• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

7 Days to Die |OT| Survial, Minecraft, CoD, Zombies, Play/Create/Share!

Gold_Loot

So, I'm assuming we're getting some sort of patch and soon?...

If this is going to be how it loads up EVERY time, it's going to be a really sad experience. This is absurd for PS4 users. How did this even seem "acceptable" for put out for launch? I understand its day one and it may have to do with servers and stuff, but man several minutes to register a button press on the main menu? Really?
I'm sure it's due to server load at the moment. As far as I've seen, and others have said, the game was running fine just a few hours ago.

Sye d'Burns

So, I'm assuming we're getting some sort of patch and soon?...

If this is going to be how it loads up EVERY time, it's going to be a really sad experience. This is absurd for PS4 users. How did this even seem "acceptable" for put out for launch? I understand its day one and it may have to do with servers and stuff, but man several minutes to register a button press on the main menu? Really?

I can now scroll through the characters.

Well, I could, then I stopped to type and now no response.

I'm sure it's due to server load at the moment. As far as I've seen, and others have said, the game was running fine just a few hours ago.

I'm pretty sure it's the server load times too. It happened with ESO at launch, I remember being 1 out of my 5 friends who got into the game at launch and was able to play. So, maybe after a day it'll be smooth. I'm looking at the twitter accounts for the devs.

I can now scroll through the characters.

Well, I could, then I stopped to type and now no response.

Yeah, I restarted my game. I'm at Fun Pimps/Iron Galaxy in terms of logo.

[EDIT] I'm in right now, game's running fine. Currently doing the tutorial.

Sye d'Burns

I'm pretty sure it's the server load times too. It happened with ESO at launch, I remember being 1 out of my 5 friends who got into the game at launch and was able to play. So, maybe after a day it'll be smooth. I'm looking at the twitter accounts for the devs.

Yeah, I restarted my game. I'm at Fun Pimps/Iron Galaxy in terms of logo.

[EDIT] I'm in right now, game's running fine. Currently doing the tutorial.

I remember ESO launch. I too was one of the lucky ones that managed to get in that night.

I putzed around offline for a few minutes with no clue what I was doing. To be expected, I guess. I am not a fan of the control scheme. At all.

I reconnected my internet and restarted the game. Connected without a hitch.

Karak

When exactly will reviews hit today?

Not sure how many got advance copies. Some might have just bought it normal. They refused to even respond to me which is rare for Telltale. Could have been an E3 crunch and no time or decision wasn't made until last minute.

Bahlor

How exactly do you start split screen? I cannot figure it out.

Don't have the game but someone on reddit said you have to startup singleplayer mode, then connect second controller (most likely doesn't matter when you connect it ^^) and push options. (ps4)

Well this launch sounds about as smooth as I expected. Eager to read reviews for this today. I'm confused and intrigued how an extremely buggy alpha in early access for PC got a console release but hopefully it turns out okay.

Cornbread78

When exactly will reviews hit today?

Well, there is 1 up there now:

Gamecriticpro (8/10)

The first thing you need to know about this game is that it is early access, meaning the game is not finished. You shoukd expect bugs and problems, if you can get past any problems you encounter, you'll likely enjoy yourself. I've had a blast playing the split screen co-op so far. Also, a common issue with the game is after it installs it might not launch properly, if this happens to you simply disconnect from psn, restart your system, or delete the game and reinstall it.

Cornbread78

Isn't this sold as a "Full release" on consoles? Or does it say "early access" anywhere?

IT says nothing about "early access" on the console release. As far as it has been marketed, it is the full release of the game, ready to go...

Wait, you have to be online to play it on PS4? Why?
Pretty sure you don't. But if you are connected to PSN when the game tries to hit its servers it can take a long time. Thats what I'm given to understand from the posts in this thread, if I'm wrong someone please correct me.

Cornbread78

Added to the OP

Q: How to couch co op on consoles?

A: Start a single player game then press start on the first player controller you should see something telling you on the left to press start on the second controller to join the game

Q: Does anyone know when playing the multiplayer version on Console, will there have to be a "host" online for others to access that particular server. {like console edition Minecraft}. Or with will it be assessable thru a password. So I could go on the server any time I wanted even if the person who created the server is not online.

A: At this time there are no dedicated servers planned for the consoles. Online multiplayer will be accomplished by someone hosting a game and others joining his game through the online network. Worlds won't be perpetually on even when the host is offline. It is most similar to the person to person option we have on PC right now. The limit will be 4 players.

This could possibly change in the future depending on the popularity of the game and subsequent demand for expanding the multiplayer options.

There are a bunch of little bugs going on, many are being discussed on their forums currently:

http://7daystodie.com/forums/

Cornbread78

How the fuck can then release a game when it isn't officially done yet?

No idea if that is the case, their forums mention a bunch of early bugs, but nothing about it being incomplete.

That one review was a "User review" so...

There has not been a single media review of the game as of yet.

Stitch

Gold Member
Just bought this on Steam. Only $9.99 right now. Looking forward to trying it out. I am assuming this will come out of early access when the console versions release?

Nah, but PC will get Alpha 15 with NPCs (Traders & Bandits) in a few weeks. No one really knows if this will make it to consoles. Not even the Devs lol.

grmlin

I would go for the PC version tbh. Updates will be more frequent and maybe available earlier. It should run better and you can use mouse+keyboard.

Would be nice to hear if playing with a controller is ok.

