40 of the GER demo I played felt like a step back systems-wise and reused the same maps on top of that.

I'd love to know if Ressurection is any good - loved GE2RB, but the 40 of the GER demo I played felt like a step back systems-wise and reused the same maps on top of that.

My understanding (and I haven't played yet so take what I am saying with a grain of salt) is that all of the systems from GE2 were put into GE1, including the weapons and some enemies along with their more refined animations. So it's basically GE2, with the story of the first game.

dan2026

So there is no point buying God Eater Resurrection on its own?

You might as well buy God Eater 2 physically and get the 1st game for free.

Whats the MSRP?

Will be included on the first post once we get official links. Afik, the standalone should be $19.99, but folks would be better off with the bundle. The physical release of GE2:RB out in August is full price with the free code in it, no idea on the Digital versions (which is what folks would be getting if they want to play tomorrow).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
What were the Japanese reviews like?

If you like god eater or didnt get the chance to play god eater for that matter but like the "hunting" genre play it.

The reviews would be skewed here since we have gotten the game multiple times now so wouldnt really use it as any sort of source of reference.

One thing though is the game still uses the same general map designs from the original PSP versions so do not go expecting like "PS4" quality production values in that sense. As the game is still the same with the base design of levels. Gameplay wise with mechanics those have changed and were updated to the more "modern" standards of the series.

And things are slightly different in GE2RB due to the blood system.

koutoru

So there is no point buying God Eater Resurrection on its own?

You might as well buy God Eater 2 physically and get the 1st game for free.
As mentioned before, if you're buying it in the US on the Vita, you have to buy GE: R and GE: 2 individually.

The cost is the same cost as the PS4 version of GE:2 ($60) if you buy both GE:R and GE:2 on vita anyway.

sensui-tomo

If you like god eater or didnt get the chance to play god eater for that matter but like the "hunting" genre play it.

The reviews would be skewed here since we have gotten the game multiple times now so wouldnt really use it as any sort of source of reference.

One thing though is the game still uses the same general map designs from the original PSP versions so do not go expecting like "PS4" quality production values in that sense. As the game is still the same with the base design of levels. Gameplay wise with mechanics those have changed and were updated to the more "modern" standards of the series.

And things are slightly different in GE2RB due to the blood system.

I remember you used to comment on this a while back in the Freedom wars thread, if someone liked freedom wars' gameplay they're more than likely sure to like these games right?

Z3M0G

Huh? I own a digital God Eater game that I've played on my Vita... I assume that is Burst??? When I search "god eater" on PSN, all I get are 6 pieces of DLC for other games...

Did they take the previous download down???

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kotpz78vMlI&feature=youtu.be

Were these story scenes in the PSP Burst game???

Edit: There is no option for Vita to get the first game for free by pre-ordering the second one?

sensui-tomo

Huh? I own a digital God Eater game that I've played on my Vita... I assume that is Burst??? When I search "god eater" on PSN, all I get are 6 pieces of DLC for other games...

Did they take the previous download down???

nvm they took it off , i see some posts on this on some other sites , here is the page it had on the usa webstore. (so yeah they want you to buy the new version and not the old one , if you had it before you can still download it) https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...urst/cid=UP0367-ULUS10563_00-GODSEATERBURSTNA

Z3M0G

nvm they took it off , i see some posts on this on some other sites , here is the page it had on the usa webstore. (so yeah they want you to buy the new version and not the old one , if you had it before you can still download it) https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...urst/cid=UP0367-ULUS10563_00-GODSEATERBURSTNA

Thanks, good to know I can still download it. I think I wanna give it another shot before I consider these new games. I didn't care for it much though...

Fighting Monster A was fun
Fighting Monster B was fun
Fighting Monster A x 2 was not fun
Fighting Monster A x 2 + B was where I said "Fuck You"

If the game is just more of that, then no thanks.

It's a shame, because hunting games like this are usually not so story heavy and the story and characters look very interesting.

sensui-tomo

Thanks, good to know I can still download it. I think I wanna give it another shot before I consider these new games. I didn't care for it much though...

Fighting Monster A was fun
Fighting Monster B was fun
Fighting Monster A x 2 was not fun
Fighting Monster A x 2 + B was where I said "Fuck You"

If the game is just more of that, then no thanks.

It's a shame, because hunting games like this are usually not so story heavy and the story and characters look very interesting.

thats generally how hunting games work. This might not be the genre for you I take it.

Damn...

I want both games but I dunno if I can wait 2 months to get them...

I mean, 2 months ae more than enough to finish the first god eater, I could pre order it as digital, but I want the game disc...

mm..MMM.... dunno dunno dunnooooo

Will be included on the first post once we get official links. Afik, the standalone should be $19.99, but folks would be better off with the bundle. The physical release of GE2:RB out in August is full price with the free code in it, no idea on the Digital versions (which is what folks would be getting if they want to play tomorrow).
Ive never played a God Eater game before, so im not even sure if ill like it. Is it closer to MH or Toukiden?

Ive never played a God Eater game before, so im not even sure if ill like it. Is it closer to MH or Toukiden?

I'd recommend watching one of the gameplay videos I included on my first post. Game is much more fast paced than MH, and arguably quite a bit deeper than Toukiden in terms of mechanics. Bullet fusion is literally the most rewarding thing ever once it clicks, since you can create all kinds of bullets for your weapon, and you are even given a gun range to test them out (imagine a bullet that sucks enemies in and then explodes leaving little fragments behind, that kind of stuff).

So yeah, very fast paced, also has a story for you to follow.

So here is what I am going to do. Getting the PS4 physical God Eater 2 (from Amazon with Prime, so $47.99, or alternatively with Best Buy GCU for $47.99). I want physical and Amazon doesn't charge until shipment. Resurrection has a $19.99 value according to Namco's graphic, so I am assuming it will be $19.99 on the PlayStation Store.

There is no way I'm waiting until end of August to play this, so I'll buy Resurrection, which puts total package cost at $67.98. Which means really (math justification incoming) you'd be paying $7.99 to play Resurrection NOW (based on full price God Eater 2 at 59.99 if buying digitally), plus you'd have a download code to sell in August to make back some or all of that $7.99.

Yeah that checks out I think. :)

Parakeetman

Neither, because both MH and Toukiden are closer to each other than anything.

Its faster paced and in general game is not as "Accurate" when it comes to targeting parts and whatnots. Its not freedom wars either since that game melee weapons were worthless.

This game both ranged and melee can be viable when you are switching weapon forms.
My footage from GE2RB - though gameplay is pretty much the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWxknAHtIEQ

Most confusing thing for new players will be most likely getting used to the bullet customization system. That allows for you to make all sorts of unique shots for your gun mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3f1kpo5Tro
(not from the ps4 ver, but the general system mechanics is the same)

Parakeetman

Guess not. Thanks for confirming. I'll stay away. PSO/PSU style (dungeon full of enemies and a boss at the end) is more my thing.

Yeah this is most def not that. Unfortunately outside of PSO/PSU there are really no other titles to fill that genre.

Vuze

Man, I wish they'd release the PC version today :((
Enjoy everyone, I loved the PSP original and can't wait to pick it up again and Coop through it with a buddy on PC. Fingers crossed for a good port too

MilkBeard

I enjoyed what I saw of the anime when I still had my CR membership. Might just pick up Resurrection to give the series a try if it's only $20 digital standalone.

I'm a sad panda that I have to wait 2 months to play this. The original is one of my all time favourites. I could make a us account, but I'm just going to suck it up and wait. I love it, but I'm not going to double dip:)

UCBooties

God Eater 2 is still not available for pre-order digitally through PSN. I guess it will go up tomorrow when Resurrection releases?

This whole release seems like a mess.

Flunkie

Banned
Oh my gosh I'm so hype. I'm going to buy Resurrection by itself on Vita, then preorder 2 so I get it on PS4 too. I think that's the best/most efficient way to play now and get as much as I can.

Top Bottom