Really disappointingly hitchy performance on X1 from a couple hours of play time and a brief look at it on PS4. That and the barely 30fps is really surprising given what it seems to be doing relative to games like Minecraft. I hope they get to work optimizing this sooner than later because it's a nagging annoyance along with the unpolished-feeling analog control. Fun enough otherwise, but this might be the ugliest, most patchwork-like aesthetic in a game I can remember playing on console in a while. Should have been considered a Game Preview title with the required one-hour trial for X1 given its rough shape.

Nameless

Just purchased on PSN based off the cliff notes, OT, and general word of mouth of the PC version. It sounds like my type of jam top the bottom.

Matticers

I immediately regret this purchase. lmao. The game keeps randomly freezing for a second every minute or so during gameplay. I can live with the bad graphics in a game like this. I can handle draw distance that isn't good. But that freezing is really annoying and disorienting.

GodofWine

I immediately regret this purchase. lmao. The game keeps randomly freezing for a second every minute or so during gameplay. I can live with the bad graphics in a game like this. I can handle draw distance that isn't good. But that freezing is really annoying and disorienting.

Report the bug on their forum, they have a new community manager for consoles, and seem like the do indeed care. Its in Alpha, give it time, sales of these versions look strong so far, so it should bode well for efficient patching

You on XB1?

They really should have waited until the PC version reached Beta status. I think people will be under the impression that the game is done, when it is nowhere near done. It is Early Access.

Matticers

Report the bug on their forum, they have a new community manager for consoles, and seem like the do indeed care. Its in Alpha, give it time, sales of these versions look strong so far, so it should bode well for efficient patching

You on XB1?

I'm on PS4. I just figured it was a known issue that they couldn't work out and not something that was limited to me and my console. I don't mind giving them some time to work on patches before I completely judge the game though.

For those interested in this mainly as a MP game, it does seem like it would be quite fun in multiplayer despite the little issues. I was rolling for a while playing solo but once I died the first time, I kept dying soon after I respawned. With a couple buddies or even playing in splitscreen (assuming the game runs okay like that) things would go a lot smoother and be more amusing.

Cronee

Just bought this for the PS4 and I'm impressed with how it runs overall. I had hopes of a longer draw distance but maybe with some more polishing down the road, it'll achieve that.

Suppose I'm fortunate that I don't have the long loading bug but the pc version can take a solid 5 minutes on first run too. I do get the random hitches every so often, though. It can be annoying but they'll work it out, the pc version had that issue once before.

I've already sunk over 300 hours into the pc version so this is me, more or less, supporting the developers. I hope it takes off for them and doesn't get too roughed up because it's an alpha game. (Even for being in alpha, there is a TON of content and can definitely provide more than $30 worth of entertainment, supposing you're into rather unforgiving survival building games)

Why make you create a bedroll as part of the tutorial if you can't sleep? Not being able to sleep through the night seems absurd.

Also I am trying to cook food but it says I need tools. A pan, what looks like a grate and something else. I have a pan, so any ideas where to find the others? Would have been nice if when you put the cursor over the things you need, they would give you the item name at least.

Why make you create a bedroll as part of the tutorial if you can't sleep? Not being able to sleep through the night is super dumb.

Also I am trying to cook food but it says I need tools. A pan, what looks like a grate and something else. I have a pan, so any ideas where to find the others?
The sleeproll is a spawn point. So if you die, you'll spawn there.

Gamezone

Gold Member
They really should have waited until the PC version reached Beta status. I think people will be under the impression that the game is done, when it is nowhere near done. It is Early Access.

It should be illegal to release physical copies of games that hasn't even reached beta. I'm sure this isn't mentioned anywhere onbthe box or in game.

But again, it's published by Telltale. They also released Game of Thrones and Minecraft story mode as season pass discs. The discs had like two episodes on them.

Cronee

Why make you create a bedroll as part of the tutorial if you can't sleep? Not being able to sleep through the night seems absurd.

Also I am trying to cook food but it says I need tools. A pan, what looks like a grate and something else. I have a pan, so any ideas where to find the others? Would have been nice if when you put the cursor over the things you need, they would give you the item name at least.

You can make a grill (the grate) out of iron rods. Pots you have to find though. Select the recipe and it should list the items you need to cook it. I'm pretty sure you can make charred meat with just a grill. I'm dumb, it's grilled meat you make with a grill, charred meat without a grill.

Edit: you also need to place the tools inside the firepit. Should be some empty boxes at the top right of the screen after you open the firepit. Also, fuel needs to be placed in there as well. Wood, coal, or anything that burns (cloth, clothing, some tools, etc)

ironcreed

Banned

Yeah, it is pretty annoying. But beyond that, I really don't think that this style of survival game is for me. Over heating just a couple of minutes after getting out of water, shitty inventory management and clunky controls. Like with Ark, I wasted my money yet again.

jond76

Banned
Just random gen'd a world and hopped in. This is way more polished than last time I played it in PC (probably at least a year ago).

Crafting seems intuitive, finding loot is great. Digging it

GodofWine

It should be illegal to release physical copies of games that hasn't even reached beta. I'm sure this isn't mentioned anywhere onbthe box or in game.

But again, it's published by Telltale. They also released Game of Thrones and Minecraft story mode as season pass discs. The discs had like two episodes on them.

At least you can sell a physical copy, actually makes more sense to buy an early release on physical. The digital version holds you hostage.

Top Bottom